PDA

View Full Version : Burning Crusade Intro - High Res

Warlock
12-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Now that the VGA Awards have aired (and wow were they lousy - who still laughs at "All your base" jokes?), the <A HREF="http://www.spiketv.com/events/vga2006/simulcast.html">high res version of the Burning Crusade Intro Cinematic</a> is now available at their website. Many thanks to Nubboi for spotting it.

The high res version certainly beats the pants off the "bootleg" one, and I even noticed Blizzard added a little humor by filling one scene with Murlocs (complete with *gurrrrgle* sounds) only to be incinerated by an Undead Warlock. Definately be sure to check it out.

<b>Update:</b> It's now available on <A HREF="http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/downloads/movies.html">Blizzard's site</a> as well.

Warlock
12-13-2006, 10:55 PM
So yeah:

Celebrities who don't know shit about VGs
+ tons of product placement (oo boy, let's hear about Samuel's new animated series! That has a *lot* to do with VGs)
+ horrible stereotypes about gamers, games, and VG culture in general
+ horrible bands
+ ancient "jokes" that are not funny (i.e. all your base)
= the VGA awards.

I wonder if *any* actual gamer anywhere actually enjoyed watching that. And of course, they saved the WoW trailer for last, which I *knew* they'd do (so I wasn't disappointed, just affirmed in my knowledge that they VGA awards would pull shit like that for viewers - as I'm sure if it was aired first everyone would tune out right after that)

P.S. - Way to go Tony Hawk for your lame All Your Base joke *after* they had already made (I think) two earlier. His was the absolute worst, and it was hilarious to see someone actually butcher "bad english". I didn't think it was possible, but you did it Tony Hawk! Congratulations!

Nubboi
12-13-2006, 11:10 PM
I had the feeling they were saving the cinematic for the ending. And I watched all 2 hours of it. Terrible show!

But the cinematic was awesome :)

ARM3481
12-13-2006, 11:17 PM
The cinematic was as sweet as I expected, though they went a bit heavy on the panning shots of the orchestra and conductor. Yeah, yeah, so they've got a live source for the music. Grand for everyone who's in the same room at the time, but on a television it just ate up camera time that could have been better spent if folks at home could just watch the video in ordinary widescreen.

Few awards ceremonies live up to the old days of the MTV Video Music Awards, back when they still remembered what the "M" in their network's name stood for, but the VGA's are about as much of a travesty as one can imagine such a thing being. I felt for a long time that movie awards were alienating to the people who actually paid to see the movies, since they'd always give the relevant awards to artsy stuff that, while perhaps deserving of recognition, usually sold a microscopic fraction of the ticket numbers of that years blockbusters. Then they'd rush through many of the awards won by movies that everyone actually went to see. Lately they've started to improve somewhat (largely due to drops in ratings), but it's still painful to watch at times.

Nonetheless it never stooped to the level of outright contempt that is clearly present in the VGA's toward the show's target audience. I never saw any actors at the Oscar podium say "yeah, and you braindead cattle were stupid enough to pay to see this! So thanks! HA!". Yet that's effectively what the VGA's repeatedly throw into the teeth of those who actually play videogames. It's moderately tolerable to watch successful comedic actors at the Oscars prove time and again that they can be horribly unfunny by using material written by the Academy's scribes, but what use is sitting there being insulted by people who've either never played videogames, or only play the ones that become parts of pop culture?

Ah well, done venting. The video was still sweet though. :D

Yuber8900
12-13-2006, 11:24 PM
I didn't even watch the VGA and I knew it would be terrible.

Ghaztha
12-14-2006, 03:41 AM
That BC cinematic... is just..amazing.. *gasping for breath* ... Whoa.. *goes to watch it again*

Vicious
12-14-2006, 04:00 AM
It´s definitly not the same guy that did Illidan´s voice.

Aldrius
12-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Yeah. It sounds like someone doing an imitation.

And it sounds ALOT like Chris Metzen at the very last "You are not Prepared!" so I'm guessing that's who it is.

Sp00ky
12-14-2006, 08:36 AM
What a beautifull sheelf...magnificent!

Krucifire
12-14-2006, 02:40 PM
it was horrible after the first commercial it said they would show the TBC cinematic.... but no... 2 hours later....

Kerrah
12-14-2006, 03:24 PM
WTF? He throws off the Skull of Gul'Dan?

Ghaztha
12-14-2006, 03:44 PM
who said its the skull of Gul'dan am sure there are plenty orc skulls about outland.. but i do however think its meant to remind you of Gul'dan though

Kerrah
12-14-2006, 03:59 PM
He is staring at it when we see him the first time. I quess that means it has some importance to him. The Only skull that has had any importance to him was the Skull of Gul'Dan.

Warlock
12-14-2006, 04:06 PM
... but he consumed it.. The skull doesn't exist anymore in the physical sense...

Timolas
12-14-2006, 04:08 PM
... but he consumed it.. The skull doesn't exist anymore in the physical sense...
I smell a retconn!

Personally I think it is probably going to be loot of some sort. You know, like Onyxia's head or something you get the BoP Skull that begins a turn in quest. Or it can be a trinket... or something. Beats me.

Warlock
12-14-2006, 04:10 PM
No, he's standing on a huge battlefield.. there are gonna be skulls lying around. Believe me, it's not the Skull of Gul'dan.

Kerrah
12-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Someone link me the Item Maker, fast!

edit: Too late, here lies the future of one of the most interesting items in Warcraft:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i212/Kerrah_photos/SoGD.jpg

Creative
12-15-2006, 09:56 AM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i212/Kerrah_photos/SoGD.jpg

...Atleast you bother crossing over the "Faintly Glowing Skull" text. XP