PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard to Address Lore Paradox

Warlock
05-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Blizzard has <A HREF="http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=8279544&p=1&tmp=1#post8279544">finally replied</a> to the hundreds (and that is not an exaggeration) of lore complaints made about the new Draenei race.

If you have been living under a rock for the last few days, the basic problem is that the Draenei descend from the Eredar. According to Blizzard's new backstory for them, the Eredar started off as a nobel race that was corrupted by Sargeras, the Dark Titan. Why is this a problem? Because Blizzard's own Sargeras backstory contradicts this in a "Chicken and the Egg" style paradox. According to history, Sargeras was tasked with rounding up all the demons in the Universe. Among these were the evil Eredar, a terrible race of Warlocks. Apparently, the Eredar were so evil that it affected Sargeras, and was one of the major catalysts involved in turning him into the Lord of the Legion he is today. But if the Eredar were always good, why then would Sargeras have turned evil? If Sargeras was good when he first met them, how then did *they* turn evil?

Anyways, many are fearing Blizzard is yet again retconning their own lore, which they have done in the past but never with something this big and usually with the old RTS games (War 1 and 2) which had very little in-game story and relied on manuals and mission briefings exclusively. But this story was established during WarCraft 3, which is considered to be more modern, when Blizzard "refined" the storyline and did all the retconning to begin with. So there wasn't a *need* to retconn, especially when this new story could have worked other ways that would not have destroyed existing lore.

Here is what Tseric had to say on the issue:
<ul><font size=1>Since the announcement of the new race and the lore behind it, we have seen a great deal of commentary and feedback from the players regarding this aspect of the Warcraft franchise. In fact, lore as a topic of discussion has been more prevalent on the forums recently, than in previous months. We take this as a good sign that so many are invested in this topic and we do not wish to disturb some of these long-held appreciations.

We will be addressing such concerns more actively, once we have E3 behind us and can get back to our regular duties of creating the immersive game that you have all come to love. We know many have a lot of unanswered questions regarding this and rest assured, we will address such concerns in the near future. Stay tuned!</font></ul>So we'll know after e3, which is sort of what I expected would happen. Personally I'm surprised there are so many people out there that care about the lore (especially in the WoW.com forums which tend to be a cesspool of morons most of the time). Should be interesting to see what they say.

Kakwakas
05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Since the announcement of the new race and the lore behind it, we have seen a great deal of commentary and feedback from the players regarding this aspect of the Warcraft franchise. In fact, lore as a topic of discussion has been more prevalent on the forums recently, than in previous months. We take this as a good sign that so many are invested in this topic and we do not wish to disturb some of these long-held appreciations.

We will be addressing such concerns more actively, once we have E3 behind us and can get back to our regular duties of creating the immersive game that you have all come to love. We know many have a lot of unanswered questions regarding this and rest assured, we will address such concerns in the near future. Stay tuned!

Translation:

Oops! We didn't know you all give a damn about the lore! We'll pull something out of our asses later. Stay tuned!

Kenzuki
05-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Good good. Hopefully this will work out. See? Fans can make a difference!

Vicious
05-11-2006, 06:21 PM
I said in Kenzuki´s post but i´ll say it here anyway.

They said nothing but it´s a start, a lot better then deleting/locking the threads.

Ravenclaw2099
05-11-2006, 10:30 PM
This is great. I still like the idea of the Dranei being offshoots of the Eredar (I mean, how many of us saw THAT coming?), much like the Blood Elves are offshoots of the High Elves. But the whole Sargeras issue really does bug me, and to an extent, the spaceship issue (it does make SOME sense, seeing as what the Fel/Arcane magics of the Nether would do to them if they travelled through portals, but using the word spacecraft just reminds eveyone of Protoss).

I just hope the revised backstory keeps true to the Origins of the Legion. And if they keep the "spacecraft" theory at least make the technology on par with gnomish/goblin inventions, or magic-based.

Medievaldragon
05-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Pew pew pew
http://lorelol.ytmnsfw.com/

Yuber8900
05-12-2006, 12:33 AM
We've already had that posted two times.

Kakwakas
05-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Pew pew pew
http://lorelol.ytmnsfw.com/

Heeeyy! Medieval came here! Welcome to the boards. :D