PDA

View Full Version : WarCraft Encyclopedia

Warlock
11-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Wow, I can honestly say I didn't expect this. Blizzard has updated their page with a friggin' <A HREF="http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/encyclopedia/index.xml">World of WarCraft Encyclopedia</a>. It's rudimentary so far (most write-ups are Elves-related right now), but a great source of lore information for WarCraft newbies to check out and it even has some interesting tidbits for those familiar with the lore. Be sure to check out the Languages section, as that has some cool translations in it too. Many thanks to Creative for pointing this out.

Creative
11-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Heh, no problem ;)

This will be a great help for lore noobs, and Wowwiki might fall! :D

But they should atleast have covered Humans and Orcs from the start, I mean, they are the frikking main races of Warcraft :p

And, the Legion being able to suceed is cool ^^

Warlock
11-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Nah, Elves win through popularity. It's sad but true. Besides, with all the BC stuff, ppl want to read about Blood Elves anyways.

Warlock
11-02-2006, 11:25 AM
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=43424975&postId=432712811&sid=1#20

:D

Kaziel
11-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Again, WoWWiki won't fall, because it's a good source of non-lore related info. Gear, strats, and general game info, it's a valuable source. Just not lore. It's fine if you don't like WoWWiki, but viewing it as evil-incarnate just because it's bad with lore is unfair.

Vicious
11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Oh, Alleria is the oldest of the Windrunner sister, i thought she was in the middle.

Nice to know.

Warlock
11-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Again, WoWWiki won't fall, because it's a good source of non-lore related info. Gear, strats, and general game info, it's a valuable source. Just not lore. It's fine if you don't like WoWWiki, but viewing it as evil-incarnate just because it's bad with lore is unfair.

I agree with that, but as a source of lore it does suck :P

BTW, I especially love that the Prision of the Universe thing is a TD map - which makes it even more rediculous that they considered it canon. It's like writing up an entry about an even where "the King's castle" was besieged by thousands of Gnolls, Trolls, Murlocs, and other creatures, and 12 adventurers banded together to defend him before they could break through to his throne room :D

Warlock
11-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Oh btw, the "Farstriders" under Factions is new info on there. Seems to be BC-related.

ScytheRexx
11-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Its really fun to read and shows some things I didn't know.

Like Malfurion and the Druids were only sleeping in the dream for 1000 years, not the 10,000 that was original thought. It seems they walked amoung the wilds in the years before that.

Its also interesting because it confirms that Tyrande is the leader of the Night Elves, while the majority of Druids and even Malfurion fall outside the Night Elf government. I never saw it that way, but it makes sense.

Kaziel
11-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh btw, the "Farstriders" under Factions is new info on there. Seems to be BC-related.There is a "Farstriders' Lounge" in Eversong Forest. I would hazard that the Farstriders are the Blood Elf version of the Rangers.
EDIT: Possibly with an anti-Scourge bent to them.

Kenzuki
11-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Woot, it's officially cannon that Arthas spared Illidan!

Arthas and Illidan faced off in single combat, and Arthas was the victor. He warned Illidan to leave Azeroth and not return.

Aldrius
11-03-2006, 02:29 AM
Oh, Alleria is the oldest of the Windrunner sister, i thought she was in the middle.

What made you think that? And who did you think was really the oldest? Just out of curiousity. =)

It's probably mostly about Blood Elves, Night Elves and Naga because those are the three most important expansion races in terms of story. :P (Illidan - Night Elf, Vashj - Naga, Kael - Blood Elf.)

Kaziel
11-03-2006, 02:31 AM
Sylvanas the Ranger General would seem like a good guess for who was the oldest. >.>

Warlock
11-03-2006, 02:43 AM
Sylvanas the Ranger General would seem like a good guess for who was the oldest. >.>

Only after Alleria disappeared she was..

Yuber8900
11-03-2006, 04:33 AM
Woot, it's officially cannon that Arthas spared Illidan!

Arthas and Illidan faced off in single combat, and Arthas was the victor. He warned Illidan to leave Azeroth and not return.

Did anyone ever say anything different?

Kenzuki
11-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Did anyone ever say anything different?

People would often comment that it wasn't cannon because that line was supposedly not in the game.

Vicious
11-03-2006, 04:43 AM
Only after Alleria disappeared she was..

She only first appeared in Warcraft 3 as the Ranger General and is stronger then Alleria, that was why i thought she was the oldest.

But this enncyclopedya is pretty awesome, it´s full of small informations that we didn´t knew.

Kerrah
11-03-2006, 05:35 AM
"To carry out his plan, he created the Legion, whose ranks he bolstered by creating demons."

What were there before The Demons were created? Other titans?

Vicious
11-03-2006, 05:51 AM
I wouldn't say so much that Alleria is weaker than Sylvanas, considering her stats are from around 20 years ago compared to Sylvanas' current stats....It's like Grom he's level 23 same as Uther, yet his stats are from when he first landed on Kalimdor. I'm willing to bet he gained a level or two from his battles with Cenarius and Mannoroth. Like Khadgar, he's like level 22 but his stats are before he went Beyond the Dark Portal.

Sylvanas was the leader of the High elven army for a reason and Alleria is no spellcaster, as far as numbers go (so far), i´ll say that Sylvanas is stronger byt yeah, that could easily change.

Edit: I fucking laughed at this, it´s in Kael´thas profile.

He was immediately drawn to the brilliant and lovely teenager, though the difference between their ages filled him with guilt and self-doubt.

To pedo or not to pedo....

Kaziel
11-03-2006, 06:37 AM
Only after Alleria disappeared she was..Gonna be a pain in the butt now, but just want to confirm what it is you're saying... are you implying that Alleria is or was a Ranger-General?

Warlock
11-03-2006, 06:42 AM
My bad, she was Ranger Captain.

Bradford
11-03-2006, 06:43 AM
People would often comment that it wasn't cannon because that line was supposedly not in the game.

Are you reffering to the Fight on Kalimdor or in Northrend? Also I think that I have found a bit of a mistake.....
Not long before the portal was closed, a group of Highborne rebelled against the Legion and, led by Dath'Remar Sunstrider, rejoined the main night elf army.

Didn't he take the name "Sunstrider" After they were exiled to the Eastern Kingdoms?

Kaziel
11-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Didn't he take the name "Sunstrider" After they were exiled to the Eastern Kingdoms?Not according to The War of the Ancients Trilogy.

Kenzuki
11-03-2006, 06:54 AM
I've known why Alleria hated orcs ever since I read the Beyond the Dark Portal manual lol.

Kaziel
11-03-2006, 06:59 AM
Okay, this is what it boils down to... once it's written in here (unless it's changed in here) this is canon. Nothing previous matters. Nothing written by some other source matters. This is the lore in all it's wonderful or horrible glory. Like it or not.

Now, that doesn't mean they won't make a typo or something. If you see something that doesn't make sense to you, send them a email about it, but any would, should, could, was or is, that's contradicts what's written there is most likely wrong.

Kenzuki
11-03-2006, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't say so much that Alleria is weaker than Sylvanas, considering her stats are from around 20 years ago compared to Sylvanas' current stats....It's like Grom he's level 23 same as Uther, yet his stats are from when he first landed on Kalimdor. I'm willing to bet he gained a level or two from his battles with Cenarius and Mannoroth. Like Khadgar, he's like level 22 but his stats are before he went Beyond the Dark Portal.

DreamingGod
11-03-2006, 09:19 AM
It seems that BLZ loves the WotA Trilogy to an extreme. I'm not very happy about that.
Like it or not, Knaak has lots of say in WArcraft lore.
(I, personally, like it.)

(why is my post above what I qouted? :confused: )

xlandhenry
11-03-2006, 12:35 PM
It seems that BLZ loves the WotA Trilogy to an extreme. I'm not very happy about that.

ScytheRexx
11-03-2006, 12:54 PM

What? You didn't think the WOTA Trilogy was canon the minute it was released? Knaak and Metzen are friends, they have even gone to book signings together, and Metzen respects anything that Knaak decides to add to the WarCraft world.

DreamingGod
11-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Kaziel can't post, but heres his explanation of why he can't post. (well the bulk of it)

It's a bug in the code of the forum. Every time someone tries to post, it does a comparison between current time and time of last post and it's less than 30 seconds (yes, that includes negative time) it won't let you. My latest post is currently timed at about 9:23 pm... today.

Timolas
11-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Does this mean SoL's lore section was slain before it rose? Does that mean Kenzuki and Scythe are gonna lose their power? :buck:

Anyway, I guess Gul'dan really didn't see Sargeras after all.
'There have been no reported sightings of Sargeras since the death of the wizard Medivh, who was possessed by Sargeras' spirit at the time.'
Think they should have mentioned Gul'dan specifically though and should have said he didn't really see Sargeras.

Creative
11-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Anyway, I guess Gul'dan really didn't see Sargeras after all.
'There have been no reported sightings of Sargeras since the death of the wizard Medivh, who was possessed by Sargeras' spirit at the time.'
Think they should have mentioned Gul'dan specifically though and should have said he didn't really see Sargeras.

Remember the Gul'dan died in the Tomb, hence, he couldnt report if it was Sargeras or not :p

Timolas
11-05-2006, 01:59 AM
Remember the Gul'dan died in the Tomb, hence, he couldnt report if it was Sargeras or not :p
Well if you want to go technical, but the message is pretty clear, or so I think.

Kerrah
11-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Maiev may have told about it to other night elves, who went to Kalimdor with Malfurion later on.

Flamestrider
11-05-2006, 07:46 PM
There's a Farstrider Lodge in Loch Modan. I've never played a dwarf, so I'm not sure if there's a connection, but it's possible.

Kenzuki
11-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Gul'dan was half dead and delerious at the time he saw "Sargeras", which for all we know could have just been some residual effect of the demon lord's body in the tomb.

Kerrah
11-06-2006, 03:56 AM
Gul'dan was half dead and delerious at the time he saw "Sargeras", which for all we know could have just been some residual effect of the demon lord's body in the tomb.
For being "half dead and delerious" he made it quite far after that.

Creative
11-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Gul'dan didnt get the bleeding until AFTER he saw "Sargeras", so I would say he noticed it wasnt Sargie, and got a wound from the demon, and then, he either killed it and moved deeper into the tomb, or he fled.

Whatever he did, the wound later killed him...

But that is my theory.

Timolas
11-06-2006, 08:09 AM
It wasn't so much the wound that killed him than the rampage of screaming bloodthirsty demons that chewed him into pieces shortly after the final cutscene.

DreamingGod
11-06-2006, 09:38 AM
It wasn't so much the wound that killed him than the rampage of screaming bloodthirsty demons that chewed him into pieces shortly after the final cutscene.
Thats sure to kill you....

Kenzuki
11-06-2006, 11:39 AM
The thing is Sargeras could not have been there, because this was AFTER Medivh was killed and Sargeras' spirit was banished to the "Abyss". Considering that Kil'jaeden is the leader of the Legion it's resonable to assume that he hasn't heard anything from him as well.

Tularis
11-07-2006, 05:22 AM
I've been curious as to what this Abyss place is; anyone know what it is and why when sargares got banished he got sent there? I am still convinced he is going to makeit back eventually to :P if anyone can, its Sargares.

As for the WoW Encylopedia, very cool idea, I like it. Hopefully future segments answer a few unanswered questions that are floating about.

Timolas
11-07-2006, 08:02 AM
I hope they add Eredun to the language section next. I thirst for demonic tongue knowledge. Also hoping they write up on Mephistroth... really hope they haven't forgotten him.

Kenzuki
11-07-2006, 01:27 PM
I hope they add Eredun to the language section next. I thirst for demonic tongue knowledge. Also hoping they write up on Mephistroth... really hope they haven't forgotten him.

I want a thing on the ancient human language.

Timolas
11-07-2006, 01:30 PM
I just hope they fill it up with just about everything in the end - and make it a real 'encyclopedia' of Warcraft. :D

Kerrah
11-08-2006, 07:53 AM
I just hope they fill it up with just about everything in the end - and make it a real 'encyclopedia' of Warcraft. :D
Yeah, "A collection of background information for The Burning Crusade" is more accurate ATM.

Tularis
11-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Well thats not neccessarily a bad thing. So many players are ignorant of the history of the Warcraft world; trying to change peoples mentality and get them involved in something other then epics is always a good thing.

Kerrah
11-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Well thats not neccessarily a bad thing. So many players are ignorant of the history of the Warcraft world; trying to change peoples mentality and get them involved in something other then epics is always a good thing.
Yeah, but my point is that there's plenty of room to expand.

Kaziel
11-08-2006, 09:59 AM
It's a work in progress at the moment. Don't jump to conclusions about it when they just released it. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather they release it little by little, instead of in one huge release. This way I can go through what's just added whenever they update it, without being overwhelmed.

Now, if in 6 months they haven't added a single thing to it, then it's time to be annoyed, but the amount of information that will be in this when it's done will be immense, and I doubt they want to devote the manpower to get it all done in a short time. They have other things that need to get done first. They've probably assigned 2 people at most to filling this out, and they need to cross reference the information with Chris Metzen first, probably.

Smeedle
11-03-2007, 03:29 AM
Now, if in 6 months they haven't added a single thing to it, then it's time to be annoyed
So, it's been 12 months. Can we be annoyed now?

Kerrah
11-04-2007, 05:00 AM

Yuuuuup.

Mark_Romaneck
11-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Anger !

Darkwind
11-04-2007, 11:51 AM

Oh, it'll be updated.

Right before WotLK comes out.

ARM3481
11-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Sadly, the Encyclopedia on their page seems to have basically been a means of educating the players on new lore that Blizz coudn't fit into previous games, because it's all based on events we haven't actually witnessed, rather than directly following the main storyline of WCIII and TFT. Since they've essentially abandoned the practice of including big, fat game manuals full of storyline with the games themselves, Blizz just came up with a new outlet for filling in the gaps. They know that a majority of those who couldn't care less about the lore will just chuck any instruction manuals they include into the nearest dusty old desk-drawer without reading, so it became more cost-effective and less futile to just post it online instead.

Every Blizz interview these days seems rife with Metzen and others repeatedly saying "we were gonna do this, but..." without explaining why rather than the usual "departure" from the original plans (like gradually whittling down the playable WCIII races or changing the resource mechanic for the Scourge for prcaticality and balance reasons), they instead seem to have just burned the old ideas in their entirety and moved on to completely divergent paths. It's borderline of had they decided halfway through WCII that "Hey, this'll be a Diablo title instead! Scrap everything, we're starting over!" So everything that got built up for TBC, like the Blood Elves and Draenei, the war with the Legion, and the possibility of traveling to do battle on other worlds, is being wrapped up or outright dismissed at breakneck speed so they can forget about it and move onto WotLK, an expansion in which the Blood Elves and Draenei will just be two more races with no more stake or personal involvement in the overall plot than the humans and orcs (hell, it makes even less sense for the Draenei. The Draenei still have armies of kinsmen stuck fighting in Outland, and now they're gonna redirect their heroes and soldiers to some backwater continent in Azeroth? Honestly, unless Blizz bothers to toss some Scourge soldiers onto the Exodar's doorstep, why should the Draenei care in the slightest what Arthas is doing up in Northrend?). They're severing all ties with TBC, because honestly, at this point neither the Legion nor Illidan are relevant to whatever future events take place in Northrend. We're being scaled down from battling the greatest enemy in creation with entire planets full of demonic foot soldiers to mopping up the messes made by a one-world, one-continent supervillain who seems as confused as anyone about why he's been sitting on his hands and doing nothing for the past several years.

Lon-ami
11-06-2007, 02:21 AM
They updated for WotA...

I don't think they'e going to update more... If they're going to they don't look like...

Nephalim
11-06-2007, 06:53 AM
They updated for WotA...War of the Ancients was around long before the encyclopedia. Everything that's currently on the encyclopedia was there in its initial release.

Warlock
11-06-2007, 08:25 AM
I haven't looked yet to see if they put it there (I assume they did), but wasn't the Troll Lore done afterwards? Or am I remembering wrong?

Edit: haha, nevermind.. it's not in there...

Rowan Seven
11-06-2007, 08:40 AM
I haven't looked yet to see if they put it there (I assume they did), but wasn't the Troll Lore done afterwards? Or am I remembering wrong?

Edit: haha, nevermind.. it's not in there...

The troll section was earlier and followed by the murloc page...I think. Anyway, I'm inclined to agree that if the Warcraft Encyclopedia is going to be updated again it'll probably be for "Wrath of the Lich King" which is a bit of a shame because I was initially excited by the Warcraft Encyclopedia and its potential to serve as database for the franchise. Still, a background reference for expansions is better than nothing.

Nephalim
11-06-2007, 08:56 AM
While it's nice for us, I think the Blizzard lore department might have seen it as potentially peeing in their drinking water. It's one thing to have their other resources - stories and books and quests etc can be excused as just popular media and when they go against them, it's no big deal. However the encyclopedia was to serve as purely an information database. You wouldn't go there for a good read; the only purpose behind it is to extrapolate and detail the world, not to entertain. If you violate that information, then, it renders the encyclopedia useless in every capacity. I think the story team's kind of forgotten the "continuity is our golden calf" thing and would see the encyclopedia as a road block to any of the retcons they might want to make later.

And yes, I do think that's how they're thinking now.

And as I've said before, I suspect the encyclopedia (and the Troll Compendium, Road to Damnation, etc) isn't the brainchild of the story team but rather the web team, who have demonstrated, in my opinion, a fairly short attention span.

Cantus
11-06-2007, 09:18 AM
If not for the fact that I doubt it would work (plus it'd kind of kill everything you guys have worked towards here) I'd suggest a e-mail petition to let loremasters update the encyclopedia and just have the webteam/dev team review it for problems.

Hell, i'd do it for free, I just wish I had the time/energy/money (to spend on those novels) to do it.

Warlock
11-06-2007, 09:42 AM
And as I've said before, I suspect the encyclopedia (and the Troll Compendium, Road to Damnation, etc) isn't the brainchild of the story team but rather the web team, who have demonstrated, in my opinion, a fairly short attention span.

Yup, pretty much.

Kenzuki
11-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Didn't GFraizer get pissed at the community on his blog cause they just said they'd use WoWWiki instead?

Warlock
11-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Didn't GFraizer get pissed at the community on his blog cause they just said they'd use WoWWiki instead?

http://www.expectnothing.com/index.php?page=story&post=11943

Kerrah
11-06-2007, 12:00 PM
They are getting new information/content they did not have before

Not.

Vicious
11-07-2007, 06:10 AM
Sensible guy, isn´t he?

I remember when he started talking shit about Europeans when Warcraft 3 was at its prime.

Kerrah
11-07-2007, 06:50 AM
I remember when he started talking shit about Europeans when Warcraft 3 was at its prime.

Why?

Kenzuki
11-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Maybe cause Europeans tend to talk shit about America?

Kerrah
11-07-2007, 09:28 AM
What does that have to do with Warcraft?

Kenzuki
11-07-2007, 10:38 AM
I have no idea.

Vicious
11-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Why?

Don´t remember exactly but i do know that he had some kind of beef against Warcraft 3 european gamers.

Personally, they were just as bad as the american player base.