PDA

View Full Version : WarCraft: The Motion Picture (yes, it's coming)

Warlock
05-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Well this is certainly some interesting news. <A HREF="http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/705/705796p1.html">IGN reports</a> that Legendary Pictures (the guys behind Batman Begins and the new Superman movie) have a WoW movie on their plates. Official announcements are expected to come tomorrow! This should be pretty cool, just so long as it doesn't end up <A HREF="http://www.scrollsoflore.com/warlock/warcraftthemovie.jpg">like this</a> ;)<br>
<b>Update:</b> Apparently the NY Times has also <A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/09/technology/09video.html">done an article on this</a>, talking with Paul Sams, Blizzard's chief operating officer. What he says is very reassuring, mainly in the sense that they do not want to turn this into another big blockbuster crapfest like most video game-to-movie conversions. He also mentions this will be a live-action movie with CGI elements ala Lord of the Rings (shame it's not all CGI but hopefully they'll do it good). You can also read some more quotes <A HREF="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002464761">over at HollywoodReporter.com</a> as well. Thanks to Smeedle for finding this.<br>
<b>Update 2:</b> Blizzard now has a press release. <A HREF="http://www.blizzard.com/press/060509.shtml">Read it here</a>.

Ravenclaw2099
05-08-2006, 11:45 PM
I am still finding this hard to believe.. not that I'm accusing you of lying, but I never thought there would be an actual movie coming out! Somebody pinch me please, I may still be dreming. :)

Smeedle
05-09-2006, 01:50 AM
The New York Times Article also has a quote from Paul Sams, Blizzard's chief operating officer: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/09/technology/09video.html

Even more quotes here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002464761

Urin_Bloodface
05-09-2006, 04:05 AM
This just made my day! I just hope its good ...
if its as bad as the first manga. I will cry.
if its as bad as forinstance the , witchblade movie. I will cry.
if its as bad as wowwiki when it comes to lore. I will cry.

Tysar
05-09-2006, 04:26 AM
shit, this is AWESOME :) I can't wait.. hope this won't be a blunder though...

Kakwakas
05-09-2006, 05:41 AM
Unless they get Metzen and Samwise to keep watch over everything every step of the way and come up with the script and all the concept art, it's gonna suck.
So, it's gonna suck.

Vicious
05-09-2006, 05:41 AM
Yes, it´s coming and yes, it has a 98% chance that it will suck.

Creative
05-09-2006, 05:48 AM
I give it 95% suck chance. Suppose I am a little too kind ;P

Kenzuki
05-09-2006, 06:06 AM
Well these are the guys that made Batman Begins, which was pretty good.

Of course remember the Super Mario Bros. Movie....*shudders*

Kakwakas
05-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Well these are the guys that made Batman Begins, which was pretty good.

Of course remember the Super Mario Bros. Movie....*shudders*

And Street Fighter.
And Tomb Raider.
And Final Fantasy.
And Alone in the Dark.
And House of the Dead.
And, well, you get the idea. Movies based on videogames tend to be absolutely horrible. The only exceptions I'm willing to make are Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill, though the SH movie is only good if you're a fan of the games and can get past the horrid dialogue.

Kerrah
05-09-2006, 08:11 AM
But the true question is:

Animated or Acted?

Edit: Good jokes about this one here: http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-off-topic-en&T=213478&P=1

Im Dabura at those forums btw :P

Tysar
05-09-2006, 08:22 AM
You know what the worst thing is if it is not animated? All the people from WoW will change appeaarnce into some Hollywood actors...

Vicious
05-09-2006, 08:22 AM
So far the only good movie-from-game that exists it´s the first Mortal Kombat movie, the second sucks, god knows how the 3rd will be.

I haven´t seen SH, altough i hear it drifts off so much from the game mood it sucks.

Why, ho, why won´t they make a fucking 3d movie.

Bradford
05-09-2006, 08:24 AM
The guys who made the latest Batman Begins movie and the New Superman moive.... hmmm.....They are gonna do the WoW movie......hmmmm....... SUCK! I did not enjoy the newest Batman movie at ALL! As much as I hate to admit it the best Batman movie was still done by Tim Burton, with the original. I have my doubts with the new Superman as well. They just dont "feel" right. With that said, I think the Batman movie was directeded well, the story and the actor choices sucked. That does shine a little bit of hope I guess. I dunno.... I wont say anything else till I see it released.

Also, I think the Resident Evil movies were ok. I sorta liked the Doom movie but I like the Rock too, so that there lowers my credibility a little. I grew up in the late 70's early 80's so im sorta impartial, which I realize. I only know Superman as Chris Reeves. BTW I want to be casted as an extra in the new WOW movie.

Kerrah
05-09-2006, 08:27 AM
You know what the worst thing is if it is not animated? All the people from WoW will change appeaarnce into some Hollywood actors...
Someone at european WoW Forums said that the Movie studio doesnt do animated movies.....

OH-CRAP!

I did not enjoy the newest Batman movie at ALL!
I think it was the best one this far.

Creative
05-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Wonder if the movie will be based on the game or if it will be an entire new part?

Kenzuki
05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
The could get Sean Connery as Anduin Lothar!

"There can be only one!" - Lothar to Doomhammer

Kerrah
05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Wonder if the movie will be based on the game or if it will be an entire new part?
Well, if it is based on the game we have already had our hopes on what part of the game it will show with Schoonmoeder :P

Kerrah -.-

Kenzuki
05-09-2006, 08:31 AM
The should totally star with The First War. It lasted four years and was small enough to fit into one 3 hour movie ala Lord of the Rings.

Vicious
05-09-2006, 08:33 AM
The should totally star with The First War. It lasted four years and was small enough to fit into one 3 hour movie ala Lord of the Rings.

I have the feeling it won´t altough it would be kick ass if they did.

I´m more inclined to a seperate storyline in the WOW timeline.

Tysar
05-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Yeah... maybe a short intro about forming of the Horde... like the one in LoTR :D

Kerrah
05-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Four years? I thought the entire wars fitted into "The Last Guardian", and IMO it was from a time of about a year and a half.

Warlock
05-09-2006, 08:41 AM
I might have to start up a "pick your actors" topic :P

Kerrah
05-09-2006, 08:47 AM
I might have to start up a "pick your actors" topic :P
PLZ, i wanna post some of my candinates.

Timolas
05-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Thats already done, Schoon!

------------------------------
Muradin rolls 99 on Frostmourne.
[Party] Muradin: Wooohoo! Look at that DPS!
Arthas changes to Master Looter.
Arthas receives [Frostmourne]
[Party] Muradin: ......OMG
Chinese Farmers, I have no idea O.O
Back on Northrend, after Mal'Ganis death.
[Arthas]:Well, this sucks. How do we get home after burning the ships?
[Footman]: Mage, Gief portalplzz!
[Sorceress]: Give me 16silver, I need a reagent...
[Footman]: OMG R U A NOOB?! GIEF PORTAL NOW!
[Sorceress]: I didnt hear please.
[Footman]: PLZZZZZ
[Sorceress]: It is spelled Please.... Oh well, here is the portal.
[Footman]: THZ U NUUB.
Awhile later
[Footman] whispers: OMG THIS IS IRONFORGE U NUUB!
--------------------------------
[Arthas]: I am gonna grind some undeads near Andorhal, I need food and water.
[Jaina]: Ok, pay me 1g for each 20 crystal water.
[Arthas]: OMG, U GET IT 4 FREE! WHY SHOULD I PAY?!1
[Jaina]: My time isnt free.
[Arthas]: OMG NUB, WELCOME TO IGNORE!
Arthas goes stabbie-stabbie with Terenas and goes away.
---------------------------------
[Arthas]: PLXX! I JUST REROLLED AND I NEED MONEY FOR MOUNT.
[Tichondrius]: You are level 1.
[Arthas]: So? I lvl fast!!1
[Tichondrius]: Then you should get money fast too.
[Arthas]: LOL, I guess u are just to poor litle NOOB!
[Tichondrius]: .....
A little later...
[Arthas]:U NUB! DEATHKNIGHTS GETS MOUNT 4 FREE.

- - -

Thos are yours Warlock? :buck: Hilarious, whichever of you posted em.

By the way, at first I was excited at the thought of a film, but if its WoW... nah! We all know WoW wouldnt make a spectacular movie right? Theres no timeline? 3 hours of watching a guy level? :P I dunno.
I bet they wont even check Wc3 or before for the lore.

Yeah, its gonna suck
I bet they might do it about the War of the Shifting Sands in Silithus.. thats the only progressive bit of the game.

EDIT: I see it was Creative! All of you made me laugh though xD I dont laugh easily at times like this.

Kenzuki
05-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Nope The Last Guardian happened right near the end of the First War. The First War lasted four years while the Second War lasted about two.

Kerrah
05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Nope The Last Guardian happened right near the end of the First War. The First War lasted four years while the Second War lasted about two.
How is that possible, it is said that the orcs were thought to be only a myth in stormwind at the beginning of the book, and besides, why did it always seem to me that Azeroth was razed so fast that they never got the time to get help from Lordaeron... (i mean even Llane must have had some thinking about his possible victory after 4 years)

Urin_Bloodface
05-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Arthas should be played by Dolph Lundgren! He was so great in He-man.

Warlock
05-09-2006, 09:40 AM
How is that possible, it is said that the orcs were thought to be only a myth in stormwind at the beginning of the book, and besides, why did it always seem to me that Azeroth was razed so fast that they never got the time to get help from Lordaeron... (i mean even Llane must have had some thinking about his possible victory after 4 years)

Because TLG was very *very* poorly written :P

Vicious
05-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Because TLG was very *very* poorly written :P

Shhhh!

Keep it down man, you´ll piss Kenzuki, god knows what he´ll do if he hears that.

Creative
05-09-2006, 10:38 AM
I bet they might do it about the War of the Shifting Sands in Silithus.. thats the only progressive bit of the game.

EDIT: I see it was Creative! All of you made me laugh though xD I dont laugh easily at times like this.

http://wow.allakhazam.com/mediabox/AQ-poster-medres.jpg

Yeah, it was me :)

Timolas
05-09-2006, 02:21 PM
"We are intending to approach this as we would the adaptation of a best-selling novel: respect the essence of all that it is but also build upon that fertile base while translating it into a new medium."

A quote from http://www.blizzard.com/press/060509.shtml

Just when the threat of the Eredar wasnt depressing enough; the film is going to 'add on' its own pieces of lore :P

Phlintlock
05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
This may make me abandon all hope in WoW. The movies made me like Harry Potter less and this may well make me despise WoW. Everyone will just say I play the game/read the books because of the movie and look like some dumb fanboy. God I really HATE Blizzard sometimes.

Kakwakas
05-18-2006, 09:43 PM
IMDb added the movie to their database...
http://imdb.com/title/tt0803096/

Cantus
05-18-2006, 10:08 PM
The possible release date is 2008 (IMBD link), which means we've got 2 years to sit down and pray to Elune/Naaru#283/Hakkar that this thing won't turn out to be a complete piece of crap.

And oddly enough, I remember posting in a thread about who would play what in such a movie. Something about Rosie O'Donnel being used as the Abomination model?

Ravenclaw2099
05-18-2006, 10:47 PM
The possible release date is 2008 (IMBD link), which means we've got 2 years to sit down and pray to Elune/Naaru#283/Hakkar that this thing won't turn out to be a complete piece of crap.

And oddly enough, I remember posting in a thread about who would play what in such a movie. Something about Rosie O'Donnel being used as the Abomination model?

ROFL, Rosie O' Donnel, that was gold! And I tried summoning Naaru #283, but #285 came to me instead. He's not exactly the friendly type. I hope this film turns out really good. no more Video game movie letdowns!

Timolas
05-19-2006, 05:59 AM
Hence, the movies shall be!:

Warcraft 1: The Phantom Chinese Farmer
Warcraft 2: Attack of the Noobs
Warcraft 3: Revenge of the Protoss
Warcraft 4: A New Profession (Jewelcrafting!)
Warcraft 5: The Timbermaw Strikes Back
Warcraft 6: Return of the Fanboys

:cool:

Kerrah
05-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Hence, the movies shall be!:

Warcraft 1: The Phantom Chinese Farmer
Warcraft 2: Attack of the Noobs
Warcraft 3: Revenge of the Protoss
Warcraft 4: A New Profession (Jewelcrafting!)
Warcraft 5: The Timbermaw Strikes Back
Warcraft 6: Return of the Fanboys

:cool:
No,

Warcraft 1: The raiders of the lost loot
Warcraft 2: The temple of the doom... ...ed raid
Warcraft 3: The Last raid

or...

Warcraft 1: The Fellowship of the Ping
Warcraft 2: The Two Pwners
Warcraft 3: The return of the Ping

or...