Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 AM

Arch-Druid

Default Curse of the Worgen Q&A Sept 2011

Now that most people have read Curse of the Worgen, or read the spoilers, it would be interesting to set up a Q&A about it.

I'll forward your questions to, both, Micky Neilson and James Waugh.

The Curse of the Worgen Hardcover comes out on October 12, 2011.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:04 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievaldragon View Post
Now that most people have read Curse of the Worgen, or read the spoilers, it would be interesting to set up a Q&A about it.

I'll forward your questions to, both, Micky Neilson and James Waugh.

The Curse of the Worgen Hardcover comes out on October 12, 2011.
When did Belysra first appear in Gilneas?

Did the Gilneans pick up Druidism from the Night Elves, or did they develop the basics naturally?

If developed naturally, what set them apart from the other human nations?

Not exactly something touched on in the comics, but considering the presence of a Priestess of Elune and Genn's cooperation with her, is Gilneas as a nation "devout" in the belief in the light, or is it a much smaller part of their culture, compared to say, Lordaeron?

And now that the Lore questions are out of the way,

Do you think the story line carried over well into the game?

Given the chance, will series such as this be portrayed in game rather than through published materials, in hopes of reaching a larger audience?

Often times in media, "present events" and "flashback" panels can be rather jarring on the reader. Are you happy with the way these panels were presented?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:14 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Gilnean druids are portrayed in game as "Harvest Witches", bearing more resemblance to real world druids than the Night Elven ones we see in game. After the very first class quest, however, this portrayal is abandoned and never again touched upon or explored. What can you tell us about Gilnean druidism, prior to the events of Cataclysm?
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:28 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

What happened to Halford Ramsey?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Is Belysra the same persona as Belrysa Starsong?

If so... fix the goddamn name, it's been mistyped since release.

I would like to know about what's going on with all the characters in the comic, aside from main characters (Genn and Darius) only a night elf reappears at Darnassus. Pretty much everyone else is missing or doing nothing, including Belysra, the druids, the nelf that brought the scythe, Tess and Mia, Krennan, Gwen, Hersham, http://www.wowpedia.org/Talar_Oaktalon (the NE captain of Genn's ship), and much more.

And yeah, I want to know why Halford Ramsey isn't replacing that stupid CSI parody (I don't remember his name, and I don't want to).

Finally, are they going to include some new extra pages in the hardcover? (like Ashbringer did)

PS: By the way, here's a list containing all the characters and locations of the comic: http://www.wowpedia.org/User:Lon-ami..._of_the_Worgen .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 09-16-2011 at 11:43 AM..
Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Elune

I'll bite. If these are already answered, let me know. If you want to clean em up go ahead, just posting random thoughts that I had while reading the comic.

Did all of the night elf worgen get cast back into the Emerald Dream?

When they were first put into the Emerald Dream, was it just their mental side that got cast in, or where they physically put into the Emerald Dream? If it was just their mental side, then how did they physically show up in Gilneas?

Were they asleep the entire time in the Emerald Dream, or just awake? If they were awake then how come no other night elf druid who was in there never mentioned seeing them?

When the Gilnean worgen did the cure, did they pick up the night elf culture as it appears they have in game? Is there more to the cure than we know?

What happened to the Scythe of Elune? Do we know who "cursed" it and turned the pack form into the worgen form?

How is being a worgen a "curse"? Based upon what we see in the comic, once you get the cure then everything is back to normal and you basically get superpowers with no drawbacks.

Now that we see in game a cured worgen can use his blood to transform more people into cured worgen, do we even need the night elf cure anymore?

Is there a reason why the worgen curse only effects humans and night elves?

Did the worgen war destroy much of the industrial side of Gilneas and the main reason why the Gilneans abandonded it for a more nature focused culture?

What is the timeline in the comic book and how does it relate to the in game storyline. In terms of years, months, days and all that.

What kind of things got left on the cutting floor? Was there any plans to do anything with Mia and Tess?

Was Ivar Bloodfang part of the Bloodfang pack during the events in the comic? If not, then where did the Bloodfang get their name?

Is there any other plans to expand more upon the worgen with another comic book? Any plans to do one that actually has a bigger role in WoW since the worgen story is so lacking in game?

Do you think the story line carried over well into the game?

That's one of the questions that I really wanted to ask besides the background on the Gilnean druids. After reading the comic, it felt like it took place in it's own universe and had little to no impact in game. Besides just being a really crappy background story.

Last edited by Ma Caque Attaque; 09-16-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Elune

Actually, Lon-Ami, Krennan is in Darnassus. I think he's in Rut'theran.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Elves are bad.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Actually, Lon-Ami, Krennan is in Darnassus. I think he's in Rut'theran.
I remember seeing him there in the Alpha, but I thought he was removed :S.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-16-2011, 10:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Is Belysra the same persona as Belrysa Starsong?

If so... fix the goddamn name, it's been mistyped since release.

I would like to know about what happened with all the characters in the comic, aside from main characters (Genn and Darius) only a night elf reappears at Darnassus. Pretty much everyone else is missing, including Belysra, the druids, the nelf that brought the scythe, Tess and Mia, Krennan, Gwen, Hersham, www.diablowiki.com/Data:Npcs/Gharbad_the_Strong (the NE captain of Genn's ship), and much more.

And yeah, I want to know why Halford Ramsey isn't replacing that stupid CSI parody (I don't remember his name, and I don't want to).

Finally, are they going to include some new extra pages in the hardcover? (like Ashbringer did)

PS: By the way, here's a list containing all the characters and locations of the comic: http://www.wowpedia.org/User:Lon-ami..._of_the_Worgen .
Belrysa is at the tree in Darnassus along with Gwen and all 3 druids with 1 of them even reappearing in Felwood and Krennan is in Ruth'eran. And who cares about minor NPC's such as Hersham. Halford, Tess and Mia missing are the only ones that really are odd.

This is why asking questions about a game you don't play is a bit stupid.

Last edited by Leviathon; 09-16-2011 at 10:51 AM..
Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Belrysa is at the tree in Darnassus along with Gwen and all 3 druids with 1 of them even reappearing in Felwood and Krennan is in Ruth'eran. And who cares about minor NPC's such as Hersham. Halford, Tess and Mia missing are the only ones that really are odd.

This is why asking questions about a game you don't play is a bit stupid.
Last time I checked they weren't there (only one of the druids). Oh, snap.

Also, this is about a comic. No need to be mean (but yeah, I pretty much wrote all names I remembered, though it's not like they're doing anything relevant, mind you... no worgen is doing anything relevant anyway).

Old 09-16-2011, 11:23 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

I think the point is that you really have no room to complain about it if you're not playing the game and experiencing anything first hand.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 AM

Elune

Quote:
You can’t really "Oh, snap" someone when they’ve demonstrated that you’re the one in the wrong because your information is woefully out of date and inaccurate.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think anything snapped except your credibility.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Elune

Lol, you're so amusing, I should make mistakes more often. Btw, the "Oh, snap" was directed at myself. Though it was obvious, but seems I failed, again! badum-ts.

Btw, fixed previous post, link was wrong. Again! Oh god.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:44 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Anyway, I have nothing to add apart from what has already been asked. However, I doubt the Gilnean druid question will be resolved - despite it being one of my biggest lore questions - as Gilnean druids do not appear in Curse of the Worgen and would therefore not be applicable to a CotW Q&A.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Anyway, I have nothing to add apart from what has already been asked. However, I doubt the Gilnean druid question will be resolved - despite it being one of my biggest lore questions - as Gilnean druids do not appear in Curse of the Worgen and would therefore not be applicable to a CotW Q&A.
The question can always be reworded. Think of something like "did the night elf presence and their druidic arts transpire somehow into the worgen? if so, when did these arts start?".

Something on those lines, that could relate to the worgen druidic origin or just the druidic stuff going around at the flashbacks.

Anyway, the writer is Micky Neilson, one of Metzen's hands. If someone knows aside from Metzen and Evelyn, its him.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post

Elves are bad.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Do you believe "Gilnean" culture has given way to "Worgen" or even "Night Elf" culture at this point? CotW is pretty much the only glimpse we got into pre-Worgen Gilneas, and you had a unique opportunity to portray a human culture radically different than the "standard" set by Stormwind and Lordaeron. Is there room in Warcraft for this culture to continue, or has it been destroyed or subsumed?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:14 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

What concepts for a Gilnean main character did you have in mind before you finally settled with Halford Ramsey? Did you have something else in mind besides a snarky detective, like a warrior or an aristocrat? Also what about Halford's character do you feel would appeal to readers the most?