Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   Overwatch Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Overwatch Thread (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=216551)

Genesis 11-07-2014 05:10 PM

Overwatch Thread

May as well get discussion of this going.

Here is the new battle.net website for Overwatch.

Thoughts? Impressions? Kvetching?

CosmicGuitars 11-07-2014 05:16 PM

I'm in love, honestly, though I can understand why some people aren't as enthusiastic. It just seems like a game that was made for me. The art style, to me, is incredibly visually pleasing. I'm also fine with the lore being a bit more tongue in cheek and silly, because Blizzard has proven they're not the best when it comes to more grounded and fleshed out settings. For gameplay, it's also exactly what I'm looking for, as I'm always searching for more multiplayer games that aren't MOBAs. The most obvious comparison is Team Fortress, and that is a game I have sunk hundreds of hours into. I can't wait to see Blizzard's own take on the genre.

Nazja 11-07-2014 05:18 PM

I love the art, but I'm not sure it's a game I'd enjoy. I'm not too good at shooting people. :(

handclaw 11-07-2014 05:19 PM

Overwatch, presented by Pixa- ehm, Blizzard!

Loved the trailer. :P

Nazja 11-07-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handclaw (Post 1226830)
Overwatch, presented by Pixa- ehm, Blizzard!

Loved the trailer. :P

Same. I wish they'd make an Overwatch movie alongside or instead of the Warcraft movie. :kawaii:

Arakiba 11-07-2014 05:22 PM

Design wise, I like the look of it.

Gameplay wise, I haven't really played a multiplayer FPS in ages. Honestly, I'm still yearning for something to fill the void Tribes left in my heart. I didn't much like TF2 and if it is anything like it, I'll probably not like it all that much. Which is a pity, as I do love the aesthetic of TF2 (and do like Overwatch's).

Mutterscrawl 11-07-2014 05:22 PM

So its like TF2?

Porimlys 11-07-2014 05:23 PM

So how long till Tracer and Winston get added to HotS :P

Genesis 11-07-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 1226829)
I love the art, but I'm not sure it's a game I'd enjoy. I'm not too good at shooting people. :(

Likewise. If there's a single-player versus AI, then I will be more likely to consider playing this.

CosmicGuitars 11-07-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl (Post 1226835)
So its like TF2?

Not quite. There's no team deathmatch mode, for one, and it seems like they want to put less of a focus on gunplay and more verticality, movement and teamwork.

Genesis 11-07-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars (Post 1226846)
Not quite. There's no team deathmatch mode, for one, and it seems like they want to put less of a focus on gunplay and more verticality, movement and teamwork.

They basically gave MOBA character abilities for an FPS game.

They probably could easily turn this game into a FPS MOBA if they expanded it a bit more.

Anansi 11-07-2014 05:40 PM

Alright, Blizzard, that bit with the Hearthstone player was kind of funny.

Mutterscrawl 11-07-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anansi (Post 1226854)

What where?

Also, it looks neat but widowmaker being marked as a defensive character is weird

Anansi 11-07-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl (Post 1226858)
What where?

The otherwise stupidly over-the-top and absurd cinematic trailer has a brief interlude showing the guy in charge of the security cameras isn't paying attention because he's playing Hearthstone.

Genesis 11-07-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anansi (Post 1226854)

I laughed.

Cantus 11-07-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl (Post 1226858)
What where?

Also, it looks neat but widowmaker being marked as a defensive character is weird

Makes the most sense, a Sniper is meant to position correctly and block out folks from capturing/unseating positions. Everything in her kit is definitely oriented to that too, from mines to her ult literally providing overwatch.

As others have noted, if it's actually making the z axis a serious part of gameplay, it'll have a shot at making the big leagues.

Mutterscrawl 11-07-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anansi (Post 1226867)
The otherwise stupidly over-the-top and absurd cinematic trailer has a brief interlude showing the guy in charge of the security cameras isn't paying attention because he's playing Hearthstone.

Just watched it, im at work so no sound sadly, but it looked neat.

Ma Caque Attaque 11-07-2014 06:22 PM

It looks pretty and I'm sure that a lot of people will enjoy it and good on them.

I like the art, and that's about it. I'd like to like it as a new game to play but these types of games aren't my bag.

Nephalim 11-07-2014 06:40 PM

My first impression: unimpressed.

As others have noted, its style is very Pixar-derivative, and it doesn't help that most current animation is also very Pixar-derivative. In 2014 - at least to me - this looks very generic, and so many of the heroes are clearly ripped off of other pop culture properties that I'm half-convinced the ones that DON'T seem ripped off to me are just ripped off of properties I'm not familiar with. The story strikes me as trite and juvenile, and if there's anything "dark" or "gritty" about it, they aren't advertising.

Mind you, it's day 1, and I'm willing to admit I'm judging it harshly. The pros: the international cast and healthier ratio of women is refreshing from Blizzard's usual white-male-washed fare. Also, a first-person shooter is a moderate risk for Blizz, and I applaud them taking it.

Genesis 11-07-2014 06:41 PM

When I look at Overwatch, I think their success with Hearthstone (and positive buzz around Heroes of the Swarm) along with their complicated failures with Titan taught them that you can be successful with smaller packages built around quality products.

Gromak 11-07-2014 06:50 PM

I absolutely agree with Cosmic. Overwatch looks really, really fun and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Mutterscrawl 11-07-2014 06:53 PM

I wish theyd gone full TF2 crazy with the story, i know they dont care but I'll still reflexively cringe at the coming retcons to this innocent story

Arashi 11-07-2014 06:54 PM

I'm pleasantly surprised.

I was expecting something completely different.

PajamaSalad 11-07-2014 07:16 PM

I like the art style. Not everything has to be dark and edgy!

Ragnahar 11-07-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajamasalad (Post 1226952)
I like the art style. Not everything has to be dark and edgy!

I know i'm going to play the shit out of it.