PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: StarCraft 2!

Warlock
05-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Blizzard has just announced StarCraft 2! You can find the <A HREF="http://pc.ign.com/articles/788/788627p1.html">minute by minute updates over at IGN</a>. I'm sure they will update their homepage shortly.

Update:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUXoekeDIW8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUXoekeDIW8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

And <A HREF="http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/imgs_1.html">SCREENSHOTS!</a>

Warlock
05-19-2007, 12:20 AM
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/imgs_1.html

Aldrius
05-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Been a long time coming, folks.

A long time.

Warlock
05-19-2007, 01:08 AM
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/img_4560183.html

LOL.. I think there is a doodad of a crashed pod-racer in this screenshot.

Rebirth
05-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Bout damn time too. Also, apparently they are announcing the next Diablo game at BlizzCon and the next WoW expansion, apparently Medieval thinks its what he predicted, but I dont know what he thought it was.

Aldrius
05-19-2007, 01:34 AM
Wow. Rocky terrain alongside Space Platform terrain!

How innovative...?!

Ersinus
05-19-2007, 01:41 AM
page update, it looks great

http://www.starcraft2.com/

Aldrius
05-19-2007, 02:04 AM
2 pictures interested me in the artwork gallery and their relation to the story.

The first is the one that looks like an infested Kerrigan. (I think it's Kerrigan, can't tell if she has wings.) She's um... naked, and sitting on a lava planet (Char, assumably). What's up with that one?

The other is a picture of an older man (who is definitely Mengsk) and a female Ghost. I'm assuming it's Mengsk and his memory of an uninfested Kerrigan. Could be something else, but that's my guess.

They really seem to be drawing on Kerrigan's more tragic roots with these and less on her role as the series' main villain and as the queen bitch of the universe. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

So um... I dunno if this qualifies as spoilers. *Don't look it you want to be cautious*

But um... it looks like Kerrigan and Zeratul have a cinematic fight... in the cinematic trailer... yeah.

Vicious
05-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Hell...it´s about time.

Couldn´t agree more.

Looks like the "new kerrigan" race was bullshit, it sure well seemed like it from day 1.

Edit: Epic Samwise art is epic, god they are awesome.

Tysar
05-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Yay!

And Zeratul is back! Awesomeness.

Can't wait for more info!

Kerrah
05-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Even though I never liked SC1 (finally one can call it that) as much as WC2 and 3, I'm definately gonna buy this.

edit:

Q: How many races are in StarCraft II?

A: In StarCraft II, players will see the return of the Protoss, Terran, and Zerg races. Our goal is to ensure that all the factions in the game play even more distinctly from one another than in the original StarCraft, while still maintaining the fine balance that helped make StarCraft such a classic. We're also introducing a number of new units to each race, as well as modifying some of the familiar units returning in StarCraft II. With these design refinements and the new features we have planned for the single-player and multiplayer elements of the game, StarCraft II will offer a next-generation StarCraft experience.

What happened to the Hybrids and the Xel'Naga?

Kenzuki
05-19-2007, 07:53 AM
I had a nerd orgasm when I saw this.

ScytheRexx
05-19-2007, 08:19 AM
MORE GAMEPLAY VIDEOS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJDFw4TGWmo&mode=user&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TR7nGISEfc&NR

Its so awesome listening to all the koreans have an orgasm in the background, hahaha...

Tularis
05-19-2007, 08:36 AM
A damn long time coming, and while the hype for it is bound to be astronomical, Blizzard will hopefully live up to the standards set by the original. And even though I am a WoW fan of sorts, even i can say thank god it isnt an mmo :P

I never expected them to be a playable race. i do however think they will come along. It would fit in with Kerrigan being made a sort of tragic figure as well - making her a semi protagonist in light of the overpowering threat of the Xel`naga.

Wulfang
05-19-2007, 08:49 AM
Yay!

And Zeratul is back! Awesomeness.

Can't wait for more info!

This is so awesome it brought Tysar back!

I'd love to see that cinematic trailer on the official site, it must be gorgeous. I've already made too much downloads this month so my parents would kill me if I even clicked the link :(

Can someone please download it and put it on youtube before I have a seizure from waiting too long?!

Aldrius
05-19-2007, 10:55 AM
It's on YouTube already I think.

Well, I think they may announce hybrids later... but I have no idea.

Nephalim
05-19-2007, 11:08 AM
I love how they're just teasing us with characters. Zeratul is like the bone they throw us, and then they just flash Raynor and Kerrigan at the end of the art trailer.

EDIT: Is this (http://www.starcraft2.com/art.xml?13) Mengsk and Nova?

Drirlake
05-19-2007, 11:09 AM
This game has my blessing, can't wait to try it:P

Timolas
05-19-2007, 11:39 AM
I hope they keep that awesome Wc3 cinematic element, and the greatness of a quality editor which Wc3 also happened to have.

Should be a blast.

Aldrius
05-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Is this Mengsk and Nova?

Can't link the art pages directly. (Just takes you to the main page) But I know the one you mean.

I think it's either Mengsk and Nova, or Mengsk and a flashback to an uninfested Kerrigan. It reminds me of the Uprising cover.

As for Zeratul, Raynor and Kerrigan, Metzen was asked about them at the press conference and he said 'don't want to get specific about storyline, but those three are definitely in it.' Er... which is kindof ironic, because those three and Mengsk are the only characters who were definitely featured in artwork.

Kinda disappointed that we haven't seen Artanis yet... he's probably my favourite protoss. I'm wondering if Nova will be in it too... hm.

Also: Are we sure the guy with the beard and the cigar is Raynor? It looks like him, but are we sure? If so: Yay! He got cool-looking. I always thought he looked dopey in the original.

Timolas
05-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Raynor was never a *** bomb, but that looks nothing like him if it is him.

I'm sure they'll include Artanis and a few others. They were pretty big characters in a game that doesn't have heroes, and with a need to develop a whole new story I'm sure they'll find a place.

I hope Dark Templar can be non-robotic units too. : /

Aldrius
05-19-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm sure they will be.

And it looks A LOT like Raynor, the smug smirk, the high brow-ridge... he just has long hair, a beard and a cigar. :P

emperium
05-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Starcraft is officially the talk of the town. It seems like all the message boards I have been to has a thread concerning Starcraft 2

Nephalim
05-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Well I guess ultimately it depends on how long has passed since the end of Brood War. But I think that's him.

And Timolas, I don't know what you said.

Anyway, I agree on Artanis, I really liked him too.

I have this fear that DuGalle will come back and they'll be all "oh you didn't see him get shot. He didn't die."

ScytheRexx
05-19-2007, 01:14 PM
To tell you the truth, in the demo mission they were playing, I kept thinking the protoss that would pop up and "brief" you was Artanis.

Probably not true, but we will see.

Oh, and the character at the end of the artwork is Raynor, definitly older and changed visually because of it. I mean, you can tell this is going to be a few years after what happened in Brood War, Mengsk looks really old for instance.

The picture just oozes Raynor, and is personally the best interpritation of him I have seen in a long time. The portrait in StarCraft never did him justice.

Also, one observation of the cinematic trailer, I think they actually spliced in scenes from what will be the future cinematics. The scene with Kerrigan turning to the camera, and a protoss that looks like Zeratul fighting something that is rumored to be a hybrid. (Though looking at it, I personally think its Kerrigan fighting Zeratul in melee combat, which is why the scene with Zeratul fighting and the one with Kerrigan turning around have the same background.)

Kerrigan is hot with those glowing eyes of evil, though the zerg spawned high heels are a little strange.

ARM3481
05-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I have this fear that DuGalle will come back and they'll be all "oh you didn't see him get shot. He didn't die."

That would truly be lame. Though one of my greater concerns about the UED is that (assuming they even appear in the new story) hopefully they'll do something to make them unique from the colonial human planets. It was moderately understandable from a development time standpoint not to give them an entirely different tech tree. However, at the same time it never really made logical sense that the earth humans, with access to earth's resources and long-developed governments and infrastructures, would be using the exact same level of technology as the Koprulu humans who had to start from scratch when they arrived on their new homes and whose planets are often only a cut above being uninhabitable wastelands. Supposedly they banished all of the mutating and criminal "undesireables" from earth, so it raises the question of where they got all their own "ghost"-type agents and violent criminals to be rewired into space marines. Plus, their ships and vehicles all had the same sort of "rustic and bolted together' feel as all the Koprulu ships had. Would be kinda cool to find in out that in reality they have shinier, more professional-looking fleets built to look more polished and less slapdash.

Hopefully they'll make use of the other factions too. I'd hate for the Kel'Morian Combine and Umojan Protectorate to become the Gilneas and Kul Tiras of the Starcraft universe, especially since each is said to have played host to their own fully equipped and extensive militaries, though we never saw them actively get involved in the events of SC.

Aldrius
05-19-2007, 01:47 PM
I hope the high heels are just a trick of the light... because seriously that's just weird. "I AM THE QUEEN OF BLADES!" *Struts in on high heels, everyone looks around weirdly.)

And I agree that it's Kerrigan and not a hybrid.

To tell you the truth, in the demo mission they were playing, I kept thinking the protoss that would pop up and "brief" you was Artanis.

That portrait looks nothing like Artanis, and it's a female (But the voice is male there... um...). It's the Mothership's portrait I think. Unless you're referring to something else.

Nephalim
05-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Also, one observation of the cinematic trailer, I think they actually spliced in scenes from what will be the future cinematics.I have no doubt about that. This was a teaser trailer, not an actual movie.

Also, the thing fighting probably Zeratul could easily be some other zerg.

Aldrius
05-19-2007, 02:08 PM
With arms and legs?

Timolas
05-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Dunno how any of you can make out anything in that fraction of a second we see a Protoss we assume is Zeratul.

ScytheRexx
05-19-2007, 02:16 PM
That portrait looks nothing like Artanis, and it's a female (But the voice is male there... um...).

Its a male voice because the guy in the portait is male, I don't see how you get female out of him at all. He appears long before the "mothership" appears.

http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/2758/protosscommandernp2.jpg

It's the Mothership's portrait I think. Unless you're referring to something else.

I am talking about the "Protoss Commander" that appears constantly throughout the gameplay missions, the only thing that does not make me think of Artanis is his greeting, which was the classic En Taro Adun, though he makes up for it later when he says En Taro Tassadar after blackholing those cruisers.

Actually I see what you mean now since the Mothership did use him as the portrait, but that could have been a placeholder, that is more likely then grabbing some deep voiced korean to so the voice in the much more important mission briefings.

Tysar
05-19-2007, 02:51 PM
heheheh :)

Try pausing the cinematic trailer during the first few seconds (before the Blizz logo appears).. see if you can find the secret picture :D

Timolas
05-19-2007, 02:53 PM
What's the secret image? The Arbiter vortex thing?

Tysar
05-19-2007, 02:57 PM
it's a photo of blizz staff having a party :)

edit: hmm, is it possible to take screens from videos with the newest Windows Media Player? I can't seem to do it even with video acceleration off (worked before for the older version)

edit2: nevermind, works now

edit3:
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6091/trailerjt7.jpg
^_^

Aldrius
05-19-2007, 03:03 PM
I am talking about the "Protoss Commander" that appears constantly throughout the gameplay missions, the only thing that does not make me think of Artanis is his greeting, which was the classic En Taro Adun, though he makes up for it later when he says En Taro Tassadar after blackholing those cruisers.

What about the fact that he doesn't look a thing like Artanis? =P Hm, actually maybe the commander photo is a placeholder too.

But yeah, alot of placeholders. Except for the mothership every single protoss unit has the same portrait. (I think it's the zealot's)

Dunno how any of you can make out anything in that fraction of a second we see a Protoss we assume is Zeratul.

Download it and hit the pause button?

Vicious
05-19-2007, 04:20 PM
EDIT: Is this Mengsk and Nova?

There´s an artwork of a City with the sign of the Sons of Korhal with statues of the old man there, so it´s safe to assume it´s Mengsk.

The ghost chick i don´t know, i don´t remember well but wasn´t Nova supossed to be in the Sons of Korhal faction?

Also, Kerrigan is hot.

Kenzuki
05-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Mengsk was 38 I believe at the start of Starcraft, so he'd have to have aged a little bit to look that old. Though leadership and stress can do that to you. For example look how old it's made President Bush since he first took office.

Also, if Sarah Kerrigan came walking up to me with stilletos (sp) I'de faint literally :P

ScytheRexx
05-19-2007, 06:09 PM
What about the fact that he doesn't look a thing like Artanis? =P Hm, actually maybe the commander photo is a placeholder too.

Possible.

I don't see why you are so set on the fact he does not look the same as Artanis, considering the only times we see Artanis are in a small little box and a crude (yet great for its time) cinematic.

Look at RAYNOR for instance, the guy still shows the personality but looks nothing like the balding hick portrait we see of him from StarCraft, so why can't Artanis become "more" badass with armor and such?

Kenzuki
05-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Jim Raynor is hot....I could see Hugh Jackman playing him in a movie.

Aldrius
05-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Possible.

I don't see why you are so set on the fact he does not look the same as Artanis, considering the only times we see Artanis are in a small little box and a crude (yet great for its time) cinematic.

Look at RAYNOR for instance, the guy still shows the personality but looks nothing like the balding hick portrait we see of him from StarCraft, so why can't Artanis become "more" badass with armor and such?

I'm not that against it being Artanis. It's just if it is, it's not a very accurate picture of him, and one of the things I liked about him was his design.

Nothing to do with armor. Has everything to do with the shape of his face. I'm all for Artanis getting awesome gold battle-armor and other things to make him look more adult and tough. (Loved his character development in Brood War) I just doubt it's him.

Tularis
05-19-2007, 09:52 PM
If it is Artanis, it does look completely different to him. So yeah, it could be him, or it might just be another random protoss guy (I assume they are releasing more storyline characters.) And it definetly looks like Zeratuel is fighting a hybrid, which makes sense - at the end of Brood War he was pretty much the only one who knew what was happening behind the scenes.

I wonder if Duran will come back...

Aldrius
05-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Er... the most common speculation is he's fighting Kerrigan (who I guess is a Hybrid in her own right. :P) and not a Protoss/Zerg Hybrid. =S

Just so you know. Feel free to speculate.

Nephalim
05-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Well seriously, the list of survivors is so meager it's probable that everyone who survived Brood War will make an appearance.

Also, we get, in no capacity, a clear shot of what Zeratul is fighting.

ARM3481
05-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Seems like assuming anything we see is a hybrid without spoken approval from the game or Blizz is jumping the gun. Especially since there could be any number of new, strange-looking Zerg strains introduced in the form of new units. There's no telling what sort of physical traits might manifest, and the only actual hybrids we've "seen" were generic stasis tank doodads in Brood War's hidden mission. For all we know, there might not actually be any in existence yet. Despite his supposedly numerous research facilities, Duran still might lack some vital ingredient for the final hybridization to succeed.

Besides, the whole idea of the hybrids as some grand threat is based wholly on the assumption that they'll actually be some sort of "perfect" being or at the very least, some kind of super-race. That was all derived from the beliefs of the Xel'Naga, and so far both of their known efforts to engineer races to their predesigned desires were ultimately failures due to their own short-sightedness and inability to accept that their intentions could be flawed from the start. They went from one extreme to the other, opting for purity of essence after thier failed attempt at creating a purity of form. They didn't even necessarily engineer the Protoss and Zerg with the intention of someday smashing them together and whipping up a successful result from the two lesser projects. It seemed like they pretty much wrote off the Protoss entirely.

There also seems some tendency to assume that somehow the Xel'Naga are now a malicious force, when the indications in their backstory are that they had good intentions in what they did (or at least the amorality of clinical, somewhat detached scientific curiosity). If they really had some sinister plan behind their efforts to engineer biological perfection, then it seems like they'd have purged the Protoss when it became clear that they had failed on Aiur, rather than lament the actions of their "children" and simply depart sadly to embark on thier next endeavor.

Kerrah
05-20-2007, 02:57 AM
Hmm... I've heard rumors that SC2 Internet Play is going to cost monthly.

I hope Blizzard isn't that stupid.

ScytheRexx
05-20-2007, 06:44 AM
Hmm... I've heard rumors that SC2 Internet Play is going to cost monthly.

They are putting it on Battle.net, which has never held a fee, as they get money on advertising, and you know tons of companies are going to pay for those banner space for this game.

GreenEye
05-20-2007, 07:07 AM
It would be stupid to charge for a non-mmorpg anyway.

Also, Timolas, get on MSN.

Nephalim
05-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Yeah, there's no need to charge for battle.net, and if they did, it would piss a lot of people off. I mean, it's one thing to charge for an MMO, which is hardly a precedent, but they've had battle.net going for ten years and have yet to charge for it.

Tularis
05-20-2007, 10:14 AM
While the Xel`naga had never been mentioned as being malacious in any form, Duran however was most definetly not a good guy, and he was not human. the scope of his manipulation as well suggests that there is a great plan in the works. If he wasn't working with the Xel`naga, there is someone else in the great void who wishes to betroy harm on the major civilisations - and it could be someone completely random, no reason why not.

Not to mention, it was said in the final movie of brood war that despite Kerrigan's victories, she still felt unsettled for reasons unknown. (Am completely paraphrasing here.) Going by all those points, it does suggets that there is something else out there, and it will become a threat. Whether or not that will happen in starcraft 2 remains to be seen, but I can't actually see Blizzard making another game where the struggle is just focused primarily on the three races. With every game they have expanded their scope (with the real exception of Warcraft 1 and 2, and that did add alot more elves and dwarves and so forth.)

Aldrius
05-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, Duran was not necessarily a 'bad guy' when he showed up in Dark Origins no more than he was a 'good guy' when the UED found him, or a 'bad guy' when he teamed up with Kerrigan. He wound up being ambivilent. Someone who considers himself and his experiments to be beyond the scope of Zeratul or Kerrigan's understanding. We don't know who he really is, or what his goals are, but I'm sure we're going to find out.

Oh, and we know so very little about the Xel'Naga or what the purpose behind their experiments were, don't we? I can't remember if there's any mention of why they were doing these things in the manual.

Vicious
05-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Someone who considers himself and his experiments to be beyond the scope of Zeratul or Kerrigan's understanding. We don't know who he really is, or what his goals are, but I'm sure we're going to find out.

Well, when he revealed his true nature in the secret mission, he seemed to be extremely condescending to a Zeratul (Who´s one of the most old protoss out there) calling him "boy" and treating him as clueless for not seeing the true purpose of the recenty made hybrid, he also hinted to what he is and his goals refering to the Xel´naga and their quest of fabricating the perfect life form.

Aldrius
05-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, that much is obvious... but what does he plan to do with these new creatures?

Maybe even he doesn't know.

GreenEye
05-20-2007, 12:09 PM
He also had an inhuman voice.

Kerrah
05-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, that much is obvious... but what does he plan to do with these new creatures?

Maybe even he doesn't know.

He was making a band. Calling it Samir Samir.

Vicious
05-20-2007, 12:16 PM

Use them to correct his past mistakes?

And by "correct mistakes", i mean kill everybody else. He did planted them on thousands of planets.

Timolas
05-20-2007, 12:32 PM
He was making a band. Calling it Samir Samir.

You mean Duran Duran? ;D

Kerrah
05-20-2007, 12:33 PM
You mean Duran Duran? ;D

Shhh.. You don't want to get sued!

Timolas
05-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Shhh.. You don't want to get sued!

Samir Samir!

Nephalim
05-20-2007, 01:04 PM
What makes you think that protoss is a woman? I didn't think Raszagal was female until I heard her speak. I wasn't aware there was any telling feature they had to distinguish man from woman, in our capacity.

Timolas
05-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Well we only ever saw her head, so who knows what they've.. got.

Vicious
05-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Hum....apparently Starcraf 2 will take palce 4 years after Brood war and that the terran fatiobn that we´ll play will be the "evil empire" Terran Dominion.

Aldrius
05-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Because it was the portrait of the Protoss Mothership, Neph. Which had a female voice. =S

That's why, but Scythe is right, it was probably a placeholder.

Yuber8900
05-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Seems their giant ass height allows Colossi to be hit by Missle Silos.

Kenzuki
05-20-2007, 05:44 PM
The one thing Starcraft taught me was this.

All the Terrans that were exiled from Earth seemed *to me* to be Southern.....

I'm Southern....so this frightens me.

Flamestrider
05-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Battlecruiser pilots are Russian. And a few others (wraiths and dropships) have pretty generic accents. But other than that, all of the exiles seem to be caricatures of American southerners.

Kenzuki
05-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Battlecruiser pilots are Russian. And a few others (wraiths and dropships) have pretty generic accents. But other than that, all of the exiles seem to be caricatures of American southerners.

Aye, that's what I mean. All the Terran heroes, minus the ones from the UED seem to be Southerners! Even Kerrigan sounds a little southern herself. Which is not a problam to me, being a southerner myself. I just thought it was funny. Hell even the organization is called The Confederacy.

Kerrah
05-21-2007, 05:01 AM
What the heck are you smoking?

Battlecruiser = British
Valkyrie = German

Nephalim
05-21-2007, 08:03 AM
In the Terran backstory the UPL standardized the world as English-speaking, so technically no one should have any accents at all.

Vicious
05-21-2007, 09:05 AM
In the Terran backstory the UPL standardized the world as English-speaking, so technically no one should have any accents at all.

Expect the english speaking people that already had accents.

Kerrah
05-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Expect the english speaking people that already had accents.

And of course people from other-language nations would bring their personal touch to it.

edit: Valkyrie driver says "achtung" and I don't see anyone flying her to jail.

Vicious
05-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Holy jesus tap dancing christ, the Protoss Mothership is fucking BROKEN, what the hell is the Zerg and Terran equivalent of that thing?

Kerrah
05-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Holy jesus tap dancing christ, the Protoss Mothership is fucking BROKEN, what the hell is the Zerg and Terran equivalent of that thing?

Sand Worm from Dune and the Hubble Telescope.

Cantus
05-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Aye, that's what I mean. All the Terran heroes, minus the ones from the UED seem to be Southerners! Even Kerrigan sounds a little southern herself. Which is not a problam to me, being a southerner myself. I just thought it was funny. Hell even the organization is called The Confederacy.

The whole idea behind using the old south as a basis for the Terran Confederacy is two fold. One is to give it a bit more of an animosity towards the UED, a North vs. South kind of feel of values. The other is just to mock the Terrans as a whole, because honestly Southern beliefs and lifestyles are possibly one of the most ridiculed simply within the U.S., much less other countries.

Creative
05-21-2007, 12:38 PM
I do belive I should grace this topic with my glorious presence.

First, hooray Starcraft.

But I am a little nervous about the Mothership and those super units. If there is one thing I don't like in RTS it is the Godmode Weapons. They just beat the point of the game.

But, I have faith in Blizzard.

Kenzuki
05-21-2007, 01:18 PM

First, hooray Starcraft.

But I am a little nervous about the Mothership and those super units. If there is one thing I don't like in RTS it is the Godmode Weapons. They just beat the point of the game.

Maybe it will be like those summoned Titans in Age of Mythology, they take a buttload of resources and alot of time to make. And they could always zerg it. Besides, Hero units were a hoot in Warcraft III, I don't care what anyone says.

Vicious
05-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah, from the gameplay demo you could see that the mothership has HUGE firepower but if it acts alone or if it´s focused in the right way, it´s just another unit to die.

The game still works on rock paper scisser.

Aldrius
05-21-2007, 01:54 PM
It wasn't as powerful as the demo implied. They gave it a huge amount of energy.

ScytheRexx
05-21-2007, 02:25 PM
It wasn't as powerful as the demo implied. They gave it a huge amount of energy.

Yup, supposedly after using its "big" abilities, it uses loads of energy and thus can not use its attacks until it charges, leaving it vulnerable to attack. The demo they gave the ship unlimited energy so they could show off all the abilities it can use.

Flamestrider
05-21-2007, 04:22 PM
What the heck are you smoking?

Battlecruiser = British
Valkyrie = German

I didn't mention Valkyries because they only appeared in the expansion.

But Battlecruisers are quite definitely Russian. I don't know what kind of British accent you're thinking of, but the only unit in Starcraft that sounds British is the Science Vessel, and that's a robot.

ARM3481
05-21-2007, 06:55 PM

First, hooray Starcraft.

They do remain militarily inclined, even if they seem unbalanced at the moment. It's a far cry from the all-too-frequently-used, non-military methods of winning in some RTS's out there like Wonder-building and "researching" to win by default. I dunno about everyone else, but I play an RTS expecting some fighting to occur, not so I can build my gigantic army only to lose to some punk in the far corner of the map who tech-jumped their way to a diplomatic victory over everyone else without firing a single shot. They can save that stuff for the turn-based genre, thank you very much.

The idea of the Mothership and other potential "super-units" does answer for some of the technoloy which conveniently vanished from the Protoss arsenal in SC, since they started out capable of scorching entire planets from orbit, yet suddenly they lost that power as soon as the Terran campaign ended. That capability shouldn't have just disappeared into thin air just because Tassadar stopped pressing the button to use it. You'd think they would still be willing and able to cleanse a planet like Char of all surface organisms if they knew that the Zerg had completely supplanted the indigenous life forms, as one would expect of nearly any planet they held for an extended time.

Aldrius
05-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Well, Tassadar refused to use it, and then by the time the other protoss ran into Zerg they were on Aiur, and they didn't exactly want to blast their own planet.

ARM3481
05-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Well, Tassadar refused to use it, and then by the time the other protoss ran into Zerg they were on Aiur, and they didn't exactly want to blast their own planet.

True, but one would think that with such firepower, they could have t least incinerated everything around the Overmind prior to the final assault upon it (or at the very least, been engaging in orbital bombardments of regions that they completely lost to the Zerg.

It wouldn't provide much of a mission at the game's end, but from a practicality standpoint it would make sense to simply annihilate the hive clusters from orbit rather than fight through them all to reach the Overmind.

It's part of the inherent drawbacks of portraying space warfare: in reality, by the time we reach other worlds to the degree that planets are waging war on each other, it'll probably consist of striking from vast distances away with largely computerized weaponry through a combination of precision attacks and large-scale "bombs" used on enemy infrastructures rather than sending massive numbers of foot soldiers and mechanized armor units to do the job, since the sheer distances involved render the idea of infantry somewhat obsolete: however fast modes of transportation become, having soldiers who run around on foot operating at the physical speed of human beings would bottleneck the efficiency of many other technological davancements.

The Starcraft way is certainly more fun than the more likely reality of interstellar combat, though. :D

Timolas
05-22-2007, 04:15 AM
Yeah I've always wondered, if even the Terrans themselves could nuke Korhal into space dust why don't they just use big time guns on the enemy.
I don't mind anyway. Would be a plot killer if Kerrigan got nuked into oblivion without a single duel onscreen.

Kerrah
05-22-2007, 05:38 AM
I didn't mention Valkyries because they only appeared in the expansion.

But Battlecruisers are quite definitely Russian. I don't know what kind of British accent you're thinking of, but the only unit in Starcraft that sounds British is the Science Vessel, and that's a robot.

Battlecruiser Pilot is clearly Brrrrrrritish. If you can't make that out, you've clearly got no ability in seperating diffrent nationalities from the speakers English pronounciation.

If you want to hear examples of Russian English, play Red Alert.

"Wje wjill bjury thjem!

Aldrius
05-22-2007, 10:55 AM
It's not a very good Russian accent, but it's absolutely not any type of British accent.

Kenzuki
05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to say "Nucular wessels"

Timolas
05-22-2007, 03:43 PM
The Magistrate aka Battleship Commander always struck me as being Russian. If he was British I'td have been something more like
"Hey, mate how's it hangin'? Need anythin' bombarded?"

EDIT:
Speaking of the Magistrate does anyone else remember the Starcraft Demo? The human colony finds itself surrounded by unidentified 'xenomorphs' and suddenly these Cerebrus guys show up to help save the day, rescue the scientists and along with Edmund Duke, eradicate the infestation?
Though the Magistrate was a southerner, not really Russian.

Yuber8900
05-22-2007, 03:48 PM
The Magistrate aka Battleship Commander always struck me as being Russian. If he was British I'td have been something more like
"Hey, mate how's it hangin'? Need anythin' bombarded?"

EDIT:
Speaking of the Magistrate does anyone else remember the Starcraft Demo? The human colony finds itself surrounded by unidentified 'xenomorphs' and suddenly these Cerebrus guys show up to help save the day, rescue the scientists and along with Edmund Duke, eradicate the infestation?
Though the Magistrate was a southerner, not really Russian.

Stop with the smokin' Sal, you're not making any sense.

Creative
05-23-2007, 06:40 AM
I say Zerg's superweapon is a huge, flying... Zergthing.

Terran will use .... a nuclear wessel!

Flamestrider
05-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Battlecruiser Pilot is clearly Brrrrrrritish. If you can't make that out, you've clearly got no ability in seperating diffrent nationalities from the speakers English pronounciation.

Uh, no. I have met British people and I have met English-speaking Russians.

From the way he says, "Battlecruiser Operational" it's immediately obvious that that's not a British accent. The "a" soud is more of an aa (as in a sheep's baa), and the emphasis lands on the "Cru." The "u" does not have a dipthong (I swear to god, that's what it's called), as it would in British English. Basically, it doesn't sound like "Crew," but more like "Cruu." Overall, what he says sounds more like "BaattelCRUzer OperAYshonal."

Also, Timolas, the Magistrate used the same portrait as the Battlecruiser Pilot, but he does not use the same voice. He was clearly a Southerner.

Kerrah
05-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Uh, no. I have met British people and I have met English-speaking Russians.

From the way he says, "Battlecruiser Operational" it's immediately obvious that that's not a British accent. The "a" soud is more of an aa (as in a sheep's baa), and the emphasis lands on the "Cru." The "u" does not have a dipthong (I swear to god, that's what it's called), as it would in British English. Basically, it doesn't sound like "Crew," but more like "Cruu." Overall, what he says sounds more like "BaattelCRUzer OperAYshonal."

Actually I am willing to submit to my defeat, since I haven't played the game for about 5 years or so. I just have a very strong memory of a British accent.

Damn I need to find a "best sellers" edition from some store. They all sold out within a day of SC2s announcement.

ScytheRexx
05-23-2007, 03:29 PM
I know I am coming late to the party, but the Battlecruiser does have a Russian accent.

And so people can refresh their memories, check the link below.

Tysar
05-23-2007, 03:39 PM
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/starcraft-2/790195p2.html

One of the most surprising revelations in the team's presentation was that StarCraft II will have the same number of units as the original game. That means that for every new unit added to a sides' army, one had to come out. Apparently the team did this for both gameplay and design reasons. Limiting the number of units forced the team to focus on exactly what each unit was expected to do and why it should be there. There were some iconic units like the Zealots, Marines and Zerglings that no one could imagine the game without, but there were other calls that were apparently quite painful to make. Pardo seems to feel that forcing the team to make these painful choices will result in a better game by avoiding extraneous units that never get used.

Scary... I wonder what units will end up being dumped. Personally I just hope the Stalkers won't replace Dark Templar.

emperium
05-23-2007, 03:49 PM
I really wonder if Nova will somehow play a part in the story line. If I recall correctly Kerrigan is collecting psychics and infesting them. It the hopes of creating someone like her(Although I don't know why). All attempts thus far have failed. But considering Nova is the most powerful psychic in all the Terran Dominion(possibly stronger than Sarah Kerrigan(uninfested) herself) she would probably have the highest chance of successfully being infested.

ScytheRexx
05-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Scary... I wonder what units will end up being dumped. Personally I just hope the Stalkers won't replace Dark Templar.

Personally I hope they didn't get rid of the Goliath, and if they did, they better add another awesome small mech based unit to take its place.

Other units I hope return...

Archons
Hydralisks
Wraiths
Carriers
Lurkers

Lets make a list of the units we know are returning, at least based on the gameplay video.

Protoss
Zealots
Probes

Terran
Marines
SCVs
Seige Tanks
Battlecruisers
Dropship
Ghosts

Zerg
Zergling
Mutalisks

Aldrius
05-23-2007, 05:10 PM
It the hopes of creating someone like her(Although I don't know why).

Because she's lonely and everybody hates her? She's one of a kind.

And the infestation has nothing to do with power, it's about genetic compatibility. However, I do agree that Kerrigan will probably attempt to turn Nova into another infested ghost.

Kenzuki
05-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Because she's lonely and everybody hates her? She's one of a kind.

And the infestation has nothing to do with power, it's about genetic compatibility. However, I do agree that Kerrigan will probably attempt to turn Nova into another infested ghost.

If Nova is even IN Starcraft II, you mean.

ARM3481
05-23-2007, 07:06 PM
If they mean the original game, that might not leave much room to work with. Remember that prior to the expansion, the Dark Templar wasn't even a functional unit, being untrainable and only used for special story-related situations in the campaign. They didn't even exist in multiplay. Hopefully they won't just cop out and throw in some lame reason that Zeratul's the only Dark Templar involved in the fighting for the sake of multiplayer balance within the limited unit-type structure.

Given Starcraft's phenomenal success, it'd be all too tempting to just make the new one shinier and otherwise identical out of fear of breaking what worked before. It would be truly sad if we find out every single unit is essentially just a 3D version of the old ones, with the same rates of fire, proportional hit points and identical tactical applications. Some people out there accuse Blizzard of never really innovating, but every game has at least had something new over the old ones. Hopefully they won't end up just selling everyone the exact same game again with new graphics and a different story. Especially since, far as I can tell, every picture is top-down. If SC2 lacks even WC3's in-game camera flexibility, it'll look an awful lot like an outright rehash.

Aldrius
05-23-2007, 07:43 PM
If Nova is even IN Starcraft II, you mean.

They're going to need some new ghost character. Nova has the name recognition, and I see aboslutely no reason why she wouldn't be in it.

ScytheRexx
05-23-2007, 08:36 PM
I think Nova will be in the game, in essense she is a lot like the "Thrall" of the StarCraft Universe at this point.

Was being introduced in a game that was cancelled.

The cancelled game was turned into a book.

Also, Blizzard is not going to use all the same characters. We know some of the old favorites will return, like Zeratul, Kerrigan, Raynor, and Mengsk, but we still have a lot of ground that needs to be covered.

Right now, on the list above, Mengsk is the only guy that is part of the Terran Dominion (Confirmed the group we play in the Terran Campaign), but as the overlord type character, I don't expect to see him around the maps a lot. Thus we will need someone to be the new Raynor, Kerrigan, Zeratul, or Fenix, the hero that runs around with the forces rather then sitting up on a throne on Korhal.

Nova fits well because she is supposedly the NEW Kerrigan, the operative and assassin that works privatly with Mengsk, and thus adding her cancelled game and noval, is almost a sure thing for StarCraft 2.

Tysar
05-24-2007, 03:25 AM
We've also got that old guy from the gameplay trailer, he'll probably be one of the Terran characters as well.

As for the removed units, I wouldn't fear for loss of Hyrdalisks Scythe, we've already been shown concept art for them as well as one in the cinematic trailer.

handclaw
05-24-2007, 07:09 AM
We've also got that old guy from the gameplay trailer, he'll probably be one of the Terran characters as well.

I agree! There is even a limited statue of that guy aviable, revealing also his name: "Tichus Findlay"

You can see it here...
https://us.blizzard.com/sc2collectible/starcraft2/menu.html

Tysar
05-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Wait, I meant the guy from gameplay trailer, the admiral dude with a moustache!

Yuber8900
05-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Admiral Gastrobilch or something of that nature.

handclaw
05-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Wait, I meant the guy from gameplay trailer, the admiral dude with a moustache!

WHOOPS... Sorry, was bit tired and misread -.-' Sorreeee <<'

Kenzuki
05-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Supposedly, Nova might even be more powerful psionically than Sarah Kerrigan was when she was human.....:P

ScytheRexx
05-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Supposedly, Nova might even be more powerful psionically than Sarah Kerrigan was when she was human.....:P

I have not read Ghost yet, but the back of the book mentions that, during some sort of "episode", she killed over a hundred people just using her brain, when she was only a kid.

Thats intense.

Kenzuki
05-24-2007, 02:40 PM
I have not read Ghost yet, but the back of the book mentions that, during some sort of "episode", she killed over a hundred people just using her brain, when she was only a kid.

Thats intense.

It's also incredibly ***y.

Yuber8900
05-24-2007, 03:16 PM

Damn that censor!

Aldrius
05-24-2007, 04:49 PM
That's... ridiculous.

ScytheRexx
05-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Here is the quote from the book.

"She was once a privileged child of one of the Old Families of the Terran Confederacy, but her life changed forever when a rebel militia murdered her family. In her grief, Nova unleashed her devastating psychic powers, killing hundreds in a single, terrible moment."

Aldrius
05-24-2007, 05:07 PM
lol. Nova isn't stupidly uber, a mary sue or silly. Nope, not at all... well, at least in that case.

Timolas
05-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Damn that censor!

Your arch nemesis strikes again!

Nova is rather overpowered.

Kenzuki
05-24-2007, 07:02 PM
I think it's cool. Magi can kill hundreds with one attack, why cannot psionics do the same thing?

Yuber8900
05-24-2007, 07:28 PM
I think it's cool. Magi can kill hundreds with one attack, why cannot psionics do the same thing?

Because the psionics in SC have no limit on their powers.

Nephalim
05-24-2007, 09:15 PM
I agree! There is even a limited statue of that guy aviable, revealing also his name: "Tichus Findlay"I think Findlay will probably go the way of Gui Montag - a familiar face in the background lore, but not a main character. Assuming (at least, I am) that Findlay is the marine from the teaser, then he's just your standard-issue marine. An ex-con hopped up on stimpacks and tossed into the field.

Aldrius
05-25-2007, 05:53 AM

Because StarCraft is more grounded in reality than that... one person being capable of killing thousands, just makes the character unrelatable in a way. Well, obviously I'll probably never be a psychic ghost with athletic abilities... but still. It's just...takes away an element of the realism somehow, maybe someone else can describe it better than I can.

Hell, actually... even in WarCraft I don't like seeing non-immortals (like demons, giants, dragons etc.) taking out large numbers of people. Well, except for Mograine because he had the Ashbringer. (Which is like powered by one of the crystals from Argus)

Vicious
05-25-2007, 06:14 AM
Was being introduced in a game that was cancelled.

The cancelled game was turned into a book.

It wasn´t exactly the same thing as Thrall port to the novel, the Starcraft Ghost: Nova book was announced when the game was still up and running and being developed by Blizzard, the book was supposed to be (And technically it is) a prequel to the game and show us Nova´s past in the Old Families of the Confederacy, her wanderings in the Gutter and her training as a ghost, explaining us her current situation as a top Ghost officer in service to Mengsk but it didn´t had anything to do with the "Wraith" storyline of the game.

Aldrius
05-25-2007, 06:20 AM
Hm, the one thing that makes me question Nova's presence in the game is the fact that Ghost and 2 take place in the same year... of course maybe they'll just translate whatever story was in Ghost in 2... I dunno how that'd be possible but you know what I mean...

Vicious
05-25-2007, 06:31 AM
I kinda don´t want it to happen because Ghost seemed to be a really kick ass game from what all the coverage they gave it, the game was like Counter strike, Metal Gear Solid, Max payne and Halo all in 1, i really hope they´ll consider porting the game to the next gen consoles.

Timolas
05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
I have a feeling that this Tichus Findlay guy will do most of the fieldwork. For him to be in the introduction it hints he's somewhat important. Gui Montag never got so much as a mention in the campaign, so I think they're a little different.

Flamestrider
05-25-2007, 11:04 AM

...What?

Regarding Findlay, I don't think there's very much they can or will do with him. He's a way for Blizzard to say "remember how awesome marines are." But currently, there's really nothing to differentiate him from any other marine. Considering that he doesn't appear to be of a higher rank, I don't see any real way Blizzard could incorporate him into the campaign as a distinct character.

Aldrius
05-25-2007, 11:08 AM
S
E
X
Y.

I'm guessing. :P I don't really know why that's censored... reproduction is a natural part of life! I blame the american government... and by association the old monarchy of England!

Eh, people are getting worked up by the fact that Findlay has a statue. I think it means nothing. There's an action figure of Shandris, and she's a pretty nothing character.

Creative
05-25-2007, 01:06 PM
He had footchains! He may be speshuuul!

Kenzuki
05-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Chris Metzen makes a forward in Nova, hinting that there will be other books about her. By the way, Nova isn't her real name.

Her name is November Anabella Terra.:)

Aldrius
05-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Isn't Nova supposed to be short for November?

Kenzuki
05-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Isn't Nova supposed to be short for November?

Yeah

Flamestrider
05-25-2007, 03:20 PM
I knew what Kenzuki was trying to say. It just strikes me as a bit odd that he apparently considers the idea of a woman killing people using her mind to be arousing.

Kenzuki
05-25-2007, 03:55 PM
I knew what Kenzuki was trying to say. It just strikes me as a bit odd that he apparently considers the idea of a woman killing people using her mind to be arousing.

I like women with power.

Vicious
05-25-2007, 04:15 PM

It isn´t?

Aldrius
05-25-2007, 04:29 PM
I like women who don't need power.

Kenzuki
05-25-2007, 04:43 PM
I like women who don't need power.

***ist, you like them in the kitchin barefoot and pregnate too don't ya.

Aldrius
05-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Oh definitely.

...I said women who don't NEED power, not women who don't want it. :P

Vicious
05-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh definitely.

...I said women who don't NEED power, not women who don't want it. :P

Aldrius said this while his woman was making his sandwich.

Kenzuki
05-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Aldrius said this while his woman was making his sandwich.

He has a women? Damn....guess I owe Vicious ten bucks now.

Aldrius
05-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Kenzuki has money?

Damn, looks like I owe Vicious too. =(

Vicious
05-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Holy shit, i like where this is going.

Kenzuki
05-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Damn, Aldrius actually reads the things that I write.....

Aldrius
05-25-2007, 07:42 PM
WTF is that supposed to mean?

Kenzuki
05-25-2007, 08:46 PM
WTF is that supposed to mean?

Whatever you want it to.

Aldrius
05-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Whatever you want it to.

...are you coming onto me?

Kenzuki
05-25-2007, 08:59 PM
...are you coming onto me?

Nah, I don't do perky.

Flamestrider
05-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Kenzuki is into S&M. I guess I have to pay up as well.

Kenzuki
05-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Ok this is just fucking gay.

*throws gold on the table and walks out of the thread*

Aldrius
05-25-2007, 09:21 PM
It wasn't gay when you were coming onto me?

Flamestrider
05-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Wait, Kenzuki's gay?

Now Vicious owes me 10 dollars. That makes us even.

Aldrius
05-26-2007, 12:46 AM
Slowly but surely, we are digging into Vicious' enormous trust funds from all his successful bets!!

Kerrah
05-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Posting on these forums' second legendary thread. I'm literally ROFL.

emperium
05-26-2007, 04:30 AM
Personally I don't think Nova is that "overpowered". I mean even in a SC1 game swarms of zergs/marines could easily be killed by a well placed psionic storm(especially if your enemy is too stupid to move his/her units).

As for Nova being stronger than Kerrigan...well she could be as strong as her. I mean the book did mention she was the strongest psychic the Terran ever found.

Heh, anyways I hope the storyline has the Zerg being beaten back. I want some payback for the Protoss and Terran. Hopefully the protoss will be able to reclaim Aiur, a rebel group(hopefully led by Jim) will be able to kill Mengsk. And hopefully Kerrigan gets her butt kick and Maybe a new overmind could be born.

Tysar
05-26-2007, 04:46 AM
I don't think Kerrigan will get killed, but rather lose her status of the "Queen Bitch of the Universe". Blizz mentioned the Hybrids and Xel'Naga will have large input in the storyline, and I guess they will cause some trouble for her.

Then, in the expansion, Protoss reclaim Aiur :cool:

Creative
05-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Wait, Kenzuki's gay?

Now Vicious owes me 10 dollars. That makes us even.

Kenzuki is a very fabulous man, didn't you realize it until now?

Vicious
05-26-2007, 07:36 AM
By the way, all of you suck at betting.

Nephalim
05-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Then, in the expansion, Protoss reclaim Aiur :cool:That would be interesting, and set a precedent. The trends seem to go, aside from Diablo:

Game = Good guys win.
Expansion = Bad guys win.

Aldrius
05-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Well I hope Blizzard doesn't continue to write in 'trends'... that'd be kind of silly. I hope they come up with a storyline that's both original and interesting. And not just 'lool Terrans win cuz' its their turn obviusly.'

And I dunno about the Protoss reclaiming Aiur, wouldn't it kind of remove the whole plot and drama of the High Templar living with the Dark Templar?

And hopefully Kerrigan gets her butt kick and Maybe a new overmind could be born.

Why would they kill of all their interesting characters for another version of a character that died twice? =S

Yuber8900
05-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Why would they kill of all their interesting characters for another version of a character that died twice? =S

Uther and Kel'Thuzad.

Aldrius
05-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Um... what?

Tysar
05-26-2007, 04:43 PM
And I dunno about the Protoss reclaiming Aiur, wouldn't it kind of remove the whole plot and drama of the High Templar living with the Dark Templar?

Ye, I was just being a Protoss fanboy when I wrote that :D

Although the "drama" is actually a reason for the High Templar to leave Shakuras as soon as they can.

Aiur should be beyond their reach now, though it would be cool if the Protoss were in position to reclaim it, but the only way was to bomb the shit out of the planet. Now THAT would be dramatic :p

Kenzuki
05-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I want to see a romantic conflict between Raynor and Kerrigan personally.

"So...are you going to kill me too darlin'?"

Aldrius
05-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Meh. I like Raynor/Kerrigan being kept inexplicit.

Kenzuki
05-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Meh. I like Raynor/Kerrigan being kept inexplicit.

I like the drama they had in the original. I want to see that explored more, I want to see some CONFLICT, not just Sarah blowing his head off with a thought.

Aldrius
05-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Well if they DO come to blows, then yeah. Conflict, drama all that good stuff...

I just dunno if we'll see them facing each other in this chapter... but then, the cinematic didn't suggest anything about the story whatsoever except maybe that the Hybrids are probably in it.

I'd actually like to see more on Zeratul and Kerrigan's 'relationship'. They've got a fight scene coming up and that should be interesting.

Vicious
05-26-2007, 08:44 PM
I'd actually like to see more on Zeratul and Kerrigan's 'relationship'. They've got a fight scene coming up and that should be interesting.

Well, she did fucked him up royally. Several times.

Both of them have some serious catching up to do, it´s the part in SC 2 i want to see the most.

Aldrius
05-26-2007, 09:07 PM
What!? She didn't do anything that bad!

All she did was kill his brethren while they were trying to escape, lock him up in an installation, pretend to be his ally then kill Aldaris, kidnap his queen and force him into putting his and other Dark Templar's lives on the line, reveal that she had mind-fucked his queen and made her into her servant, hunted him down when they both tried to escape, and then forced him into killing her in order to free her.

That's not that bad!

...right?

emperium
05-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Another interesting possible storyline would be the Protoss being forced into destroying Aiur in order to defeat Kerrigan or some other Faction which threatens the Galaxy.

Aldrius
05-26-2007, 11:24 PM
You know what else would rock!? If Tassadar came back to life and killed all the villains with a thought! Then all the infested planets went back to the way they were before! And then he uses a portal to go into WarCraft and do the same thing!

Man, that'd kick ass!

Nephalim
05-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Another interesting possible storyline would be the Protoss being forced into destroying Aiur in order to defeat Kerrigan or some other Faction which threatens the Galaxy.Isn't Kerrigan's base of operations Char?

emperium
05-27-2007, 04:20 AM
Isn't Kerrigan's base of operations Char?

Yes it is on Char. However there is still a very large Zerg foce on Aiur, not to mention the fact Aiur probable still has quite a few secrets left that could change the starcraft universe.

Kenzuki
05-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Sargeras gets reborn in our Universe, and destroys the Zerg, Protoss, and Terrans. Then Blackthorn runs over him with his motorcycle. The end...

Creative
05-29-2007, 09:57 AM
I think (note, hope) Raynor will kill Kerrigan, one way or another!

And, I hope Xel'Naga appears, and who is Blackthorn? Is he that macho man from that game I don't remember the name?

And I tried to write something witty and funny, but I couldn't make up anything.

Timolas
05-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Blackthorn was that Bandit Lord who ended up being possessed by one of Sylvanas' banshees...

At least the Warcraft one. >_>

Kerrah
05-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Blackthorn was that Bandit Lord who ended up being possessed by one of Sylvanas' banshees...

At least the Warcraft one. >_>

He was a reference to an early Blizzard game called Blackthorn.

Aldrius
06-04-2007, 01:59 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=20192&type=wmv&pl=game

Interview with everyone's favourite Head of Creative Development. :P

Tysar
06-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Leaked video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30MBljXxg3M

Carriers are back :D So are Archons!! So are Reavers!!! :D

Wulfang
06-14-2007, 06:13 AM
Twilight Archons? Are those a mix between a high and a dark templar?!

Creative
06-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Awesome. We all now Twilight sounds much cooler than "Light" or "Dark"!

Vicious
06-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Awesome. We all now Twilight sounds much cooler than "Light" or "Dark"!

Princess Midna can vouch for that.

Kenzuki
06-17-2007, 10:46 AM
It's been updated with NEW UNIT.

Phoenix, which replaces the Scout and Corsairs I'm assuming.

Vicious
06-17-2007, 01:28 PM
The Tempest unit is also the new Carrier, it looks kinda dark so it may be the Dark Templar version.

Edit: Haha, the Phoenix´s artwork is 2 years old already, just to show they have been doing a game for quite some time.

Kenzuki
06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
I have a feeling that there won't be a Dark Templar unit, and that it's been replaced with that dragoonish version called the Stalker. Oh well, as long as we have Ghosts I'm happy ^_^

Aldrius
06-17-2007, 04:39 PM
That doesn't make any sense Kenzuki.

And PCGamer disagrees with you. :P

Kenzuki
06-17-2007, 04:50 PM
That doesn't make any sense Kenzuki.

And PCGamer disagrees with you. :P

I just ment they said that they were replacing some of the old units with the new ones. If they said that there will be a Dark Templar unit in the game that's great, they were one of my favorite ones.

Vicious
06-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Wait, Pcgamer magazine already confirmed the Dark Templar unit, Blizzard is giving more info to outside sources than their own page.

Creative
06-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Wait, Pcgamer magazine already confirmed the Dark Templar unit, Blizzard is giving more info to outside sources than their own page.

Has Blizzard or PCgamer said that? We may never know... o.o

Kenzuki
06-18-2007, 05:54 AM
Blizzplanet has the link. Gives the names of the units and everything.

They also confirmed that legendary pictures is going to make a Diablo movie, as well as a remake of the classic, "Clash of the Titans!"

Vicious
06-18-2007, 06:05 AM
They also confirmed that legendary pictures is going to make a Diablo movie.

Wow.....that was just out of nowhere.

Timolas
06-18-2007, 07:11 AM
The more the merrier!
Just a shame the Warcraft movie isn't based off canonical events.

Kenzuki
06-18-2007, 08:50 AM
The more the merrier!

I'm happy it isn't, they'de screw it up and retcon it for sure. They'de likely turn Lothar into some otherworldly pimp and Hellscream into some saintly hero.

Timolas
06-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Best case scenario - based off canonical events and they don't screw up.
I may as well ask for everything I don't like retconned though. =P Just as likely to happen at least.

Kerrah
06-18-2007, 10:15 AM
They also confirmed that legendary pictures is going to make a Diablo movie

This can either be really good or really bad.

Kenzuki
06-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Considering they will probably mess it up and make it nothing like the story is supposed to be, I think it will suck.

Vicious
06-18-2007, 01:01 PM
The more the merrier!

Seriously?

So it won´t be an official adventure?

Kenzuki
06-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Seriously?

So it won´t be an official adventure?

Totally Vicious, it's about this nerd who gets sucked into the game while he's raiding rofl.

Vicious
06-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Ok ok, i misread it, no need to throw terrible movie scripts at my face.

Kenzuki
06-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Why do I get the feeling it will be like that "Whorecraft" thread that was on here a while back.....

Timolas
06-18-2007, 01:34 PM
it's about this nerd who gets sucked into the game while he's raiding
Yet another laugh I've had on the forums.
Don't forget Creative's touch - the film ends with everyone laughing before getting home in time for brunch.

Kerrah
06-18-2007, 01:42 PM
And everybody lives happily ever after...

safe for the main villain, who is killed...

and the comical evil minion, who is defeated and embarrassed, and in the end wonders if he'll get his reward soon (just like in Aladdin 2)

Kenzuki
06-18-2007, 02:01 PM
They then write "The Villan later returned in 7 days...."

Kenzuki
06-18-2007, 05:48 PM
As of 7PM today, Diablo is now unlisted on Legendary Pictures' website.

Vicious
06-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Ok, now that was random.

What the fuck does that mean?

Kenzuki
06-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Ok, now that was random.

What the fuck does that mean?

I have no idea, though you're right in that this isn't the thread for it. But while I'm here is it true that the Terran Campaign will be about the Terran Dominion?

ARM3481
06-18-2007, 09:55 PM
I have no idea, though you're right in that this isn't the thread for it. But while I'm here is it true that the Terran Campaign will be about the Terran Dominion?

It does seem the Dominion will be the primary Terran agency focused upon. Though there's always the possibility of someone like Raynor coming along partway through the story and convincing the players' "character" to join his cause after Mengsk orders them to do something morally questionable or abandons them to some terrible fate.

Or perhaps, though there will only be the three races, there might be a fourth campaign that follows a unified group of the beleaguered races as they join together against the greater threat, rather than limiting the story's conclusion to a single race's storyline like the original. It would be kinda interesting if they just gave each race their whole campaign to be fleshed out and built up, rather than causing whichever one is last to give up half of their story to the all-encompassing, apocalyptic "every race could die" events.

The main Terran groups of interest to many are the Dominion and Raynor's crew, and unfortunately the Umojans and Kel-Morians could feasibly be relegated to the role of background noise in the manual, essentially the Gilneas and Kul Tiras of Starcraft, providing occasional groups of Terran units in single-player big battles for variety, but otherwise not being segregated from the other Terrans as far as the story's concerned. Maybe not, but it'd be sad if it were. With the Umojans especially; the thought of a Terran faction seeking to willingly align themselves with the Protoss to learn from them and not being universally consumed by rampant corruption and political strife always seemed interesting to me, especially since somehow they were able to stay consistently strong enough to remain independent of the highly militant Confederacy and the Combine.

Kenzuki
06-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I think the Terran Dominion has great possibilities personally. If nothing else Arcturus Mengsk is a great and cunning leader.

Vicious
06-20-2007, 10:35 AM
http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc01.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc02.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc03.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc04.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc05.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc06.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc07.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc08.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc09.jpg

The storyline will take place 10 years after Brood war, the universe maybe a very different place now.

Kenzuki
06-20-2007, 02:02 PM
10 years!? They had said four originally. Dang, no wonder Arcturus and Raynor look alot older now. That makes the following people alot older.

Arcturus Mengsk - 48

James Raynor - 39

Sarah Kerrigan - 36

Zeratul - 644

Not that it matters for Kerrigan and Zeratul now haha.

Vicious
06-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Mengsk and Raynor look older in the new artwork, Raynor got a revamp in looks, who looks nothing, who looks nothing like his avatar in the first game.

It´s very similar to Metzen´s artwork though.

Aldrius
06-20-2007, 04:57 PM
He resembles his icon from the first game. He's just not bald.

I don't believe the PCGamer article. Pardo said 4 didn't he?

Well if it's 10, that increases the odds of the Dark Templar Trilogy and Nova playing a role.

Kenzuki
06-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Raynor wasn't bald, he was skint head. Queen of Blades says he started to let his hair grow out. Seems he's getting some gray in there now though hehe.

Aye it does Aldaris. The end of the Nova book is right at 4 years past Brood War. While the Dark Templar Saga happens 4 years after Brood War as well.

ARM3481
06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
I did always kinda wonder about Raynor: he's basically portrayed as a marine in-game, but the general implication is that space marines are reconditioned convicts and "undesireables", made soldiers in lieu of execution or serving time in prison. So one is caused to wonder, was he just a regular guy in charge of the garrison at Mar Sara who used similar equipment to his troops, or is he a former convict (perhaps wrongfully charged, perhaps justly) who was "programmed" to his current behavior?

Kenzuki
06-21-2007, 03:36 AM
He's not a Marine. He was a Marshal, which was the local police force. Now he DOES use the same kind of armor that marines use from time to time. He actually uses three models in SC. The Marine, Vulture, and he pilots the Battlecruiser that used to be Mengsks, The Hyperion.

Saim
06-21-2007, 09:25 PM
http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc01.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc02.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc03.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc04.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc05.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc06.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc07.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc08.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/PCGamer/sc09.jpg

The storyline will take place 10 years after Brood war, the universe maybe a very different place now.

Dang, you beat me too it.

Anyway, I don't know much about SC, but this game looks great! I wonder what the Twilight Archon will be like... I wonder, is it replacing the Dark Archon, or will they both exist?

Vicious
07-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Holy shit, Chris Sigaty, one of the producers said in E3 that Archons in Starcraft 2 will be easier to make because they will require only 2 High templars to make while in the original Starcraft we needed 3....

Who the fuck is this guy?! Did he ever played Starcraft?!

Kenzuki
07-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Holy shit, Chris Sigaty, one of the producers said in E3 that Archons in Starcraft 2 will be easier to make because they will require only 2 High templars to make while in the original Starcraft we needed 3....

Who the fuck is this guy?! Did he ever played Starcraft?!

rofl pwnd.

Vicious
07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Some Swedish magazine got some exclusive unit information about SC 2, here are the scans:

http://imajr.com/temp/7d5300592a_StofferGubbar_1_191337.jpg

The Dark templar looks more like a Dark "Zealot" than anything else.

http://imajr.com/temp/0c3e49b19a_StofferGubbar_2_191338.jpg

Is it just me or the Ghost model sucks ass?

http://imajr.com/temp/37a82d6e53_StofferGubbar_3_191339.jpg

A transformer unit = fucking awesome.

Crash Torrian
07-17-2007, 04:51 PM
http://limitedgaming.com/files/18/newterranunits.jpg

Kenzuki
07-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Thor......*drools*

Autobots...Roll Out!

Aldrius
07-17-2007, 05:08 PM
The ghost model is weird.

I like the idea of a transforming thing. Hehe...

But what's a DK? I'm lost on that front.

Hehehe... they are designing Supply Depots for walling in this game.

Omacron
07-20-2007, 10:10 AM
It's no secret I'm a whore for both Sci Fi and Transformers. I was originally a protoss fanboi, but now I'm gonna have to play terrans simply for the Viking.

Vicious
07-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Soul Hunter went down the crapper and apparently the Thor is the equivalent of a Colossus meaning it´s not the "big" unit.

What the hell is it then? The Death Star?

handclaw
07-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Soul Hunter went down the crapper and apparently the Thor is the equivalent of a Colossus meaning it´s not the "big" unit.

What the hell is it then? The Death Star?

Blizzard said they don't want to give each race a big unit like the mothership...... -.- They want make the races unique compared to each other, ya know? <.<

Vicious
07-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Yeah but Blizzard also said that each race is getting a big unit, they just corrected the rumor that Thor was it.

handclaw
07-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah but Blizzard also said that each race is getting a big unit, they just corrected the rumor that Thor was it.

Where did they say that...

Vicious
07-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Where did they say that...

Just watch the E3 presentation when they pop up the mothership.

Why is that surprising that each race is getting a big unit?

How is it balanced if one race gets a base killer unit and the others don´t?

Aldrius
07-20-2007, 12:15 PM
By giving something to the other races that is different? @_@

Like a Command Center that can defend itself?

handclaw
07-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Theres some confusion on the forums whether the Protoss Mothership is the only super-unit in the game, or if each race will have one as well. Apparently it was mentioned at WWI but a specific quote eludes most. Whats the final word on this?

Theres no other planned unit that will quite compare to the Protoss Mothership. Its really the ultimate unit in the Protoss arsenal, and while its extremely powerful its also difficult to create, and of course only one is allowed to be on the map at any one time. Keep in mind too that relative to the amount of damage the Mothership can take or dish out, we've only shown a single video where the Mothership was given a lot more in the way of what it would normally be capable of, for the sake of showing the unit off. The video shown at the announcement ceremony in no way indicates our intended balance for the final game.

Also, I searched for the E3 presentation and when I watched I heard no mention of giving all races a super unit... Well, give the link to the video you watched then... <<

And as Aldrius said, they can give the other races something different of their own, which doesn't have to be a super unit.

I have also to add that the mothership seemed to be unstoppable in its first presentation because blizz made it invincible to show off its abilities, which won't be the case in the normal game...

Kerrah
07-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Just watch the E3 presentation when they pop up the mothership.

Why is that surprising that each race is getting a big unit?

How is it balanced if one race gets a base killer unit and the others don´t?

Well if Terrans get nukes, it might balance things out for them a bit.

Kenzuki
07-20-2007, 07:08 PM
The Death Star....good one vicious, you made me laugh out loud and spew pepsi out of my nose!

Vicious
07-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Boy, aren´t we literal tonight?

Like a Command Center that can defend itself?

I don´t think that a ship that stops time, makes Dark Holes and make a psionic storm can be compared with a building with guns but that just me...

Well if Terrans get nukes, it might balance things out for them a bit.

They had them before and the whole gameplay point of Starcraft 2 is new stuff for the old races.

Also, I searched for the E3 presentation and when I watched I heard no mention of giving all races a super unit... Well, give the link to the video you watched then... <<

Hum, i re-watched the video and now i don´t remember where i heard that...must have made a mistake then.

But the way Blizzard said that Thor wasn´t the "big" unit implied that they do have one.

I have also to add that the mothership seemed to be unstoppable in its first presentation because blizz made it invincible to show off its abilities, which won't be the case in the normal game...

Not telling me anything new, they made that clear when they presented the unit.

Kerrah
07-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Well if Terrans get nukes, it might balance things out for them a bit.They had them before.

Well I always found it unbalanced they were the only ones with a weapon of that calibre.

handclaw
07-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Okay, dunno if the news is true, but I was on the german site gamestar and it said that all races would get a super unit... But I don't know if this can be trusted because.... The same site said that one of the cinematics will feature Jim Raynor... Problem: They said the mentioned cinematic was shown on the korean presentation! :P

Aldrius
07-21-2007, 09:25 AM
They might have been talking about the artwork trailer.

Or they think Tychus Findlay is Raynor.