PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Portal Opens - The Legion Attacks Azeroth

Warlock
01-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Along with a brand new patch today (2.0.3) which finishes up some Burning Crusade updates, Blizzard has surprised us with a cool world event to go along with the Dark Portal opening:
<ul><font size=1>Azeroth is under attack! Horrific creatures are swarming from a suddenly active Dark Portal and have rampaged into the Blasted Lands. Defenders from Nethergarde Keep have scrambled to meet the enemy head-on. However, even with the assistance of reinforcements from the ever-vigilant Argent Dawn, the forces of Azeroth need your help!

Not much is known of the invasion at this early stage, but early reports from the battlefront describe wave after wave of demonic attackers charging from the Dark Portal. It is also reported that Lord Kazzak was seen departing through the Dark Portal. In his stead he has left his minion, Highlord Kruul, to sow fear and confusion among the defenders.

Accompanied by a host of infernals, Kruul has been seen near a number of major cities in Azeroth, along with the following outdoor areas:

<ul><font size=1><li><font size=1>Hinterlands</font></li>
<li><font size=1>Eastern Plaguelands </font></li>
<li><font size=1>Winterspring </font></li>
<li><font size=1>Stranglethorn Vale </font></li>
<li><font size=1>Azshara </font></li>
<li><font size=1>Silithus </font></li>
<li><font size=1>Searing Gorge</font></li></font></ul>
Not even the elite forces of the Argent Dawn have dared attack Kruul directly. Only a large and well-coordinated group of adventurers might stand a chance of defeating him. </font></ul>Sounds interesting!

icy
01-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Sounds interesting!

Sounds interesting indeed, can't wait till bc release

Kenzuki
01-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Along with a brand new patch today (2.0.3) which finishes up some Burning Crusade updates, Blizzard has surprised us with a cool world event to go along with the Dark Portal opening:
<ul><font size=1>Azeroth is under attack! Horrific creatures are swarming from a suddenly active Dark Portal and have rampaged into the Blasted Lands. Defenders from Nethergarde Keep have scrambled to meet the enemy head-on. However, even with the assistance of reinforcements from the ever-vigilant Argent Dawn, the forces of Azeroth need your help!

Not much is known of the invasion at this early stage, but early reports from the battlefront describe wave after wave of demonic attackers charging from the Dark Portal. It is also reported that Lord Kazzak was seen departing through the Dark Portal. In his stead he has left his minion, Highlord Kruul, to sow fear and confusion among the defenders.

Accompanied by a host of infernals, Kruul has been seen near a number of major cities in Azeroth, along with the following outdoor areas:

<ul><font size=1><li><font size=1>Hinterlands</font></li>
<li><font size=1>Eastern Plaguelands </font></li>
<li><font size=1>Winterspring </font></li>
<li><font size=1>Stranglethorn Vale </font></li>
<li><font size=1>Azshara </font></li>
<li><font size=1>Silithus </font></li>
<li><font size=1>Searing Gorge</font></li></font></ul>
Not even the elite forces of the Argent Dawn have dared attack Kruul directly. Only a large and well-coordinated group of adventurers might stand a chance of defeating him. </font></ul>Sounds interesting!

Why is the Legion attacking unpopulated wildlands?

Highlord Kruul: Kill the humans!

Felguard: Uh sir, there are no humans here....

Highlord Kruul: Kill the boars, spiders, bears, and insect creatures!

Scourge: Noobs, we've already done that.

Highlord Kruul: ...........

Drirlake
01-09-2007, 12:32 PM

Maybe they just want to corrupt some trees :D ?

Yuber8900
01-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Go forth Legions crush all my foes!

Warlock
01-09-2007, 02:54 PM

Short answer: Because they *are* unpopulated and Blizzard is trying to drive traffic to them ;p Also, they are a mix of mid and high level zones, which balances out well.

Long answer: Really, story wise it's retarded. They should be attacking Nethergarde besides that - that's both collateral and reasonable (i.e. it's close to the portal and it's a threat).

Aside from the major cities (which aren't listed but mentioned - so I think they are attacking there), I can sort of see Azshara and Silithus as having "resources the Legion could use". Hinterlands I suppose you could argue they went for Seradane or something, who knows. Winterspring also, there are already a buttload of demons there and it's close to Mt. Hyjal. So I see that too.

EPL is just f'in retarded though. Why on earth stage an attack in the area where the Lich King's minions reside (who hate you too)? Maybe if they wanted to weaken the Scourge in that area, but it seems stupid to me. Searing Gorge is pointless - there's nothing to be had there, and frankly even BRM has nothing really of interest (what is the Legion going to do with Ragnaros for example? Or Nefarian? They certainly aren't going to "team up"). Stranglethorn Vale is also a bit stupid, though now that I think of it, didn't that Hillsbrad quest - the one that talks about the Legion trying to destroy Stromgarde - mention the Argus Wake setup in STV? If that was true (despite there being no freaking demons there - I swear that quest line is unfinished), I sort of understand it.

But yeah, overall not the best choices. Arathi seems like it could have been a good choice over STV - esp with all the Stromgarde "taking them down from the inside" lore stuff going on there. Felwood would have been good just because it's so tainted already (not to mention no one goes there - drive ppl there Blizzard!). Deadwind Pass would have also worked (and it'd be cool to have a reason to go there pre-Karazhan).

Yuber8900
01-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Jeez, the amount of farming on the portal is absurd, and there's no reason to even do it other then the quest.

Aldrius
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
...they're attacking the Easter Plaguelands...?

The hell?

I hope in that zone we atleast see some Scourge fighting them. THAT'D be cool.

Flamestrider
01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Because they *are* unpopulated and Blizzard is trying to drive traffic to them ;p Also, they are a mix of mid and high level zones, which balances out well.

Stranglethorn Vale is unpopulated? News to me.

Yuber8900
01-10-2007, 07:34 AM
EPL is just f'in retarded though. Why on earth stage an attack in the area where the Lich King's minions reside (who hate you too)? Maybe if they wanted to weaken the Scourge in that area, but it seems stupid to me.

What faction is currently guarding the Dark Portal and has their main base in EPL?

The answer?

Argent Dawn!

Sp00ky
01-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Oh no...yet another silly wanna be invasion event, the legion is even attacking the same spots as the scourge did, only this time it will be fellguards or somthing that spawn outside the capital cities.

If they whanted to make it cool then it soulden't be an invasion, just a frontal assult by Kazzaks elite guard on Netherguard keep. Even better, if they had made a patch changing the blasted lands and making neatherguard a neutral Dalaran faction base, thus making it possible for horde and Alliance alike to take part in it.

Tularis
01-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah but why would it suddenly be neutral? Theramore I can understand being made that way, but correct me if I am wrong but Dalaran never seemed to show any support or sympathy for the Horde.

What should be done is that the Horde should have at least some sort of minor outpost in the Blasted Lands, even if its one thats similiar to Burning Steppes composed of only a batrider and a couple of quest points; that would help at least get rid of some of the problems associated with traveling (not that it is that far but eh, people like to complain!)

Kenzuki
01-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Highlord Kruul destroyed the entire population of the Warsong server's Ironforge, including King Magni and the high Tinker lol. People were like "Ah the king will kill him" 5 secs later he was dead :P Kruul is Kazzak 2.0 so every time he kills something......

I want to see him fight Saurfang!

Solitus
01-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Saurfang was raped on one server. He literally didn't stand a chance, and everyone kept saying the screens were photoshopped.

icy
01-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Maybe they just want to corrupt some trees :D ?

or try to kill some critters

FreeLancer
01-10-2007, 11:41 AM
What should be done is that the Horde should have at least some sort of minor outpost in the Blasted Lands, even if its one thats similiar to Burning Steppes composed of only a batrider and a couple of quest points; that would help at least get rid of some of the problems associated with traveling (not that it is that far but eh, people like to complain!)

That is the purpose of Stonard in the Swamps of Sorrow.

icy
01-11-2007, 02:48 AM
Saurfang was raped on one server. He literally didn't stand a chance, and everyone kept saying the screens were photoshopped.

lol show the screenshot plz,
would love to see saurfang lying dead on the ground

(he deserves it)

Kerrah
01-11-2007, 05:02 AM
lol show the screenshot plz,
would love to see saurfang lying dead on the ground

(he deserves it)
No he doesn't! He is the proof that Horde > Alliance!

Sp00ky
01-11-2007, 05:32 AM
heh you better change the direction of that ">" course ad it stands now I agree with you ;)