Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Default "I Need a Name": The Unnamed Geography of Azeroth

This is a thread about discussing and unofficially naming the unnamed portions of Azeroth geography in the game.

Here's the deal. I need your help. I am working on a massive Gilneas Compendium, and I am not sure what these portions of Gilneas are called, if anything. (Pardon my Rolandius and Ashendant desire to name and categorize things.) The areas whose names I am unsure about or needing a name are numerated.

#1: The source of the Northgate River in the mountains between Silverpine and Gilneas. Is it a lake? Does it have a formal name?

#2: The wetlands south of Pyrewood Village.

#3: The western bay around Keel Harbor and Gilneas City.

#4: The lands and shore between Tempest's Reach and Emberstone.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

What does the environment look like? What significant landmarks, structures, or individuals are in the area? What about its history? Finally, how does this area affect the surrounding areas (e.g. Northgate's source could be called Gate's Well).

The Mad Admin
Old 04-12-2012, 03:17 PM

Revenant - Moderator

#1: The source seems to be a mountain lake, but the waterfall is caused by a break in the wall, yet the surrounding geography suggests that the waterfall was supposed to be there. Not sure what that story is.

#2: Northgate marsh or Pyrewood marsh? Marsh Crocolisks live there.

#3: Keel bay?

#4: Full of sheep. Places like "Duskhaven" and "The Bite" were worgen themed even before the worgen, so... Sheprend maybe?

Last edited by Revenant; 04-12-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
What does the environment look like? What significant landmarks, structures, or individuals are in the area? What about its history? Finally, how does this area affect the surrounding areas (e.g. Northgate's source could be called Gate's Well).
#1 I have not found pictures of Northgate's source, that lake or whatever it is, in the mountains, so I can't say. I may call the waterfalls the "Emberstone Falls" or the "Northgate Falls."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
#1: The source seems to be a mountain lake, but the waterfall is caused by a break in the wall, yet the surrounding geography suggests that the waterfall was supposed to be there. Not sure what that story is.
Maybe the water may have been meant to go through portions of the wall, but the wall there nevertheless broke?

Quote:
#2: Northgate marsh or Pyrewood marsh? Marsh Crocolisks live there.
And humorously enough, "swamp crocolisks" live in the Hailwood Marsh. My strongest contender for a provisional name has been the Pyrewood Marsh. In the WoW Classic questing, that region is actually where the bloodsnout worg were located, which can be modified for a worg-inspired marsh name. Howlwind Marsh? I don't know.

Quote:
#3: Keel bay?
I've thought about Keel Bay, Bay of Gilneas, and Aderic Bay.

Quote:
#4: Full of sheep. Places like "Duskhaven" and "The Bite" were worgen themed even before the worgen, so... Sheprend maybe?
Probably something "hillish."
Old 04-12-2012, 04:09 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Old 04-12-2012, 04:15 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

For the marshes, I suggest looking up flora from British or Scandanavian bogs(essentially any place that's a cold, damp bog). Something that implies either fangs or fur.

I like the idea of Gatefall for the lake. Maybe the Gatefall Reservoir.

Cold Channel Bay, describing both the water and the fact that trade ran cold during Gilneas' isolation.

Colin's Clout - A pun on the area's name, a reference to the story, and within it, several ironic ideas surrounding the Worgen, Sylvanas, and the three traitorous Lords.

The Mad Admin
Old 04-12-2012, 04:23 PM

Trade Baroness

I'd name #3 Aderic's Landing. Make Aderic a Vrykul and first King of Gilneas and we are set (If calling a bay "Landing" seems strange let's say they called the whole bay Aderic's Landing because they didn't know the exact spot.)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
For the marshes, I suggest looking up flora from British or Scandanavian bogs(essentially any place that's a cold, damp bog). Something that implies either fangs or fur.
Bloodfang Bog? They had to have received the name of their pack from something.

Quote:
Cold Channel Bay, describing both the water and the fact that trade ran cold during Gilneas' isolation.
That could work well.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

How many Warcraft projects do you plan to take on before your head explodes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
AndyJP is indisputably superior to me in every way.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Bloodfang Bog? They had to have received the name of their pack from something.

That could work well.
I'm not really a fan of "evil" sounding swamps, feels a bit generic, but it works on every level I can think of.

The Mad Admin
Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
I'm not really a fan of "evil" sounding swamps, feels a bit generic, but it works on every level I can think of.
I'm open to further suggestions, as I'm not entirely pleased with "Bloodfang Bog" either. I may just go with Pyrewood Bog so that it's clear what geographic area I am talking about. Then if Blizzard decides to actually give the area a name, I can just as easily change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
How many Warcraft projects do you plan to take on before your head explodes?
I do this as an outlet to keep my head from exploding due to graduate school. How many do I have? When I initially created the Seven Kingdoms project, I actually had the Gilneas Compendium in mind. I wanted to gather facts about Gilneas, but I then decided to begin doing the same for the other kingdoms, since I am a Seven Kingdoms geek. I was kind of hoping to get more help for the big kingdoms of Lordaeron and Stormwind once I got to them, but that has yet to happen. I needed a change of pace, so I decided to work on my planned Gilneas Compendium. I have PMed Grimtale my current, but incomplete, index of topics.
Quote:
Geography

Climate

Geographic Features
* Coasts
* Rivers
* Wetlands
* Mountains
* Forests

Biodiversity
* Flora
- Herbs
- Crops
* Fauna
- Aquatic
- Domesticated
- Game
- Humanoid
- Invertebrates
- Reptiles & Amphibians

Major Towns and Cities

Government & Politics
Capital
Flag
Government
Anthem
Battle Cry
Nobility
Local Government

Gilnean Military
* Militia
* Royal and City Guards

Foreign Policy & Relations

Economy

Natural Resources
* Precious Metals & Minerals
* Lumber
* Agriculture & Fishing
- Known Farms and Fisheries
* Livestock
- Sheep
- Horses
- Pigs

Maritime Trade

Industrial Capital

Culture

Architecture
Clothing
Media

Festivals and Holidays
* Hallow's End
* Noblegarden
* Royal Aderic Banquet

Religion & Spirituality

Church of the Holy Light
* Clergy
* Known Religious Sites
* Light's Dawn Cathedral

Druidism

Ancestral Veneration (?)

Wolf Cult

Goldrinn, the Wolf Ancient

Elune, the Moon Goddess

History of Gilneas

Prominent Lore Figures of Gilneas

The Worgen Condition
It's presently around 4500 words or roughly 10 pages in Microsoft Word. The Gilneas Compendium is admittedly laced together with some measure of necessary speculation to fill and connect the gaps of data, but it is built upon available data and a lot of minutia. It would also be nice to create a Stormwind Compendium, especially for Alliance players who do not feel as personally connected with or familiar with the Kingdom of Stormwind, but that would be a long way off in the future.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

#1: The source of the Northgate River in the mountains between Silverpine and Gilneas. Is it a lake? Does it have a formal name?
There was clearly a lake in the mountains that was later dammed by the wall, and probably a culvert in the wall at that point, part of the wall has collapsed and even if the design in-game does not suggest it (no evidence of a flood, normal reed vegetation around the edges of the water) the lake under the wall was probably much smaller if there was even a lake there before the cataclysm cracked the wall.

Quote:
#2: The wetlands south of Pyrewood Village.
How do you feel about "Silverlaine marshes"?

Quote:
it looks pretty rugged and glacial for a river estuary in-game, how do you feel about "The Firth of Keel" or "Gilneas sound"

Quote:
Since there's nothing of importance here go with a fairly generic geographical name I'd say, "The East downs" maybe, also maybe of interest to you, there's a load of seats arranged facing an awning overlooking the sea on top of the mountain in the southern part of this region, Looks like the sort of setup you would use for a wedding.
Easter egg or significant local landmark?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
There was clearly a lake in the mountains that was later dammed by the wall, and probably a culvert in the wall at that point, part of the wall has collapsed and even if the design in-game does not suggest it (no evidence of a flood, normal reed vegetation around the edges of the water) the lake under the wall was probably much smaller if there was even a lake there before the cataclysm cracked the wall.

How do you feel about "Silverlaine marshes"?

it looks pretty rugged and glacial for a river estuary in-game, how do you feel about "The Firth of Keel" or "Gilneas sound"

Since there's nothing of importance here go with a fairly generic geographical name I'd say, "The East downs" maybe, also maybe of interest to you, there's a load of seats arranged facing an awning overlooking the sea on top of the mountain in the southern part of this region, Looks like the sort of setup you would use for a wedding.
Easter egg or significant local landmark?
Hmm, modify it a bit to Silvermane's Moss (or similar synonym to marsh). Nice little reference to Worgen and it keeps a name that would've made sense before their invasion (Silvermane as in a constant mist over top the land).

The Mad Admin
Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 AM

The Sun King

Alliance Flag

Quote:
Not the bay itself, but the waterfront around it I'd call "Gilnean Chanell" for the Gilneans, or "La Chute" in Lordaeronian.

Quote:
The Trollfall coast, in memory of a hypothetical victory against Trollish invaders from Zul'Dare.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Not the bay itself, but the waterfront around it I'd call "Gilnean Chanell" for the Gilneans, or "La Chute" in Lordaeronian.

The Trollfall coast, in memory of a hypothetical victory against Trollish defenders from Zul'Dare.
Fixed
Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Fixed
Since Zul'dare attacked the Alliance and joined the Horde, and was even the Horde's base of operations in the area, calling them defenders in any context other than: "The brutal trolls, who had raided Alliance settlements, were destroyed while they defended their base at Zul'dare."

But I like the Trollsfall idea for the coast, the only thing is, the Trolls raided Hillsbrad, not Gilneas, no?

I'm still going off my Warcraft 2 stuff, so if they changed it, my bad.

"You always were a cunning linguist, James"
Old 04-14-2012, 01:21 AM

Guru of Gilneas

At the risk of an obviously corny name, when reconsidering #3, how does "Seawolf Bay" sound? I can't help but wonder about the nature of maritime Gilneas with the Brashtide crew of pirates being stuck and the pirate Baron Longshore being a Gilnean.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:44 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
But I like the Trollsfall idea for the coast, the only thing is, the Trolls raided Hillsbrad, not Gilneas, no?

I'm still going off my Warcraft 2 stuff, so if they changed it, my bad.
Well, like I said: it's hypothetical. The Horde's attacks form Zul'Dare were launched at Hillsbrad, Southshore and Tol Barad, but given its location, I'd imagine that there would be attacks at Gilnean coast, even before the Horde.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:34 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Well, like I said: it's hypothetical. The Horde's attacks form Zul'Dare were launched at Hillsbrad, Southshore and Tol Barad, but given its location, I'd imagine that there would be attacks at Gilnean coast, even before the Horde.
I'm not sure the trolls could considering that Gilneas's coast largely prevented naval attacks.