Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 AM
rhcpftw rhcpftw is offline

Hippogryph
rhcpftw's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 195

Default Are you religious?

Well?

Me? I'm an atheist.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,634
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcpftw View Post
Well?

Me? I'm an atheist.
You know there's no reason to censor your signature, right?
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 AM
rhcpftw rhcpftw is offline

Hippogryph
rhcpftw's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 195

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
You know there's no reason to censor your signature, right?
Aye, it's quoted. It was meant to be temporary anyways, can't seem to find something great to write there though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 8,112
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

Absolutely not... but I'm very well versed in all the mythologies that most modern and ancient faiths are based around.

I identify more as a non militant antitheist, which is a fancy pretentious way of saying that I'm an Athiest who believes that religion as a mass generalization is unhealthy, dangerous and inherently corrupt but I'm not going to go out of my way to rub it in peoples faces.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,634
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

I'm religious. And if you try and tell me it's crutch that I use because of some weakness or stupidity I'm trying to hide, I'll hit you so hard in the face your future child's plastic surgeon will never run out of money.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Royalpimp Royalpimp is offline

Eternal
Royalpimp's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,715

Default

I believe religion is unhealthy and ultimately corrupt when it's practiced in mass but I don't care enough to try to change other people's opinions, especially since lots of people can get pretty unreasonable when you even politely question their faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
I'm religious. And if you try and tell me it's crutch that I use because of some weakness or stupidity I'm trying to hide, I'll hit you so hard in the face your future child's plastic surgeon will never run out of money.
Not to be that guy but hitting people in the face wouldn't help your argument.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Yes, can I borrow one of your thongs and a sports bra? Some bitch stole my suit.

This wouldn't be the first time I ended up in a thong.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,626

Runes

I honestly don't know.

I don't have a favorable view of religion but...

As I said, I dunno.
__________________
"And isn't sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick! Rational Thinking. Oh but when you're good and crazy, the sky's the limit!" - The Tick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8sghAju4EM
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,634
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Not to be that guy but hitting people in the face wouldn't help your argument.
Hey, you only have to turn the other cheek once. Then it's clobberin' time.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:51 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Apocrypha
Posts: 21,943

Default

Im atheist.I have nothing against normal religious people,i just hate the fanatics.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 29,583
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

I appreciate most religions in two capacities- as a fiction and as a philosophy. I may take influence from them but I do not subscribe to all of their beliefs. I wouldn't call myself an "atheist" now, though I definitely did when I was younger (though for most of my life I've been an agnostic). I'm really a humanist, I guess you could say- I can see an important spiritual or metaphorical, ephemeral worth in humanity and see no need for gods. Unless, of course, humans become those gods.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 11,801
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

I don't simply care about it. Sometimes, during special celebrations, I go to church, but more because of tradition rather than faith. Christmas morning, special days, weddings... when the grandma is around, most of the times. I find it boring as hell except during celebrations, when it's nice to attend.

However, I believe people must learn local religion, no matter their beliefs, just because it's an important part of our historical background. I learned it and I'm fine with it. Without it I wouldn't understand the roots of my society.

Also, I appreciate the work the church does to society by helping ONGs and taking care about the poor people. Most people don't see this, but the church is pretty much behind all social stuff.

I hate zealots on both sides, both those that want to force their interpretations of the bible because they're right and those that want to see all churches burned because they feel they want to brainwash society. Both are retards.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM
oblivion oblivion is offline

Priestess of the Moon
oblivion's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 544

Default

i am agnostic. if there is god. so be it. if there isn't well so be it. i can't be certain of either so i don't hassle my brain with religion.

what i can't stand is if people force others to their beliefs. a few days ago some people i work with were talking. one of em said that her friend is stupid because he doesn't believe in god but in science. she as were some others were very vehement in forcing their children into their religion. they shouldn't have a choice they said but have to accept their parents beliefs.

now i never heard such ignorant stuff regarding religion.

i can't prove my own existence so why should i try to believe in something so esoteric. i can't be sure if even i exist so my thought system is hard enough as it is...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Garotar Garotar is online now

Site Staff - News
Garotar's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,680
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Default

Best way to describe my current belief is agnostic.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Falarson Falarson is offline

Arch-Druid
Falarson's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Asunción, Paraguay
Posts: 1,909
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

Default

Sorry to say this, but the only reasonable way to think is that there's no God until proven otherwise. We don't say there MAY be a Tooth Fairy. We just say there isn't one because it doesn't make a lot of sense or it's not in line with what we know of the universe.

I can't stand religious people (and yes, this makes my everyday life a little harder, but I try to avoid the subject unless I'm in the mood for some trolling). 80.6% of the population here is Catholic.

However, I really don't go as far as insulting people for their beliefs. I can't really wrap my mind around believing in a God, mostly because I never did, so if you have any questions to an individual who never truly believed in a God, go ahead.

Yes, I went to church when I was a child, but only because they had free food and a nice Science & Tech class on Saturdays (which now I find ironic, because they actually taught us about Dinosaurs and some basic experiments like the vinegar volcano and such).
__________________

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!

Last edited by Falarson; 10-14-2011 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Apocrypha
Posts: 21,943

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
one of em said that her friend is stupid because he doesn't believe in god but in science.
Poeple like that need to die in a fire.Let people believe what they want.

Last edited by SmokeBlader; 10-14-2011 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 AM
oblivion oblivion is offline

Priestess of the Moon
oblivion's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 544

Default

Quote:
Poeple like that need to die in a fire.Let people believe what they want.
and thats something i won't ever think. i think most of the people i deal with in my life are retarded bastards. i megaloath them all.

but i would never wish harm upon them.

i may not be religious but i have a belief: everyman is capable of good and everyone should be capable of being good to each other.

they don't have to. above everything i say everyone has to right to act as he wants to. even if he acts like a jerk he has to right to do so. but i always hope for the best in everyone to shine.

Sorry to say this, but the only reasonable way to think is that there's no God until proven otherwise.
sadly there are maybe 2 people in my life that act such. about everyone else is a moron.

a year ago i was very down and depressive just about the fact that 95% of people are jerks and hypocrits no matter what they believe in or not believe.

Quote:
Sorry to say this, but the only reasonable way to think is that there's no God until proven otherwise.
Sorry to say this, but the only reasonable way to think is that there just "the thought" until proven otherwise.

so even believing in the laws of physics is irrational. thus everyone is entitled to believe in what they want coz there belief system is just as unproven as anyone elses

Last edited by oblivion; 10-14-2011 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,634
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumShadow843 View Post
Poeple like that need to die in a fire.Let people believe what they want.
I love the ironic hypocrisy in this post.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 13,258

Default

I mostly subscribe to deism.

Edit:

I also find parascience and parapsychology to be fascinating studies as well as the study of NDE's.
__________________
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and Autumn moon is bright."

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 10-14-2011 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:56 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Apocrypha
Posts: 21,943

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
I love the ironic hypocrisy in this post.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Orifiel Whitedeer Orifiel Whitedeer is offline

Sentinel Queen
Orifiel Whitedeer's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 763

Default

I'm pagan. I don't subscribe to any established "official" religion because people tend to ruin everything (What Jesus taught, fantastic! What people did with it on the leadership level, pure evil.) but I am highly spiritual. I just kind of do what works for me and base my own spirituality off of my personal experience with the divine.

I don't expect people to share that exact experience so being atheist is pretty reasonable if you've never felt a definite divine presence in your life.
__________________
- Ori Whitedeer

My fanfiction: Straydog Saga / Coldnose: COTFT / Imajin That! / Mortally Wounded
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Eternal
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,525

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
I'm religious. And if you try and tell me it's crutch that I use because of some weakness or stupidity I'm trying to hide, I'll hit you so hard in the face your future child's plastic surgeon will never run out of money.
Sounds like something the Prince of Peace could get behind.
__________________
The mirror is warm and perfect, the reflection has no warbles, the form stays true when you move. But as Harry gazes, the mirror activates his magic eye to reveal a secret image. 'Oh, my God! Could it be? Are those my parents?' Harry asks. Harry knows they are dead, but could Heaven be here in this cold, cold reflection? The parents seem to animate and respond, 'This is Heaven's entrance.' His mother, she is beautiful. The guy, he seems pretty cool, too. He reaches out to feel the blue face of his world's perimeter. He wonders what it would be like, what it would have been, if these people would have remained. Harry feels his trapezius along in time with his mother. 'This is mine', they both say in scary, scary unison.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,634
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
Sounds like something the Prince of Peace could get behind.
You people really suck at the Internet.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 18,033

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
Sounds like something the Prince of Peace could get behind.
"No, wait... let me mock your silly Christianity and call it false, and then insist that I know Jesus better than you do and remind you that you need to roll over and just peacefully absorb my attacks."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,634
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
"No, wait... let me mock your silly Christianity and call it false, and then insist that I know Jesus better than you do and remind you that you need to roll over and just peacefully absorb my attacks."
Didn't you hear, Bolvar. We Christians are supposed to be quiet little whipping boys, taking the blows and insults in stride because that's what Jesus would do.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Ded Chikn Ded Chikn is offline

Elune
Ded Chikn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, Marylan- *gunshot*
Posts: 6,315
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
i megaloath them all.
awesome!


I believe in a higher power, I don't think whoever it is gives 2 shits about humanity however.

I also am pretty sure it's an alien.
__________________
"Make work your favorite. That's your new favorite."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
i don't eat pork, jesus is disappoint, judging you, serious business, too rare to die, too weird to live

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.