Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: kam#1475

I wish the Alliance navy would just blockade Gilneas and settle this debate.

Quote:
6 zones + ashran, 7 new dungeons + 4 revamps (mop had 6 new, 3 revamps) with challenge modes, garrisons, several meta-story quest chains, 2 full raid tiers, new character models, more exploration content than MoP, and the most cinematics out of any expansion to date. Wow, look at all this not-content
-Odok
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
Isn't the Alliance navy an actual navy, though? The Horde navy seems to consist more of zeppelins and airships than actual boats (though it of course includes both).
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Isn't the Alliance navy an actual navy, though? The Horde navy seems to consist more of zeppelins and airships than actual boats (though it of course includes both).
The Alliance navy is actual boats and Skybreaker-style airships.

Quote:
6 zones + ashran, 7 new dungeons + 4 revamps (mop had 6 new, 3 revamps) with challenge modes, garrisons, several meta-story quest chains, 2 full raid tiers, new character models, more exploration content than MoP, and the most cinematics out of any expansion to date. Wow, look at all this not-content
-Odok
Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
The Aliance's navy isn't worth much, considering all of its losses in WoW, especially with Kul Tiras being MIA.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
The Aliance's navy isn't worth much, considering all of its losses in WoW, especially with Kul Tiras being MIA.
That's exactly why it needs to -change-.

If we go by the writing, the Alliance's army is faster to lose or surrender then France.

Quote:
-Odok
Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 PM

Elune

Kul'tiras fleet was destroyed by the Horde in the founding of Durotar; if anything remains of it, we haven't heard of it in the history of World of Warcraft.

What does surprise me, however, is that Stormwind hasn't been played up as a great naval power. Isn't Stormwind supposed to be a port-city? Isn't that, like, the basis for its economic growth and status as capitol?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Kul'tiras fleet was destroyed by the Horde in the founding of Durotar; if anything remains of it, we haven't heard of it in the history of World of Warcraft.

What does surprise me, however, is that Stormwind hasn't been played up as a great naval power. Isn't Stormwind supposed to be a port-city? Isn't that, like, the basis for its economic growth and status as capitol?
Daelin said he took half the fleet to chase after her. The other half is floating around Kul'tiras. And considering how fast Stormwind seems to be pumping out ships, I wouldn't be surprised if Kul'tiras had rebuilt it before the Cataclysm.

"You always were a cunning linguist, James"
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
Daelin said he took half the fleet to chase after her. The other half is floating around Kul'tiras. And considering how fast Stormwind seems to be pumping out ships, I wouldn't be surprised if Kul'tiras had rebuilt it before the Cataclysm.
You forgot the context. Daelin took the other half of the fleet to chase after her; the first half having been sent with Jaina in the first place.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Eternal

Quote:
You forgot the context. Daelin took the other half of the fleet to chase after her; the first half having been sent with Jaina in the first place.
Still, Stormwind pumps out those armored ships like they are going to go out of style, I can see Kul'Tiras, which didn't need to rebuild it's infrastructure after the Second War, having had rebuilt it's navy.

Then again, I can also imagine Kul'tiras holding their ships close and guarding transport ships, with Stormwind building ships to attack the Horde's lines.

All it'd take is a few things about Kul'tiras dandied about, and we'd have some answers. sigh...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Elune

If they gave us answers, it'd mean they had limited their options for what they'd be able to do with the nation once its implemented. By leaving its status open-ended, they can do whatever they want.

Assuming the nation is still around, and didn't get sucked into the Maelstrom or something.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 PM

Elune

Don't be silly.

With the recent movement of the kingdom due to the Cataclysm, Kul Tiras is going to be a half-ruined kingdom like every other Alliance-aligned human kingdom. Stormwind can't lose its place as the designated human kingdom, after all.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

Quote:
How, though? Are you suggesting they've built themselves a new port to the south? How would that port not come under siege from the Alliance, as I am assuming that the Alliance are re-inforcing Gilneas from the south.

Or do you have something else in mind? I'm struggling hard to come up with a geographical way for the Forsaken to directly launch naval assaults on Gilneas; assuming they aren't striking with the rest of the Horde.
Fine, ignore the BG that has the Forsaken assaulting Gilneas by sea.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
Fine, ignore the BG that has the Forsaken assaulting Gilneas by sea.

Has your reading comprehension been suffering lately? Any blows to the head? Perhaps someone kicked you in the face?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Thumbs up

Quote:
Has your reading comprehension been suffering lately? Any blows to the head? Perhaps someone kicked you in the face?
We know that the Forsaken are launching naval assaults against the coast of Gilneas. It not making sense to you, me, or Joe Blow doesn't make it anyless canon.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:23 AM

Elune

The Forsaken assault the northern coast of Gilneas, which is the logical point considering that Forsaken territory (and any theoretical harbors not shown in game) is to the north. Though do note that the Horde also lands in Tol Barad to the south.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2012, 01:17 AM

Eternal

If only there was a way that you could sail further down the coast.

"What about the Alliance Ships!"

They've obviously left after they dropped off Halford and crew. They are running around Gilneas, being the badass that Halford is.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
If only there was a way that you could sail further down the coast.

"What about the Alliance Ships!"

They've obviously left after they dropped off Halford and crew. They are running around Gilneas, being the badass that Halford is.
Pretty sure that those ships are destroyed. But only because Wyrmbane physically picked them up and threw them at the Horde lines, bringing down another four-dozen Horde gunships.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies… strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night… live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:33 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Pretty sure that those ships are destroyed. But only because Wyrmbane physically picked them up and threw them at the Horde lines, bringing down another four-dozen Horde gunships.
What would Halford Wyrmbane do if he were here right now?

He'd kill an orc or two, that's what Halford Wyrmbane'd do.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
We know that the Forsaken are launching naval assaults against the coast of Gilneas. It not making sense to you, me, or Joe Blow doesn't make it anyless canon.
Quote:
Or do you have something else in mind? I'm struggling hard to come up with a geographical way for the Forsaken to directly launch naval assaults on Gilneas; assuming they aren't striking with the rest of the Horde.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:54 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Quote:
We know from cdev that the Forsaken navy mostly consists of wrecks that they've salvaged from the Ocean floor, repaired and raised.

When you know that info it kindoff makes you wonder why the fuck they want the harbour in Gilneas...
What matters more, Ashenvale or Lordaeron? The debate of 2013 between Financial Adviser Archdruid Sentinel Kyalin Raintree the Tree Hugger of Ashenvale and Supreme Commander Archmage Fojar von Lordaeron the Highlord of Undead Slaying.

Two enter...and both probably will leave but everyone will be facepalming.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:55 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Whoever controls the spice, controls Gilneas...
Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
We know from cdev that the Forsaken navy mostly consists of wrecks that they've salvaged from the Ocean floor, repaired and raised.

When you know that info it kindoff makes you wonder why the fuck they want the harbour in Gilneas...
Part of me thinks the whole idea with the port was scrapped and the Forsaken are invading due to past disputes between their kingdom and Gilneas. (Plus the Worgen were a threat in Silverpine lands even before Cataclysm when you consider Shadowfang Keep and Pyrewood Village.)
Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
Part of me thinks the whole idea with the port was scrapped and the Forsaken are invading due to past disputes between their kingdom and Gilneas. (Plus the Worgen were a threat in Silverpine lands even before Cataclysm when you consider Shadowfang Keep and Pyrewood Village.)
No. The Orcs were behind pretty much every aspect of the invasion right from its inception. That along with the massive amounts of Orcish support that Sylvanas is getting for the purpose of conquering this one peninsula makes me think that it's about something that the Orcs really really want there combined with the fact that the Forsaken love killing humans. The Forsaken have proven in the past that they don't need much more motivation than that.

Unless you're talking about all the Worgen stuff in Vanilla Silverpine. If you're trying to push a "It's Lordaeron vs. Gilneas!" thing then you're wrong.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies… strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night… live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

If you say so.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:34 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
If you say so.
Apart from one throwaway line in Edge of Night the motivation you're attaching to them has never been shown. Right now the Horde motivation for the invasion of Gilneas is still ambiguous but I don't see how the port explanation doesn't work, especially when Sylvanas was still reporting to Orcs and the presence of a port elsewhere in Forsaken territory doesn't mean that it can be used to attack Stormwind.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.