PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Starts April Fools Early

Warlock
03-31-2006, 01:24 PM
I guess with all the Korean April Fools posts already, Blizzard decided to just post the US stuff today. The first is of course, <A HREF="http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/townhall/wisps.html">Wisps</a>, this time in English :)

The second is <A HREF="http://www.blizzard.com/press/060401.shtml">BurgerCraft</a>, a Blizzard-themed restaurant. (The best part is the "Moonfire Spam" :D)

Great stuff!

Tysar
03-31-2006, 01:35 PM
the picture of that waiter is priceless :)

Cantus
03-31-2006, 01:51 PM
The worst part of all this is that people on the U.S. forums will still think it's March 31...so there will be at least 20 threads spouting "It's not april 1 yet, new race = wisps wtfomgbbq!"

Tysar
03-31-2006, 02:05 PM
so true.. technically when I was reading this first it wasn't aprilfools for me either, just gone midnight six minutes ago :D

edit: omg.. look at the first non-sticky threads :sweatdrop
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.aspx?fn=wow-general

edit 2: man, I seriuously thought that when you said "20 threads" you were sarcastic, but they're multiplying every damn second! Amazing... :P

Warlock
03-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Yeah it's crazy. Though I suspect some of them are just retards who know it's fake, posting extreme reactions as a joke.

Tysar
03-31-2006, 02:40 PM
just found this (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraftexp1/news.html?sid=6146909) article on gamespot. It doesn't really look like a joke to me, some interestin info and new images. Two new zones(Nagrand, Terokkar forest)?

Cantus
03-31-2006, 04:32 PM
I don't know, a forest on Draenor...that's kind of rare.

Warlock
03-31-2006, 04:46 PM
Interesting, it looks real. I'll have to check it out.

Cantus
03-31-2006, 04:55 PM
I just found Caydiem's contribution to April 1...
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-dungeons&t=433375&s=blizzard&tmp=1#blizzard

Tysar
04-01-2006, 03:20 AM
another gamespot article, though this DOES look like an april fools joke :)
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofstarcraft/news.html?sid=6146918

"And for those marathon stretches you'll doubtlessly end up spending with the game, Blizzard's got you covered with a full-on integration with its newly-announced BurgerCraft franchise. By typing /burger at any point in the game, you'll gain access to a highly integrated menu, allowing you to special-order fast food, delivered straight to your home. Since Blizzard's got your account data, charges will be transparently applied, seamlessly integrating the fast-food-buying experience straight into the game."

Vicious
04-01-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't know, a forest on Draenor...that's kind of rare.

Acording to Shadows and Light, those were made by traveling druids who tried to heal the land.

Cantus
04-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Acording to Shadows and Light, those were made by traveling druids who tried to heal the land.

I always forget about that...

Tysar
04-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Can you give some more info on the druids? When did they go through the DP to Draenor? Who were they? No random guy on Azeroth can just say "ah well, I guess I'll go to Draenor, make some trees over the weekend, and be back at Stormwind for the BBQ with Thorsten on Monday" so I'm just wondering. I'm not a proud owner of any of the RPG books so I have no reliable source of info...

Wulfang
04-03-2006, 12:59 PM
I think the druids who created those forests may have been part of Maiev's Wachers.

And the Dark Portal isn't the only way of entering Outland. In the RPG books, a high-level arcanist can open gates to other planes, like the Twisting Nether. From there, they could just make their way to Outland...

Warlock
04-03-2006, 01:40 PM
I think the druids who created those forests may have been part of Maiev's Wachers.

And the Dark Portal isn't the only way of entering Outland. In the RPG books, a high-level arcanist can open gates to other planes, like the Twisting Nether. From there, they could just make their way to Outland...

It is now. Illidan sealed all portals to Outland. No one can get in or out without opening up that portal. The RPG books are generally set in a timeframe earlier than WoW too, except for a few of the new ones. But even then they allow some extra leniency in that regard for gameplay purposes (DM wants to take his party to Outland, he should have a way to do it).

Tysar
04-03-2006, 01:54 PM
but did you see how easy it was for Illidan to open up a random portal to Outland at the end of the WC3 NE campaign after he and Malfurion saved Tyrande?

I guess I completely forgot about Maiev's watchers. Perhaps a small number of druids passed through the portal with her as an oportunity to do some healing (although imo they'd probably be busy healing Ashenvale), or perhaps it's some surviving druids from Maiev's forces.

Warlock
04-03-2006, 02:01 PM
but did you see how easy it was for Illidan to open up a random portal to Outland at the end of the WC3 NE campaign after he and Malfurion saved Tyrande?

I guess I completely forgot about Maiev's watchers. Perhaps a small number of druids passed through the portal with her as an oportunity to do some healing (although imo they'd probably be busy healing Ashenvale), or perhaps it's some surviving druids from Maiev's forces.

No, that was before. It was open because of Kel'Thuzad's spell which re-connected the worlds. After all the events of the Frozen Throne, Illidan went around and closed up every portal to Outland. You cannot currently get there without re-opening one of these portals, the Dark Portal being probably the easiest (but not easy!) to re-open.

Tysar
04-03-2006, 02:06 PM
That's not the one I meant:D I'm talking about the portal Illidan himself used, not the one Kael and Vashj used. The last mission in the NE campaign gets Illidan and Malfurion allied to save Tyrande form the undead. At the end, when she's saved, Illidan says that by helping him (Malfurion) he betrayed his new master. Then He creates a circular portal in and runs into it, pursued by Maiev. I'll go get some screenies:D

Warlock
04-03-2006, 02:24 PM
That's not the one I meant:D I'm talking about the portal Illidan himself used, not the one Kael and Vashj used. The last mission in the NE campaign gets Illidan and Malfurion allied to save Tyrande form the undead. At the end, when she's saved, Illidan says that by helping him (Malfurion) he betrayed his new master. Then He creates a circular portal in and runs into it, pursued by Maiev. I'll go get some screenies:D

I know exactly what you meant. What I said still stands.

Vicious
04-03-2006, 02:26 PM
We´re talking about Illidan here, transformed into a Skull Demon, most of the people in here underestimates this guy power for some reason.
And since he´s not greater demon (Like Archimonde or Kil´jaeden), i´m not surprised he could make a small portal for himself.

Tysar
04-04-2006, 10:23 AM
I know exactly what you meant. What I said still stands.

I'm confused now... Your statement doesn't fit, because Illidan created that portal in front of our eyes in that cutscene, it appeared, he went through, Maiev followed with her watchers, it disappeared.

I though Archimonde was summoned by Kel'Thuzad through the new portal in Dalaran, the second "big portal" on Azeroth. I do understand it is sealed by now along with the DP. Which we shall reopen soon :vile:

I this is indeed what you meant, sorry for the misunderstanding. I just want to make sure we talk about the same thing. :D

Warlock
04-04-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm confused now... Your statement doesn't fit, because Illidan created that portal in front of our eyes in that cutscene, it appeared, he went through, Maiev followed with her watchers, it disappeared.

I though Archimonde was summoned by Kel'Thuzad through the new portal in Dalaran, the second "big portal" on Azeroth. I do understand it is sealed by now along with the DP. Which we shall reopen soon :vile:

I this is indeed what you meant, sorry for the misunderstanding. I just want to make sure we talk about the same thing. :D

When Kel'Thuzad opened the portal in Dalaran, it effectively reconnected Azeroth to Draenor (Outland). This is why it was so easy for Illidan to walk back and forth through his own portals (though he is incredibly powerful so it's not like it's an easy feat in general - just for him it is :)). Once Illidan sealed up all the Outland portals however, it became very difficult for anyone to reach that world again. It can be done, but it's quite a lengthy and involved process which requires significant power. Kel'Thuzad was already quite powerful and he needed the Book of Medivh along with the magic inherant to Dalaran to do it (And even then, it was what, like a 45 min long process? Assuming that game time is even considered accurate).

Think of it like a cave system. There could be numerous entraces to the cave, but if there's a cave-in and a main tunnel is blocked, you're never going to get to the other side.

Tysar
04-04-2006, 11:51 AM

Cantus
04-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Remember though, while portals to Outland seem to be extremely difficult to open, the Nether is still very easily accessed. This is exemplified in Desolace, where numerous Warlocks have created miniature portals from which to summon minor demons.

Warlock
04-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Remember though, while portals to Outland seem to be extremely difficult to open, the Nether is still very easily accessed. This is exemplified in Desolace, where numerous Warlocks have created miniature portals from which to summon minor demons.

Right, the Nether is the cave system in my analogy. You can walk around the tunnels and maybe even access other places through other exits, but if the tunnel leading to Outland is blocked, you can't get there.

Kaziel
04-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Giving it some thought, and based on examples, I think there are three methods of making portals:

First, you need someone on both sides to make portals. This is the "easiest" and only becomes challenging if you are trying to make a permanent portal (ala the Dark Portal), and then requires some effort.

Second, the sacrificing of magical artifacts method. This is what Ner'zhul did during BtDP. Basically you're (for lack of any better term) disenchanting the artifact, and using the magical energy to punch your way through the shielding around some worlds (maybe all, but will go into more detail on this later). Due to the nature and power of the magic needed, this method is always permanent.

Finally, there is the mage portal method. Basically this is what Illidan did at the end of the Night Elf campaign for TFT. I'm using the Mage portal spells from WoW as an example, but via long magical ceremony or something, you mark a certain area as a "home point" and you can open up a portal to that place. Illidan knew of a point like this, by absorbing the Skull of Gul'Dan, and knew shit might go down, and when he needed to get away at the end of the campaign he opened up the portal. Since few others still alive have stepped foot on Dreanor, let alone set up a "home point" there, you can't just use this method to port there... yet. Due to it's intent, this is primarily used for on the spot ports.
Also, a magical item can be used similar to this, opening portals to other places. The Scythe of Elune is an example of this, and with how easily it works, that shows that the Scythe is a tool of immense power, potentially even Artifact level.

Anyways, as for my further explanation, World to World teleportation or portal creation is rarely done easily. And since the Demons and other groups just don't pop in, implies that there's some sort of impediment to teleporting across worlds. I would hazard that most, if not all worlds have this, if it isn't the space inbetween that has this effect. Too many unknowns again to make say anything conclusive.

Cantus
04-04-2006, 04:39 PM
I'll hazard a guess on what might be impeding portals...

Yet another theory full of holes
Portals seem to be miniature "wormholes" or tunnels through the fabric of spacetime. Magic acts as a the force strong enough to hold back the natural repair of these holes (planet's magnetospheres or maybe there's a natural magic to worlds that attempts to fill this abnormal gap.), for only so long as the magic is maintainted.

Illidan can seal these permanent portals/rips by harnessing the planets natural need to heal itself. By finding each open portal, and manipulating the ley energies, he can repair this "spectral tear" permanently.

In order to reopen these wounds in the fabric, one needs enough magic so that the planet no longer attempts to heal the repair, simply create a scar-esque flow of magics around it.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Something tells me I need to stop theorizing and just by the books already...