Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 09-13-2018, 03:30 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
I'm starting to see why this place is such an empty echo chamber nowadays.
It was a right-wing echo chamber before. Once there were opposing voices, the righties couldn't behave themselves and got a couple of slaps on the wrist, so they cried and left.
Member #14
Old 09-14-2018, 07:31 AM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
It was a right-wing echo chamber before. Once there were opposing voices, the righties couldn't behave themselves and got a couple of slaps on the wrist, so they cried and left.
There's opinionated discourse and then there's the outright hypocrisy and yellow journalism being peddled here. Hammer had no self control and couldn't keep his attitude or his memeing in check, but the rest of you are turning out no better when it comes to dealing with someone who has a different opinion.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:33 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Don't start with that bullshit. People who think the orcs have no naval heritage or natural seafaring aptitude (or that Daelin Proudmoore was some kind of Horatio Nelson) are a pack of ignorant, johnny-come-latelys who hadn't paid attention to Warcraft lore until YEARS after WoW had begun, and they are poison.

I have been drinking a small amount of alcohol and a ludicrous amount of caffeine tonight. Second War!
Old 09-17-2018, 05:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Don't start with that bullshit. People who think the orcs have no naval heritage or natural seafaring aptitude (or that Daelin Proudmoore was some kind of Horatio Nelson) are a pack of ignorant, johnny-come-latelys who hadn't paid attention to Warcraft lore until YEARS after WoW had begun, and they are poison.

I have been drinking a small amount of alcohol and a ludicrous amount of caffeine tonight. Second War!
Ah I've missed you man. Glad to see you still check this place now and again. I am not a fan of the discord either, can't hold a good discussion on it (ironically). Lets hope Warlock moves and fixes site issues when the license with this awful host runs out as he mentioned. Take care and next year on SoL and all that
Old 09-19-2018, 03:18 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
There's opinionated discourse and then there's the outright hypocrisy and yellow journalism being peddled here. Hammer had no self control and couldn't keep his attitude or his memeing in check, but the rest of you are turning out no better when it comes to dealing with someone who has a different opinion.
All the other conservatives decided to get all pissy about Hammer and left. Now most of them are gone and the liberals are left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:23 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
All the other conservatives decided to get all pissy about Hammer and left.
I'm okay with that. This subforum is remarkably far more civil than it was before when it was a right-wing echo chamber.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:47 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I'm okay with that. This subforum is remarkably far more civil than it was before when it was a right-wing echo chamber.
I'll touch base again in 2024 to see if I still count as a conservative.

(I doubt the Democrats will actually run Oprah Winfree in 2020, so I don't see them beating our current trollmaster.)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

There's better things to do than talk about real world politics in what should dominantly be a video game forum and anything opposite of leftism isn't welcome here anyway, so why bother?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:00 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
and anything opposite of leftism isn't welcome here anyway, so why bother?
It appears you are confusing "anything opposite of leftism" with "anything opposite of basic civility and human decency." There are still conservatives here voicing their opinions.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
It appears you are confusing "anything opposite of leftism" with "anything opposite of basic civility and human decency."
Nope.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:27 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Nope.
Yep.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:55 AM

Elune

Quote:
Yep.
Nope.

Quote:
All the other conservatives decided to get all pissy about Hammer and left. Now most of them are gone and the liberals are left
And the head admin being abusive towards members to the point of harassment. And people posting about shooting right wingers with no action taken.

And.
And.
And.

Last edited by Ruinshin; 09-28-2018 at 08:02 AM..
Old 09-30-2018, 02:12 PM

Echo of the Past

So, who is it that left specifically because of Hammer's ban? Wasn't it just one guy?
Old 09-30-2018, 08:42 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success

For those without access, you can look at this imgur post.

One Man’s Millions Turn a Community in Florida Around

Similarly, here is an image that led me to look up the above story!

These are a bit old, but certainly more data points for subsidizing publicly beneficial products.

Quote:
I'm starting to see why this place is such an empty echo chamber nowadays.
Well it's not my fault there aren't conservatives yelling at me for yelling at them for being evil.

As a reminder, here is the esteemed US police forces:

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.

Last edited by Millenia; 09-30-2018 at 08:54 PM..
Old 10-03-2018, 02:37 AM

Echo of the Past

Undead Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success

For those without access, you can look at this imgur post.

One Man’s Millions Turn a Community in Florida Around

Similarly, here is an image that led me to look up the above story!

These are a bit old, but certainly more data points for subsidizing publicly beneficial products.

Well it's not my fault there aren't conservatives yelling at me for yelling at them for being evil.
Well, your second set of links had a relatively conservative slant. It's sending that "power of charity" message, which is traditionally a conservative answer to "government handouts".

EDIT: But seriously, if anyone wants another lively discussion about whether sectionalism and the states' rights mentality/culture were prerequisites for creating the American Civil War (the former being required for slavery to even be a divisive issue itself), I am still totally game. "The Bonnie Blue Flag" song is actually an excellent study here.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 10-03-2018 at 02:57 AM..
Old 10-03-2018, 03:14 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
So, who is it that left specifically because of Hammer's ban? Wasn't it just one guy?
Yaska and Drusus.

PJ left for other reasons.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Well, your second set of links had a relatively conservative slant. It's sending that "power of charity" message, which is traditionally a conservative answer to "government handouts".
It can be interpreted liberally to mean "what if the government invested in stuff?" After all, all government spending outstrips any and all forms of charity.

You can give people money and they can do wonderful things with it.

Thing is, rich people who aren't evil or stupid (or ideological, which may be some mix of the former two) are very, very rare.

Especially when you have all the rich people in the Trump administration who are more concerned with lining their pockets (ineffectually though it may be in Trump's case) and making things worse for everyone else rather than run the government.

Quote:
EDIT: But seriously, if anyone wants another lively discussion about whether sectionalism and the states' rights mentality/culture were prerequisites for creating the American Civil War (the former being required for slavery to even be a divisive issue itself), I am still totally game. "The Bonnie Blue Flag" song is actually an excellent study here.
Go ahead, I'm interested. Can't say I'd provide a lively discussion about it, since I don't think I know much about what you're talking about.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:47 AM

Elune

Chuck Grassley mentioned Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas as people who were unfairly blocked from getting on the Supreme Court, in his speech against Democrats who were opposing Kavanaugh's nomination.

Here is Bork's Wikipedia page.

"President Reagan nominated Bork for associate justice of the Supreme Court on July 1, 1987, to replace retiring Associate Justice Lewis Powell. A hotly contested United States Senate debate over Bork's nomination ensued. Opposition was partly fueled by civil rights and women's rights groups, concerned about Bork's opposition to the authority claimed by the federal government to impose standards of voting fairness upon states (at his confirmation hearings for the position of solicitor general, he supported the rights of Southern states to impose a poll tax),[21] and his stated desire to roll back civil rights decisions of the Warren and Burger courts"

This is the hill national Republicans want to die on. Now if only the voters and Democrats had the balls to give them what they want.

As for Kavanaugh, reminder that he said this:

"This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election. Fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record. Revenge on behalf of the Clintons. and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.

This is a circus. The consequences will extend long past my nomination. The consequences will be with us for decades. This grotesque and coordinated character assassination will dissuade competent and good people of all political persuasions, from serving our country.

And as we all know, in the United States political system of the early 2000s, what goes around comes around."

There's no way this guy isn't anything but a partisan hack. If Republicans want him, they should just stop pretending they want an unbiased court.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 10-05-2018, 10:51 AM

Elune

Obvious other issues aside, the boy clearly hates freedom and the Constitution.
https://epic.org/privacy/kavanaugh/
http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/08/ju...ecurity-cases/
He has repeatedly supported and even ruled in favor of mass surveillance and indefinite detention of American citizens. There's something fucky going on with his potential support of torture programs as well.
Unfortunately, hating America technically isn't something that bars you from having a SCOTUS seat.
Member #14
Old 10-06-2018, 10:06 PM

Elune

Old 10-07-2018, 01:24 PM

Elune

The same Susan Collins that called for Al Franken's resignation? Hmmmm. It's almost like every single Republican is a partisan hack.
Member #14
Old 10-07-2018, 02:02 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

My opinion on the Kavanaugh case basically falls down to this:

All in all, both pro-Kavanaugh and anti-Kavanaugh claims are valid evidences. However, the senators failed at their job of cross-examining Kavanaugh's claims, and both their inquiry and their arguments were found lacking.

Last edited by Krainz; 10-07-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Old 10-07-2018, 03:07 PM

Elune

It's too bad hating America and wanting to shred the Constitution isn't something that bars you from being a Supreme Court justice.
Member #14
Old 10-08-2018, 02:41 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
It's too bad hating America and wanting to shred the Constitution isn't something that bars you from being a Supreme Court justice.
Well, at least he's got you covered for expanding gun rights.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Well, at least he's got you covered for expanding gun rights.
He's got that going for him, yeah, but that's about it. I doubt he'll expand anything, though. Right-wing politicians have made it pretty clear that their idea of expanding/supporting gun rights is to just slow their erosion.
Member #14

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president