Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 08-15-2005, 07:00 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Ore WarCraft II Alpha!

W00t! I still have a copy of this which I recently dug up off an old zip disk. So here it is:
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/warlock/ALPHA.zip

Some instructions:
First off, this *does* run in Windows XP. What you will have to check however is the sound settings (run "setup.exe"). It will not run if sound is improperly configured and because this is so old, newer cards with no SB Pro/16/etc emulation will not be able to run sound. If this is the case for you, just run setup.exe and choose no sound for SFX and music. Then the game will run even though you don't get sound.

Second, if you want to run the map editor you need to extract the wing32.zip file into your Windows/system32 directory. If you already have this file you're good.

Other than that, enjoy! I'll put this in a more permenant location on the site when all that stuff is up.

Last edited by Warlock; 08-16-2005 at 11:15 AM..
Old 08-15-2005, 09:08 AM

That's awesome man! I haven't played war2 in ages, there is going to be serious nostalgia(sp?) here.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:19 AM

Ranger

Well, it don't seem to work under windows 2000... or it's the config of my VDMsound...
Is there any difference speaking about graphics?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:20 AM

Keeper of Lore

I tried it with VDMsound and had all kinds of problems. Try running setup and turning sound off completely. That might work.

And yeah, there are a few differences.. for one, you harvest Ore (by chopping mountains) as another resource The graphics are similar but different in many cases (a lot are less detailed and stuff). Some units and tech trees also function differently.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...5055/alpha.htm

Check out that page (my ancient ancient website on the game) for some details. And yes, I know the page is crap. It was like 1997 afterall.

Last edited by Warlock; 08-17-2005 at 10:22 AM..
Old 08-17-2005, 11:06 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock
I tried it with VDMsound and had all kinds of problems. Try running setup and turning sound off completely. That might work.

And yeah, there are a few differences.. for one, you harvest Ore (by chopping mountains) as another resource The graphics are similar but different in many cases (a lot are less detailed and stuff). Some units and tech trees also function differently.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...5055/alpha.htm

Check out that page (my ancient ancient website on the game) for some details. And yes, I know the page is crap. It was like 1997 afterall.
All right, it worked, thank you. Another problem was that the dos window must be in fullscreen before the game launches. But now the mouse is trapped in a square in a corner of the screen. I had this problem with my normal war2, but I could fix it in the config files. And here in the Alpha the config files are strange *.WAR files
Well, I could play it, but in this square and with warcraft1 controls, it's VERY hard :p
And thank for the link too, I like this kind of site. For the info you put in it, not the look :p
Old 08-17-2005, 11:37 AM

Keeper of Lore

Yeah, try running it from the DOS command prompt rather than launching the program from its War2.exe.. that might help.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:42 AM

Keeper of Lore

I forgot to mention, the speed might be off. It seems to start you off at one of the slowest play speeds (this has nothing to do with it being a DOS program). What you can do to fix this is use the + & - keys to adjust the speed up or down (note: it's the -/_ & +/= keys at the top of the keyboard like WoW uses for spells.. my keyboard also has +/- on the right side and these didn't seem to do anything).
Old 09-04-2005, 09:24 AM

Keeper of Lore

Map Alpha Screenshots up

Ok, I have been meaning to upload these all night but my $@#!ing internet was jacked all night (right in the middle of LBRS too.. pissed me off.. I was getting like a 6000 ping and stuff would update about one second every 10 minutes -_-). Anyways, I played some Alpha and got some screenies. You can find them here:
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/gallery...s.php?album=48

There are a butt-load so enjoy I'll take some more of the Orc Campaign later.. after I sleep.. oh, and there are shots of the map editor in there too.

I should point out that some of the graphics are different than what originally came with the game (and I've fixed the ZIP file I uploaded to how it should be too). What happened was way back when I actually modified the unused graphics for the hell of it. Essentially they were all WarCraft 1 sprites, but they were using the wrong palette and I fixed that. So they will look all pretty on the screenshots but they should look like shit in the real map editor.. my bad It's Blizzard's own fault they are in there to begin with though. They literally wrote OVER WarCraft 1 to make this game. In fact, you will find graphics and text from WarCraft 1 in the RETAIL version if you look. There's just more of it here It's funny too, because if you make a map in the editor and replace one of the campaign missions with it (only way to play them) the "Death Knight" which is really a War 1 Warlock will have all his spells like Poison Cloud and such. I don't believe he can summon Demons though. That and some of the others don't work. But Poison Cloud does

And btw, yes, player 3's color was PINK. Hot gay fusia pink. Player 8 was Brown too which should have been cool but it wasn't. It was all ugly lookin.. they changed that to yellow I guess Not sure if that was much of an improvement

P.S. - if you're wondering how I suddenly became rich in the second map, yes I cheated. The Alpha missions are gay as hell and have insanely limited resources. If you don't steal every gold mine in the map within like 10 minutes expect to run out of cash. Oh, and I was out of Oil. Alpha has this lovely little system. You see, Oil Tankers cost oil to make. What a brilliant %@#@ing idea! It's like trying to make peons without gold.. only gold is not some gay resource that is only found in water, and not just any water, special water... *sigh*

P.S.S. - I still think Minelayer would have been a friggin' cool ship. I guess its use would have been too limited though (do you really build that many ships that you need to lay mines?)

Last edited by Warlock; 09-04-2005 at 09:35 AM..
Old 09-04-2005, 03:13 PM

Treant

z00t! First thing I'm downloading when I get back from work .

That's awesome, Warlock !
Old 09-05-2005, 01:08 AM

Critter

...sad..
I cant play it. I open and it says my OS is unable to run DOS....
/cry
/hug (No target)
/bite
Old 09-05-2005, 02:54 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Echoes
...sad..
I cant play it. I open and it says my OS is unable to run DOS....
/cry
/hug (No target)
/bite
Huh?
What's your OS?
It seems to work well with windows 2000 and XP...
BTW, great job, Warlock, I love your World Edit screenies :p
Old 09-06-2005, 06:20 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Default Well well well ...

Amazing , but isnt this pirating ?

Thats is really really cool !
Old 11-18-2005, 01:04 AM

Druid of the Talon

Well technically the game was never released in this form

And you know, those screenies on your site of the WC1 units in action make me think of gnomes!
Old 12-17-2005, 10:30 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

I still remember the horrors of the final human mssion in war1. *shudders*
Old 12-18-2005, 01:51 AM

Chimaera

i cant use it either, im running on Mac OSX. =(
Old 11-15-2006, 08:49 PM

Druid of the Claw
Send a message via AIM to Kastrien

wouldnt work for me
but i still have all the original discs
warcraft1 through WoW

WoW- Name: Deviath & Kastrien Server- Azgalor Alliance
Warcraft III - US East Account: Kastrien
Warcraft II - US East Account: Kastrien
Old 04-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Mountain Giant
Send a message via MSN to yakashamonian Send a message via Yahoo to yakashamonian

Hey I can't try it out right now I'll try on older computer, but does it have the expansion with it too?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:16 AM

Arch-Druid

Well, this thread is pretty old, but I only saw it yesterday. After playing the alpha a bit, I was determined to play the retail version again since I have the disc still.

If any of you are on Windows XP and still have your Warcraft 2 discs, this site has a pretty painless method for being able to play it:

http://www.doctort.org/adam/nerd-not...tep-guide.html

I was playing again last night. Sweet nostalgia

Sorry if this is old news!
Old 09-05-2009, 08:25 PM

Elune

Same as Rashid. What are the differences between this and the actual one released? Is there a page on here telling you the different units, missions, etc?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:33 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Who dares post in the ALPHA THREAD!
Old 09-06-2009, 04:37 AM

Elune

:points at Rashid: