Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 PM

Eternal

Default Cataclysm Recap Videos

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/459...4_11_2012#blog

Rogue legendary daggers. These videos are the best thing they have done for the lore in a long time. Heres hoping they do many more of these.

What I found interesting was the time. Dragon soul's bosses died within several weeks of eachother, making the Seige on Wyrmrest take roughly a month. The Deathwing battle taking several hours doesn't suprise me though. Cool cinematic view of the fights.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Hippogryph

I don't like the implication that the siege took so long. It makes more sense for it to be a single (mostly) continuous action. What, were Thrall and the Aspects just sitting with their thumbs up their asses, gawking at the Dragon Soul, waiting for the next wave to come? It seems like they should have been doing something.

At least, like call in backup or get help to make sure they wouldn't get overwhelmed in the next attack.

Anyway, it looks like Wrathion has, in-lore, a direct hand in Deathwing's death (via the rogue)

Interesting, too, that the Battle for Gilneas seems to be ongoing with the Forsaken, and that the Alliance seems to be very hands-off there, kinda letting the natives do the fighting.

Also, no mention of Sabellian. Does Wrathion just not know about him, or maybe isn't able to sense him in Outland? Or did Blizz just forget about one of their coolest characters?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshadowz View Post
What I found interesting was the time. Dragon soul's bosses died within several weeks of eachother, making the Seige on Wyrmrest take roughly a month. The Deathwing battle taking several hours doesn't suprise me though. Cool cinematic view of the fights.
Well I'm not sure how credible the video is in terms of a timeline, because a week between killing Ultraxion (when Deathwing flees for the Maelstrom) and killing Deathwing seems a little silly. In fact, it makes hardly any sense. We even see them defeating Blackhorn before leaving to return to Wrathion.

I mean, it's just one of those things that is going to be weird because it's a game.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
Well I'm not sure how credible the video is in terms of a timeline, because a week between killing Ultraxion (when Deathwing flees for the Maelstrom) and killing Deathwing seems a little silly.

I mean, it's just one of those things that is going to be weird because it's a game.
Taking a week to fly an airship halfway across the world makes sense to me.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Taking a week to fly an airship halfway across the world makes sense to me.
The rogue left and they waited for him?
Deathwing is a big dragon, it takes him a week?

Like I said, it's just one of those things that is destined to not make sense in a quest chain like this. They handled it how they could for the sake of making the videos act as a narrative, but I don't think the whole raid took that long.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

The last video implies Ravenholdt wasn't destroyed by the attack. I like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al'Akir View Post
Also, no mention of Sabellian. Does Wrathion just not know about him, or maybe isn't able to sense him in Outland? Or did Blizz just forget about one of their coolest characters?
I continue to fail to understand the appeal of Sabellian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Elune
BattleTag: MayhemInc#2519

I think it makes sense that the siege lasted a month, the rogue could have slipped in and out during it both due to his skills and also because no one gives a crap about him, Thrall and the Aspects were the real targets.

All in all it was entertaining, still I wonder about how correct he is about taking out all the dragons, because Sabelian and Serrinar both of which are powerful black wyrms are unaccounted for, also I wonder if he dared kill the Dragonmaw drakes, thus bringing the wrath of the Horde upon himself. And if so are the Dragonmaw now drakeless or did they acquire protodragons from Northrend? Also does this imply that the Red Dragonflight is also corrupted? It would be an interesting, though typical of warcraft, turn of events if the reds became the new blacks after hunting them down.

So many questions, so little lore
Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
Interesting, too, that the Battle for Gilneas seems to be ongoing with the Forsaken, and that the Alliance seems to be very hands-off there, kinda letting the natives do the fighting.
I think we have an entire thread dedicated to this subject here. "Control of Gilneas" or something of the sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Did you really just politicize toilet paper flushing?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 PM

Elune

durz dis meen alience kill on detahwing iz cannun???
Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictimelion View Post
durz dis meen alience kill on detahwing iz cannun???
Oh God.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 AM

Sentinel Queen

Interesting, the only dragon that whelpling is afraid of is an Aspect. I forgot that Wrathion was indeed a whelpling until he shifts to draconic form. I suppose it's hard to take him seriously otherwise.

Why would the Red Flight try to assassinate him if they spent so much effort and time creating him in the first place? Seems kind of off.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malygos View Post
Interesting, the only dragon that whelpling is afraid of is an Aspect. I forgot that Wrathion was indeed a whelpling until he shifts to draconic form. I suppose it's hard to take him seriously otherwise.

Why would the Red Flight try to assassinate him if they spent so much effort and time creating him in the first place? Seems kind of off.
I think it was more him trying to get your help more by saying 'Oh they wanna kill me' when in truth they likely just wanted him to be by them so he could be watched just in case.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Honestly his interactions with and mentions of the Red Dragonflight in general seem a bit "off". Like he doesn't really care that by his own measure (hence the quests to kill Nalice and Creed), the only reasonable alternative to their actions in purifying him would have been exterminating him along with the rest of Deathwing's irredeemable offspring.

Wrathion himself understands the need to eliminate Deathwing's corruption from the world (and cites preventing the suffering Nalice and Creed would cause otherwise, suggesting a not entirely selfish motivation for their assassinations), yet the whole first half of his narration carries a tone of "how dare the Reds do those fully justifiable things to my psychopathic genocidal bastard father and his equally despicable and insane flight?"

I mean, he knows that his own brethren would do far worse than what the Red Flight did to completely innocent beings and enjoy every last minute of it (Nefarian basically did do such things with his experiments), yet we're supposed to think Alexstrasza's flight are the real bad guys here? Especially when Deathwing then sought to murder his own progeny expressly to prevent the birth of a black dragon who wouldn't be doomed to a life of the Old Gods' voices driving him to inflict horror and death upon the world?

For someone who seems to have a remarkably clear understanding of the situation, he's awfully fixated on skirting the horrific alternatives to his own purification. The logical reason for the Red Flight to have attacked Wrathion would be if they think Deathwing's corruption got to him and he's become a threat, and when the smoke clears he honestly seems to have done everything he could to reinforce such an impression, perhaps guaranteeing that they'll mistakenly keep hunting for him to prevent him from spreading his father's madness.

Plus, naturally the questline raises one of those situations where we're likely to be left wondering why the hero involved doesn't just ask Alexstrasza and the other (former) Aspects - with whom they've worked extensively by then to save Azeroth - just what's going on and explain the situation to them.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I continue to fail to understand the appeal of Sabellian
He's a pre-wotlk character, created entirely within the game, who has an iota more personality than practically any other character created up to that point in-game. That makes him inherently interesting. He's also a bad guy who is not bad to you, and people like anti-heroes and anti-villains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think we have an entire thread dedicated to this subject here. "Control of Gilneas" or something of the sort.
I stopped paying attention to Forsaken-themed threads a long, long time ago.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
He's also a bad guy who is not bad to you, and people like anti-heroes and anti-villains.
You consider him a villian simply because he's black? Obvious colour bias.

Jokes, of course.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:10 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
You consider him a villian simply because he's black? Obvious colour bias.

Jokes, of course.
Dragons colour-coded for your convenience
Old 04-13-2012, 06:55 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Wrathion mentions that he heard the Red's plotting, but never says exactly what their plans were. I can completely believe that some of those plots were actual threats to his freedom, and that on hearing them he'd get a vastly different image of the Red's than the players are likely to see. He's a whelp without a flight, and regardless of what the Red's actual intentions are, to him they're just using him as a pawn in their own games.

The Mad Admin