PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: WoW as Wii U launch title

Omacron
03-20-2012, 12:03 AM
http://www.dualpixels.com/profiles/blogs/rumor-major-wii-u-eshop-games-leak-includes-world-of-warcraft-cou

Thoughts? I suppose a touchscreen would be a good way of replicating a keyboard. Better than a controller, I s'pose. I wonder if the Wii U will share servers with the PC?

HalfElfDragon
03-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Look at thiiiiiis...

Sa'danak
03-20-2012, 12:19 AM
Thoughts?
http://unplain.com/wp-content/uploads/gun-to-head.jpg

HalfElfDragon
03-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Putting WoW on the Wii U is a heavy risk...

Sa'danak
03-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Putting WoW on the Wii U is a heavy risk...
...but the prize?

Genesis
03-20-2012, 12:27 AM
...but the prize?There can be only one?

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2011/05/Highlander-Movie-Image.jpg

Arakiba
03-20-2012, 12:34 AM
I...what?

...what?

Seriously, what?

edit: Ok, reading through the list of games, that's a pretty serious lineup there.

Not...what'd I'd expect from Nintendo.

Ku'ja
03-20-2012, 02:19 AM
...but the prize?

Could be huge and it makes sense... This would surely bump up there numbers with WoW going more casual.

SmokeBlader
03-20-2012, 03:09 AM
http://files.sharenator.com/wtf_is_this_shit_the_post_of_reposts-s400x297-231018-580.jpg

Grunn
03-20-2012, 04:24 AM
Thoughts? I suppose a touchscreen would be a good way of replicating a keyboard. Better than a controller, I s'pose. I wonder if the Wii U will share servers with the PC?

I'd imagine that "touchers" are going to be even slower than than the keyboard turners and clickers, do not want.

Nazja
03-20-2012, 04:29 AM
I'd imagine that "touchers" are going to be even slower than than the keyboard turners and clickers, do not want.
wow will now be turn based! enjoy :D

Grunn
03-20-2012, 04:38 AM
wow will now be turn based! enjoy :D

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/126/314/3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

Nazja
03-20-2012, 04:42 AM
incoming suicide attempt
you should play Drakensang: The River of Time. Cool game, but not something I would like wow to turn into.

Lowtide
03-20-2012, 05:45 AM

They'll probably stick to Farmville and Pokemon in MoP.

I hope.

WAIT DoTA 2 for Wii U? Holy kamoly. That's not going to sell.

Lon-ami
03-20-2012, 08:28 AM
WAIT DoTA 2 for Wii U? Holy kamoly. That's not going to sell.

Wrong: that's going to ruin the game.

Look at Diablo 3, consolized over and over that gameplay and UIs have been badly affected.

Lowtide
03-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Wrong: that's going to ruin the game.

Look at Diablo 3, consolized over and over that gameplay and UIs have been badly affected.

They won't consolize DoTA 2. Unless they release two seperate versions.

Fojar
03-20-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't see why people are shocked Nintendo would go for this. They created Animal Crossing which honestly feels like a single player mini-MMO to me.

Magistrix Verdande
03-20-2012, 09:26 AM
I didn't even know this console existed.

Rotal
03-20-2012, 11:15 AM
WoW for consoles?
meh. could be worse.
WoW without a keyboard? USB Keyboard + Mouse bundle? If yes: hmk, don't care. If not....

http://www.quitor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/recamo-kadru-izlase-31.jpg

Omacron
03-20-2012, 11:32 AM
WoW for consoles?
meh. could be worse.
WoW without a keyboard? USB Keyboard + Mouse bundle? If yes: hmk, don't care. If not....

http://www.quitor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/recamo-kadru-izlase-31.jpg

The WiiU has a pretty unique controller. It's basically an iPad with analogue sticks and buttons on the sides. The screen could in theory have a keyboard on it.

Rotal
03-20-2012, 11:37 AM
yeah, but how big can that thing be? Also you'd have to tap the "buttons" instead of just resting your fingers comfortably on a keyboard. And holding it AND use the screen would be tiresome after some time as you're basically holding the console with only one hand the whole time. I don't see that happening, at least not in a way that makes sense pve/pvp wise.

Lowtide
03-20-2012, 11:42 AM
If they stick to the difficulty of the Dragonsoul LFR, you'll be able to raid succesfully with an Etch a Sketch.

HalfElfDragon
03-20-2012, 01:17 PM
If they stick to the difficulty of the Dragonsoul LFR, you'll be able to raid succesfully with an Etch a Sketch.

Etch-a-Sketches are difficult tool man.

Falarson
03-20-2012, 01:34 PM
I wonder if I need to buy another WoW account for playing to play it in that console...

AndyJP
03-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Nintendo created a console to rival PS3 and 360 and called it the "Wii U"? I think of Wii as the console for little kids or old folks, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Nintendo should have come up with a new name to escape that stigma.

Rotal
03-20-2012, 02:38 PM
You DO know that Nintendo is very comfortable with their image as it has elevated them to the top again? The Wii was a HUGE success.

AndyJP
03-20-2012, 06:31 PM
You DO know that

You DO know that this phrase makes everyone sound like a douche bag, right? :P

HalfElfDragon
03-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Nintendo created a console to rival PS3 and 360 and called it the "Wii U"? I think of Wii as the console for little kids or old folks, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Nintendo should have come up with a new name to escape that stigma.

Well, you're a stupid-face.

But, really, the Big N would have had to be stupid to not have Wii be part of the name after the incredible success of the first one.

AndyJP
03-20-2012, 08:09 PM
But, really, the Big N would have had to be stupid to not have Wii be part of the name after the incredible success of the first one.

I am pretty certain that the term "Nintendo" is more universal than "Wii". As I understand it, this is meant to be their effort to attract serious gamers. And there are more stupid-faces like myself who know Wii as the console with Mario, Zelda, Wii sports and nothing else. The name, logo, and design still look like something intended to cater to children.

GenyaArikado
03-20-2012, 08:14 PM
...they still are making more money than everybody else IIRC so...

HalfElfDragon
03-20-2012, 08:46 PM
I am pretty certain that the term "Nintendo" is more universal than "Wii". As I understand it, this is meant to be their effort to attract serious gamers. And there are more stupid-faces like myself who know Wii as the console with Mario, Zelda, Wii sports and nothing else. The name, logo, and design still look like something intended to cater to children.

By preserving the Wii name they're trying to entice the people who bought the Wii who aren't archetypal gamers into getting it too. That expanded audience is why the Wii was so successful and to many of them the name Wii is more enticing than Nintendo.

This is their attempt to get the serious gamers, yes, but they also want to keep the non-gamers.

Euphemialibritannia
03-22-2012, 04:24 PM

After the Wii Nintendo could care less about "mature" gamers(99% of which are just people who buy the same CoD year after year) when they make so much money off everyone else, including real serious gamers.

Rotal
03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
...who buy Mario every year.

Grunn
03-22-2012, 04:54 PM

no, no its totally different!

The Mario games tend to have bigger gaps between them...

Quaero
03-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Think of it this way, gaming savvy people will look at game play videos and overall make a deeper research over the product before making a decision regardless of what it's called. The more "casual" audience will simply bank on the franchise name with little to no actual research.

Saranus
03-22-2012, 05:36 PM
The Wii was aimed at the huge market of casual gamers. It was a staggering success in this regard, outselling the 360 and PS3. WoW also aims to please casual gamers and as the game continues to show its age relative to newer titles, putting it on the Wii U is a pretty savvy business decision. Of course, the hardcore market also buys Wii games and WoW, so they aren't alienating anyone by doing this.

I don't see what the big deal is. If you don't like the idea of playing it on the Wii U controller, don't. No one's stopping you from continuing to play it on PC.

Tauren Paly
03-22-2012, 06:02 PM
how you meant to play wow and have on the spot reaction to your buttons?

my action bar consists of like 17 most used and some extras for all other moves.

Omacron
03-22-2012, 06:05 PM
how you meant to play wow and have on the spot reaction to your buttons?

my action bar consists of like 17 most used and some extras for all other moves.

The WiiU controller is like an ipad. You can fill its touchscreen with buttons.

Al'Akir
03-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Wonder if they would put Wii U players on their own servers, or mix them into the general population...

Also, WoW is a big game. That's a metric fuckton of data that they would need to stick into a cartridge or onto a disk in order to play the game on a console.

Omacron
03-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Wonder if they would put Wii U players on their own servers, or mix them into the general population...

Also, WoW is a big game. That's a metric fuckton of data that they would need to stick into a cartridge or onto a disk in order to play the game on a console.

The game is actually supposedly a digital download on the Wii U

Sa'danak
03-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Oh, come on.

Are you really trying to say the difference between Mario 64 and Galaxy isn't any more pronounced then the difference between Cods? Sure its the same guy but the mechanics change massively between titles.
I'm a "serious" gamer and I consider the fact Nintendo doesn't have cod or halo or any of that rubbish a blessing. I still absolutely loathe the idea of Wow on anything other then a pc though, the thought of grouping with those people makes me sick...

Suzaku
03-23-2012, 01:45 AM
I have one problem with Nintendo: their consoles are basically just proprietary hardware for playing Nintendo games. Not a lot of notable third party exclusives.

Omacron
03-23-2012, 01:52 AM
I have one problem with Nintendo: their consoles are basically just proprietary hardware for playing Nintendo games. Not a lot of notable third party exclusives.

What do you call WoW?

AndyJP
03-23-2012, 02:37 AM
I looked more into it... there is nothing to interest me personally but thinking of my parents who like the Wii, they are absolutely going to be turned off by the hi-tech controller. It's much more complicated than swinging around a remote. I don't know how tech-savvy my parents are compared to the average population, but I can see them getting easily frustrated with this and it would not be the get-together hit that the Wii was.

The Wii was aimed at the huge market of casual gamers. It was a staggering success in this regard, outselling the 360 and PS3. WoW also aims to please casual gamers and as the game continues to show its age relative to newer titles, putting it on the Wii U is a pretty savvy business decision. Of course, the hardcore market also buys Wii games and WoW, so they aren't alienating anyone by doing this.

I don't see what the big deal is. If you don't like the idea of playing it on the Wii U controller, don't. No one's stopping you from continuing to play it on PC.

It doesn't make any difference to me, Saranus, I was just sharing an opinion.

Ku'ja
03-23-2012, 05:46 AM
The main reason this needs to happen ? The fact that it could lead to a Warcraft character being in the next Smash Bro's !! (let me dream..)

HalfElfDragon
03-23-2012, 09:29 AM
I looked more into it... there is nothing to interest me personally but thinking of my parents who like the Wii, they are absolutely going to be turned off by the hi-tech controller. It's much more complicated than swinging around a remote. I don't know how tech-savvy my parents are compared to the average population, but I can see them getting easily frustrated with this and it would not be the get-together hit that the Wii was.

The old WiiMote is still in use too. You can use the WiiMote or the New Controller. Or both, apparently, for some games.

Crazyterran
03-23-2012, 09:31 AM
The main reason this needs to happen ? The fact that it could lead to a Warcraft character being in the next Smash Bro's !! (let me dream..)

New Challengers Approach!

Thrall and Varian!

AndyJP
03-23-2012, 02:22 PM
The old WiiMote is still in use too. You can use the WiiMote or the New Controller. Or both, apparently, for some games.

Right but, when Wii sports and the like are the main draw, and they look the same on the Wii U... why upgrade?

Gadinhad
03-23-2012, 02:43 PM
The WiiU controller is like an ipad. You can fill its touchscreen with buttons.

That's terrible gameplay.

HalfElfDragon
03-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Right but, when Wii sports and the like are the main draw, and they look the same on the Wii U... why upgrade?

Why do hordes of people line-up for the new iPad?

Kellick
03-23-2012, 05:08 PM

Because it's an Apple product.

AndyJP
03-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Because they support inhumane chinese labor practices? I don't see the comparison. Someone that lines up to buy something certainly isn't a casual fan.

HalfElfDragon
03-23-2012, 05:43 PM
People like to upgrade nowadays. Its the reason Nintendo was able to push so many different incarnations of the DS.

AndyJP
03-23-2012, 05:47 PM
People like to upgrade nowadays. Its the reason Nintendo was able to push so many different incarnations of the DS.

I've never seen anyone over 30 carrying around a handheld game system. I'm pretty sure that the DS has not won over entire families like the Wii has.

MuffinMan
03-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Nintendo wants to win back actual gamers? Heh.

They can start with overthrowing Iwata and getting Yamauchi back.

Miyamoto needs to retire too, if things like Wii Music and Steel Diver are really all he can come up with now.

Oh, and fire whoever designed the latest batch of pokémon.

HalfElfDragon
03-27-2012, 04:25 PM
I reject the notion of there being 'real' or 'actual' gamers, as if fans of the Wii are somehow have a false claim to the title.

Oh, and fire whoever designed the latest batch of pokémon.

nope.avi

Gen V was pretty good. Not at Gen I or Gen II level, but certainly better than Gen III.

MuffinMan
03-28-2012, 11:34 AM
The Third Generation gave us pokémon based off of fighting roosters, the manliest bird of all.

First gave us orange Barney.

Fifth gave us a garbage can.

Crazyterran
03-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Anyone dissing on Charmander should be banned. He was for the pimps of Red / Blue.

"First two Gym Leaders use your opposite, when you have little Pokemon? No problem brah."

MuffinMan
03-28-2012, 01:12 PM
"Orange Barney" was aimed at Dragonite, not Charizard.

Omacron
03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Anyone dissing on Charmander should be banned. He was for the pimps of Red / Blue.

"First two Gym Leaders use your opposite, when you have little Pokemon? No problem brah."

It takes balls to scratch an Onyx to death. That's just what my charmeleon did.

Saranus
03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
It takes balls to scratch an Onyx to death. That's just what my charmeleon did.

and plenty of potions.