PDA

View Full Version : New Black Temple Preview Page and Trailer

Warlock
05-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Blizzard has added a new <A HREF="http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/2p1/">Black Temple Preview Page</a> to their site. On here is some basic information about the dungeon, as well as an absolutely awesome trailer (in the vein of the Naxxramas one but much larger) which covers the history of the temple and Akama. You'll definately want to check that one out, if only for the absolutely awesome guest-appearance by Ner'zhul in it :D

Warlock
05-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Stupid work, I don't have my sound turned on here, so I can't hear audio on the trailer. But the visuals were awesome.

And w00t for Ner'zhul finally being depicted with WoW models (skull mask and everything)

Vicious
05-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Whoa. Epic Wallpaper is epic.

So is the trailer, the voice acting was great too, ironic that the parts that Illidan and Kael spoke were lines extracted from Froxen Throne but this was really sweet to see, Akama sounds great.

Rebirth
05-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Whoa. Epic Wallpaper is epic.

So is the trailer, the voice acting was great too, ironic that the parts that Illidan and Kael spoke were lines extracted from Froxen Throne but this was really sweet to see, Akama sounds great.

Yea, he does. This was awesome. A bit of my faith has been restored in Blizzard. The whole thing was great! 5/5

Wulfang
05-15-2007, 04:41 PM
If they keep doing things like this, I'll forgive them for killing my favorite character in a few months :D

That movie was the most amazing thing they've ever done with WoW graphics. Seeing the original Karabor, the orcs' attack, Akama transforming into a broken, Gul'dan, Ner'zhul and Illidan, Kael, Vashj and Akama as a team storming the Black Temple all in a single movie has restored some of my faith in Blizzard.

If they can come up with things like this, that only true lore fans will know how to appreciate and understand, while still being focused on appeasing epic-hungry raiders, they surely can find a way to put Warcraft back on its tracks and stop WoW from destroying my favorite fantasy universe.

ScytheRexx
05-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Akama is now one of my favorite characters, so much cooler then Velen.

I loved the video, it was a lot longer then I expected and how the depicted the events fit so well in my mind.

Bravo!

Timolas
05-15-2007, 05:27 PM
It was incredible, at least a bit of faith in Blizzard is partially restored for me. :P

ScytheRexx
05-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I just learned that they hired a WoW player to do the video, and that he started doing the videos since the Eastern Plaguelands PVP Trailer. I find that pretty neat.

Aldrius
05-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Hmm... I can't decide if the guy doing Akama in this is the same actor.

Wait a second, isn't Gul'dan's 'bear witness to the undeniable power of our new masters' from RotH?

EDIT: Know what else I just noticed? I think Ner'zhul is holding the Scepter of Sargeras. Damn that's cool... and they gave him his own model... my god. This thing kicks both of the 'real' cinematic's ASS. It's WAY better than the Naxxramas trailer too.

I want them to do more of these. So badly.

FreeLancer
05-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Wait a second, isn't Gul'dan's 'bear witness to the undeniable power of our new masters' from RotH?

I believe that is from the corrupting of the Elements Questline in Shadowmoon Valley. Where you work to reverse the work that Gul'dan did in severing the elements. The lines that the orcs are saying in response to him are taken directly from the "ghostly" apparations say as the event is relived.

Aldrius
05-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I think it's from RotH too, though. I'll check.

Creative
05-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Awesome! I really like Akama now, and the orcs was awesome too!

Warlock
05-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Hmm... I can't decide if the guy doing Akama in this is the same actor.

EDIT: Know what else I just noticed? I think Ner'zhul is holding the Scepter of Sargeras. Damn that's cool... and they gave him his own model... my god. This thing kicks both of the 'real' cinematic's ASS. It's WAY better than the Naxxramas trailer too.

I want them to do more of these. So badly.

I stupidly forgot to watch this with sound when I got home last night (GRRRRR) but I don't think it's the Scepter of Sargeras (unless the video specifies that it is.. or that it *must be* given the event depicted). The fact that it glows white seems odd for a demonic staff. Really I just assumed it was his staff, given he is a Shaman and it does look like the staff a Shaman might use (white = lightningish).

Mador
05-16-2007, 08:40 AM
At that point, Ner'zhul is trying to defy the Burning Legion and escape by go to other worlds, his excuse to the Orcs is for conquest. He then gets caught by Kil'jaeden and becomes the Lich King.

To open those portals he needed the Skull of Gul'dan, the Book of Medivh, the Jeweled Scepter of Sargeras, and the Eye of Dalaran. So it would make sense that that is, in fact, the Scepter of Sargeras.

Warlock
05-16-2007, 10:07 AM
At that point, Ner'zhul is trying to defy the Burning Legion and escape by go to other worlds, his excuse to the Orcs is for conquest. He then gets caught by Kil'jaeden and becomes the Lich King.

To open those portals he needed the Skull of Gul'dan, the Book of Medivh, the Jeweled Scepter of Sargeras, and the Eye of Dalaran. So it would make sense that that is, in fact, the Scepter of Sargeras.

See, that's what I figured, which is why I threw in the disclaimer. I need to watch this damn thing with audio :P

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it *wasn't* the Staff of Sargeras, even though it *should* be, just because Blizzard forget and is stupid :P I still can't imagine the Staff of Sargeras would glow white.. white seems like a "holy" color, or at the very least, an elemental color (i.e. lightning as I said before), which does sort of make sense with him as a Shaman. I dunno...

Nephalim
05-16-2007, 10:25 AM
White's largely equated with death in a number of Eastern traditions.

If they're getting a fan to make the movies, one who had the sense to steal clips from Frozen Throne and have Ner'zhul at all - not to mention with either a unique model or a custom-designed headpiece - the implication probably was that this IS the sceptre.

Kerrah
05-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Was that Grom who killed the woman with an axe?

Vicious
05-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Was that Grom who killed the woman with an axe?

Nah, it was pretty generic orc and it had a normal axe not Gorehowl.

Aldrius
05-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it *wasn't* the Staff of Sargeras, even though it *should* be, just because Blizzard forget and is stupid I still can't imagine the Staff of Sargeras would glow white.. white seems like a "holy" color, or at the very least, an elemental color (i.e. lightning as I said before), which does sort of make sense with him as a Shaman. I dunno...

You know what? It's never going to be confirmed or denied as the Scepter of Sargeras (unless they start doing commentaries on trailers... that would be weird)... so I'm just going to say it is.

Kenzuki
05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Well it could have been a Titan made staff too. Also apparantly something went wrong with Ner'zhul's spell as it began to tear the world apart. I chalk that up to him being a simple minded shaman trying to wield the arcane. Also he didn't have the Book of Medivh when he did it remember, he just used what he had learned to do it.

Aldrius
05-16-2007, 02:46 PM
He didn't have the Eye of Dalaran (speculation here) or the Skull of Gul'dan. The eye of Dalaran missing is what makes the most sense. He had memorized (or written down...) the spell from the book of medivh, and he had the scepter, and the Eye was supposed to contain the energies of the nether right?

And he was hardly a 'simple minded' Shaman anymore. He was when Kil'jaeden had first appeared to him, (and even then he was smart, just naive) but not at that point. At that point he was just insane. Willing to do anything to get off that world and into safety, even destroy it.

Kenzuki
05-16-2007, 02:53 PM
He didn't have the Eye of Dalaran (speculation here) or the Skull of Gul'dan. The eye of Dalaran missing is what makes the most sense. He had memorized (or written down...) the spell from the book of medivh, and he had the scepter, and the Eye was supposed to contain the energies of the nether right?

And he was hardly a 'simple minded' Shaman anymore. He was when Kil'jaeden had first appeared to him, (and even then he was smart, just naive) but not at that point. At that point he was just insane. Willing to do anything to get off that world and into safety, even destroy it.

A divine spellcaster with next to NO training in the arcane arts trying to use a spell of that magnitude doesn't sound a little bit crazy or stupid to you?

Aldrius
05-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Not when said spell-caster has probably learned a thing or two about arcane in his years in Draenor and from his mind-link with Gul'dan. But um... yeah, even using the spell in the first place was a pretty crazy idea.

Kenzuki
05-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Not when said spell-caster has probably learned a thing or two about arcane in his years in Draenor and from his mind-link with Gul'dan. But um... yeah, even using the spell in the first place was a pretty crazy idea.

Knowing about something, and being TRAINED in something are two entirely different things. I KNOW a mage can fling a fireball at me, what I don't know is HOW he did it.

Aldrius
05-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Well he had the book of Medivh for a while. He probably read a thing or two about how to do the spell...

Kenzuki
05-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Well he had the book of Medivh for a while. He probably read a thing or two about how to do the spell...

He still was a shaman, he had no formal training in the arts arcane. Which is probably why it failed on him as it did. I'm not saying he was stupid or that he wasn't powerful, I'm saying that he was a divine spellcaster not an arcane one. It's like a warrior trying to tame a beast or call thunder.

Kerrah
05-16-2007, 05:53 PM
If he had had all the artefacts, he could have succeeded.

Alas, he did not.

Aldrius
05-16-2007, 06:03 PM
He still was a shaman, he had no formal training in the arts arcane. Which is probably why it failed on him as it did. I'm not saying he was stupid or that he wasn't powerful, I'm saying that he was a divine spellcaster not an arcane one. It's like a warrior trying to tame a beast or call thunder.

Gul'dan was a Shaman too.

Kerrah
05-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Gul'dan was a Shaman too.

Gul'Dan was thought the warlock magics by Kil'Jaeden, while Ner'Zhul never recieved any teaching whatsoever about the use of The Arcane.

Aldrius
05-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Could have been self-taught. :p

Kenzuki
05-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Could have been self-taught. :p

Give it up Aldrius, sheesh.

Aldrius
05-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Why? When I can piece together half-bit pieces of evidence to make a somewhat convincing argument!!

FreeLancer
05-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Ner'zhul did something right, because he did create working portals, even if they did tear apart Draenor and he was captured by Kil'jaedin.

And he was no simple shaman when Kil'jaedin contacted him. He was one of the most powerful shaman on Draenor.

Kerrah
05-17-2007, 03:34 AM
Ner'zhul did something right, because he did create working portals, even if they did tear apart Draenor and he was captured by Kil'jaedin.

And he was no simple shaman when Kil'jaedin contacted him. He was one of the most powerful shaman on Draenor.

A) He had at least one of the powerful magic items he had to look for in Azeroth, which helped considerably.

B) You can be the best warrior in the world, but it doesn't help you open portals either.

Aldrius
05-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Eh. I still say the spell failed not because Ner'zhul was a shaman. (Make sense of THAT. o_O) But because of the artifacts he was (or wasn't) using.

Kenzuki
05-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Eh. I still say the spell failed not because Ner'zhul was a shaman. (Make sense of THAT. o_O) But because of the artifacts he was (or wasn't) using.

So in effect you're saying that Malfurion can spill his blood on the ground and start chanting and then a demon will appear and automatically serve him right?

I'm not descrediting Ner'zhul, all I'm saying is that he wasn't a master of the arcane which no doubt helped destroy the world. Remember he only wanted one portal to open I think, I may be wrong on that one though.

Aldrius
05-17-2007, 02:40 PM
So in effect you're saying that Malfurion can spill his blood on the ground and start chanting and then a demon will appear and automatically serve him right?

He'd never do it, but if he researched it for a decade I think it'd be conceivable that he could do it. Ner'zhul was planning to make portals for quite a while.

I'm just saying I don't feel it's Blizzard's intent to say that he failed just because he was a Shaman.

He had gone insane. I don't think he knew what he wanted at that point. He just wanted to escape before Kil'jaeden came down to claim his head.

Kenzuki
05-17-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't think he went insane, he seemed pretty in control of his senses when he left the other clans stranded. His own Captain asked him if they were going to wait on the others.

Aldrius
05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
You can be crazy and still seem sane.

And that bit you're referring to is from the non-official ending. =P

Kenzuki
05-17-2007, 06:10 PM
You can be crazy and still seem sane.

And that bit you're referring to is from the non-official ending. =P

Until it's retconned, it's official.

Aldrius
05-17-2007, 06:46 PM
How about the fact that Ner'zhul didn't enter the portal on Azeroth? >_>;

Kenzuki
05-17-2007, 06:53 PM
How about the fact that Ner'zhul didn't enter the portal on Azeroth? >_>;

What do you mean?

Aldrius
05-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Wait... what are you talking about? I thought you were talking about the orc ending in Beyond the Dark Portal which didn't happen.

Nephalim
05-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Didn't it? Ner'zhul entered the portal, the Warsong was left in Azeroth. That's part of the Warcraft III continuity as well.

Aldrius
05-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah, but Ner'zhul's Shadowmoon Clan didn't enter the portal through Azeroth after crushing the Alliance's armies based around the portal. =S

Besides that, the interpretation of Ner'zhul's character has been pretty different since Beyond the Dark Portal.

Kenzuki
05-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah, but Ner'zhul's Shadowmoon Clan didn't enter the portal through Azeroth after crushing the Alliance's armies based around the portal. =S

Besides that, the interpretation of Ner'zhul's character has been pretty different since Beyond the Dark Portal.

What are you talking about? They never went back into Azeroth when the planet was bursting apart.

Aldrius
05-17-2007, 08:33 PM
...what were you talking about?

I'm so confused.

Nephalim
05-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Aldrius, according to the orc's ending of Beyond the Dark Portal, Ner'zhul's not going to Azeroth, he's entering one of the NEW portals he just created and leaving for worlds unknown. This remained in the continuity. But instead of reaching new worlds, he was captured by Kil'jaeden and got his makeover.

Until we learned that Khadgar and folks had remained in Draenor after its destruction, both endings of Beyond the Dark Portal were legitimate. After Ner'zhul succeeds and leaves Draenor, the planet starts to break apart and Khadgar closes the portal to save Azeroth. Both endings work in conjunction.

Is this clearing anything up?

Aldrius
05-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Sure. I was just under the impression that the Orc ending wasn't canon, but if you guys consider it as such then that makes sense.

ARM3481
05-18-2007, 12:43 AM
There was always one particular part of BtDP that seemed a bit silly to me. Why exactly was Ner'zhul so keen on opening a bunch of portals at once, rather than just one? Already the first invasion had failed on just one world. So...how does the next best course of action become opening a multitude of portals and engaging in several invasions that could feasibly lead to wars on many fronts on planets the orcs know nothing about and against foes potentially even stronger than the Azerothian races?

Unless I've forgotten some other motivation behind it, it just seems colossally stupid, since even if escape from Draenor and Kil'Jaeden was one of his reasons all along, then it seems like one portal would have sufficed and wouldn't have required the effort and risk involved in opening as many as he did.

Aldrius
05-18-2007, 12:59 AM
He'd gone nuts with paranoia and fear I'd say.

ScytheRexx
05-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Sure. I was just under the impression that the Orc ending wasn't canon, but if you guys consider it as such then that makes sense.

The orc ending is actually more canon then the human ending. The orc ending had Ner'zhul make the portals, and escape through one of them into parts unknown as the world was being destroyed around him, that was it, and that still happened pretty much 100%.

The human ending had the expedition escaping through one of Ner'zhuls portals into the Twisting Nether, an event that has been completely removed from the continuity, with only the fact that they closed the portal being still in the canon. So if anything, the alliance ending is only 50% correct, while the events of the orc ending are 100% correct.

Lastly, BTDP was the first game where both endings were considered canon, as neither one was mutually exclusive like the games that came before it. If you played Alliance, then Ner'zhul still opened the portals, and if you played Horde, Khadgar still closed the portal to Azeroth. The only unique events is the time leading up to the two endings.

Nephalim
05-18-2007, 10:58 AM
There was always one particular part of BtDP that seemed a bit silly to me. Why exactly was Ner'zhul so keen on opening a bunch of portals at once, rather than just one?Well, in terms of conquest, yes, it would've been a bad plan. However, Ner'zhul may have thought that opening multiple portals would have made it harder for Kil'jaeden to track him down, if he didn't know which one he entered. It was a conclusion that proved ultimately wrong, but it was a logical one to come to.

There was also the fact that he seemed to be bargaining with his lieutenants and using new worlds as means to that end. Teron Gorefiend's the only case that comes immediately to mind, but I imagine he promised chieftains their own personal worlds to secure loyalties.

Vicious
05-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Or maybe he wanted to use several doorways to evacuate faster from Draenor.

GreenEye
05-18-2007, 01:10 PM
About the Ner'zhul being a shaman thing...

Remember, in WC2, the distinctive "classes" weren't as well chiseled out as they are in WoW. The elves who erected the rune stones were labeled as "druids", even though in later lore, druid have no knowledge of the arcane. They might have labeled Ner'zhul as a "shaman" meaning that he was a spiritualistic spell caster oriented towards the element, not excluding arcane magic.

Kerrah
05-18-2007, 01:36 PM
About the Ner'zhul being a shaman thing...

Remember, in WC2, the distinctive "classes" weren't as well chiseled out as they are in WoW. The elves who erected the rune stones were labeled as "druids", even though in later lore, druid have no knowledge of the arcane. They might have labeled Ner'zhul as a "shaman" meaning that he was a spiritualistic spell caster oriented towards the element, not excluding arcane magic.

Yeah. During that era...

Shamans = Evil primitive casters.
Druids = Mystical "elven" casters.

Aldrius
05-18-2007, 01:55 PM
The orc ending is actually more canon then the human ending. The orc ending had Ner'zhul make the portals, and escape through one of them into parts unknown as the world was being destroyed around him, that was it, and that still happened pretty much 100%.

Scythe, you must have completely different versions of the game than me, because I don't remember that at all... =S

Kerrah
05-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Scythe, you must have completely different versions of the game than me, because I don't remember that at all... =S

Maybe you are confused by the fact that the Final Mission happens in Azeroth, while the ending cinematic and the creation of portals happen in Draenor.

Aldrius
05-18-2007, 02:12 PM
They did? I thought it was still Azeroth... eh.

Kenzuki
05-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I love shattering people's thoughts sometimes. On the multiple portals thing, does it ever really say he did it on purpose? What if he only wanted one portal opened and it backfired on him.

Aldrius
05-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Shattering? Hardly. I was just confused because the campaign is completely different from the end result (I don't remember the planet exploding at the end of the orc campaign at all). Nothing you did or said... typed.

ScytheRexx
05-18-2007, 03:35 PM

I don't see how, but here, let me help.

The cinematic shows a footman standing around, wondering whats going on, when a Ogre comes and smashs him across the screen. It then shows Ner'zhul walk up to a portal, overlooking a crimson sky, as he holds up the scepter and gives out a little roar, followed by the cries of his followers behind him.

Here is the text that is played following the cinematic.

"Ner'zhul holds the ancient scepter of Sargeras in the air and intones the final words of the Spell of Conjuration. The air about you begins to swirl and presses down upon the assembled masses of the Horde. Above you, the crimson skies break open and reveal the chaotic pathways of the Twisting Nether. As Ner'zhul deploys his remaining forces towards the new portals, you glimpse the Shattered Hand and Warsong clans awaiting orders on the other side of the Dark Portal. "Master," you ask. "Should we not recall all of our forces from Azeroth?" "No," the ancient Shaman replys coldly. "They have served their purpose. From this point on, all that we gain will be our's alone." Ner'zhul gives a wicked grin as you unquestioningly follow him into the swirling madness of the Twisting Nether."

I will admit they didn't play off the world getting destroyed as much as the alliance campaign, but the same events still happen. Ner'zhul makes the portal, and abandons everyone for himself.

Aldrius
05-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh, okay you're right. I still doubt that's how it actually happened, though. What with all the retcons. =S

ScytheRexx
05-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Oh, okay you're right. I still doubt that's how it actually happened, though. What with all the retcons. =S

Well the only difference I see now, is that the world was OBVIOUSLY ripping apart while Ner'zhul was around, as told in the updated story sections, while the WarCraft 2 cinematic happened before the world was ripping itself apart, as he left as the sky was ripping open.

Its still more then the Alliance ending, that had all of the expedition leave the planet completely, which now was retconed to them never leaving.

Kerrah
05-18-2007, 04:12 PM
I love shattering people's thoughts sometimes. On the multiple portals thing, does it ever really say he did it on purpose? What if he only wanted one portal opened and it backfired on him.

All those giant portal archways didn't appear out of nowhere...

ARM3481
05-18-2007, 04:14 PM

That would make sense, except that each portal is anchored to its own stone archway, often complete with the ritualistic stone statues nearby and everything, suggesting that similar rituals and preparations were being made at each portal while Ner'zhul was enacting the central part of the spells to open them. So far the only portals we've seen that didn't seem to require some form of physical "gateway" around them were the one through which Archimonde came and the one summoned by Illidan(which might not entirely count, since his means of traveling to Outland at the end of the NE campaign might really be more akin to some sort of a "teleportation" than an actual, stable portal, since he was the only one passing through and it slammed shut as soon as he entered. Only the one in Dalaran seems permanent without an actual gate structure built around it.)

Kerrah
05-18-2007, 04:23 PM
That would make sense, except that each portal is anchored to its own stone archway, often complete with the ritualistic stone statues nearby and everything, suggesting that similar rituals and preparations were being made at each portal while Ner'zhul was enacting the central part of the spells to open them. So far the only portals we've seen that didn't seem to require some form of physical "gateway" around them were the one through which Archimonde came and the one summoned by Illidan(which might not entirely count, since his means of traveling to Outland at the end of the NE campaign might really be more akin to some sort of a "teleportation" than an actual, stable portal, since he was the only one passing through and it slammed shut as soon as he entered. Only the one in Dalaran seems permanent without an actual gate structure built around it.)

I beat you to it.

Kenzuki
05-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Unless the Legion under Magtheridon made those archways around the portals to further make them stable.

Vicious
05-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Unless the Legion under Magtheridon made those archways around the portals to further make them stable.

Nah he probably built the archways before starting the spell, even as a shaman he wouldn´t be something that half assed.

Also did you guys notice that in the video Illidan and company are watching a Portal in Hellfire Peninsula where it used to be all the 4 portals but now in the new Outland map there are none.

Yuber8900
05-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Nah he probably built the archways before starting the spell, even as a shaman he wouldn´t be something that half assed.

Also did you guys notice that in the video Illidan and company are watching a Portal in Hellfire Peninsula where it used to be all the 4 portals but now in the new Outland map there are none.

Being half-assed is what got Ner'zhul into his current form.

ScytheRexx
05-18-2007, 09:00 PM

Just wanted to correct one thing here ARM. Maiev and her Watchers all entered the same portal at the end of the NE campaign, Illidan was not the only one to pass through it before it closed.

Kenzuki
05-18-2007, 10:06 PM

So he built all these archways around the freaking world?

ARM3481
05-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Just wanted to correct one thing here ARM. Maiev and her Watchers all entered the same portal at the end of the NE campaign, Illidan was not the only one to pass through it before it closed.

Ah, thanks for refreshing my memory. Indeed, they did pursue him through it.

Though the fact remains that it was a pretty short-lived thing. More like a one-way "rope" connecting both worlds that quickly snapped shortly after being used, rather than a stable bridgeway like the portals are.

ScytheRexx
05-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Ah, thanks for refreshing my memory. Indeed, they did pursue him through it.

Though the fact remains that it was a pretty short-lived thing. More like a one-way "rope" connecting both worlds that quickly snapped shortly after being used, rather than a stable bridgeway like the portals are.

I agree, I believe it takes lots of effort to make a stable gateway for an extended, even permanent, length of time. Illidan's portal was more of a mini-gateway that fizzled after it burned off whatever energy used to form it.

ARM3481
05-19-2007, 01:15 AM
I agree, I believe it takes lots of effort to make a stable gateway for an extended, even permanent, length of time. Illidan's portal was more of a mini-gateway that fizzled after it burned off whatever energy used to form it.

Exactly. Direct effort and preparation. So far we haven't seen anybody who managed to create a permanent, stable portal between worlds without a great deal of physical work being involved before even the first spells were woven. No tossing a convoluted spell off the top of their heads to do it. Though Kel'thuzad seemed to just open it through incantation then and there, that was just because the preparations had been done for him by Medivh: it seems likely that the tome itself was vital to the creation of the portal and required to be present at the time, rather than just somebody who knew the knowledge within its pages. (In other words, somebody couldn't necessarily just memorize the spells it contained and recite them later and hope to open a successful portal. The book itself seems likely to have been an item of power beyond just the information provided by the words scribbled within it.) More than arcane energy and spellwork, portlas seem to require a potent, physical item to serve as a sort of focus to anchor the spell in place and keep it there.

I suppose theoretically some of the most powerful entities in the WC universe might be capable of forcibly establishing a portal, though the fact that even Sargeras couldn't ignore the energy requirements to bring himself through to Azeroth suggests that there might be some form of "displacement" going on between the source of the portal and its terminus before it becomes stable and usable.