Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Quirnheim Quirnheim is offline

Eternal
Quirnheim's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 3,986
BattleTag: kam#1475

Default

I wish the Alliance navy would just blockade Gilneas and settle this debate.
__________________


Quote:
6 zones + ashran, 7 new dungeons + 4 revamps (mop had 6 new, 3 revamps) with challenge modes, garrisons, several meta-story quest chains, 2 full raid tiers, new character models, more exploration content than MoP, and the most cinematics out of any expansion to date. Wow, look at all this not-content
-Odok
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Magistrix Verdande Magistrix Verdande is offline

Elune
Magistrix Verdande's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Cool Kids Club
Posts: 9,901

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
I wish the Alliance navy would just blockade Gilneas and settle this debate.
Isn't the Alliance navy an actual navy, though? The Horde navy seems to consist more of zeppelins and airships than actual boats (though it of course includes both).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manakin
I threw my wallet at the screen and gazed in despair as Blizzard raped it.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Quirnheim Quirnheim is offline

Eternal
Quirnheim's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 3,986
BattleTag: kam#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Isn't the Alliance navy an actual navy, though? The Horde navy seems to consist more of zeppelins and airships than actual boats (though it of course includes both).
The Alliance navy is actual boats and Skybreaker-style airships.
__________________


Quote:
6 zones + ashran, 7 new dungeons + 4 revamps (mop had 6 new, 3 revamps) with challenge modes, garrisons, several meta-story quest chains, 2 full raid tiers, new character models, more exploration content than MoP, and the most cinematics out of any expansion to date. Wow, look at all this not-content
-Odok
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,009
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
I wish the Alliance navy would just blockade Gilneas and settle this debate.
The Aliance's navy isn't worth much, considering all of its losses in WoW, especially with Kul Tiras being MIA.
__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Quirnheim Quirnheim is offline

Eternal
Quirnheim's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 3,986
BattleTag: kam#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
The Aliance's navy isn't worth much, considering all of its losses in WoW, especially with Kul Tiras being MIA.
That's exactly why it needs to -change-.

If we go by the writing, the Alliance's army is faster to lose or surrender then France.
__________________


Quote:
6 zones + ashran, 7 new dungeons + 4 revamps (mop had 6 new, 3 revamps) with challenge modes, garrisons, several meta-story quest chains, 2 full raid tiers, new character models, more exploration content than MoP, and the most cinematics out of any expansion to date. Wow, look at all this not-content
-Odok
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Magistrix Verdande Magistrix Verdande is offline

Elune
Magistrix Verdande's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Cool Kids Club
Posts: 9,901

Default

Kul'tiras fleet was destroyed by the Horde in the founding of Durotar; if anything remains of it, we haven't heard of it in the history of World of Warcraft.

What does surprise me, however, is that Stormwind hasn't been played up as a great naval power. Isn't Stormwind supposed to be a port-city? Isn't that, like, the basis for its economic growth and status as capitol?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manakin
I threw my wallet at the screen and gazed in despair as Blizzard raped it.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Crazyterran Crazyterran is offline

Eternal
Crazyterran's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,144
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Kul'tiras fleet was destroyed by the Horde in the founding of Durotar; if anything remains of it, we haven't heard of it in the history of World of Warcraft.

What does surprise me, however, is that Stormwind hasn't been played up as a great naval power. Isn't Stormwind supposed to be a port-city? Isn't that, like, the basis for its economic growth and status as capitol?
Daelin said he took half the fleet to chase after her. The other half is floating around Kul'tiras. And considering how fast Stormwind seems to be pumping out ships, I wouldn't be surprised if Kul'tiras had rebuilt it before the Cataclysm.
__________________

"You always were a cunning linguist, James"
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Magistrix Verdande Magistrix Verdande is offline

Elune
Magistrix Verdande's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Cool Kids Club
Posts: 9,901

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
Daelin said he took half the fleet to chase after her. The other half is floating around Kul'tiras. And considering how fast Stormwind seems to be pumping out ships, I wouldn't be surprised if Kul'tiras had rebuilt it before the Cataclysm.
You forgot the context. Daelin took the other half of the fleet to chase after her; the first half having been sent with Jaina in the first place.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manakin
I threw my wallet at the screen and gazed in despair as Blizzard raped it.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Crazyterran Crazyterran is offline

Eternal
Crazyterran's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,144
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
You forgot the context. Daelin took the other half of the fleet to chase after her; the first half having been sent with Jaina in the first place.
Still, Stormwind pumps out those armored ships like they are going to go out of style, I can see Kul'Tiras, which didn't need to rebuild it's infrastructure after the Second War, having had rebuilt it's navy.

Then again, I can also imagine Kul'tiras holding their ships close and guarding transport ships, with Stormwind building ships to attack the Horde's lines.

All it'd take is a few things about Kul'tiras dandied about, and we'd have some answers. sigh...
__________________

"You always were a cunning linguist, James"
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Magistrix Verdande Magistrix Verdande is offline

Elune
Magistrix Verdande's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Cool Kids Club
Posts: 9,901

Default

If they gave us answers, it'd mean they had limited their options for what they'd be able to do with the nation once its implemented. By leaving its status open-ended, they can do whatever they want.

Assuming the nation is still around, and didn't get sucked into the Maelstrom or something.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manakin
I threw my wallet at the screen and gazed in despair as Blizzard raped it.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,009
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

Don't be silly.

With the recent movement of the kingdom due to the Cataclysm, Kul Tiras is going to be a half-ruined kingdom like every other Alliance-aligned human kingdom. Stormwind can't lose its place as the designated human kingdom, after all.
__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Erthad Erthad is offline

Elune
Erthad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stromgarde
Posts: 8,916
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
How, though? Are you suggesting they've built themselves a new port to the south? How would that port not come under siege from the Alliance, as I am assuming that the Alliance are re-inforcing Gilneas from the south.

Or do you have something else in mind? I'm struggling hard to come up with a geographical way for the Forsaken to directly launch naval assaults on Gilneas; assuming they aren't striking with the rest of the Horde.
Fine, ignore the BG that has the Forsaken assaulting Gilneas by sea.

Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Magistrix Verdande Magistrix Verdande is offline

Elune
Magistrix Verdande's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Cool Kids Club
Posts: 9,901

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
Fine, ignore the BG that has the Forsaken assaulting Gilneas by sea.

Has your reading comprehension been suffering lately? Any blows to the head? Perhaps someone kicked you in the face?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manakin
I threw my wallet at the screen and gazed in despair as Blizzard raped it.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Erthad Erthad is offline

Elune
Erthad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stromgarde
Posts: 8,916
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Has your reading comprehension been suffering lately? Any blows to the head? Perhaps someone kicked you in the face?
We know that the Forsaken are launching naval assaults against the coast of Gilneas. It not making sense to you, me, or Joe Blow doesn't make it anyless canon.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,009
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

The Forsaken assault the northern coast of Gilneas, which is the logical point considering that Forsaken territory (and any theoretical harbors not shown in game) is to the north. Though do note that the Horde also lands in Tol Barad to the south.
__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 04-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Crazyterran Crazyterran is offline

Eternal
Crazyterran's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,144
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Default

If only there was a way that you could sail further down the coast.

"What about the Alliance Ships!"

They've obviously left after they dropped off Halford and crew. They are running around Gilneas, being the badass that Halford is.
__________________

"You always were a cunning linguist, James"
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 04-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Fojar Fojar is offline

Elune
Fojar's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Lordaeron
Posts: 14,998

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
If only there was a way that you could sail further down the coast.

"What about the Alliance Ships!"

They've obviously left after they dropped off Halford and crew. They are running around Gilneas, being the badass that Halford is.
Pretty sure that those ships are destroyed. But only because Wyrmbane physically picked them up and threw them at the Horde lines, bringing down another four-dozen Horde gunships.
__________________
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies… strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night… live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 04-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Crazyterran Crazyterran is offline

Eternal
Crazyterran's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,144
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Pretty sure that those ships are destroyed. But only because Wyrmbane physically picked them up and threw them at the Horde lines, bringing down another four-dozen Horde gunships.
What would Halford Wyrmbane do if he were here right now?

He'd kill an orc or two, that's what Halford Wyrmbane'd do.
__________________

"You always were a cunning linguist, James"
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Magistrix Verdande Magistrix Verdande is offline

Elune
Magistrix Verdande's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Cool Kids Club
Posts: 9,901

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
We know that the Forsaken are launching naval assaults against the coast of Gilneas. It not making sense to you, me, or Joe Blow doesn't make it anyless canon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Or do you have something else in mind? I'm struggling hard to come up with a geographical way for the Forsaken to directly launch naval assaults on Gilneas; assuming they aren't striking with the rest of the Horde.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manakin
I threw my wallet at the screen and gazed in despair as Blizzard raped it.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 04-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Sa'danak Sa'danak is offline

Arch-Druid
Sa'danak's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,456
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
We know from cdev that the Forsaken navy mostly consists of wrecks that they've salvaged from the Ocean floor, repaired and raised.

When you know that info it kindoff makes you wonder why the fuck they want the harbour in Gilneas...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
What matters more, Ashenvale or Lordaeron? The debate of 2013 between Financial Adviser Archdruid Sentinel Kyalin Raintree the Tree Hugger of Ashenvale and Supreme Commander Archmage Fojar von Lordaeron the Highlord of Undead Slaying.

Two enter...and both probably will leave but everyone will be facepalming.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 04-20-2012, 02:55 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 29,734
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Whoever controls the spice, controls Gilneas...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 13,444
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
We know from cdev that the Forsaken navy mostly consists of wrecks that they've salvaged from the Ocean floor, repaired and raised.

When you know that info it kindoff makes you wonder why the fuck they want the harbour in Gilneas...
Part of me thinks the whole idea with the port was scrapped and the Forsaken are invading due to past disputes between their kingdom and Gilneas. (Plus the Worgen were a threat in Silverpine lands even before Cataclysm when you consider Shadowfang Keep and Pyrewood Village.)
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Fojar Fojar is offline

Elune
Fojar's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Lordaeron
Posts: 14,998

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
Part of me thinks the whole idea with the port was scrapped and the Forsaken are invading due to past disputes between their kingdom and Gilneas. (Plus the Worgen were a threat in Silverpine lands even before Cataclysm when you consider Shadowfang Keep and Pyrewood Village.)
No. The Orcs were behind pretty much every aspect of the invasion right from its inception. That along with the massive amounts of Orcish support that Sylvanas is getting for the purpose of conquering this one peninsula makes me think that it's about something that the Orcs really really want there combined with the fact that the Forsaken love killing humans. The Forsaken have proven in the past that they don't need much more motivation than that.

Unless you're talking about all the Worgen stuff in Vanilla Silverpine. If you're trying to push a "It's Lordaeron vs. Gilneas!" thing then you're wrong.
__________________
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies… strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night… live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 13,444
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

If you say so.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 04-20-2012, 04:34 AM
Fojar Fojar is offline

Elune
Fojar's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Lordaeron
Posts: 14,998

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
If you say so.
Apart from one throwaway line in Edge of Night the motivation you're attaching to them has never been shown. Right now the Horde motivation for the invasion of Gilneas is still ambiguous but I don't see how the port explanation doesn't work, especially when Sylvanas was still reporting to Orcs and the presence of a port elsewhere in Forsaken territory doesn't mean that it can be used to attack Stormwind.
__________________
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies… strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night… live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.