Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 01-06-2007, 08:13 AM

Loremaster

Default Rise of the Horde (may contain spoilers)

This book is AWESOME. Get it, seriously. If you're a fan of the Horde you MUST have this book. I must say for a moment I thought the orcs were all going to be peace loving hippies, I couldn't have been more wrong. No longer will people call the orcs mere victims, no longer will they say it wasn't their fault. The true history of the Horde is revealed in this tome and it is worthy of praise.

-Thrall is Durotan made over folks, though I think Thrall is a little more honorable or nice, then again he was raised by humans.

-I really do feel sorry for Ner'zhul, you can't help it when you read his story. You seee how he goes from being a noble, caring leader who loves his people, and see how one day he will become the Lich King. Sad indeed.

-Gul'dan is a bastard that you will love to hate, which makes him all the more cooler.

-Grom "On crack" Hellscream is here, and trust me folks if you hoped he was some lame pansy who cared about his family you will be sadly mistaken. Grom was badass before the demons, and he always will be! Grom also made sure he was the first to recieve this new blessing, even taking the honor away from the Warchief himself hehe.

-Blackhand is made Warchief on Draenor, which is a slight change but one that I can live with. He's a pretty cool character actually.

-Orgrim Doomhammer is here, I really like how they fleshed out his story. They made him honorable but at the same time he is far from guiltless in this story of blood and death. Though to his credit, he did not drink of the blood of Mannoroth.

-Velen and the draenei are the other side of this story, and they are the ones you really do feel sorry for. Their entire way of life is torn out like a beating heart and crushed while they are forced to watch. Velen is a cool guy, reminds me alot of Malfurion actually, only without the temper tantrams.

-Orcish skin used to be brown, but as time went on they started to turn green from the corruption that the warlocks were spreading. Orgrim thought it ironic that the land was supposed to be green had turned brown, while they were brown and had turned green.

-We get to see how the ogres joined the Horde Put it to you this way "We no like gronn. Gronn hurt us!" Up until then ogres and orcs had been bitter enemies.

You'll like it alot, I promise. The same author that did Lord of the Clans shines in this book.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:52 AM

Sentinel Queen
Send a message via AIM to Rebirth

Guess I'll pick it up then. Does it allude to any other WarCraft books? To flesh out the universe a bit more?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:28 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebirth
Guess I'll pick it up then. Does it allude to any other WarCraft books? To flesh out the universe a bit more?
Lord of the Clans and The Last Guardian.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
If you're a fan of the Horde you MUST have this book.
Then I don't need to get it, but it sounds great anyway so that's enough for me. Just hope the local store has it in stock.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:54 AM

Loremaster

Put it to you this way, if you're fan of Warcraft I and II, you NEED this book. It brought up so much nostalgia I was giddy with excitement! This is perhaps one of the best WC books that has ever come out, it is soooo awesome. It also sheds a GREAT light on the Draenei as well, you really get a feel for the people and how they and the orcs had alot in common. You'll also see just how evil Kil'jaeden is and how personal this was to him. You'll also see inside of Archimonde as well.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
You'll also see inside of Archimonde as well.
Ewww!

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

I think I might actually pick this up, though I'm wary.

I *HATE* the changes to Ner'zhul.

It's too "HE WENT FROM GOOD TO EVIL!"

I've always seen Ner'zhul as a character who is beyond good and evil, and is more of a self-serving little bitch. :p
Old 01-06-2007, 08:17 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius
I think I might actually pick this up, though I'm wary.

I *HATE* the changes to Ner'zhul.

It's too "HE WENT FROM GOOD TO EVIL!"

I've always seen Ner'zhul as a character who is beyond good and evil, and is more of a self-serving little bitch. :p
No, that sounds more like Gul'dan. Gul'dan who was willing to dispose of Ner'zhul from the start but Kil'jaeden wanted him alive.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:51 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuli
-Velen and the draenei are the other side of this story, and they are the ones you really do feel sorry for. Their entire way of life is torn out like a beating heart and crushed while they are forced to watch. Velen is a cool guy, reminds me alot of Malfurion actually, only without the temper tantrams.
Like that so didn't happen before.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 AM

Hippogryph

I've been thinking, i have read the Rise of the Horde and Kenzuki is right its a bloody good read, i mean i rarely read a book in one day..

anyway i was a bit confused about one thing.. How long had the Draenei been on Draenor?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:01 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaztha
I've been thinking, i have read the Rise of the Horde and Kenzuki is right its a bloody good read, i mean i rarely read a book in one day..

anyway i was a bit confused about one thing.. How long had the Draenei been on Draenor?
They had been there for at least two hundred years.

Also I'm not saying Ner'zhul is a hero, he DID just sit there all those years and watch as Gul'dan and his Shadow Councile turned his people into monsters, though to his credit he couldn't really do much of anything. Then when he found out that Gul'dan was going to make them all drink the blood of Dae'mons he dared to try. He wrote a letter to Durotan telling him not to drink what Gul'dan offered him. The only reason Orgrim didn't drink when Blackhand offered him was because he felt something wasn't right and he didn't want to take his chieftain's glory from him.

I LOVE how they wrote Grom Hellscream, even before the bloodlust he was a badass. You know the black stuff on his lower jaw? That's not a beard, that's a tattoo.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:33 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Also I'm not saying Ner'zhul is a hero,
The book is, though. Or so it sounds.

Just my preference, he works better as the 'enemy of my enemy' as opposed to some heroic good guy.

But then I don't know the cirumstances with which he wrote to Durotan.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Hippogryph

Aye i loved how Grom got a tattoo on his lower jaw and he even roars as he did, i do wonder though if thats a trait in all Hellscreams.

So 200 + years then.. hrmm wait a minute that cant be right... since if you remember the Orcs seemed to remember Oshu'gun from before time.. that must be longer than 200 years..

Last edited by Ghaztha; 01-07-2007 at 02:44 PM..
Old 01-07-2007, 03:07 PM

Loremaster

Hellscream isn't a family name, it's one he got because of his scream. Because orcs don't normally have the same last names unless they do it out of respect. Like Orgrim, he only took his father's name of Doomhammer after he died and he recieved the Doomhammer.

The book doesn't make him seem like some shining hero Aldrius. Read it and you will find out.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:14 AM

Site Staff - News
Send a message via MSN to Ersinus

I agree that Furion is not a such a nice guy as a Paladin or a priest of the Holy light is. Being an Archdruid and so deeply connected to the nature his character has become like the nature itself. How much you damage the nature, that much the nature will strike back.

But i dont thing its right to compare Velen with Uther or Lothar. He is too much passive. I understand when Draenei escaped from the rest of the Eredar when they were corrupted, Sargeras was still on his all glory back then, and they could not do much against the dark titan. But Velen could have stopped the orcs, at least they could try to severe orcs connection with the demons, like killing Gul'dan or even Ner'Zhul to stop a greater evil. Velen for a guy that is so ancient doesnt have a bit wisdom to see such a thing. He is nowhere near Uther, Lothar or Furion. What Velen had done is just to let his people battle when it was too late and be one of the reasons there is road carved from dreanei skulls.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:19 AM

Loremaster

Velen couldn't have changed it, the future was set in stone. They don't call him a Prophet for nothing you know. I only compared him to Uther or Lothar in that he seems to be a GOOD guy in stead of just a gray guy.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:12 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Feh, damn score whore.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:19 AM

Site Staff - News
Send a message via MSN to Ersinus

So Velen is a prophet who believes that fate already decided and mortals cant change it. Well he must find and go to Medivh and learn how prophetism is done.
Medivh was a prophet (during WC3) who believed that decisions of the mortals effect the fate, and he was there to warn them to make the right decision which will save them. Thats kind of things prophets do, warn and save people before bad things happen, not after.

I hope when the time period before the Draenei arrived on Draenor is revealed or during events of BC we will see Velen in more active role, not just someone who is there just to fill the role as racial leader. I want more from the guy who was one of the leaders of Eredar with Kil'jaeden and Archimonde. From a guy of his caliber epic things are expected.

Ken, i understand your camparison, but i think so far he isnt near to be comparable to Lothar or Uther.

Last edited by Ersinus; 01-11-2007 at 09:24 AM..
Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ersinus
So Velen is a prophet who believes that fate already decided and mortals cant change it. Well he must find and go to Medivh and learn how prophetism is done.
Medivh was a prophet (during WC3) who believed that decisions of the mortals effect the fate, and he was there to warn them to make the right decision which will save them. Thats kind of things prophets do, warn and save people before bad things happen, not after.

I hope when the time period before the Draenei arrived on Draenor is revealed or during events of BC we will see Velen in more active role, not just someone who is there just to fill the role as racial leader. I want more from the guy who was one of the leaders of Eredar with Kil'jaeden and Archimonde. From a guy of his caliber epic things are expected.

Ken, i understand your camparison, but i think so far he isnt near to be comparable to Lothar or Uther.
He did try to change history, even willingly putting himself in harm's way to try to reach the orcs, but it didn't work.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuli
He did try to change history, even willingly putting himself in harm's way to try to reach the orcs, but it didn't work.
You should really play Tales of the Abyss.