PDA

View Full Version : WoW Comics Podcast w/ Chris Metzen, etc

Warlock
07-28-2007, 11:07 PM
<A HREF="http://dccomics.com/">DC Comics</a> has made a one-hour podcast available of a panel discussion from this year's Comic Con, featuring Chris Metzen, Mickey Nielson, and Jim Lee about the upcoming WoW Comic Series. You can listen to that <A HREF="http://dccomics.com/media/podcasts/DCComics_2007-07-28_Wow_Its_World_of_WarCraft_San_Diego_Comic_Con_2 007.mp3">right here</a> (or if the link isn't working, the page it's on is <A HREF="http://dccomics.com/news/?nw=8279">here</a>). It gives a neat overview of what went into planning the comic, what it will mean to WarCraft canon, and soforth. It also seems that most (or all?) of the new DC action figures are based off characters in the comic series. So definately give it a listen.

Or, Blizzplanet has a <A HREF="http://blizzplanet.com/news/1550/">nice summary</a> if you don't want to listen (and thanks also to Blizzplanet for spotting the podcast).

Aldrius
07-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Did Micky Nielson quit and come back or something? His name has been popping up left and right lately.

The writer worked on Thor? This is very good news. Thor is a nice example of modernized fantasy...

"All of our human characters are either old, dead or they've become super villains."

Dear god. I can't believe he said that.

Pft. Why don't they just use Jaina for that role? Damn you Chris! How can I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time!? Curses!

Warlock
07-28-2007, 11:56 PM
I just got done listening to it - very good. Though the damn MMOers need to stop asking retarded questions like "what will you do about AFKers in Alterac Valley?".. That's not even a Chris Metzen question.

It's really starting to sound like the main character is in fact going to be Varien Wrynn (who lost his memory), at least they sort of hinted that way. The Samwise alternate cover sure as hell looks like him.

It also sounds like Blizzcon will reveal a ton of shit. I have a feeling they may even do a trailer for the WarCraft movie.

Aldrius
07-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Micky was dropping spoiler bombs left and right. :P

ARM3481
07-29-2007, 02:13 AM
Pft. Why don't they just use Jaina for that role? Damn you Chris! How can I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time!? Curses!

Kind of a mixture of "hope and fear" for the future WC stories. Could be that, while it's cut-and-dried reducing a villain to a raid encounter for WoW, the mightiest heroes are harder to utilize as it stands without cutting out their legs from under them, so to speak. Though she's currently been unjustly reduced to standing around a pretty meaningless, empty outpost city in WoW, as far as lore is concerned she's just about the only human left with a pulse who bears legendary status from having led her people in one of the great wars (though it sure doesn't help that apparently legendary reknown among the humans of Azeroth seems to include martyrdom on the battlefield as a prerequisite). Anything she does risks shaking the foundations of WC's political situation if she's killed or otherwise removed from action, and to put things bluntly, this isn't Star Trek. In that, I mean that we can't really expect the Captain (or in this case the leader of an entire city) to regularly drop everything and personally take part in adventures when she has scores of people working for her whose job it is to deal with those things. The previous WC's jutsified it because that's the only time one does see that sort of thing: when faced with war on a massive scale, the higher-ups take up the sceptre of command and actually get directly involved. WoW is too static to feasibly have the Thralls, Jainas and Tyrandes constantly packing their bags and gallavanting around into players' questline events, and it'd be marginalizing to their importance if other media had them repeatedly wandering about on less-than-epic quests after what we've already seen them do in WC3 and before.

Case in point, the only responsible way to use the heroes is probably in a linear, tightly packaged story such as an RTS would provide, and we're more than likely a goodly ways from having another WC RTS. Since the human heroes have proven remarkably death-prone compared to the rest, we've got a depressingly small supply of viable ones still kicking, so it might indeed prove most effective at this time for them to use the other story-driven media to introduce the groundwork for future new ones.

Kerrah
07-29-2007, 03:05 AM

Dagren
07-29-2007, 03:24 AM
http://dccomics.com/news/?nw=8279

Try here ;)

Kerrah
07-29-2007, 03:44 AM
http://dccomics.com/news/?nw=8279

Try here ;)

Thanks.

Kenzuki
07-29-2007, 06:24 AM
OMG OMG Chris Metzen called him "The Anti-Thrall"! Remember I called it first, I called it first!

Wulfang
07-29-2007, 06:52 AM
OMG OMG Chris Metzen called him "The Anti-Thrall"! Remember I called it first, I called it first!

This only proves that Metzen either reads this forum or is one of the members and pretends to be an innocent fan...

Kenzuki
07-29-2007, 06:54 AM
This only proves that Metzen either reads this forum or is one of the members and pretends to be an innocent fan...

So Neph, Scyth, still want to claim I don't know how the Light works......

Kerrah
07-29-2007, 07:48 AM
If anyone here is Metzen, it's Cucumberman.

Nephalim
07-29-2007, 07:49 AM
It's not that you don't know how the light works, you just don't know what it is.

ScytheRexx
07-29-2007, 12:31 PM
So Neph, Scyth, still want to claim I don't know how the Light works......

Ken, anyone with a pulse would call him the Anti or Counter-Thrall just by reading the synopsis. I thought that before I even visited this board, so does that make me right on everything =P

Either way, I am starting to think more and more that this is going to be Varian Wrynn. I am extremely curious how it will all play out, I just hope we don't get to much of a role reversal. If this guy is the "Anti-Thrall" then we could be looking at a massive shift to the Horde being a lot more aggressive and less kind most of the time.

Sp00ky
07-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Well as long as the series will eventruly end with the king reganing his memory and return to Stormwind, well then I will be glad

THough I find it hard to belive that the Alliance would fail to reconise the king of Stormwind..

Kerrah
07-29-2007, 12:56 PM
an "Anti-Thrall" would be an evil, demon-worshiping guy, who turns the alliance into the new weapon of the Burning Legion.

Kenzuki
07-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Ken, anyone with a pulse would call him the Anti or Counter-Thrall just by reading the synopsis. I thought that before I even visited this board, so does that make me right on everything =P

Either way, I am starting to think more and more that this is going to be Varian Wrynn. I am extremely curious how it will all play out, I just hope we don't get to much of a role reversal. If this guy is the "Anti-Thrall" then we could be looking at a massive shift to the Horde being a lot more aggressive and less kind most of the time.

Scyth, I was joking around because of the comment that Wulfgar made.

"This only proves that Metzen either reads this forum or is one of the members and pretends to be an innocent fan..."

I was trying to imply that I am Metzen. But anyway, I think it's a sure bet that it is Varian Wrynn. The dudes all but blurted it out when some geek mentioned the questline.

"Gee....that would make an excellent comic...."

Nephalim
07-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Uhh... did anyone else notice?

Metzen is talking about Rexxar and how they changed him to a more major character by transplanting him to Outland. He then says that you need to suspend your disbelief since you can go back to Desolace and still see Rexxar and Misha wandering around. But you can't. Rokaro is the new Champion of the Horde and he now fulfills Rexxar's old post, gives his old quests, etc. Rexxar's no longer in Desolace at all.

Timolas
07-29-2007, 02:44 PM
If anyone here is Metzen, it's Cucumberman.

The truth shines through.

Kenzuki
07-29-2007, 02:46 PM

Metzen is talking about Rexxar and how they changed him to a more major character by transplanting him to Outland. He then says that you need to suspend your disbelief since you can go back to Desolace and still see Rexxar and Misha wandering around. But you can't. Rokaro is the new Champion of the Horde and he now fulfills Rexxar's old post, gives his old quests, etc. Rexxar's no longer in Desolace at all.

He forgot about the Nation of Gilneas man......

Timolas
07-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Does Metzen even play World of Warcraft?
Sometimes I wonder if he's become a retard.

Reminds me of the Southpark episode of World of Wacraft. The game designers don't even play the game. "I have a life!"

Aldrius
07-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Well he's obviously not a programmer. :P

I think Rob Pardo is the bridge really. Between Metzen and the programmers.

Nephalim
07-29-2007, 02:57 PM
My point was more that he seems to be making changes but then is unaware of how they filter down to the finished product. I realize this is a fairly minor detail, however it's one that has some implications about how to interpret World of Warcraft.

Timolas
07-29-2007, 03:30 PM
"Ganking some Alliance near Tarren Mill."
Maybe that guy gets hit by a car.

EDIT: I just laughed out loud... hardly subtle mentioning the King of Stormwind and whistling innocently.

Aldrius
07-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Wait a second...

Timolas did you just insult Jim Lee!?

Timolas
07-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Who's Jim Lee?

Rowan Seven
07-29-2007, 04:00 PM

Rokaro? Out of curiosity, what race is he? Another Mok'Nathal, or something else? I haven't met him yet.

Anyway, while I didn't know about Rexxar being replaced with someone else in the Desolace, I'm glad to hear that Metzen and Blizzard are considering reusing existing characters in WoW for new purposes. It's a good way to prevent the world from seeming overly static and to hopefully continue the personal stories of characters. For example, Blizzard could do a lot with Tirion Fordring if they decide to use him in another quest chain somewhere outside the Plaguelands.

On a different note, I found the back-and-forth over Garona to be quite entertaining. It's good to know that she hasn't been forgotten by Blizzard, even if they're apparently not certain what to make her.

Timolas
07-29-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm glad they mentioned that the Lich King 'needs justice with his long hair'. XD I laughed. That bitch is going down.

Rokaro is just an orc.

I loved how they said that without Thrall... the Horde would be in chaos, pretty much reverting back to more brutal ways. Orcs are gankers. Bahaha.

Aldrius
07-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Ahh!!

en.wikipedia.com/Jim_Lee

I loved how they said that without Thrall... the Horde would be in chaos, pretty much reverting back to more brutal ways. Orcs are gankers. Bahaha.

He didn't say that. He said he wondered what would happen if Thrall were gone and that they MIGHT revert back to their barbaric ways.

Timolas
07-29-2007, 04:15 PM
He didn't say that. He said he wondered what would happen if Thrall were gone and that they MIGHT revert back to their barbaric ways.

They said it would be a mess.
EDIT: Hold on I'll go check again and try get the exact quote.

Aldrius
07-29-2007, 04:16 PM
He asked.

Would it be a mess?

He is pondering... and wondering what would happen.

Nephalim
07-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Rokaro? Out of curiosity, what race is he? Another Mok'Nathal, or something else? I haven't met him yet.He's an orc. I'd guess he's some sort of rogue, or something.

Timolas
07-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Person: Mentions that as a Horde player she feels she's an antagonist rather than a protagonist and that in the comic it seems to be going in that direction too and that if there will be Horde comics.

Then it's just answering by talking about how they're making orcs more 'dimensional' and 'more than that'. Then it is mentioned how a Horde player claims to be a ganker, and 'thats what orcs are'.
Bla bla etc.
"If Thrall wasn't there, what happens? Woah. Right, actually I think it would be catastrophic right. Do all these orcs really buy into this stuff?"
"Or if anything were to happen to Thrall? Heaven forbid. It would be horrific right."

Aldrius
07-29-2007, 05:02 PM
He thinks. He's not the only person writing it, though. :P

Timolas
07-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Don't question the big guy.

Yuber8900
07-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Don't question the big guy.

Exactly.

And on that note, yay double-meanings!

Vicious
07-30-2007, 05:58 AM
He's an orc. I'd guess he's some sort of rogue, or something.

Wow, i had no idea that they did that, sounds pretty lame.

Kenzuki
07-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Chris Metzen is such a cool guy. My favorite was when he was talking to the Hakkar guy. The one who "asked the question heard round the world."

"It was you....."

Aldrius
07-30-2007, 06:51 AM
I do not know what to make of Metzen. He seems like a neat guy but he is so... inconsistent. He does not act at all how I would have thought. I mean... if Illidan is Boba Fett then why the hell is the night elf section of the manual entirely dedicated to him? Rah...

On the other hand he does not take himself too seriously, which is both frustrating and refreshing at the same time. :p

Kenzuki
07-30-2007, 06:55 AM
I also have alot of respect for a man who says he'd like to have another man's babies in public.

Timolas
07-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Metzen seems like a cool guy, just less trustworthy in regards to the lore than I'd hope. x-P

Kenzuki
07-30-2007, 02:03 PM
It's just a game guys.

Timolas
07-30-2007, 02:17 PM
It's just a game guys.

... and this happens to be a forum about it.

Kakwakas
07-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Hm....
So he says next week, he'll mention a few things about the progression of the storyline, the movie, and one third thing I forgot (D:). I'm betting they're all going to be related.

I'm looking forward to this comic, though!

Aldrius
07-30-2007, 08:47 PM
It's just a game guys.

...what... does this have to do with anything?

Saim
07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
It's not like the orcs would go evil and demonic if Thrall left, sure they'd fight with the humans, and the warlock cults will gain a bit more footing, but my impression is that the orcs will remember Thrall's lesson. Plus, with Tauren influence...

Although you could say the same about UD influence, the Orcs don't really trust the UD (mainly because they're unnatural).

Mark_Romaneck
07-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Metzen should get raided and looted for him too feel the pain!

Saim
07-31-2007, 01:35 AM
Yeah, because he's GONE INSANE!

Aldrius
07-31-2007, 02:32 AM
Although you could say the same about UD influence, the Orcs don't really trust the UD (mainly because they're unnatural).

If anything, I think the UD would be a positive influence when it'd come to deciding whether to start pillaging and raping again...

The undead would want to keep things civilized.

Kenzuki
07-31-2007, 05:32 AM
If anything, I think the UD would be a positive influence when it'd come to deciding whether to start pillaging and raping again...

The undead would want to keep things civilized.

You mean until they unleash the plague to kill off their former allies right?

Aldrius
08-04-2007, 11:16 AM
They're not going to kill their own bloody allies!

"Wow, you guys have been real nice to us, and staying allied with you is only beneficial... EAT PLAGUE!"

Yeah, not gonna happen.

Timolas
08-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Well the New Plague has been completed!
They're using it on the Scourge in Northrend.

For now!

Nephalim
08-04-2007, 12:58 PM
It's just a game guys./e cackle

Ken, do you really expect us to just forget all the times you've gotten passionately angry about things to do with Warcraft?

We know it's "just" a game, but a lot of us take it seriously... and so do you. So if you're gonna get on someone's case for getting on Metzen's case for screwing it up, you'll have to do significantly better thanIt's just a game guys.

Saim
08-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Well the New Plague has been completed!
They're using it on the Scourge in Northrend.

For now!

Yay the Undead are more morally ambiguous than evil now!

*unrelenting joy*

Yuber8900
08-07-2007, 02:32 AM
You know, I always thought the "It's just a game" was always the biggest cop-out excuse for an argument ever created.

Granted I'm me and thus much smarter then you all, but still...