Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 PM

Arch-Druid

Draenei animal forms would look rediculous.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliya View Post
Dwarves, Human, Draenei, Worgen, and some Gnomes.
Gnomes don't "follow" the light. It's medical science to them, so that removes them from the equation. Draenei and Worgen also have rather small populations. Of the dwarves, not all of them follow the light, some but not all follow the titanic "mystery of the makers" religion.

Quote:
Still don't know what to make of the Night Elf Priest watching over Uther's Tomb, but it's pretty safe to say very few, if any, Night Elves are Lightsworn, but I digress.
I believe one of the RPGs calls him a high elf which makes sense, and I guess Blizz never got around to changing his model.

Quote:
Ok, I'll buy the idea that they should be, as you put it, "investigating heresy", but I think making them a mirror image of the Scarlets with an Alliance insignia on them would be going too far, unless you had some idea that would differentiate them from the Scarlets.
You're right: The Scarlets were too damn overt. I'm thinking something along the lines of Sigmar's witch hunters from Warhammer, here, or maybe Vincent Price in Witchfinder General.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

I cant get Draenei Witch hunters out of my head its just to damn perfect.... Its the only way they could ever look as badass as the Eredar.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft View Post
New and exciting. Shouldn't this topic (i.e. crap) be considered Story Forum fare by now? Yeah, we get it; the Draenei have been ignored.

The true question is: r fursaken evel?
I like you.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:06 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft View Post
New and exciting. Shouldn't this topic (i.e. crap) be considered Story Forum fare by now? Yeah, we get it; the Draenei have been ignored.

The true question is: r fursaken evel?
I tend to agree. There's just nothing left to say about this anymore; it sucks but whats done is done and one can just hope that the next expansion will be demon focused and thus see the Draenei play a major role. Blizzard seems to think tossing loads of them into the Earthen Ring is development enough at this point.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:18 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrabel View Post
Draenei druids could easily be construed by Blizzard into existence. All it would really take is for some of the Draenei, influenced by the recent surge of shamanism within their culture alongside their close relations with the Night Elves, to have an appreciation for Druidism, start training in it to use in the healing of mutant life on the Azuremyst Isles, and, voila, Draenei order of druids.
This. Considering how fast a small group within draenei society embraced (and excelled) in shamanism, it wouldn't be too strange to see draenei embrace (and excel) in druidism, especially since druidism proved to be incredibly resilient to Burning Legion, something the draenei specifically hone themselves for.

That aside, if tauren can have Sun Druids, then I'm sure Draenei can have Moon Paladins or something :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
You're right, completely ridiculous, it wouldn't fit with other druid forms.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRMNKY View Post
You could do it very easily.

It's just whenever I see the draenei and their love of the Light and the "worship" of the Naaru, I just see them turning into the Eccelsiatical and the Ordo Hereticus because their whole entire society basically revolves around their worship of the Light. It was the Naaru and the Light that saved them from being turned into demons and that devotion can border on fanatical, especially with how important the "Army of Light" is to them.

I thought that it was very curious that we haven't seen any type of interaction between them and the Church of the Holy Light and it would be perfect for them to start melding the two together and creating a new "Order of the Silver Hand" that would be the death knell of the Argent Crusade.

They don't have to be the Scarlets. Remember that the Scarlets treated everyone as "guilty regardless" and they didn't have a long range plan like the draenei do.

The draenei wouldn't be that way. I could see them as Ordo Hereticus, rooting out those within the Alliance that would turn to the BL, and those who would be easily corrupted- as the Draenei see it.

Then you can expand this out with the Forsaken. If a few of the draenei know see them as abominations of the Light, then it would make sense for them to start moving against them, perhaps using the justification that they turned to the BL before, and willingly and they will do it again and the "Army of the Light" must be purged of them...

Would be very interesting to see how far they will go with it...

Also, have the draenei test the Alliance and Horde to see if they truly are the members of the "Army of Light", then perhaps during that they find that one or two races cannot be part of it, and if you are not part of it....
How exactly is what's likely the least numerous of the Alliance races supposed to start "testing" the races of both factions for worthiness and then forcing their exclusion if they aren't?

Moreover, the Naaru are literally right there and have already set the standard they expect from the draenei by accepting all races Horde and Alliance alike (as well as people in neither) who seek to contribute to the battle against the Legion. You're acting like they're some nebulous presence that would inspire the draenei to fanatical lengths, but we've already seen with the Aldor/Scryer thing that when the draenei tried to prevent someone they hated from serving the cause, the Naaru themselves told them to knock it off and they pretty much had to listen.

The fact is, despite being mechanically Alliance in-game, culturally and thematically the draenei as a whole - the Aldor and Exodar groups - are bound up in something far bigger than that and taking their queues from the talking windchimes, and the talking windchimes are telling them and whoever else is listening to cooperate with anyone that's earnestly willing to fight the Burning Legion. And most importantly, that whole idea's borne seriously compelling fruit with the defeats of Illidan and Kil'jaeden at the united hands of the Aldor/Scryers and their Horde/Alliance allies. No groups of draenei have ever been shown to outright oppose the Naaru enough to refuse their calls for unity in the face of the Legion, and frankly if any did it seems likely they'd be shunned and cast out by the greater whole of their race, and thus basically a non-factor as far as exerting influence in the Alliance. Being the guy who's reviled for opposing his pious and Light-devoted brethren and their sparkling Light-worshiping friends' message of unity against a common foe isn't likely to earn a lot of points in the public eye when trying to sell one's views to others in the Alliance.

One needs only look at Grand Anchorite Almonen's sermon to see their view of how the whole thing works. They see those who've embraced darkness as being deprived of the Light by their choices; as being pitiable and lacking of its blessings rather than inherently anathema to it and worthy only of loathing and hatred. Or perhaps most relevant, they don't consider such individuals to be hated and unfit to return to the Light. To drive away those deemed "unworthy" of serving the Light would be a direct violation of their belief that all must seek to find the Light within themselves and embrace it. They don't teach that the Light is theirs to bestow to the worthy, but rather that it exists within all peoples and things, waiting to be found by those who haven't yet sought it out, including those who've actively shunned it and might yet find their way.

Hell, even their part in the Sunwell Plateau story shows that the draenei are basically one big redemption and atonement machine, looking to guide every person they can to his or her own personal understanding of and reconciliation with the Light. Even their worst enemy, the Eredar, they would sooner see returned to the Light and shown the error of their ways if it were possible over their being destroyed.

For that matter, their own investment in in the Army of the Light is heavily steeped in personal atonement. From their angle, it's less about destroying the Legion and more about at last, after tens of thousands of years, having the chance to finally atone for the tremendous harm they've failed to prevent their fallen brethren from causing to countless worlds and innocents.

As for the "death knell of the Argent Crusade" thing, seriously, how's that? You're suggesting that a rising faction of hardliners committed to weeding out those unworthy to serve the Light would sway the people and render obsolete those who led the charge to Icecrown, facilitated the Lich King's defeat and accept anyone who's willing to champion the Light's virtues? Tacking on "they don't have to be Scarlets" doesn't change the fact that a bunch of Light-worshiping authoritarians dealing out their own judgment of who's worthy of the Light and who isn't would sound exactly to 99.9% of the Azerothians with a pulse (and those Azerothians without, for that matter) like the Scarlet Crusade. That's not how the draenei think anyway. They teach that everyone's inherently worthy of the Light and they need only to seek it out to gain its blessings. Hell, the Church of the Holy Light basically says the same thing, though occasionally sprinkling it with dogmatic (and inaccurate) mumbo-jumbo about taking away paladins' powers by decree.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:22 AM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Snip
Eastern Orthodoxy with some Stoic and Gnostic allusions here and there.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:28 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliya View Post
And that, after going through her records from WC3 backwards, is depressing.
I started to come up with a list of NPC's in World of Warcraft who have done more than Tyrande, but it was easier to come up with a quick list of characters who have done less:

Orgrimmar Grunt, Auctioneer Yarly, Relara Whitemoon, Courier Dawnstrider, Tinkerbell, Mankrik's Wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
AndyJP is indisputably superior to me in every way.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 AM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
You think so?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 AM

I maintain that space aliens should not become druids, especially because, with the Draenei, the fact that they're aliens is much more prominent than, say, Orcs. Even if they wanted to, they shouldn't be able to. Plus, them having both shaman and druids makes them appear too nature-focused when they really should have more light themed stuff.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:33 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I maintain that space aliens should not become druids, especially because, with the Draenei, the fact that they're aliens is much more prominent than, say, Orcs. Even if they wanted to, they shouldn't be able to. Plus, them having both shaman and druids makes them appear too nature-focused when they really should have more light themed stuff.
I want draenei druids because I don't wanna play an elf, werewolf, cow, or troll, but still want a druid.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
While I don't disagree with you in the slightest, Druids seem to be getting more light themed these days with their abilities. The new eclipse mechanic sort of brought that up. Yeah... I know... suggesting moon/sun based powers are "light" is crazyness for some people and will no doubt cause an arguement. But outside of growing mushrooms theres been more "light source" based abilities this expansion.

I remember getting a plus nature damage blue staff back in Vanilla WoW and thinking "FUCK YES THIS IS WHAT MY DRUID TOTALLY NEEDS!" only to find out that none of my real damage dealing abilities outside of Wrath and Roots dealt nature damage. I thought to myself... what the fuck.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
I want draenei druids because I don't wanna play an elf, werewolf, cow, or troll, but still want a druid.
Come on, if you're a worgen druid you can pretty much avoid going into worgen form, unless you level resto you'll never see your humanoid form anyway and when out of combat you could stick to human form.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
Come on, if you're a worgen druid you can pretty much avoid going into worgen form, unless you level resto you'll never see your humanoid form anyway and when out of combat you could stick to human form.
Everyone is a worgen druid now. I know like three people that stayed night lf, and you're one of them.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:22 AM

Arch-Druid

Going back to Draenei crusaders vs hippies, there was this quest in the plaguelands

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27479
Quote:
Righteous Indignation
Description
The Mossflayers of Zul'Mashar spit in the face of the Light! They cannibalize, they criminalize, they prioritize the forces of evil over good! I advise that you remove their eyes, and give rise to the demise and the goodbyes of the unwise!

You will travel north, and you will rain down on them with righteous justice and indignation, <name>. The fury that they have wrought in the eyes of the Light shall be channeled through you.

Progress
<Deacon Andaal is deep in prayer.>

Completion
Oh, hallelujah, and praise, praise be to the Light, my brother!
Could just be a jokey excuse for a Draenei to rhyme like a southern preacher, could be a hint they are bored of angels singing kumbaya and giving hugs.

I'd also avoid giving them Druids for thematic reasons, the distinctly on the edge of society shaman is already the iconic image of Draenei for most players, no need to rub salt in the wound by giving them the other rare nature based class.

Last edited by Grunn; 06-03-2011 at 07:27 AM..
Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Eternal

You know two Nelf Druids. I've been Urthona Starfallen for five years, I can't just change him.

I enjoy that the Worgen are Druids, but I take issue with HOW they are Druids. The whole implementation for Troll and Worgen Druids is hamfisted and sloppy. Fixing that's another topic.

I RP my Draenei Vindicator as a driven demon slayer, bent on eradicating the Demon threat from Azeroth. I often thought that's exactly how Draenei Paladins could position themselves as different than the more generic plated clerics of the Dwarves and Humans, and the anti-Scourge army of the Blood Elves. The Vault of Lights isn't a church: it's a museum of horrors. It makes sense that the Draenei Paladins would be trained to specifically target, hunt and vanquish Demons. So, with that in mind, the Hand of Argus could sanction small, tight strikeforces led by Paladins and manned by all Draenei classes to eliminate nests of demonic activity.

Fortress Song (<3 name) would be positioned against Satyrnaar and Demon Fall Canyon. The Worgen of Felwood really should have been Draenei. Nigel's Point, Desolace should be heavily armed with Draenei soldiers.

I'm kind of against Draenei Druids for similar reasons to Omacron. Mostly because I want their cultural kit to be more about Light and Holy than about syncretism. But also because I don't want the sloppy work done on Troll and Worgen Druidism to spill over to the Draenei race. The Draenei's presence in Warcraft's fantasy setting is so tenuous that diluting their story with Elunite and Cenarion leanings would diminish them.

So possibly Rogues. Maaaaaaayyybe Warlocks. But I think I'd rather have Human Druids.

Ideally, they'd open Kurenai as a Draenei subrace, and we'd get a Druid of a different color altogether. Makes me want to stop work and sketch tentacled bears and a Mushroom Tree Form.

Last edited by Urth; 06-03-2011 at 07:35 AM..
Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 AM

Priestess of the Moon

The only way I see Draenei having Druids would be an Argus expansion. Druidism would be the best way to mend the corruption to the planet.

Well, unless it is way beyond redemption, which is most likely the case
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Elune

I'm still trying to do a humorous fanfic about a draenei that starts practicing druidism for the lulz.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:31 AM

Demon Hunter

The only way I could see draenei getting druids, warlocks, or rogues is if the Broken were playable. Which would be awesome, of course, but not sure how well it would work, plus there would be the QQ of other people saying they want all races to have sub-races.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeku View Post
The only way I could see draenei getting druids, warlocks, or rogues is if the Broken were playable. Which would be awesome, of course, but not sure how well it would work, plus there would be the QQ of other people saying they want all races to have sub-races.
...or a group borrowed heavily from the Broken culture, who were actually more or less responsible for successfully defeating Illidan. Ya know, showing that the race has a story past the one that already existed in the game for them.

There is even a massive amount of the Cult of the Raven God nonsense with Broken Druids (more Lost Ones but still). Could expand both stories for a universal win-win.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 AM

The eyeconic Titleless

Draenei Druids? What? I could imagine them as Restoration ... maybe. But not as Feral. Feral is about mangling, tearing, shredding and ripping your opponent with your very own body and letting animal instincts assume a lot of control over your actions. To a Tauren or Night Elf, that's just how nature rolls and Trolls and Worgen are known to be rather vicious. I can't see a Draenei feeling fine and dandy after he just messily tore someone apart with his bear hands.
Not that I think they should be pacifists. But that really doesn't fit.

But I also STILL resent Draenei Shamans.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
Draenei Druids? What? I could imagine them as Restoration ... maybe. But not as Feral. Feral is about mangling, tearing, shredding and ripping your opponent with your very own body and letting animal instincts assume a lot of control over your actions. To a Tauren or Night Elf, that's just how nature rolls and Trolls and Worgen are known to be rather vicious. I can't see a Draenei feeling fine and dandy after he just messily tore someone apart with his bear hands.
Not that I think they should be pacifists. But that really doesn't fit.

But I also STILL resent Draenei Shamans.
Draenei can be berserker warriors, though.
And why do you resent draenei shaman?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 AM

Elune

I could see human druids happening long before draenei.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
Draenei can be berserker warriors, though.
That rage still comes from a humanoid mind, though. And despite "crazed viking" behavior, Warriors require a fighting discipline and a weapon. Druids' feral fury comes from a more animalistic source, a borrowed and blended rage from an Animal Spirit and the Druid. YMMV, ofc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
And why do you resent draenei shaman?
While the implementation of Draenei Shaman was MUCH more detailed and reasoned than any of the additions in Cataclysm, it still feels "off" when you consider the cultural kit of the Draenei in total.

Tags
draenei, human bias