Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 10-02-2013, 02:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck View Post
Say people

Im working on a setting for one of my errrr... games, I want a campaign that is completely featured in a cold climate

For inspiration I even made an image gallery

Of course right now its still at nothing but concept stages, id have it be kind of like what would happen if you mixed Conan with lots of Ice

That means, fey spirits, undead, giants, magic as a malevolent force, civilization in its early stages or recovering from a terrible devastation and the theme of mankind struggling to stay alive against both the elements, the grim lack of resources, the unwelcoming fauna and each other.

I guess ill be venting here or be making a thread for some ideas and suggestions, right now the hardest is coming up why everyone hasnt died after generations in the freezing north and why dont they just move north, I had been considering the idea of the land ending up on the north on some great chasm
There is a webcomic with a similar plot, Northern Barbarians struggling against... everything, bad magic etc.

The reason they don't move south is that there are people there already and they don't want to share. In fact the southerners sometimes attack the barbarians in hope of subduing them and converting them.
In turn the north has a reputation for being a freer place, with fewer laws that allow people to be what they want to be. Even if such a claim is not entirely true in your setting, this influx of anarchists and daredevils could prop up the Grim Up North

Also that was pretty much the situation in Norse lands in the period preceding and during Viking invasions. Too many people with no land to support them, so they went out raiding which both gave them resources and lowered the population. As long as the people have many children in your northlands but also die a lot then the population should be sustainable. If it is especially chaotic then I imagine it would have further repercussions in the form of no permanent settlements or cultures, just hordes of orphans and refugees forming, destroying others and being destroyed in turn... which leads to survivors forming new hordes. Add to that issues arising from a nomadic lifestyle, harsh social structure of a tribal society, etc.

My 2 c.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:56 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
There is a webcomic with a similar plot, Northern Barbarians struggling against... everything, bad magic etc.

The reason they don't move south is that there are people there already and they don't want to share. In fact the southerners sometimes attack the barbarians in hope of subduing them and converting them.
In turn the north has a reputation for being a freer place, with fewer laws that allow people to be what they want to be. Even if such a claim is not entirely true in your setting, this influx of anarchists and daredevils could prop up the Grim Up North

Also that was pretty much the situation in Norse lands in the period preceding and during Viking invasions. Too many people with no land to support them, so they went out raiding which both gave them resources and lowered the population. As long as the people have many children in your northlands but also die a lot then the population should be sustainable. If it is especially chaotic then I imagine it would have further repercussions in the form of no permanent settlements or cultures, just hordes of orphans and refugees forming, destroying others and being destroyed in turn... which leads to survivors forming new hordes. Add to that issues arising from a nomadic lifestyle, harsh social structure of a tribal society, etc.

My 2 c.
Well I have made some advancements to the storyline, for starters the whole freezing ordeal is actually bad for the world but better for the Universe at large.

There is an equivalent to Santa Claus that looks after children in the setting but he is 2edgy4U which rises the survival but makes certain that almost everyone raised outside the few cities in the setting is a murderous and amoral bastard

The north is actually warmer while the south is where the frost is coming from, there is an ancient demi-god freezing on the south pole who is attached to a magical machine that keeps pumping cold into its lair in order to stop it from awakening and become a menace the worlds beyond.
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:55 AM

Eternal

I have to ask. What kind of fan works would any of you find fun to read?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:08 PM

Elune

Is this the right thread for this?
I sat down for about 30 minutes and wrote a short thing. It's not my best:

Quote:
Bond of Iron

As the sun set over Nagrand, Oshu'gun, the sacred Mountain of Spirits, glowed an ethereal orange. The orcs at the base of the mountain drank and feasted and partied in their biannual Kosh'harg festival, where all the clans across the world met together. But while once this had been a glorious event and an opportunity to see old friends, it wasn't nearly as important as before. Not since the Horde brought the clans together permanently.

How long had it been now? A year, or even more? Not too long ago, Ner'zhul, head shaman of the Shadowmoon clan and respected by all, had insisted that the draenei, another race on this world, were evil. At his behest the clans united into a single army and began attacking the draenei before they could attack the orcs. It could not even be called a war, not really. It was genocide. The draenei barely put up a fight.

But Ner'zhul had vanished from the public eye as of late, and his apprentice Gul'dan had become the voice of the Horde. Gul'dan was pushing a new form of magic, one that did not require asking the elements and ancestors for aid. He dubbed these new casters, of which he was the first, the "warlocks."

Now, several orc chieftains sat around a fire in the beautiful Nagrand night. They had been called together by Grommash Hellscream of the Warsong clan, who was oddly quiet for once. He was thinner than other orcs, but not weak. His axe Gorehowl name for the screaming noise it made when it was swung was pierced into the dirt. Grom's tattooed face was unreadable as he watched the other chieftains intently, which only made them uncomfortable Grom was never patient, and they questioned just what he was doing.

Blackhand, with his massive war hammer sitting over his crossed legs, grunted in impatience. Despite his brutish exterior, Blackhand was smart and cunning. And he was power-mad. The other chieftains eyed him warily, for they knew that he had already been approached by Gul'dan and offered to make his Blackrock clan the first clan with warlocks. And they knew full well that he would accept it if it put him in a position of power. The Blackrocks of the mountainous Gorgrond region to the north were a hard people and needed power to get by. Blackhand looked behind him to the only orc present at the meeting who was not a chieftain: his second in command, Orgrim Doomhammer.

Orgrim nodded under his chieftain's gaze. His family was a well known one among the orcs for their power and ferocity, but most of all for the legendary weapon which the family was named after. The Doomhammer was strapped to Orgrim's back, and his iconic black and gold armor reflected the glow of the flames. When Blackhand turned away from Orgrim, Orgrim looked over to another orc, clad in wolf furs.

Durotan of the Frostwolf clan smiled back at Orgrim. They were old friends, and long ago had been saved from an ogre by the surprise arrival of the draenei. Durotan and Orgrim had spent that night in a draenei city and even eaten dinner with the Prophet Velen, leader of all draenei. Since this war with the draenei began, Durotan had been the most outspoken orc against it. The leadership of the Horde did not trust him and he knew it. Of all the chieftains at the gathering, Durotan looked the least tired. His Frostwolf clan lived in Nagrand and was the closest to Oshu'gun, so had the least distance to travel for the Kosh'harg festival.

"Must we wait much longer?" came the voice of Kargath Bladefist, Chieftain of the Shattered Hand clan from the southern Spires of Arak. His pale skin and long black hair stood out among all the other orcs. His appearance had come from a lifetime of working in the ogres' slave mines. Kargath had taken his name from the revolt he held in those mines, where he cut off his own hand to break free of his chains and attached a scythe to the stump. The orcs who rallied behind him and freed themselves of the ogres became the Shattered Hand.

Kilrogg Deadeye, the last chieftain to gather, scoffed at Kargath's impatience. Kilrogg was an old, old orc ancient, in fact. He and his Bleeding Hollow clan lived in the Tanaan Jungle on a peninsula to the east. The Bleeding Hollow's chieftain had long ago torn out one of his eyes to receive visions of the future, a rite of passage for all chiefs of the clan. The Bleeding Hollow fighters were fanatical berserkers, and no orc ever wanted to face one on the battlefield. But even he, with his gift of sight, could not see why the chieftains of these clans had gathered.

At last, Grom Hellscream stood up. He eyed each of the other orcs in turn, even Orgrim Doomhammer in the back, and began to speak.

"I received a visit last night from a stranger," he said, "a prophet. He tells me that the ways of the warlock are not for us." The other orcs looked around at each other warily before Grom continued. "He claims that following the path Gul'dan will lead us down will bring the orcs pain victory, yes, but also enslavement. Enslavement to a force that Gul'dan is already controlled by."

The others said nothing. They, too, had noted how Gul'dan's rich brown skin had become a sickly green, how he had seemed withered and ancient despite being younger than any of them, and how his eyes glowed a fierce red. The warlock had insisted that it was a small price to pay for the powers he had been given, but no one had been comfortable with his changed appearance.

"How do you know you can trust this 'prophet?'" Durotan asked Grom. His voice sounded hopeful. Everyone there knew he wanted a way out of the fight with the draenei.

Grom smiled. "The prophet has shown me another way to power. He brought with him drawing, designs, of brilliant machinery. Things unlike any I had ever seen. With these, we could easily overpower the draenei, and we would not fall to Gul'dan's treachery!"

Durotan looked crestfallen. So the orcs intended to continue the fight, warlocks or no.

"Blackhand," Grom said, "your people live in the mountains. Gorgrond is rich in resources. With your help, we could build this machinery. We can win this war!"

Blackhand's eyes sparkled at the possibilities. "If this is true, then we will gain power without enslavement," he said. "Hellscream, I must see these blueprints, but I find that I am quite interested in this plan of yours."

Grom chuckled and pulled out rolled up parchments from his pack. He opened them and tossed them onto the ground, where the fire illuminated them. The orcs all retrieved one each to read what was on them, to see this strange prophet's designs. Durotan heard Kargath chuckle in approval, while Blackhand with Orgrim reading over his shoulder nodded and smiled.

Durotan himself paled. The machine blueprint he had picked up detailed a machine called a 'cannon.' With fire and gunpowder it would destroy buildings and blow holes in bodies. This was not the orcish way!

"I approve," said Kilrogg Deadeye. The other chieftains save Durotan followed in agreement. They all turned to look at the young Frostwolf leader then, and he shook his head and sighed.

"I will not have any part of this," he said. "I am tired of facing a foe that will not fight back."

"You would turn your back on your own people?" Grom asked.

"The Frostwolves are my people. If we must go far away to avoid the fighting, then so be it. I will lead my clan to the mountains in the north. Let you fools live with this this 'Iron Horde' you will create." Durotan stormed off, casting one last glance at his old friend Orgrim. Orgrim averted his gaze, and Durotan sighed.

'Iron Horde' Despite Durotan's reaction, something about that name clicked with Grom. He snarled. "Very well, Frostwolf clan, but this Iron Horde will take what is ours. Know that you cannot escape the war." He looked around at the remaining orcs as he began to speak, pride swelling in his voice.

"War it is the lifeblood of this world. We are its children; soon, its masters." He smiled, and in the firelight his eyes looked red. "Ours is a legacy of conquest! A rising tide of blood and iron that will wash over this world, and all others!"

Slowly, the other orcs stood up, and Grom Hellscream let loose a bloodcurdling cry that did justice to his name.

"Our bond is iron. Our will unbreakable. Who will stand against us?"

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.

Last edited by Reignac; 12-04-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 PM

Eternal

I like it
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 PM

Eternal

Hey guys its me again

How do you guys come up with your names?

Right now I am seriously spending time making a very amateurish fantasy work and the names are one of the most interesting part for me.

For some parts I am shamelessly ripping off tolkien and his elvish while on others I am being rather sneaky

For example

The dark woods are called Lesjvosk which is a comparison for Transylvania

Transylvania actually stands for beyond the woods or through the woods, Trans/through Sylvania/woods

So for Lesjvosk I wen for spanish and did Lejos/Far and bosque/Forest so with some adjustments we have the final name

Whereas with the NotAztecDwarves I went with the Kachopetl becuase Kach sounds... dwarvish somehow and the Popocatepetl is one bigass mountain so mixing them ended up with that name

For the Volcanic dwarves I went with Magkadrak since Mag is from magma and kadrak sounds... dwarvish aye?

Im curious what is the naming process for you guys, maybe I could shake my things up
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:18 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck View Post
Hey guys its me again

How do you guys come up with your names?

Right now I am seriously spending time making a very amateurish fantasy work and the names are one of the most interesting part for me.

For some parts I am shamelessly ripping off tolkien and his elvish while on others I am being rather sneaky

For example

The dark woods are called Lesjvosk which is a comparison for Transylvania

Transylvania actually stands for beyond the woods or through the woods, Trans/through Sylvania/woods

So for Lesjvosk I wen for spanish and did Lejos/Far and bosque/Forest so with some adjustments we have the final name

Whereas with the NotAztecDwarves I went with the Kachopetl becuase Kach sounds... dwarvish somehow and the Popocatepetl is one bigass mountain so mixing them ended up with that name

For the Volcanic dwarves I went with Magkadrak since Mag is from magma and kadrak sounds... dwarvish aye?

Im curious what is the naming process for you guys, maybe I could shake my things up
I try to be true to the race of the character so i'll always go for some words that could be of their language. But I also take racial history into account. Some people may be named after heroes of old or after values that particular group of people believe in. Or it could be a name that runs in the family and that is where it finds significance.

One process i went through is for a typical human character of noble blood. You can already assume that this individual has a pretty generic and boring name even though it is one that does carry some weight in society. So in order to spice things up a little bit and add some mystery, i decided it was appropriate to have this persons name be somewhat part of his character. So this individual introduces himself to everyone by a different name. To add another dynamic I sometimes have the characters he interacts with refer to him by a nickname of their choosing. Just to subtly point out how someone who rejects his name for an unspecified reason has his other name rejected by other people.

Also Bells of Stormwind is almost done. I'll give a fair warning though. It is not supposed to make any sense at all.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:41 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

In case it's not obvious, I'm trying to get the Where Angels Fear to Tread story turned around to a point where there is an actual driving plot. I surmise one of the major reasons interest in this story has dropped off so dramatically since it began is that nothing is really happening or being accomplished, and I'm trying to fix that. I have several distinct paths you might descend from the present circumstances, but these paths may only be taken by dynamic action. To that end, I require more meaningful commands and suggestions than what you want our protagonist to wear. Try looking more intently for story hooks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:44 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
I have to ask. What kind of fan works would any of you find fun to read?
Well mostly the things that have few to do with the current direction.

For example there has been a trend in which stories that have little to no bearing to the faction war are well recieved, better yet if they deal with previous lore

Example the Black Riders, it explored the new race (worgen) and a untended mystery that rooted to WC2/WC1/WC3 (whatever it predates wow >_>)

There is the other comic of the centaurs and the horde, I forget the name but case in point it deals with the lifestyle and morality of the small players of each faction.

In short I guess that I want to see the perspective from the low grunt, the guy who actually breaks his back fighting the war and dealing with personal loss for reasons they dont really understand, fighting for profit more than an ideal since they have to make a living

Speaking of, would anyone be interested in a "chose your own adventure" adventure in a setting completely unrelated to the Warcraft franchise? I mean sure it has orcs, humans and dwarves but it also has flying ships, magitek, crocodile men, a variety of cultures per races and a good opportunity for me to answer questions that I perhaps had not explored yet >_>

Old 05-03-2014, 02:35 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Who would be up for a short-story contest? It could happen and there would be a prize but I would need to see if there's enough people interested first.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Who would be up for a short-story contest? It could happen and there would be a prize but I would need to see if there's enough people interested first.
Sure, why not.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:59 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
I'll give it a shot.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-23-2014, 06:11 PM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Samael#1487

Quote:
I'd be interested. I wrote one a while back the hopes Blizz would have another contest; but since it looks like they're not going to, I need something to do with it.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:17 PM

The sneaky Mechanic

Quote:
Count me in
Old 06-09-2014, 12:01 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I'm down.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:18 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Loot Bag

Throwaway Deadmines yarn with all the old bosses like Van Cleef and Mr. Smite, yes pls.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:28 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Explain yourself.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-11-2014, 04:12 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Ore You there! Check out that noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Explain yourself.
Think it would be cool to have a bunch of dungeon short-stories, like the leaders ones that were made. Like ten different dungeons from World of Warcraft's history telling a short story there. Shadowfang Keep. Blackrock Depths. Karazhan (though to be fair The Last Guardian kinda covers that one.) Even have some that give definitive, canonical accounts of how some of those places actually ended. Like a Zul'Aman story that's all about what happened to Zul'jin and not the Budd Neddreck joke stuff we got in-game. Just basically the Leader stories were a really good idea by Blizzard and it would be super-cool to see more of them about other things like villains and dungeons.

Kinda doodling some stuff in notepad in the Deadmines just because I think that place is like the coolest dungeon ever and its kinda funny just trying to imagine what the everyday day-to-day life must have been like building that Juggernaut. You've got the crazy murloc cook who everyone there calls Captain as a joke! A bunch of goblins constantly hammering around all the time. Also did you read the crazy conspiracy theory that Mr. Smite is still alive(!?) And Edwin too. Just trying to think what kinda person he would have been like. He's someone that he really would have bombarded the city he helped to build with his colossal iron warship. What is that kind of person like? Kinda seeing him as a good person turned into a bitter radical/terrorist. Thinking Law Abiding Citizen and the Gunpowder Plot here. Plus personally, and I don't know about anyone else, I think he must surely have been a very dashing-looking man. Trying to write about Edwin's grand conspiracy to blow up Stormwind.

Probably won't come to anything, but its a fun mental exercise.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:27 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Lightbulb

I was writing to get ideas out of my head again, and there was nowhere else to post this, so sorry if it shouldn't be here. Basically, I got really inspired about what I wanted to do with a character in a story I've decided not to write. It was really annoying. In any case, I wrote up a character description to put the ideas somewhere. This character got her start as a bit part in Travels through Azeroth and Outland which I was going to copy over into A Brave New World as a tribute. Therefore, Destron deserves credit for inspiration. However, as she took on a life of her own, there were a few characteristics that got cranked up to eleven. I guess I don't do subtlety in my characters.

Class: Hunter
Race: Draenei (ashem)
Sex: Female
Name: Balaa
While she prefers to introduce herself as "the last Rangari," her combination of abysmal hygiene and willingness to eat raw food has prompted persistent murmurs of "Balaa the Animal" behind her back.

Appearance
Balaa has a pale complexion and a face that might have looked regal had history been different. A thousand tiny scars dot her face and forearms, the result of a lifetime of running at speed through dense thickets. Her left horn looks as if it was violently torn from her skull. Though the grisly injury has long-since scarred over, the bald indentation left in her scalp still has the power to shock the unprepared. The last few inches of her tail are missing, and she occasionally suffers phantom pain in this area. The rest of Balaa's appearance is harshly utilitarian. Her hair is chopped short and left unstyled, its silver color dulled to yellow by the eternity that separates it from its last washing. Her simple clothes are worn nearly to rags, but she doesn't seem to notice. Aside from her equipment, the only possession that seems cared for is a brass emblem of the Light's Vanguard. Though frequently in combat zones, Balaa's only concession to safety is an ill-fitting vest of boiled leather.

Kit/Fighting Style
Balaa's primary weapon is a rifle of Draenei make, almost always fired from under cover. It is an antique by modern standards, but its rugged design is the superior choice for an advance scout who may go months without resupply. She is highly attached to her rifle, and often speaks to it. Balaa also carries a number of small knives for close-quarters work, though she avoids this if at all possible. These knives may be thrown in a pinch. Balaa generally avoids making her presence known until she has no other choice. As as scout, she is almost always alone and badly outnumbered. If cornered, however, she fights with a feral savagery to match any Night Elf. Most people find this deeply disturbing behavior for a Draenei. Having already suffered a fate worse than death, Balaa is both selfless and fearless.

Personality/Role
Balaa's personality is shaped by long periods spent alone. Virtually all of her thinking is done out loud, and she is always surprised when someone interrupts or corrects her reasoning. Balaa is "recovered" in the sense of being a productive member of society, but has long since resigned herself of ever recovering her ability to form empathic bonds. Though she now embraces what she has become, Balaa avoids contact with other Draenei. They remind her of what she once was, and their presence fills her with shame. Whenever possible, Balaa seeks the company of Night Elves, though virtually any non-Draenei will do. The exception is Orcs, who make her uncomfortable. She has forgiven them enough to not hold grudges against individuals, but the trauma runs so deep that full recovery is unlikely -- even in her extended lifetime.

A key factor in Balaa's recovery has been her devout faith in the Light, which she has learned to practice in the non-Draenei way. She frequently remarks that, no matter how far she may roam or how long she may be apart from others, she will always be part of the Light. It's almost like she's trying to convince herself...
  • It is her habit to wear the same outfit day and night for the entire time she is in the field. In fact, she does not wash her clothes or herself except out of courtesy to others in barracks.
  • Balaa often rubs dirt on her face for camouflage. The only way it leaves is by wearing off.
  • Balaa keeps her Vaguard emblem hidden in a pocket most of the time, but always pins it on just before engaging the enemy.

In story, Balaa fills a role as either "disgusting homeless chick with a heart of gold" or "survivalist badass," depending on the scene. In either role, she is someone you're happy to have on your side -- just not standing too close.

Personal History
Balaa grew up in the town of Tuurem in Talador. By chance alone, she was one of the few survivors of the massacre. Upon escaping to Shattrath, she volunteered for service, her knowledge of the area landing her a position as a Rangari. Though her tiny unit engaged in a protracted guerrilla campaign against the Horde, they were unable to prevent the destruction of every major Draenei population center. Cut off from resupply, they were slowly picked off one by one. Finally, only Balaa was left. Years passed. Draenor became Outland.

Ten years later, Balaa stumbled across other Draenei survivors in Zangarmarsh. They attempted to "rescue" and reintegrate her, but the damage had been done. Balaa was ashem -- cut off from her race's empathic gestalt. However, they found her ability to operate alone for extended periods was invaluable to the cloistered refugees -- as was her knowledge of the wilds. These abilities earned her a place on Velen's hand-picked strike force to retake the Exodar. After the crash, she proved her worth hunting for lost and/or injured survivors scattered across the Azuremyst Isles.

Later, she served as a scout against the islands' local threats; and then in Ashenvale, where she saw considerable action during Garrosh's War. Ironically, it was this contact with non-Draenei that proved to be the critical factor in allowing a partial recovery from her trauma. Finding the Sentinels to be kindred spirits to the Rangari she once knew, Balaa adopted their ways as part of a new identity for herself. Her service the Alliance ended only when the Alliance did, its remnants merging into the Convocation of Light. She now serves as one of the best scouts the Light's Vanguard has -- the kind top officers ask for by name. When a certain two children get lost in the wilderness, Balaa is on a very short list of those trusted to return them swiftly and safely.

Notes:
  • Balaa needs a pet to replace Shekan. She talks to this pet more than her rifle.
  • Balaa was going to make her grand entrance by diving in front of the kids just as the bad guy threw a grenade at them and kicking it right back at him -- in mid-air.
  • I had also toyed with idea of having Balaa squat down and relieve herself right in front of the kids, but that might be too edgy.

Am I nuts, or just the usual?
Old 01-27-2015, 05:15 PM

Echo of the Past

You know what? We should invent a fleet of vanilla smugglers/pirates, and all of us should contribute a fancharacter to the crew.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
You know what? We should invent a fleet of vanilla smugglers/pirates, and all of us should contribute a fancharacter to the crew.
You have my keyboard.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
You have my keyboard.
We should take one of our WoW characters each, and edit our backstories so that we all knew each other at some point.

Because it's Sueish to have your characters know famous people in their backstories... but if they lived actual lives, then they have to know some people. These people can be other fancharacters.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:51 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
You got me. I recently joined (& sorta failed, but sorta succeeded) at the recent "Short Story" venture over at the Hive, and it whetted my whistle about that kinda thing. Sorta. If I can come up with an idea & force myself to start. :<

Riting iz hart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
I was writing to get ideas out of my head again, and there was nowhere else to post this, so sorry if it shouldn't be here. ...

Am I nuts, or just the usual?
The usual (nuts). But a really excellent write-up; I feel compelled to know more about this character.

~~~

Quote:
Quote:
You have my keyboard.
And *my* mouse!

Quote:
We should take one of our WoW characters each, ....
Question: I teleported bread I do not have WoW (characters). Thoughts?

Make It Up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
I like this guy.
Check me out at Wc3C; I'm a lot more active. (Well, mentally at least. THW is another good place)

Also check out my two projects:
- ~Custom Race Project~
- ~Neutral Hero Additions~
Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
You got me. I recently joined (& sorta failed, but sorta succeeded) at the recent "Short Story" venture over at the Hive, and it whetted my whistle about that kinda thing. Sorta. If I can come up with an idea & force myself to start. :<

Riting iz hart.
Writing is like anything else: the more you do it the easier it gets. Set aside a few hours per week and write about whatever. It doesn't have to be stories.
Quote:
The usual (nuts). But a really excellent write-up; I feel compelled to know more about this character.
So was I. Hence my frustration about the cancelled story concept. Maybe I will write it someday. I'd just have to finish Book I first, which is realistically only going to happen after the completion of Dispatches and an original project. Oh well.
Quote:
Question: I teleported bread I do not have WoW (characters). Thoughts?

Make It Up?
Not only do I have no WoW characters, I've taken a vow to never touch the game. Doesn't stop me from writing about it. I'm afraid work is keeping me too busy to play around with anything but "serious" projects, though.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:20 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
Writing is like anything else: the more you do it the easier it gets. Set aside a few hours per week and write about whatever. It doesn't have to be stories.
Yeah, yeah, I know... *sigh*. It's just like I keep telling my (would-be author) wife; "write every day", so it can become a habit/hobby/job.

Same with piano lessons (could self-teach & practice), singing (could practice more), drawing lessons (could practice), coding/programming (could practice with Wc3 Modding), modeling (could practice)...

And here I sit, typing away at Internet forums. :<

Hey, does that count for writing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Not only do I have no WoW characters, I've taken a vow to never touch the game. Doesn't stop me from writing about it. I'm afraid work is keeping me too busy to play around with anything but "serious" projects, though.
That's funny; I was the same way for a while (still am, but considering giving in & cracking open the free copy I have). How do you know so much about the game, then (since surely you didn't learn anything from this cesspool : P)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
I like this guy.
Check me out at Wc3C; I'm a lot more active. (Well, mentally at least. THW is another good place)

Also check out my two projects:
- ~Custom Race Project~
- ~Neutral Hero Additions~

Tags
creative, generalization