PDA

View Full Version : Sons of the Storm Update

Warlock
09-04-2007, 05:22 PM
<A HREF="http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/">Sons of the Storm</a> has updated once again with several new pieces of artwork. Of particular interest, there is a new faction crest called "Icon of the Damned." Something for Wrath of the Lich King perhaps?

Omacron
09-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Icon of the damned... Vrykul icon, maybe?

Angrida- a named Succubus? Odd, maybe she'll be of importance in the expansion.

Aldrius
09-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I... don't see the icon of the damned. Who drew it? Samwise?

EDIT: Oh, there it is.

That looks awesome.

Warlock
09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Angrida is a Trading Card Game artwork.

It could be the Vrykul I suppose, but I would think they'd have a more "viking-y" looking one, with dragon crests and such

Darkwind
09-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Angrida is a Trading Card Game artwork.

It could be the Vrykul I suppose, but I would think they'd have a more "viking-y" looking one, with dragon crests and such

Splinter faction of the Scourge, perhaps? One controlled by the Dreadlords? The Damned would fit that pretty well.

Zarnks
09-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Ah Draenei do have fangs. http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/viewer_thammer.php?cat=warcraft&art=16

Kenzuki
09-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Splinter faction of the Scourge, perhaps? One controlled by the Dreadlords? The Damned would fit that pretty well.

Icon of the Damned = Cult of the Damned?

Omacron
09-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Weren't the cult of the damned green, not red?

Darkwind
09-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Icon of the Damned = Cult of the Damned?

*smacks head* Of course! Ugh, I can't believe I forgot about them. Good call, Ken.

Warlock
09-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Cult of the Damned already have an icon. It's plastered all over Scholomance :P And yeah, it's purple with a green skull on it.

Kenzuki
09-04-2007, 10:28 PM
True....

The beards are vikingish?

Darkwind
09-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Cult of the Damned already have an icon. It's plastered all over Scholomance :P And yeah, it's purple with a green skull on it.

That I just never noticed.

What else could it be? I mean, sure, the Vykrul, but why would they call themselves "The Damned"? Doesn't make sense.

Unless, of course, it's not a Warcraft symbol, but a Diablo symbol.

handclaw
09-05-2007, 01:21 AM
I dunno where, but I think I saw that Icon somewhere already... :raisedbro

Aldrius
09-05-2007, 01:25 AM
It's definitely a WarCraft crest. Follows the trends too closely.

Darkwind
09-05-2007, 06:14 AM
It's definitely a WarCraft crest. Follows the trends too closely.

I'm really inclined to agree, but I didn't want to dismiss other options.

Kenzuki
09-05-2007, 08:54 AM
The symbol is also in the Warcraft section :P

Darkwind
09-05-2007, 11:07 AM
The symbol is also in the Warcraft section :P

I'm batting a thousand, aren't I?

Omacron
09-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, the Vrykul DO work for the scourge- I'm not sure if they're undead or humanoids, but they're definitely not HEALTHY, and probably have some form of scourge induced malady that'd make them 'damned'.

Kenzuki
09-05-2007, 02:12 PM
The Vrykul have just awoken from their slumber and are seeking the Lich King's favor. Also Metzen called them "Vampyric."

Drirlake
09-05-2007, 02:15 PM
That "Shadow hunter" Art is quite confusing actually, What does it stand for? There is a half female protoss and a female human in it.

ScytheRexx
09-05-2007, 03:13 PM
That "Shadow hunter" Art is quite confusing actually, What does it stand for? There is a half female protoss and a female human in it.

Its the cover for the next book in the Dark Templar Trilogy.

Lots of times, when it comes to a trilogy, Blizzard likes to reuse a specific cover style.

War of the Ancients = Two characters from past and future, Cover One had Malfurion and Krasus, Cover Two had Tyrande and Broxigar, Cover Three had Illidan and Rhonin.

The Sin War = A naked bald guy doing a lot of scary poses.

Dark Templar Trilogy = Terran and Protoss faces being crossed.

Kenzuki
09-05-2007, 03:15 PM
I will explain.

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/images/raneman/StarCraft_Raneman003c.jpg

This picture shows Jacob Ramsey (nicknamed Jake) the protaganist of the first novel, and the other half is ment to represent Temlaa, who is the ancient protoss that Jake experiences in these memory visions.

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/images/raneman/StarCraft_Raneman006c.jpg

This picture no doubt is Rosemary Dahl, the assassin character from the first novel who finds herself joining forces with Jake. I assume she too will have this sort of experience.

I'm actually pleased that they are doing the same motiff for the trilogy hehe, I wonder who will be on the last one.

Kakwakas
09-05-2007, 06:24 PM
That new crest is probably for the death knights...

Beowulf
09-05-2007, 06:37 PM

Nice:thumbsup:

Im assuming it’s the crest of the Knights who broke away from the Lich King. Blizzard even said that a group a Death knights have freed them selves from the lich kings grasp, this is how the game justifies you being able to play one.

Flamestrider
09-05-2007, 06:53 PM

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. Blizzard hasn't released crests before for non-playable groups. It's the most logical conclusion.

Kenzuki
09-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Knights of the Damned

Aldrius
09-05-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm actually pleased that they are doing the same motiff for the trilogy hehe, I wonder who will be on the last one.

Some people I've talked to think it could possibly be Tassadar, Raszagal, Fenix or one of the other Protoss who fell before the swarm.

I think it is an awesome idea personally.

Warlock
09-05-2007, 10:06 PM
I considered it was for the Death Knight class, but it's odd that they would make one for a class, even if it was a hero class. Something closer to what they've done with the other classes (ex: green dagger for the rogue, staff for the priest, etc) seems more like what they'd do.

Also, it seems to me that a Death Knight crest should have some kind of runeblade on it, not sickles.

It actually reminds me of this more than anything:
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-749

Mostly just for the similar lanterns :) (though actually the Revenant one is a mace I think.. or a "Mace-tern" :)) But also the sheild is sort of a similar shape to the back of the crest. Not much, but just reminded me of that piece :P

But maybe a Revenant faction in Northrend? Speaking of which, we haven't seen any Revenants at all in WoW, have we? *clasps hands together in anticipation*

Edit: Has the Revenant piece *always* been the very last item in Samwise's gallery there? Why is it not with the colored pieces? Wonder if it was secretly added recently because they will end up re-using it in some WoW promotional stuff (i.e. like another Bestiary)? Or maybe I'm just being paranoid :P

Darkwind
09-05-2007, 10:29 PM
I considered it was for the Death Knight class, but it's odd that they would make one for a class, even if it was a hero class. Something closer to what they've done with the other classes (ex: green dagger for the rogue, staff for the priest, etc) seems more like what they'd do.

I think they did do that. Their icon is a runeblade.

Personally, I'm still stumped as to what it could be. Sure, it could be a faction of Death Knights, but we haven't really gotten any sort crest for other factions before, outside of tabard designs.

ARM3481
09-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I think they did do that. Their icon is a runeblade.

Personally, I'm still stumped as to what it could be. Sure, it could be a faction of Death Knights, but we haven't really gotten any sort crest for other factions before, outside of tabard designs.

It's gonna be damned sad if the Death knights get whole chains of extra quests and stories and are treated like a real "group" within the game while the rest of the classes rot in Generic Raid Questline Hell. After level 40 or so the story and NPC's in WoW suddenly couldn't care less if the player is a warrior, rogue or mage. Where's the high-level Paladin hangout? Where's the place where Warlocks can go at level 70 and tackle problems that only such a Warlock can handle? Where's the "Brotherhood of Warriors"-type group where player Warriors can go to regularly test their mettle alongside and against other warriors? Give people some class-based story diversity dammit!

Aldrius
09-05-2007, 10:45 PM
It's gonna be damned sad if the Death knights get whole chains of extra quests and stories and are treated like a real "group" within the game while the rest of the classes rot in Generic Raid Questline Hell.

Better the Death Knight than nobody, though I think.

Kenzuki
09-05-2007, 10:47 PM
It's gonna be damned sad if the Death knights get whole chains of extra quests and stories and are treated like a real "group" within the game while the rest of the classes rot in Generic Raid Questline Hell. After level 40 or so the story and NPC's in WoW suddenly couldn't care less if the player is a warrior, rogue or mage. Where's the high-level Paladin hangout? Where's the place where Warlocks can go at level 70 and tackle problems that only such a Warlock can handle? Where's the "Brotherhood of Warriors"-type group where player Warriors can go to regularly test their mettle alongside and against other warriors? Give people some class-based story diversity dammit!

Are any of THOSE hero classes?

Darkwind
09-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Are any of THOSE hero classes?

Exactly.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'd love if they put in some flavor for the regular classes, too. I'm still holding out hope that Ravenholdt will be finished someday.

ARM3481
09-05-2007, 10:51 PM

Imagine, Death Knights begging on General Chat for somebody to run them through dungeons to finish content that not a single other class gets to benefit from, well after the regular classes have gotten everything they need from said dungeons.

Aldrius
09-05-2007, 10:52 PM
I know what you mean, ARM. I agree with you. I'm just saying let's not stifle original class-specific content in the aims of fairness.

ARM3481
09-05-2007, 11:01 PM
I know what you mean, ARM. I agree with you. I'm just saying let's not stifle original class-specific content in the aims of fairness.

Understood. Though I'm certainly bracing myself for the oncoming flood.

No, not the flood of new Death Knights once WotLk is released. I mean the flood of new complainers in WoW.

Mark my words, unless Blizz completely redefines the mechanics of instance encounters down to the core necessities to make "room for one more" on the list of needed support roles, somebody is going to find themselves with less work with a new class running around. Even were it not a hero class, any new class addition would, by the very nature of adding such a thing, take a bite out of one of the other classes' roles in group-oriented content. Since it's such a big deal, I couldn't imagine Blizz making the whole thing exclusive by creating requirements only available to high-end raiders. It's a shiny new class; they'll want everyone to have the chance to try it if they so choose.

It'll certainly make for some interesting arguments about who's overpowered and who needs nerfing, though. Not to mention a new pair of hands reaching into the pot whenever plate armor drops.

Omacron
09-05-2007, 11:23 PM
If the warlock haven'd turn out like moonglade... I'd actually prefer blizz would spend time making a raid I'd never go to.

Hopefully moonglade will be revisited if they ever bring in the Dream.

Vicious
09-07-2007, 11:18 AM
So if that tabard is for the Death Knights, it´s safe to assume that they are going to form their own "Silver Hand".

After a couple of weeks, the concept doesn´t sounds so strange.

Darkwind
09-07-2007, 12:01 PM
So if that tabard is for the Death Knights, it´s safe to assume that they are going to form their own "Silver Hand".

After a couple of weeks, the concept doesn´t sounds so strange.

I hope there is some dynamic between these Knights of the Damned (If that's what this is) and the Order. It could be quite interesting. . .

Kenzuki
09-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I hope there is some dynamic between these Knights of the Damned (If that's what this is) and the Order. It could be quite interesting. . .

WoW is too static for that.

Kerrah
09-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Since the Death Knights are parts of the alliance and the horde, they can't have a faction-free order.

Rowan Seven
09-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Since the Death Knights are parts of the alliance and the horde, they can't have a faction-free order.

The existence of the Cenarion Circle would seem to argue against your assertion...

Kenzuki
09-07-2007, 05:49 PM
The existence of the Cenarion Circle would seem to argue against your assertion...

Not to mention Ravenholdt.

Darkwind
09-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Not to mention Ravenholdt.

They really need to go back and make Ravenholdt a full fledged faction one day.

Yuber8900
09-08-2007, 01:56 AM
They really need to go back and make Ravenholdt a full fledged faction one day.

I demand Syndicate first.

Kerrah
09-08-2007, 04:32 AM

Druidism is something of a pacifistic thing, while Death Knight-ism on the other hand....

Kenzuki
09-08-2007, 05:33 AM
Druidism is something of a pacifistic thing, while Death Knight-ism on the other hand....

Pacifistic my rosey red ass....

Timolas
09-08-2007, 08:40 AM
We need Syndicate and Bloodsail Buccaneers rep fixed up real good.
Killing 10, 000 Ravenholdt bitches to hit neutral with the Syndicate and getting nothing out of it is insane.

Mage tried to hit neutral once, I saw his armoury profile. xD

Vicious
09-08-2007, 09:16 AM
We need Syndicate and Bloodsail Buccaneers rep fixed up real good.
Killing 10, 000 Ravenholdt bitches to hit neutral with the Syndicate and getting nothing out of it is insane.

They won´t, they stopped bothering with unfinished low level questlines much less fixing a entire faction, they probably just give the Wildhammer treatment and take them off the faction list.

Poor Silvermoon Remnants and Theramore....

Kenzuki
09-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Silvermoon Raiment and Theramore were supposed to be in a patch, they were even in the patch notes, but they never showed up lol.