Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default Let's build Pandaria: ideas for the continent of Pandaria

This thread is supposed to be a collaborative effort to create a fanfiction of sorts on how Pandaria could look. For everything from creatures to vegetation, cities and geography.

Portrayed like this, you'd think it's madness, and such a work is an impossible feat. Whatever, if you feel better, treat this thread as "ideas for Pandaria" thread, and we could try to compile everything after we have a good pack of ideas.

And if not, we'd simply leave this as just another theorycrafting or ideas brainstorming, as pretty much all the other threads around .

I'll start with my ideas for the leading races in the isle-continent: Aqir and Pandaren (don't say you weren't expecting it xDDD).

Aqir

The aqiri are a race of humanoid insects that live in the southern area of Pandaria. They walk upright like men, two legs and two arms, and wear loose long ants as a hair of sorts. Sixteen thousand years ago, the world of Azeroth witnessed one of its most terrible battles, when the armies of aqir and troll clashed across Old Kalimdor, bringing and end to an age of peace. The aqiri lost, and while the different groups of survivors adapted to their new homes, the aqiri from the capital of the empire stood impassive to the war, and survived loyal to their past.

Underground in their rebuilt secret hidden city, the aqiri lived in peace for six thousand years, until the Sundering shattered the world and tore their lands apart from the rest of Old Kalimdor. The land above their city had become a island-continent, isolated from the rest of the world.

But they soon discovered they were not alone, for those who had made the former aqiri lands their home had survived the cataclysm, and were now claiming sovereign of the isle-continent for themselves alone. And they who called themselves pandaren wouldn't like to share.

Pandaren

The pandaren are a race of bear-like humanoids, descendants from the furbolgs. Fourteen thousand years ago, a group of furbolgs and trolls awakened the powers of the Well of the Eternity, transforming into pandaren and night elves respectively. Rejected by their former brothers, both races built themselves a life around the magic well. However, night elves grew reckless with the powers of the well, and the pandaren decided to leave them and build themselves a new home, far from the danger the night elves had become for them and themselves.

And on the far west, they lived in peace for four thousand years, until the Sundering shattered the world and tore their lands apart from the rest of Old Kalimdor. They found their lands had become a island-continent, and named it Pandaria.

However, the cataclysm had awoken other creatures from down the earth. The aqiri, thought to be an old shadow of the past, were all but extinct, and their resources were as scarce as theirs.

Well, that's all for now. More on other things like fauna and flora next day. Feel free to give you own ideas, no matter if they contradict others or not .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 PM

Eternal

I believe Pandaria might be an expansion. I asume there are atleast going to be 3 more expansions untill level 100. Perhaps Emerald Dream (use it to heal the cataclysm damage?), Pandaria (explore the world) and Legion worlds etc (kill Sargeras).

Of course the Pandaren would be there. And I really like the idea of the Aqir being there to. I think Pandaria should be Blizzards take on Asia. With a mountain range like Himalaya, great steppes, bamboo forests, rainforests filled with ruins etc.

Pandaria would be a whole continent and there would be a titan facility in a rainforest in the center of it. And deep under the earth would an Old God rest and be the main villian (who could be related to the Aqir).

Just some ideas. This is a great opportunity to use our ideas within the "Enviroments" thread too. Bamboo forest, great canyon, floating islands, that Cataclysm concept art with the asian dragons etc and a great steppe etc.
If there are Titans there then they could have indian architecture and inspiration from hinduism (like Ulduar is greek architecture with norse gods, and Uldum ancient egypt) .
Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

I know Pandaren are now Chinese-based rather than Japanese, but I would love to see a Yamata-no-Orochi-like quest line, with all the druken-dragon-killing and saving the princess (wich wouldn't be in another castle this time). Specially because that story is surprisingly similar to a guarani legend (indigenous people from my country, Paraguay and the surrounding territories).
Old 06-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kike-Scott View Post
I know Pandaren are now Chinese-based rather than Japanese, but I would love to see a Yamata-no-Orochi-like quest line, with all the druken-dragon-killing and saving the princess (wich wouldn't be in another castle this time). Specially because that story is surprisingly similar to a guarani legend (indigenous people from my country, Paraguay and the surrounding territories).
Drunken dragons
Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Ranger

my vision of Pandaria involves Kung Fu Ogres. . .
Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Pandaria should take a lot from Chinese wuxia films and novels. At the very least, I'd expect a questline to reference Water Margin. Bamboo forests, mountainous valleys with misty waterfalls, serpentine dragons, the works.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

If it doesn't involve references to a Journey to the West event in the Pandaren's past, I will cry.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 AM

Arch-Druid

Journey to the West = Original Dragon Ball, amirite?
Damn, giant panda-monkeys would be DA SHITZ.
WTB "Collect 7 orbs so you can summon a dragon and ask a wish"
Old 06-28-2010, 12:48 AM

Elune

So the Aqiri would be different from the Qiraji? If so, why would the Aqir leave the area but the Qiraji stay? That would mean there were like three groups in that original empire counting the nerubians.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:51 AM

Eternal

???
In the original empire there was only the Aqir. When they split they became nerubians in the north and qiraji in the south. Though the trolls suspected there were more Aqiri colonies hidden underground.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
???
In the original empire there was only the Aqir. When they split they became nerubians in the north and qiraji in the south. Though the trolls suspected there were more Aqiri colonies hidden underground.
A few sources have it as the nerubians and qiraji together forming the aqir. The nerubians – by the way already being called nerubians – went the opposite direction of the qiraji because they were tired of the more war-like qiraji. The qiraji still wanted to fight the trolls although they weren't exactly winning battles.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:47 AM

Elune

As for the "China-ragers", seriously, fuck them. I prefer the main faction to be Chinese-style, but I want to see minor groups with other Asian influences aside from Chinese, like Japanese samurai and Mongolian raiders, and even Hindu and... dun dun dun Tibetan.

Basically, my main "depiction" would be: pandaren=samurai, aqir=ninja, and let the fight begin.

As for the related expansion, I would make Pandaria a 1-60 continent, with perhaps, some high level zones related to the ongoing expansion. This expansion should work as low-level content for some years later, just like Cataclysm revamp now.

Landscapes I would like to see: (see landscapes thread)
-White sand plains.
-Faerie forest.
-Coastal zone with dozens of rocky but accessible islands.
-Snowy mountain, should give the feeling of climbing up, have a secret hidden valley and have the highest parts above the clouds (Himalaya + Machu Picchu + Bhutan FTW).
-Arabian rocky desert, where Tuareg-like aqir fight Mongolian-like pandaren, with a Deccan plateau, Zagros mountains and Kali Vangaki valley touch.
-Subterranean lake system, the rivers from "Himalaya" erode the rock and create these abysses, this group of caves with "windows in the roof". Some sections could have thermal activity. Think of the place where Frodo and Sam met Golum for the rocks outside.
-Fields of the pandaren, near the faerie forest, sharing some trees from that place, but full of crop and bamboo fields. As for the "frontier", think of Bretonia and the sylvan elves from Warhammer.
-Amazonian/Oceanic/Philippine-themed jungle, near the coastal zone, full of deadly stuff that wants to eat you.
-A huge delta marsh, think of the Ganges delta, with all those rivers Ganges and Brahmaputra going across it.
-A zone of small hills, perfect place to cultivate rice (although delta is nice, too). Think of those hills near the mountains, full of flowers and pastors (Heidi Panda? rofl xD).

And some ideas for creatures:
-Huge sea serpents, think of Chinese dragons
-Wolf-size foxes, with many tails (popular legend, Japanese folklore, depicted in Pokemon as Ninetales)
-Huge mantis: (artwork already around, named Mantaxx)
-Turtle people
-Butterfly people, cousins to the aqir and inhabitant to the faerie forest
-Bee people, cousins to the aqir and inhabitant to the Arabian rocky desert

And some plots:
-We help the ancient Tortorra find his turtle people
-We stop the naga from working with the huge sea serpents at their underwater city (they could have enslaved the turtle people before the arrival of the naga to build the place)
-Above the clouds at the "Himalaya", There are 2 main peaks, and each one houses a pandaren/aqir religious settlement. Someone make them distrust each other, and now they're firing with cannons from one settlement to the other, but no one wins xDDD.
-The butterfly people and the bee people hate each other and fight for nectar (XD) at Himalaya secret valley.

Finally, creatures that should come back:
-Faerie dragons
-Huge yetis (Northrend yeti)
-A small group of bronze, green and red dragons at the faerie forest
-Custom Dryads and Keepers of the Grove
-Crocodiles and Huge Sea Crocodiles (you know one of these must fight a huge sea serpent for sake of awesomeness in the middle of the delta zone )

In the end, the pandaren follow a Chinese/Japanese/Mongolia/Australian theme, while the aqiri follow and Arabian/Persian/Hindu/Tuareg theme.

OK, I stop NOW. I'm writing too much already. I still have 2 zones missing to complete the 12 set. I'll rewrite everything properly and then show it to you xDDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
So the Aqiri would be different from the Qiraji? If so, why would the Aqir leave the area but the Qiraji stay? That would mean there were like three groups in that original empire counting the nerubians.
In my fanfiction parallel world, there was another aqir city-state, that acted as the capital, like the Zuldazar of the trolls. The qiraji and the nerubian evolved, but these guys didn't.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 06-28-2010 at 04:52 AM..
Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 AM

Eternal

What is the context for the Pandaren involvement in WoW? I mean, under what circumstances does the Pandaren island/continent seek involvement with geater Azeroth?

Are we discovering them? Are they requesting aid? Are we requesting theirs? Do they have something we want/need? Do they join the Alliance or Horde? Is Pandaria in the South Seas? On the reverse of the map?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:40 AM

Elune

I think it's west of Kalimdor, far inside the Veiled Sea.

As for their involvement with the rest of Azeroth, my idea is that the fight between the pandaren and the aqiri turns so violent they choose to ask for help to the Horde and the Aliance.

That, and/or a new threat is born, and they aren't able to stop it without aid from outside.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM

Arch-Druid

Ok, so the Aqir would resemble Zuika, from Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon.

And for some reason, Pandaria screams Izumo from Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age for me.

(I hope this thread becomes more widespread and ends up as the whole Gilnean Worgen fanfiction. Yeah, one can dream /sigh)

Last edited by Falarson; 06-28-2010 at 09:02 AM..
Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
If it doesn't involve references to a Journey to the West event in the Pandaren's past, I will cry.
Why? But yeah I agree it's a pretty good book.

As for Pandaria I agree with what Lon said for Pandaria

As foir censors........I play on Taiwan servers who cares about the Chinese Government!!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM

Elune

Great to see you interested in this, guys. I've drawn a small map basing on the zones in my previous post. I can't provide a nice enough image, so I'll describe the positions and the level range of the zones.

Both capital cities play a centric role, being surrounded by 4 zones each:

-Pandaren capital has the jungle north, the coastal zone east, the pandaren fields south and the rice hills west.

-Aqir capital has Himalaya north, Faerie forest east, white sand fields south and a yet undecided zone west.

Now, some other positions:

-The delta marsh lies between white sand fields, Faerie forest, rice hills and pandaren fields.

-Himalaya, in the middle of the continent, has the second yet undecided zone west, the Arabian desert north and the subterranean lake system east.

-Second yet undecided zone has first yet undecided zone south.

-Subterranean lake system has the jungle south.

With this information, I think you can imagine the setting, more or less. Now, level ranges:

-Pandaren start in pandaren fields, and then travel northwest to rice hills.

-Aqir start in white sand fields or first yet undecided zone, and the travel to the remaining one.

-After reaching level 20, both races follow the same path:
--Pandaren go west, and Aqir east, to meet at the delta marsh. From there, they go up north, to the Faerie forest. After finishing here, they took a mountain path in the western part of Himalaya to travel across and reach Arabian desert. Finally, they climb to Himalaya, reaching level 40.
--From Himalaya, the players climb down into the subterranean lake system to the east, and then they follow south to enter the jungle. Once they're done there, they travel south to enter the coastal zone. The final zone isn't linked in path, and is the second yet unnamed zone. With this, they would reach level 60, and end the level progression of Pandaria.

As for those 2 unnamed zones, I've some ideas:

-First: Some kind of forest, different from the trees from Faerie, that already appear in the 1-20 pandaren zones. A lush forest of pines that play with alive yellows and oranges would be nice.

-Second: An ancient city, the original of the aqir, a shadowy lost forgotten cursed place. It would play the role of the typical "lost" and "dark" forest of fantasy (Duskwood has a darkness-theme). If you want an example, think of one of those autumn forests of the beastmen of Warhammer, full of old ruins. It could share the same tees of the first yet undecided zone, but dead and dry.

Well, opinions? I'm really looking forward them, so much overthinking is making me take this as a serious project .

Old 06-28-2010, 12:16 PM

Arch-Druid

I would like to add some shinto-like shrines to some of the Pandaren areas, and an area resemblant of Onogoroshima in one of the coastal micro-islands.

Fuck I can't think about the pandaren as chinese, everything I think it's related to the japanese culture. Oh well, they are samurais in this fanfic, so...

Make their deities resemblant of Amaterasu, Susanoo, Tsukiyomi, Inari and so on. Big temples for each of the major gods spread around Pandaria capital, or the surrounding zones.

Actually they might have several clans. Some could be inspired by the japanese feudal theme, and others could be more akin to Avatar: The Last Airbender (Shamans specially).
Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 AM

Elune

Question

So Pandaria would be multi-zoned? Is it the size of Northrend?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:23 AM

Eternal

I'd say the first thing the Pandaren should do to be as Chinese as possible would be to build a wall to keep out the Centaur, occupy the mountain lands owned by a pacific sect of Taunka, or allow the government of a city in their most economically advantageous harbor to be run by a very, very distant foreign nation.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Elune

If you think of it deeply, all the Japanese building styles are directly inherited by China, so they aren't that different.

The only unique Japanese things could be the arches or other monuments. which wouldn't be present at the capital anyway.

As for the size of Pandaria: yes, in my idea, it's a full continent, of the size of Northrend.

Well, no opinions/critics on the zones I listed? :S please xDDD.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM

Demon Hunter

I'm not a big fan of Aqir bugging in (pun intended) in Pandaria. I would prefer the Pandaren regions to be uniquely derived from far eastern mythology and legends. Have Pandaren be Ming-China inspired, complete with a huge wall to protect the empire from marauding Centaurs in the north, or some new Centaur off-shoot (like camel-centaurs). Then have the mountainous regions nearby, inhabited by pacifistic nation secluded to monasteries (another Tauren yak-headed off-shoot). Then have a huge population of monkey-people in the south, mischievous but still benevolent monkey-people, with culture mainly based on India. And then Japanese-influenced fox people on island chain to the east. Qirin, Long and Fox mounts included.
Just generally, creatively recreate the cultures of the far east and their myths. That would be fantastic, not throwing in humanoid bugs from completely unrelated part of WoW. Far East was pretty isolated in the real world, and I would appreciate if the general plots didn't stick their dirty finger in Pandaria.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Eternal

Lon's just desperate to get his fan-made idea for Aqir some validity.

I agree with Holy Cow. If we're going to sit here and generate a "Far East" inspired expansion, I would want to dive headlong into eastern themes and mythologies.

I could see borrowing long-established ideas, like an Titan base modeled on Hindu mythology called Uldamarabala. I could see a "Hong Kong" multinational port that serves as a Shattrath or Dalaran. I wouldn't WANT to create an "eastern" experience without highlighting the Centaur in some fashion. Maybe introduce An'she in the House of the Setting Sun dungeon.

I would NOT want to play in more of the same Red vs Blue conflicts. Like Holy Cow suggests, the Far East was held separate from the Western World for a long time. Horde versus Alliance should not automatically be an assumed part of the politics in Pandaria.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:42 PM

Elune

Well, when I started making the aqir, I always believed their lands where between Northrend and Kalimdor, and I believed pandaren's land were around, too, so 1+1=2 .

Whatever, I like the idea of a neutral continent with the pandaren being neutral, too.

Give me an opinion about my terrain, anyway. You could recycle it for the neutral pandaren empire version (just change the aqir place for <insert ancient race> place).

What I notice is that I'm missing some islands... I think some could fit in the coast of the underwater lake system, some "miles" away. Good point there with the islands thing.

Finally, I was giving aqir a mixture or styles, with a predominant Hindu style, so you could choose a new race to fill both that role and the ancient race one .

Old 06-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
I could see borrowing long-established ideas, like an Titan base modeled on Hindu mythology called Uldamarabala.
And you know what? Have the monkey-people be originally a corruption of the construct that gave us humans, the "stone vrykul" one. They would be the troggs of humans. How would that collide with the previous information of only three big Titan facilities, I don't know.