PDA

View Full Version : "Cycle of Hatred" Author Page & Excerpt

Warlock
01-01-2006, 10:02 PM
<A HREF="http://www.sff.net/people/krad/">Keith R.A. DeCandido</a>, author of the upcoming WarCraft novel: "Cycle of Hatred" has just added a new <A HREF="http://www.sff.net/people/krad/blizzard.htm">Blizzard Novels Page</a> to his website detailing both Cycle and his upcoming StarCraft novel, "Nova."

In addition to the page, he has also posted a <A HREF="http://www.sff.net/people/krad/wcexcerpt.htm">lengthy excerpt</a> from "Cycle of Hatred." Be sure to check it out.

Warlock
01-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Holy crap that is a long excert. I'm quite surprised. It has to be like half a chapter there. Or a whole one.

Book looks good though from the excerpt. It takes place between the Orc Campaign in Frozen Throne and WoW. Looks very interesting.

Yuber8900
01-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Who do you think the Patron is? Either a Black Dragon or Burning Legion Agent I'd say.

Warlock
01-02-2006, 01:40 AM
It's a demon. That's clearly Eredun he's speaking.

I got the distinct impression that it was someone important too. Honestly, the image forming in my mind is Kil'Jaeden. Which makes sense. Kil'Jaeden was the one responsible for finding the Orcs in the first place, and then later creating the Scourge. It's essentially his job to find minions to "sow chaos". Which seems to be exactly what's happening here.

Yuber8900
01-02-2006, 05:20 AM
And the necklece being a Burning Blade sorta helps your theory.

Ablamar
01-02-2006, 06:28 AM
I just read the description of the book on this site and I am not too happy about the glaring error on it. The author is constantly calling the Orcs Trolls. So I really hope that it is only a mistake on the page itself and not in the book. Thrall is being called a Troll that who leads a rebellion of Trolls against the Human bondage.

http://www.sff.net/people/krad/blizzard.htm

At the end of Warcraft 3 and Warcraft 3X, humans and trolls were allies on the continent of Kalimdor. But in World of Warcraft, the two sides are enemies again. My task with the novel Cycle of Hatred, to be released in February, was to help explain that change. It takes place during the four-year gap between the two games, and involves the humans on Kalimdor lead by Lady Jaina Proudmoore and the trolls on the same continent lead by Thrall. Of all the characters in the Warcraft universe, I found Jaina and Thrall to be two of the three most compelling characters. Jaina is a powerful female wizard, who is put in a position of leading a small group of humans in a hostile land in the wake of a brutal war against a demon horde. Thrall is a troll raised by humans as a slave, who leads a rebellion of trolls against human bondage, and inspires the trolls to return to their old ways before they were cursed by demons. Both leaders are trying to forge a new future, moving past the old hatreds. Unfortunately, the old hatreds don't die easily. (If you're wondering who the third character is, you'll have to read the book to find out -- the character is also in the book, but who it is is a surprise. *big grin*)

Kenzuki
01-02-2006, 07:46 AM
In the excript they are called orcs, so I doubt it's trolls in the book lol. God I can't wait for this book. And you know, it really shows how the humans of Theramore would feel toward the orcs. They seem to respect them for helping fight the demons, but at the same time they resent having to be stuck in some stinkin' marsh while the greenskins get all the good stuff.

Ersinus
01-02-2006, 03:35 PM
So the Demons are behind the hatred between Horde and Alliance, havent they got their lesson yet. They lost once in the war of the ancients, they lost their leader Sargeras in Azeroth, their attempt with the orcs failed, in the third war they lost 3 important demonlords(Archimonde, Tichondrius, Mannoroth), their attaempt with Scourge also failed and created a threat that can match their demon lords (the Lich King), and not to count how much their army's number get low. Kil'Jaeden better leave Azeroth and look for another planet to consume...

Yuber8900
01-02-2006, 04:08 PM
The Burning Legion's Numbers never grow low, they have more demons then could fit on Azeroth pilled high.

Ravenclaw2099
01-02-2006, 07:40 PM
And I wouldn't doubt it if Kil'Jaedan had already begun subjugating and destroying other worlds besides Azeroth. Given the massive size of their forces, I doubt the Legion is content with taking one world at a time.

Cantus
01-02-2006, 07:43 PM
While the story intrigues me, the writing seems a bit repetetive. Names are especially overused, as if the author was so busy with the plot he didn't take the same time or effort into the writing itself. Than again it may just be me.

Kenzuki
01-02-2006, 08:10 PM
So the Demons are behind the hatred between Horde and Alliance, havent they got their lesson yet. They lost once in the war of the ancients, they lost their leader Sargeras in Azeroth, their attempt with the orcs failed, in the third war they lost 3 important demonlords(Archimonde, Tichondrius, Mannoroth), their attaempt with Scourge also failed and created a threat that can match their demon lords (the Lich King), and not to count how much their army's number get low. Kil'Jaeden better leave Azeroth and look for another planet to consume...

They won't do that, they CAN'T do that. Azeroth is the ONLY world that has repelled the Burning Legion, not once, but on THREE assults they have repelled them. It means more to the Legion than simple conquest and destruction. Azeroth has hurt the PRIDE of the Lords of the Legion. Sargeras' spirit is still said to be lingering in the Abyss, somewhere, trying to find a way back in. I think Kil'jaeden realizes this and seeks to bring it about. Besides, why in the Nether would they give up on the greatest prize of all, The Well of Eternity? A source that would make them invincible!

Kakwakas
01-02-2006, 08:14 PM
. . .Besides, why in the Nether. . .

Hahaha!

Kenzuki
01-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Hahaha!

Yes, I'm very clever with teh puns lolz.

Yuber8900
01-03-2006, 01:04 AM
The Legion should just wait and see until the Scourge and the GG's fight then mob up the remaining fools.

But Kil'jaeden is an impatiant ass.

Ersinus
01-03-2006, 02:25 AM
why in the Nether would they give up on the greatest prize of all, The Well of Eternity? A source that would make them invincible!

There are plently worlds out there shaped by the Titans, with wells or other blessings... They can search for them. They are making Azeroth very personal, why I think is and will be the reason for their failures.

Vicious
01-03-2006, 03:58 AM
There are plently worlds out there shaped by the Titans, with wells or other blessings... They can search for them. They are making Azeroth very personal, why I think is and will be the reason for their failures.

If they didn´t there wouldn´t be more Warcraft now, amirite?

Kenzuki
01-03-2006, 08:14 AM

Exactly, Azeroth is personal now. They have not only defeated the Legion, they have hurt the Pride of the Legion! This cannot be stood for by the Demon Lords of the Legion. Thus, Azeroth must fall......at all costs.

Vicious
01-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Come to think of it, Sargeras, Tichondrius, Mannoroth and Archimonde were all killed in Azeroth, nice ass fuck to the whole Burning Crusade thing, huh?

Kenzuki
01-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Come to think of it, Sargeras, Tichondrius, Mannoroth and Archimonde were all killed in Azeroth, nice ass fuck to the whole Burning Crusade thing, huh?

With the Well of Eternity, a power source of unlimited magic, as the prize. What are these sacrifices really worth?

Yuber8900
01-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Don't forget all the Dreadlords that were lost, Varimathras is a traitor, Detheroc, Dalvengyr and Balnazzar are all dead. Well Bal will be dead when War4 comes out. What remains of the Legions presence in Azeroth is slowly being destroyed,

Vicious
01-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Don't forget all the Dreadlords that were lost, Varimathras is a traitor, Detheroc, Dalvengyr and Balnazzar are all dead. Well Bal will be dead when War4 comes out. What remains of the Legions presence in Azeroth is slowly being destroyed,

Actually i don´t think those Dread lords were that important, Varimathras in particular seemed mediocre in the campaign, another heavy loss is Anetheron though.

Ersinus
01-03-2006, 04:57 PM
I agree, except Balnazzar the rest in TFT were lesser Dread Lords who were trying to proove themselves by leading the scourge in plaguelands.

Warlock
01-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Kenzuki pointed this out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743471369/ref=ase_albeshilohinc/104-0496570-6399135?n=283155&tagActionCode=albeshilohinc

The Burning Legion has been defeated, and eastern regions of Kalimdor are now shared by two nations: the orcs of Durotar, led by their noble Warchief, Thrall; and the humans of Theramore, led by one of the most powerful mages alive -- Lady Jaina Proudmoore.

But the tentative peace between orcs and humans is suddenly crumbling. Random attacks against Durotar's holdings suggest that the humans have renewed their aggression toward the orcs. Now Jaina and Thrall must avert disaster before old hatreds are rekindled -- and Kalimdor is plunged into another devastating war.

Jaina's search to uncover the truth behind the attacks leads her to a shocking revelation. Her encounter with a legendary, long-lost wizard will challenge everything that she believes and illuminate the secret history of the world of...

Kenzuki and I have surmised that the long-lost wizard will either be Gandalf, Merlin, or Harry Potter (http://www.scrollsoflore.com/warlock/hpcoh.jpg).

Kenzuki
01-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Indeed, Jaina will learn to master three important skills in her mission to help save the world!

Gandalf: The ability to talk to MOTHS! This allows her to call the moths to eat the clothing of her enemies.

Merlin: Sword in the Stone. Makes all enemies weapons lung into the ground ,and no one but "The True King" can take them back.

Harry Potter: Dumb luck. This will insure that even if she makes a critical error, something in the story plot will twist in her favor!

Yuber8900
01-04-2006, 05:36 AM
Indeed, Jaina will learn to master three important skills in her mission to help save the world!

Gandalf: The ability to talk to MOTHS! This allows her to call the moths to eat the clothing of her enemies.

Merlin: Sword in the Stone. Makes all enemies weapons lung into the ground ,and no one but "The True King" can take them back.

Harry Potter: Dumb luck. This will insure that even if she makes a critical error, something in the story plot will twist in her favor!

Take that Squishies!

Take that Warriors!

Take that Rogues!

Vicious
01-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Dear god, i hope it´s Aegwynn.

Kenzuki
01-06-2006, 09:17 PM
what if it was Aegwynn......that would rock. she's like THE mostl egendary wizard, next to Medivh.