PDA

View Full Version : WarCraft Movie Interview

Warlock
05-16-2006, 09:23 PM
<A HREF="http://www.gamespot.com/">GameSpot</a> has conducted <A HREF="http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/story.php?sid=6151334&page=1">an interview with Paul Sams</a> about the upcoming WarCraft movie. Here's an excerpt:
<ul><font size=1><b>GameSpot:</b> Let's talk about the big news this week, the movie. How do you make sure the Warcraft movie--well, plain and simple--doesn't suck?

<b>Paul Sams: </b>We're not trying to take what we've done and...try to make a literal translation to the big screen. What we want to do is to make a great movie that happens to be set in a video game universe. That's a differentiator, and a key differentiator.

A lot of it comes down to picking the right people. A lot of the other video game movies that have come out before this haven't had the budgets, the right people, and haven't had the right mindset.

We and Legendary want to make a great film, an event picture, big-budget picture, that is a great stand-alone, fantasy-based movie that is good for you regardless of whether you're familiar with the Warcraft universe.

<b>GS:</b> What are the core components of the World of Warcraft universe that will transition into the movie?

<b>PS:</b> Well, I think with the Warcraft universe, and I think this is something where Blizzard kind of sets itself apart, is we've worked very hard historically to create immersive environments and immersive experiences. Not just with the fact that you've got to be focused when you're playing, but we've really tried to build rich storylines, rich mythology, and very deep character packages. Characters that you care about, that you either love or you hate. You wonder what's going to happen next in their journey.

With all these different conflicts going on within the universe, there's a huge tapestry from which to work--a lot of the other video game movies we've seen prior to this have not had the benefit of as much lore and mythology, and this huge visual tapestry from which to work from. I think we're bringing more to the table that movie makers will be able to draw from. </font></ul>The interview is pretty interesting and worth checking out. Here's hoping Blizzard can pull through on this one (though it probably has more of a chance than any other game-to-movie I've seen).

Warlock
05-16-2006, 09:39 PM
From the comments on that story:
Link_026
Yea, I dont know very much about WoW but being a MMORPG it cant have a very indepth story, so how will they make a movie on it?

-_-

Timolas
05-17-2006, 05:40 AM
-_- Nub.

Vicious
05-17-2006, 05:46 AM
My favorite answer:

PS: And during that process, our creative development team [will] have to be really dissecting this. Blizzard's fans are very, very knowledgeable of the lore. They understand this mythology better than a lot of people that work here because they just live it. They love it. So, we're going to need to go through that with a very fine-toothed comb and make sure that we've got our act together from a historical perspective-- from character history perspective, the locales, where these different battles might occur or...all these different things. We need to make sure it all meshes together. So, that process is going to take some time.

Kenzuki
05-17-2006, 07:48 AM
My favorite answer:

Thank god.

Smeedle
05-17-2006, 09:40 AM
And then, from a creative perspective, there's a guy there by the name of John Jashni. And John has been with us for these last many years working with us to try to find a movie opportunity. John has been a producer in Hollywood for quite some time and worked on some projects that were ones that we really enjoyed.
Hmm, look at his filmography (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0419169/). From the producer of "Sweet Home Alabama", "Shopgirl" and "Dreamer" comes "Warcraft - The Movie". Starring Reese Witherspoon as Jaina Proudmoore, Steve Martin as Arthas Menethil and Dakota Fanning as Sprinkle the little goblin girl. ;)