View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 01:18 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Doing depraved and damning things because your balls are in a vice just makes it moderately justified, not heroic.
Well, I mean stuff like warning Durotan and such. Isn't self-serving and bitchy enough for Ner'zhul. :p Where is the alterior motive in that!? It all depends on how it's written I guess, though. If it's like "Arg. Stop following Kil'jaeden!!" then fine, but if it's like. "Ohno, Scary Demonz. =( DUROTAN DONT LISTEN TO THEMZ." then it's silly.

Quote:
I never found Ner'zhul to be that bad a guy. Even in Beyond the Dark Portal, while he was definitely a villain, he wasn't taking home any awards. Though I suppose in the shadow of Gul'dan, those are pretty big dreadmist sandals to fill. Even in Frozen Throne, I wasn't totally sure if he would keep up the whole Scourge taking over the world thing, now that he was out from under the demon thumbs. But just because he's not at one end of the spectrum doesn't mean he's at the other. He's never been a good guy. Even in the Warcraft III version of events, his last minute recession doesn't exactly redeem him, it just makes him not as bad as Gul'dan.

Being blackmailed into submission makes him sympathetic but hardly a hero. And it doesn't change who he is now. Kil'jaeden certainly did a number on him.
Which is why I like him so much, he's beyond such labels as 'bad guy' or 'good guy'. He's clearly a villain, but he doesn't do things in a typical villainous fashion. If anything, he fights the 'bad guys' more than he does the 'good guys', but not in the same pacifist way that say, Illidan does. ("OHNO WHAT WOULD TYRANDE THINK OF ME!!")