PDA

View Full Version : Old content: What would you update?

Lon-ami
11-20-2008, 05:30 AM
Imagine you just could update anything from Old Content. I don't mean you can just go and delete Zul'jin's butchering, but you could add more stuff around him to give lore, for example.

What I would do:

-Darion and second chance for Teron:

You all know there's a quest involving Teron, but when it ends he just runs to BT without further explanations.

I would make some quests involving his character. Darion and DKs from Acherus could be just searching info about the 1st DKs, and would investigate Teron and his goals. Then, the implemented quest, where you discover he's alive and all that stuff.

It would help us understand his choice. Illidan could be in contact with him without knowing his location or waiting players free him, who knows.

It would be perfect to give some action to Outland DKs, and try to fix the "2nd son in Outland" thing. Yeah, he's in Outland, but the sword is cleansed yet. It would just show he was truly at Outland, Fairbanks mustn't know he went to Outland leaving the sword cleansed... bueh, mindfuck. Just give him a ride around Outand.

Give your ideas for more stuff :P.

Drz
11-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Flying mounts avaiable in Azeroth.

Yep thats about it, if they can make a good story and reason to introduce more dungeons like Medivh's dungeon in Kalimdor, i'm up for it, but having it there just because it would *be* there would be a waste of time and effort.

Lon-ami
11-20-2008, 05:50 AM
I'm focusing in Old Content, meaning lower levels.

You know, they keep making content for the higher levels, but they totally forget about the lowbies.

Making a new character and doing all the same quests again is boring. Implementation on that would help a lot.

Flying mountains in Azeroth are a need, but I guess they won't be available until late late game.

Drz
11-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Making a new character and doing all the same quests again is boring. Implementation on that would help a lot.

No, because it would still be the same and Blizzard already solved the lowbie level problem: Reduce the XP required for leveling.

Still not happy? Well if Blizzard keeps their word, you can level thru Battlegrounds and PvP!!! ;))))

Timolas
11-20-2008, 06:06 AM
Open up the Karazhan Crypt, fill it with Dark Riders and resolve the Scythe of Elune questline to a certain extent. Not resolve it completely. Just progress it.

Leave it open ended, with the Scythe still lost, mystery floating around, but we finally understand what the hell the deal with the Dark Riders and the Scythe's origin were.

My only qualm would be that it would take a dump on the Rage.

Kenzuki
11-20-2008, 06:53 AM
I'de do something, but most likely it would get butchered by the likes of Jeff Kaplin and Bornakk.

Dark Avenger
11-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Definitely agree about Teron. A proper, thought-out story should have been made about why he suddenly decided to join up with Illidan.

Darkwind
11-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I'de do something, but most likely it would get butchered by the likes of Jeff Kaplin and Bornakk.

Ken, you do realize that Bornakk has nothing to do with development of the story or game, right? He's a community manager.

Kenzuki
11-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Ken, you do realize that Bornakk has nothing to do with development of the story or game, right? He's a community manager.

Thus, he is Kaplin's toady and the object of my ire. His hands are just as dirty.....just as dirty..

Vicious
11-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Thus, he is Kaplin's toady and the object of my ire. His hands are just as dirty.....just as dirty..

Things are getting way better though.

He´s trying to change for us man, think about that.

Kenzuki
11-20-2008, 10:48 AM
*coughs* Malygos turning into Deathwing 2.0 *coughs*

ARM3481
11-20-2008, 11:04 AM
*coughs* Malygos turning into Deathwing 2.0 *coughs*

Not entirely. We're all necessary casualties in Malygos' war; he's just indifferent to the cost in lives.

The whole thing's a bit different with Deathwing because he's made it all as much about personal vengeance on the mortals as about his plans to conquer the world. There's a lot more spite involved with him.

Deathwing actually hates everyone. Malygos just doesn't care.

LilMaibe
11-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Ken...it's Kaplan....

Kraven_Moorblood
11-20-2008, 11:27 AM
also, although I am not condoning Malygo's actions, his reasons for going "crazy" have a little bit more ground than Deathwing's whole genocide deal.

Peger
11-20-2008, 11:41 AM
It'd be nice if they finished Azshara. It's only been four years >.>

Bradford
11-20-2008, 11:48 AM

I am going to ignore any post you make that mentions Bornakk. Really starting to shove it down our throats.

For an Old Content change, I would put Kul'trias in game where it supposed to be. I think it would make a good 2nd starting zone for Humans. I love the feel of a port city that they gave to Villiance Keep and I would like to see more of that.

Lon-ami
11-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Those remakes, believe or not, have their part of success.

Look at 2.3's Dustwallow Marsh. It was a very good elaboration, IMO. It could have been even better, but it's better than nothing.

Another thing I'd do will be re-balance the ++++ instances. C'mon, no one will enter a 60+++++ instance having those lvl 62 instances. The loot is better in Outland.

Just make those 60++ into 74, for example, but keeping the old status, allowing lvl 60 players in. The result would be the same or, who know, a better one, but in this second case there would be a reward hat is worth the work.

Same for all the end-game content that is no longer end-game. Delete the gaps between the Kil'jaeden loot and the Shovel tusks' loot. Level 71 rewards are better than level 70++++ rewards, and that's unfair.

Zula
11-20-2008, 01:21 PM
What would like to be remade?
Well:
1: Tanaris, feels kinda incomplete, the wastewander bandits, Uldum, those ogres no explanation given for those.
2: Deadwind pass and duskwood mainly the scythe of elune stuff.
3: I know its imposible but I have to say it, Zul'aman, I really think I don't have to say why I would like to see Zul'aman remade.

RobLore
11-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Same for all the end-game content that is no longer end-game. Delete the gaps between the Kil'jaeden loot and the Shovel tusks' loot. Level 71 rewards are better than level 70++++ rewards, and that's unfair.

Wrong.

Sunwell/T6 lasts untill into Naxxramas.

I was only Kara geared and has still not replaced more then 1-2 items.'

I would like them to fix dead zones.

1. Winterspring - there are too little quests here. Make a new quest hub in the south.

2. Aszhara - lots of potential. Add Nendis and expand Timermaw Hold then you get an awesome zone. Plus that underwater demonic portal from beta should also exist as a micro-dungeon.

3. Felwood. To little quests. Make a Horde quest hub in the north or expand Timbermaw Hold. The Alliance could have a quest hub in the south.

4. Stonetalon. Too little quests, especially for Alliance! Add the Oracle caverns and western Stonetalon and you get a nice quest hub if you dont like Manriks wife.
Add the Pandaren settlement as a quest-hub.

5. Feralas. Horde needs a little bit more quests. Not very important though.

6. Western Plaguelands. To little quests - atleast for Horde. Add a new quest hub - perhaps some renegade Scarlets?

7. Alterac Mountains - Make Strahnbrad a alliance town and the Forsaken capture a small part of Alterac.
Desperatly needs more quests. Add a wast cavern system to make it bigger.

8. Burning Steppes - to little quests. Add a Horde quest hub. Perhaps a small alliance camp too in the west.

9.Blasted Lands. Expand Nethergarde and create a Horde quest hub.
Alternativly the camp outside the Dark Portal could be remaked into a major quest-hub.

Drz
11-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Those remakes, believe or not, have their part of success.

If they are necessary, yes.

Look at 2.3's Dustwallow Marsh. It was a very good elaboration, IMO. It could have been even better, but it's better than nothing.

Dustwallow Marsh was required due to the lack of quests from 27+ to close to 40.

Another thing I'd do will be re-balance the ++++ instances. C'mon, no one will enter a 60+++++ instance having those lvl 62 instances. The loot is better in Outland.

- Archievement
- Helping friends
- Baron Mount
- Jenkins Archievement

Theres all kinds of stuff that makes the classic instanced still instanced, making them lvl 80 content is just lazy.

Just make those 60++ into 74, for example, but keeping the old status, allowing lvl 60 players in. The result would be the same or, who know, a better one, but in this second case there would be a reward hat is worth the work.

Wouldn't that just be boring to do the same thing you did at 60 to do again in 74? ;/

Do you actually play this game or do you just make loads of bullshit up?

LordArreat15
11-20-2008, 07:57 PM
I would like to see the centaurs return with the Pariah, Amulet of Union, and Zaetar hope for his children. Terramok with more Twilight Hammer activity. Princess Moira Bronzebeard and her son I would like to see what has happen since the events of Blackrock and if the dwarves are preparing a new war is brewing or them finally achieve peace with the clans. Magni is likely reaching his time, Brann reappears with Muradin alive in Storm Pecks with having a reunion taking some of heavy burdens off his back. Then there Thargas Anvilmar in my option to be the second High Thane of the Dwarves since he related to the first thane Magni old, Muradin a ruler of the Frostborn, Brann is a explorer so the throne not his thing, Magni heir being half Bronzebeard and Thaurissan might make him untrustworthy candidate being raised around Dark Irons or be the one to end the war.

As for the Scythe of Elune there is a quest that might be related to it is Local Support and Close the Deal in Grizzly Hills. A box of that holds some relic was been taken by the Horde from a trapper, when completed Ivan says
You did it! You recovered the Sc... you recovered the chest that the Horde stole from us. We thank you, <name>.
With worgen and Arugal activity in the Grizzly Hills it would make sense and bring up questions on the scythe's storyline.

ARM3481
11-20-2008, 09:12 PM
As for the Scythe of Elune there is a quest that might be related to it is Local Support and Close the Deal in Grizzly Hills. A box of that holds some relic was been taken by the Horde from a trapper, when completed Ivan says
You did it! You recovered the Sc... you recovered the chest that the Horde stole from us. We thank you, <name>.
With worgen and Arugal activity in the Grizzly Hills it would make sense and bring up questions on the scythe's storyline.

Definitely possible, though Grizzly Hills seems to otherwise hinge entirely on the concept of humans who've been cursed into becoming Worgen, rather than actual otherworldly ones like those in Duskwood.

Of course, the NPC who helps finish off Arugal does say that "We got him good, but not good enough. One thing's for sure...we won't be seeing him around these parts any longer."

Not exactly a certificate of permanent death there, and it's never really, solidly shown durng the questline just why the Scourge revived Arugal, just that they did. Far as I can tell, he isn't really doing anything remarkably special with his Worgen that the Scourge couldn't have managed themselves: corrupting willing mortal converts and having his minions murder the rest. And the whole chain does end a little abruptly after all the build-up.

Who knows? Maybe we'll be seeing a Worgen-themed wing of the Icecrown Citadel and a continuation of Arugal's tale. Maybe we'll even run into some undead Worgen one of these days, as most every other mortal race that the Lich King has gathered under his banner has had many of its slain warriors reanimated to serve the Scourge after death.

In many ways the Scythe's even more interesting that Arugal's portion of the Worgen stories. We know who Arugal was, why he did what he did and the results. The Scythe remains riddled with unanswered questions from the very start, as its origins suggest that either Elune gave one of her priestesses the means of unleashing a terrible evil upon the world (an unlikely thing for Elune to knowingly do), or someone else did and made it appear that Elune was behind it. Yet we lack names of any sort. Everyone involved in the story is either a hapless victim or seems to be a sinister latecomer seeking the Scythe for their own personal gain. To this day it remains unsaid why the thing even came into Azeroth to begin with, and at whose whim it was sent.

Timolas
11-21-2008, 06:29 AM
And that is why the Scythe of Elune remains one of the best and most mysterious questlines in all of the lore to date.

It's not like we even see any of those prominent Dark Riders in Duskwood. I don't know; somehow it makes it feel even more creepy. To think there's some dark army out there sniffing around and you don't know where they are.

But of course now that we know they aren't in Karazhan it just looks like they forgot them instead, which is hardly creepy.

Lon-ami
11-21-2008, 08:33 AM
The only proof of the Dark Knights are the quests.

They left no proof after their visit.

PS: Making Sunwell while you can be in Northrend is stupid, at least with the current status. It's easier to get loot even better than Sunwell's in easy parts of Northrend. TBC was hell lame at that, and it seems Northend, although less, keeps being the same.

Cantus
11-21-2008, 08:50 AM
To this day it remains unsaid why the thing even came into Azeroth to begin with, and at whose whim it was sent.

Supposedly the Scythe came to a Night Elf who needed help during the second Legion invasion. She called for assistance from Elune and it fell before her. There's very small quest area between Felwood and Ashenvale where you learn the origin of the Scythe, but there's still no idea whatsoever on who sent it or what their true motives were.

Lon-ami
11-21-2008, 08:52 AM
What if Worgen are from one of Azeroth's moons, and what if Elune lives there too?

Worgen, were-wolves, fit with moons, and so does Elune.

Warlock
11-21-2008, 09:28 AM

I didn't replace anything until level 76 - and that's in mainly Kara/Badge gear.

What if Worgen are from one of Azeroth's moons, and what if Elune lives there too?

Worgen, were-wolves, fit with moons, and so does Elune.

Worgen stole Azeroth's 2nd moon (http://www.wowwiki.com/Blue_Child)!!!!! It explains everything!

Gurtogg_Bloodboil
11-21-2008, 09:57 AM
It would be perfect to give some action to Outland DKs, and try to fix the "2nd son in Outland" thing. Yeah, he's in Outland, but the sword is cleansed yet. It would just show he was truly at Outland, Fairbanks mustn't know he went to Outland leaving the sword cleansed... bueh, mindfuck. Just give him a ride around Outand.

Just give up the “2nd son in Outland” thing. It didn’t happen, the sword never got into players hands.

Do you actually play this game or do you just make loads of bullshit up?

QFT.

Lon-ami
11-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Then I'm wrong, just pardon me.

Giving up each time they delete something? Never. Anyway, they never said the sword didn't get into your hands. You can't get it now.

And yes, I play it... sometimes, not too much, really. Lack of time, uh, and friend's account, in C'Thun and Tyrande, but in english, so don't play as you were checking what I do 24h.

Gurtogg_Bloodboil
11-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Giving up each time they delete something? Never. Anyway, they never said the sword didn't get into your hands. You can't get it now.

Blizz pretty much already spoiled the Ashbringer comic in their questlines. Darion is going to get the Ashbringer from his father and plunge it into his own heart to set his father's spirit free. That makes him a deathknight, and he keeps the sword because we see him with it at the start of the game.

Lon-ami
11-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Blizz pretty much already spoiled the Ashbringer comic in their questlines. Darion is going to get the Ashbringer from his father and plunge it into his own heart to set his father's spirit free. That makes him a deathknight, and he keeps the sword because we see him with it at the start of the game.

Comic still not released, it could change... again -_-.

Gurtogg_Bloodboil
11-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Don't count on it.

ARM3481
11-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Supposedly the Scythe came to a Night Elf who needed help during the second Legion invasion. She called for assistance from Elune and it fell before her. There's very small quest area between Felwood and Ashenvale where you learn the origin of the Scythe, but there's still no idea whatsoever on who sent it or what their true motives were.

Exactly. The only source of origin we have came through the filter of the priestess, who thought it was a gift of Elune. But that belief loses its credence through the story when it becomes clear that the thing's basically a tool for bringing uncontrollable creatures into Azeroth that are violently dangerous to the point that even the RPG suggests that the Worgen don't usually even kill to eat; they just seem to enjoy tearing other living things apart.

Of course, to this day it also remains a mystery just how sapient the Worgen really are. They behave like rampaging animals most of the time, but conversely, as they began to get out of control in Ashenvale they were displaying a creepily unsettling level of conniving intent and self-awareness as they started bringing more of their kind to Azeroth without prompting from the Scythe's bearer, as if they had plans of their own and were bulking up their numbers in order to prepare for something.

Then there's also the possibility that there are no true, "always been this way" Worgen anyway. That even the summoned ones used to be something else on their homeworld long ago, and the curse in Pyrewood and Grizzly Hills might be the very same affliction that birthed the entire race in the first place before they came to Azeroth, and Arugal could have been a pawn meant to spread the same curse across the face of another world on behalf of some greater power originating in the place where the Worgen came from.

Gurtogg_Bloodboil
11-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Then there's also the possibility that there are no true, "always been this way" Worgen anyway. That even the summoned ones used to be something else on their homeworld long ago, and the curse in Pyrewood and Grizzly Hills might be the very same affliction that birthed the entire race in the first place before they came to Azeroth, and Arugal could have been a pawn meant to spread the same curse across the face of another world on behalf of some greater power originating in the place where the Worgen came from.

The Worgen curse could have been like the Undead Scourge, originally intended as a way to destroy the defenders of a world to make way for a Legion invasion.

ARM3481
11-21-2008, 10:34 AM
The Worgen curse could have been like the Undead Scourge, originally intended as a way to destroy the defenders of a world to make way for a Legion invasion.

Or perhaps even some world's desperate measure to create an army against the Legion that went horribly wrong.

Lon-ami
11-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Or perhaps even some world's desperate measure to create an army against the Legion that went horribly wrong.

That has more sense than you think.

I love the idea of moon-worgens :P.

Kerrah
11-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't want Blizz to explain the Scythe. I'm going to do that and they need not bother.

(free advertisement yay)

Roderich
11-21-2008, 12:29 PM
More participation for Cairne, Baine, Vol'jin, the Grimtotem line, Fandral Staghelm, Tyrande, the Gnomeregan Exiles.

mavfin
11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Funny that you mention the Scythe...

It's in Northrend now. You run into it on a quest, and right after, there's the worgen, and as it turns out, the Shade of Arugal is in Grizzly Hills, too...

You go get a chest for some 'trappers', and when you give the chest back to them, he says something about the 'Sc--' and covers it up. Right after that you find out the trappers are really Worgen.

ARM3481
11-26-2008, 06:43 PM
You go get a chest for some 'trappers', and when you give the chest back to them, he says something about the 'Sc--' and covers it up. Right after that you find out the trappers are really Worgen.

Possibly a different group of trappers, though. The ones you turn in the chest to don't turn hostile, even after the Worgen presence is uncovered. So they might feasibly be some of the few who've avoided Arugal's followers and resisted being cursed.

Whatever the case, the Scythe is pretty minimally referenced. The focus in Grizzly Hills seems to be Arugal's Worgen-cursed human converts, rather than the summoned Worgen like those in Ashenvale and Duskwood. And it's still unknown why Arthas thinks he needs Arugal's Worgen to conquer the place instead of just using his own ready supply of undead, especially given the minimal level of organized resistance in most of the zone.

handclaw
11-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Whatever the case, the Scythe is pretty minimally referenced. The focus in Grizzly Hills seems to be Arugal's Worgen-cursed human converts, rather than the summoned Worgen like those in Ashenvale and Duskwood. And it's still unknown why Arthas thinks he needs Arugal's Worgen to conquer the place instead of just using his own ready supply of undead, especially given the minimal level of organized resistance in most of the zone.

I suppose that it is a little remnant of an earlier idea for the vrykul... You see, the vrykul went through several stages where they were first vampire vikings, then werewolf vikings and also once vampire werewolf vikings.... So Arugal would have been the reason for that. Something along this line was mentioned in the Behind the Scenes DVD at least. ^^

Omacron
11-26-2008, 10:15 PM
I was wondering why there was no vampirism going on with the Vrykul.

Drz
11-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Funny that you mention the Scythe...

It's in Northrend now. You run into it on a quest, and right after, there's the worgen, and as it turns out, the Shade of Arugal is in Grizzly Hills, too...

See its good that follow the storyline and don't need to update the old content for it, i mean even updating the old content could just increase lowbie ganking and whatnot..

Now if they just made the world more flying-mount friendly. :p

Vineyard
11-27-2008, 03:55 AM
http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Close_the_Deal

It's this quest. I totally overread this when I finished this quest last weeks, probatly because it wasn't so obvious in the german translation. Thank you for mentioning it.

So it seems they didn't forget about the Scythe and it's now in the hands of Arugal's Worgen.

But even without the Scythe, the Questline was really well done. And Arugal might appear again in the future...

Timolas
11-27-2008, 06:08 AM
The Scythe Bearer went north?

Kerrah will be pissed.

Kerrah
11-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Doesn't matter. Arugal doesn't get buttraped, I mean resurrected, in Kerrah-verse.

Timolas
11-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Doesn't matter. Arugal doesn't get buttraped, I mean resurrected, in Kerrah-verse.

Use caution when pooping on canon. While I support the verse, I just feel it shouldn't drift too far. Then it wouldn't be Warcraft anymore. Or at least not if it becomes an important plot.

Lon-ami
11-27-2008, 10:46 AM
I keep believing Worgen come from the White Lady!

Scythe must have fallen from there into Azeroth :P.

Omacron
11-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Personally, I feel if they just had Arugal, living or dead, wield the scythe, we could really just fix this whole mess.

Phyrez
11-28-2008, 11:28 PM
The Dark Riders were linked to Morbent Fel at Raven Hill Cemitary aswell

Upon returning to Sven with Jitters complete journal, Sven says:
"This journal explains much to me, and sets me on the path against the dark riders! I have seen these riders in Duskwood, and have seen them speak with the wizard Morbent Fel, at the Forlorn Rowe."

And according to wowwiki

"In Warcraft III, along with Ras Frostwhisper and Araj the Summoner, Morbent Fell is one of the randomly generated names for the hero unit Lich."

I know it may seem off topic but maybe they are the same person, we just got to kill Morbent before he went lich on us, linking the riders possibly to the Scourge.

If they were looking for the Scythe then one would guess they know its link to the Worgan. The scourge resurected Agrul because of this link to worgan.

As some one said earlier, the Scourge want the Worgan.

Lord of Azeroth
11-29-2008, 02:16 AM
The Dark Riders were linked to Morbent Fel at Raven Hill Cemitary aswell

Upon returning to Sven with Jitters complete journal, Sven says:
"This journal explains much to me, and sets me on the path against the dark riders! I have seen these riders in Duskwood, and have seen them speak with the wizard Morbent Fel, at the Forlorn Rowe."

And according to wowwiki

"In Warcraft III, along with Ras Frostwhisper and Araj the Summoner, Morbent Fell is one of the randomly generated names for the hero unit Lich."

I know it may seem off topic but maybe they are the same person, we just got to kill Morbent before he went lich on us, linking the riders possibly to the Scourge.

If they were looking for the Scythe then one would guess they know its link to the Worgan. The scourge resurected Agrul because of this link to worgan.

As some one said earlier, the Scourge want the Worgan.

And there are Dark Riders in the Scarlet Enclave...

Timolas
11-29-2008, 06:00 AM
There could be a link between the Scythe and the Scourge.
I remember those Dark Riders. They even used the Death Knight/Attumen model. I was hoping it was a coincedence. Maybe it was.

As for Morbent Fel and a random Lich name in Warcraft 3; there is absolutely no link. The link I do see is the possibility that Arthas' desire to have an undead Arugal also had something to do with the Scythe, which is apparently in the hands of either the Wolfcult or the trappers.

Zula
11-29-2008, 03:19 PM
There could be a link between the Scythe and the Scourge.
I remember those Dark Riders. They even used the Death Knight/Attumen model. I was hoping it was a coincedence. Maybe it was.

As for Morbent Fel and a random Lich name in Warcraft 3; there is absolutely no link. The link I do see is the possibility that Arthas' desire to have an undead Arugal also had something to do with the Scythe, which is apparently in the hands of either the Wolfcult or the trappers.

I posted here some time ago a theory that the darkriders were indeed Scourge agents.

Omacron
11-29-2008, 05:06 PM
I thought that was a given. Why else would they spread Undeath to southern Azeroth?

Dark Avenger
11-29-2008, 05:23 PM
At a risk of sounding as though I'm jumping on trends, I also thought the Dark Riders were agents of the Scourge.

Zula
11-29-2008, 05:41 PM
I thought that was a given. Why else would they spread Undeath to southern Azeroth?

Exactly Omacron , the thing is what is exactly Arthas planning to do if he gets the Scythe? Summon an army of Worgen? or something much more dangerous..

Fordragon
11-29-2008, 06:05 PM
I'd like to see them phase the starter zones. Specifically Westfall, Redridge, Dun Morogh, Wetlands, Silverpine, Durotar, and the pair each for new races. The rest I'm not really sure what you would change. For example, in Westfall, the Defias are out and there's farmers and such who have retaken some of their farms. Retag <The People's Militia> as <Westfall Brigade>. The Trolls could build a town in the Echo Isles, maybe houses on stilts strung together with bridges.

I think it would be cool to go back to starter zones after all this time we've been away and see that what we've done has had a positive effect.

Lon-ami
11-30-2008, 05:42 AM
Fordragon, that's cool, and things like that happen actually in Northrend...

Anyway, I don't know what level of repercussion it has. Imagine going with a friend who hasn't completed the quests.

About the Scythe...

I sense them more as Burning Legion agents. Undead Burning Legion agents, exactly.

Anyway, Morbent Fel doesn't seem to be allied with the Scourge, nor the riders.

It would be cool to discover he's truly that lich from TFT. Best point is that it makes a lot of sense.

Uh, and Arugal is an enemy of the Scourge. I guess the San'layn resurrected him to play with the worgen.

But, who is Arugal's master? That's another amazing point here.

RobLore
11-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Perhaps Elune? :P
Nah, just kidding.

Anyway, I do agree that the Dark Riders most likely are aligined (spelling?) with the Scourge and tried to spread undeath to the south AND find the Scythe.'

edit: Yay, Priestess of the Moon ^^

"Only the Goddess can forbid me anything!"

Kerrah
11-30-2008, 08:55 AM

The Lich King doesn't have the monopoly of undeath.

Lon-ami
11-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Oh my goddess! Elune has gone insane!

Inside the White Citadel, the goddess of the night plots... and waits.

Inside her head, a lone goal: to set Azeroth in the darkest night... for all the eternity!

Armies of creatures of darkness, summoned from the moon, assault the world. Worgens and their curse are only the first step to complete domination.

Cause, in the end, all must howl... to the one, true, White Lady.

PS: Also, seriously now, supporting the "Dark Riders server the Legion" theory, you should notice that Velinde received the Scythe to fight the Legion at Felwood, and that Arugal summoned the Worgen during the 3rd War, when the Scourge was a pawn of the Burning Legion.

Gurtogg_Bloodboil
11-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Anyway, I don't know what level of repercussion it has. Imagine going with a friend who hasn't completed the quests.

I agree. While the idea of phasing is cool, its overuse can be extremely annoying in group play. For example, Icecrown is literally full of phased zones and it makes playing with others a probelm. Your friends can't help you with group quests because they're in a different phase, you can't interact with others in different phases at all, an ore node will just disappear under your feet because someone in a dif phase stole it, etc.

mavfin
12-01-2008, 07:14 PM
I agree. While the idea of phasing is cool, its overuse can be extremely annoying in group play. For example, Icecrown is literally full of phased zones and it makes playing with others a probelm. Your friends can't help you with group quests because they're in a different phase, you can't interact with others in different phases at all, an ore node will just disappear under your feet because someone in a dif phase stole it, etc.

Well, you can't say they stole it, since they didn't even know you were around. As I understand it, they're only doing this in Sholazar and Icecrown (and the DK starter quests), correct?

Yuber8900
12-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Well, you can't say they stole it, since they didn't even know you were around. As I understand it, they're only doing this in Sholazar and Icecrown (and the DK starter quests), correct?

Dragonblight and a few times in Storm peaks as well.

It would be more annoying to me if I wasn't able to solo everything and had a trade skill that didn't have nodes every five seconds of flying though.

mavfin
12-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Dragonblight and a few times in Storm peaks as well.

It would be more annoying to me if I wasn't able to solo everything and had a trade skill that didn't have nodes every five seconds of flying though.

The only part of Dragonblight I saw phased was around Wrathgate, though. Did I miss some?

RobLore
12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Personally - I think that phasing should me MORE used in other Northrend zones.

Taunka'le village for example. They say the Taunka are evacutated (sorry, I cant spell that but you know what I mean - im only 13 and in the 7th grade ;P ) but yet all Taunka are still there and there are little signs of them evacuating (except the Taunka refugee camp and that there comes Taunka soldiers to Agmars Hammer later).

I would like to Taunka'le be overrun by Nerubians are fallen down in a huge sinkhole. Btw, did you know that Arthas ventured to Northrend during the winter? And that there was once snow all over Borean Tundra. Or so the quests says.
A taunka lady says some like:
"There was a time when I could walk across the Tundra and I would see only snow as far as my eyes could see".

But seriously... Bridge in Redridge and roof in Westfall anyone?

ARM3481
12-02-2008, 03:38 AM
It's rather telling that places like Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra, which we were shown pre-release content from first, are comparatively rather devoid of the phasing, while it becomes far more common later on in the Storm Peaks and Icecrown especially. The earlier zones were probably much farther along in development when they started playing around with and coding the phasing capabilities, and it was decided to leave those places alone rather than turn around and try revamping the entire early content of Northrend when they were already moving on to establishing the content in the higher-leveled areas.

"Lasting" changes start out simple, like in Grizzly Hills where a certain event changes the hostilities of a number of NPC's, and by the time one reaches Storm Peaks and Icecrown, entire landscapes of the zone are replaced by the aftermath of the player's actions.

In a way the phasing's still early in development and concept, but I'm caused to wonder with great interest what they'll do with Icecrown Citadel. As of now it's literally a ghost town; nothing even remotely defends the place. Every one of the other gates around the zone is crawling with masses of lumbering undead, but the Citadel itself is host to completely empty ramparts, with nary a cultist, skeleton or ghoul to be seen, and a number of multiple structures that could turn out to be potential entrances (perhaps to multiple wings or even more than one completely seperate instance within. Perhaps a 5-man dungeon or two as entry level to the endgame, culminating in the 10/25-man raid at the highest levels of the structure). Might be interesting if they script an eventual downfall of each Scourge gate through phasing by the undead being ousted and replaced by various faction NPC's, and the Scourge's armies gradually falling back and amassing at the Citadel itself, manning its battlements as they brace for the final assault by the living.

Lon-ami
12-02-2008, 04:33 AM
Phasing is still on development, but I suppose they could make it to pahse everything in WoW.

Now, we complain about a lowbie unable to being help killing someone we killed long ago and that doesn't reappear for us.

Improvement on phasing would fic that for sure. Just need to improve it when players of different phase-states join the some group.

Phasing, well used, would give a lot of life to the game.