Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 02:37 PM

World Builder

Runes Build an RTS Mists Faction/Campaign

Example:

Aqir/Mantid Campaign: Conquer in the name of the old gods / queen!

Mogu campaign is the initial conquest of the land through the defeat of the Aqir/Mantid, and allying with Trolls, and creating their slave races.

Hero: Conqueror Lei Shen

Pandaren campaign: Overthrow the mogu with the help of the other races

Zandalar Campaign: Fight the Pandaren with the Mogu's help.

Night Elf Campaign: Overthrow the Zandalar and crush everything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8sghAju4EM
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

I like this, would be very interesting to play. Perhaps we'll have future warcraft RTS set in the past?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:58 PM

Priestess of the Moon

I remember a 'leak' a couple years back that the next WC RTS would be set in the past, and include the troll empires, and initial kaldorei...

I dunno, seems to be shaping up to me.

"Icrecrown: I hear the natives can be real liches..."
Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I made a TBC campaign concept once: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16115 (I could try making a MoP one after we get more lore).

The team was too busy with real life, so they gave up, and I couldn't get anyone else. I blame SC2 custom map downfall, everyone left after they couldn't stand Blizzard anymore .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingGod View Post
I remember a 'leak' a couple years back that the next WC RTS would be set in the past, and include the troll empires, and initial kaldorei...

Maybe it was this fake: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...5&postcount=14 If not, more information would be welcomed .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 PM

Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingGod View Post

Really?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 PM

Eternal

I'll necro this thread a bit rather than start a new one, since I think the topic is still pretty relevant.

My thinking is that Pandaren buildings and units would center around building a large Food supply, which then plays mechanically into how the units work.

For example, Pandaren Laborers (peon-unit) would have the ability to drop a Keg, which would heal nearby units and increase their movement speed slightly. Doing this would consume 1 Supply until the Keg is exhausted, meaning if you had a bunch of Laborers all drop kegs in the same place, your units would be healing up pretty quickly, but you'd have far lower Supply available until the kegs all run out.

The Brewery would train Brewmasters, and have upgrades for the Kegs, in addition to giving Brewmasters the ability to drop specialized kegs in battle.

The Shado-Pan Monastery would train Wu Kao Assassins (stealth units), Blackguard Skirmishers (fast/durable cavalry units a la Paladins), and Omnia Mystics (glass cannon ranged casters).

The Fishing Expedition would require some water tiles to build on, and would train Anglers who are essentially Supply generators who can move, drop Kegs, but can't attack.

The Farmer's Market would, on successive upgrades, enhance the Supply generated by farms and Anglers.

The Cloud Serpent Hatchery would train Cloud Serpent Riders, natch, that would be scouts/air-to-air combatants.

It's not exactly a complete faction (needs artillery, heroes) but if MoP has done anything, it's made the Pandaren much more viable as an RTS faction than they were before. If for no other reason than having more than one unit to their name.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
I'll necro this thread a bit rather than start a new one, since I think the topic is still pretty relevant.

My thinking is that Pandaren buildings and units would center around building a large Food supply, which then plays mechanically into how the units work.

For example, Pandaren Laborers (peon-unit) would have the ability to drop a Keg, which would heal nearby units and increase their movement speed slightly. Doing this would consume 1 Supply until the Keg is exhausted, meaning if you had a bunch of Laborers all drop kegs in the same place, your units would be healing up pretty quickly, but you'd have far lower Supply available until the kegs all run out.

The Brewery would train Brewmasters, and have upgrades for the Kegs, in addition to giving Brewmasters the ability to drop specialized kegs in battle.

The Shado-Pan Monastery would train Wu Kao Assassins (stealth units), Blackguard Skirmishers (fast/durable cavalry units a la Paladins), and Omnia Mystics (glass cannon ranged casters).

The Fishing Expedition would require some water tiles to build on, and would train Anglers who are essentially Supply generators who can move, drop Kegs, but can't attack.

The Farmer's Market would, on successive upgrades, enhance the Supply generated by farms and Anglers.

The Cloud Serpent Hatchery would train Cloud Serpent Riders, natch, that would be scouts/air-to-air combatants.

It's not exactly a complete faction (needs artillery, heroes) but if MoP has done anything, it's made the Pandaren much more viable as an RTS faction than they were before. If for no other reason than having more than one unit to their name.
Don't have time to add-in (wish I did), but just wanted to pop-in and say "necro approved, glad to see some gamecrafting initiative."

The Mad Admin
Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 AM

Druid of the Claw

Same as above. Thanks for saving me from my untimely necro, MisterCrow.

On that note, maybe it's just my fascination with Starcraft's acclaimed "Rock-Paper-Scissors" 3-way balance system, but every time I try and design a new/different kind of RTS, I can't help but have only 3 races. To that point (and on-topic), I think a Zandalar / Pandaren / Bug-race campaign would be the coolest thing ever.

On the note you raise, though... Well, those are some interesting thoughts. I in the past have found myself in a position to do a little Pandaren race theorycrafting (i.e. as a Wc3 mod, race addition). Lots of good ideas before, but now with MoP, we've got all sorts of information that we desperately needed (mostly; what kind of creatures the Pandaren align with/use/are exposed to). Etc:
  • So are "Cloud Serpents" the official aerial mount? [s]Bleh.[/s] Checked some Youtube and realized it's not the same as the Blood Elves' aerial mount; more like an awexome Oriental Dragon. Very cool.
  • What kind of animals do they 'have' (see above)?
  • Siege is easy; a Fireworks Cart (ala Mulan or Kung Fu Panda) that acts like the Protoss Reaver (construct fireworks; attack to fire them off)
  • Shodo-Pan is definitely one hero... Geomancer/Sage-like hero and a Wardancer should be the other two. Thus " combo warrior-mage-General / true warrior / true mage". However, the third is elusive; Brewmaster remake? Sumo warrior (great model)? Monk? Transcendent? etc.
  • Don't forget Pikemen. Switching Ranged/Melee attacks FTW.

There's loads more. I'm interested in this Keg concept (though sometimes I feel the "alcohol" aspect of the Pandaren's is played up a bit much).

Thematically (if we were, again, comparing to Starcraft), which would you say they align better with (Terran/Protoss/Zerg)? I could see either T or P, but more likely the latter.

See my signature for more discussions of this nature. : )

Also check out my two projects:
- ~Custom Race Project~
- ~Neutral Hero Additions~

Last edited by Triumvirate; 04-17-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 PM

Echo of the Past

Did Panderia introduce any herding races/factions?

I've messed with the Warcraft III editor before so that a "Shepherd" unit can train Sheep units, controllable critters that increase your food supply by 1 each. It's kind of fun having a food unit you can move around, but also wanders aimlessly itself.
"The hourglass also measures time, true? Yet here you never know which particle of sand will move from the upper half to the lower half at any instant. Were you to number the sands, the order would be slightly different each time. But the end result is always the same—all the sand has moved from the top to the bottom. What order it happens in does not matter."
-Medivh

"I've spent my life studying the timeways. If you try to count and compare blades of grass, you'll drive yourself mad."
-Kairozdormu
Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Did Panderia introduce any herding races/factions?

I've messed with the Warcraft III editor before so that a "Shepherd" unit can train Sheep units, controllable critters that add to your food supply. It's kind of fun having a food unit you can move around, but also wanders aimlessly itself.
The Pandaren keep many types of livestock, and the Yaungol seem to train yaks and mushan. I believe the jinyu keep fisheries, and the mantid have slaves and a rather broad definition of the word "food."
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
and the mantid have slaves and a rather broad definition of the word "food."
Hmm. Worker units that also count toward a tiny amount of food supply?
"The hourglass also measures time, true? Yet here you never know which particle of sand will move from the upper half to the lower half at any instant. Were you to number the sands, the order would be slightly different each time. But the end result is always the same—all the sand has moved from the top to the bottom. What order it happens in does not matter."
-Medivh

"I've spent my life studying the timeways. If you try to count and compare blades of grass, you'll drive yourself mad."
-Kairozdormu
Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I really think that the RPG books and various other Easter eggs gave enough to the pandaren to finish the fake RTS unit list. The high elves, naga, blood elves, draenei, and underworld minions (from the demo/custom campaign) all got separate tech-trees... sort of. And demons and goblins were cut. Why no pandas back then?

I will give my head canon unit list made from dubiously canon (but official) bits later.