Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
Hmm, right now I am actually pondering about returning to WoW for a year... I totally missed all Cataclysm related things and so I wouldn't mind the long wait for MoP. Also, using the scrolls of ressurection I'd get Cata for free.

Do you think it would be worth it?
Getting a 3fer (Cata, Beta, and Diablo) makes it reasonably worthwhile if you really are planning to stick out the year.

The Mad Admin
Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I took the annual pass somewhere at the beginning of January, and I honestly don't know if it really is worth it. I kinda like the mount I got because it fits my Paladin character, but other than that I haven't really found logging on to beta to be all that exciting.

And now that my guild is taking a hiatus from hard modes I really have been considering cancelling my sub but I just don't really want to do it because I know it won't be a long cancellation and there's a chance I might go back to raiding again. Still things have been pretty frustrating between me and the game in terms of experiences I've had.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:17 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
Hmm, right now I am actually pondering about returning to WoW for a year... I totally missed all Cataclysm related things and so I wouldn't mind the long wait for MoP. Also, using the scrolls of ressurection I'd get Cata for free.

Do you think it would be worth it?
For you, it would be worth it, free expansion, still tons of time to do the content and your year of WoW will actually blend into the next expansion being relevant so you won't suffer from the stagnant play. The beta to me isn't much of a reward, it's just a good way to spoil the game for yourself and get tired of the content before it's even out before I goes live months later. Its not something anyone should spend a ton of time with. It's nice to test out builds, new combat mechanics and other such stuff however. The current beta community is a cesspool of entitled jackasses as it is because of the method of distribution they chose this time around. The game is enough of a chore as it is, to lose all that progress and have to redo it... not good times.

Diablo 3 is pretty sweet, so once you have killed Ol' Deathwing a few times and got a couple tools to 85 (which will be easy with your free 80) you basically have something to do if MoP isn't close at that point. I wish I didn't sign up for this pass when I did, I'm jealous of you.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:54 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Getting a 3fer (Cata, Beta, and Diablo) makes it reasonably worthwhile if you really are planning to stick out the year.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO STICK IT OUT FOR A YEAR.

God, you people are dense.

Also, let me send you the scroll so I can get the free mount, kthx.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
YOU DON'T HAVE TO STICK IT OUT FOR A YEAR.

God, you people are dense.

Also, let me send you the scroll so I can get the free mount, kthx.
You do if you want to keep D3 and beta access, which is the entire point of the exercise. Otherwise, what's the point of it?

The Mad Admin
Old 04-24-2012, 02:08 PM

Ashbringer
BattleTag: Montoya#1769

Quote:
You do if you want to keep D3 and beta access, which is the entire point of the exercise. Otherwise, what's the point of it?
Tyrael's Charger :-p
Montoya = Tauren Arms/Prot Warrior
Felbane = Blood Elf Demo/Destro Warlock
Old 04-24-2012, 02:13 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
Tyrael's Charger :-p
Which goes away forever if you cancel. 15 bucks a month to rent a lame digital horse.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
The point is that you can try all the D3 and Beta goodness for a few months while you enjoy your free level 80 and free Cata upgrade, then decide which you really want to keep and make a decision based on that.

If you decide D3's not all that great, and the Beta is over, or nearly so, and you don't want to play WoW anymore, you cancel. No loss.

If you decide you love D3 but don't care for anything else, you cancel. You buy D3, which only costs about what 4 months of WoW would cost you, and save on not having the recurring subscription.

Honestly, it's not a difficult decision if you have ANY interest in D3. Unless you absolutely fucking hate Warcraft and never ever ever want to touch it anytime soon, you should get the annual pass. Now is the perfect time. Diablo is about to drop. You could conceivably get a month of WoW, D3, and MoP beta for $15.

If you like the WoW, you keep it, and keep all the perks.

If you only like D3, you cancel AP, pay $60 for D3, save $75 on not having to keep AP for the rest of the year.

Why is this difficult?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
The point is that you can try all the D3 and Beta goodness for a few months while you enjoy your free level 80 and free Cata upgrade, then decide which you really want to keep and make a decision based on that.

If you decide D3's not all that great, and the Beta is over, or nearly so, and you don't want to play WoW anymore, you cancel. No loss.

If you decide you love D3 but don't care for anything else, you cancel. You buy D3, which only costs about what 4 months of WoW would cost you, and save on not having the recurring subscription.

Honestly, it's not a difficult decision if you have ANY interest in D3. Unless you absolutely fucking hate Warcraft and never ever ever want to touch it anytime soon, you should get the annual pass. Now is the perfect time. Diablo is about to drop. You could conceivably get a month of WoW, D3, and MoP beta for $15.

If you like the WoW, you keep it, and keep all the perks.

If you only like D3, you cancel AP, pay $60 for D3, save $75 on not having to keep AP for the rest of the year.

Why is this difficult?
Let me reiterate, time is the issue. At the end of the day you cannot spend your time on both WoW and D3, so you're spending money on game time that you won't be using. Therefore, the annual pass is only useful if you're either A) Looking for the other perks or B) plan to postpone playing D3 until after the AP sub is finished. You think you're saving money, right up until you look at the actual entertainment hours per unit price.

Not to mention, this is the digital version of D3, so if you want to snag a collector's edition kit you're forking over more money now for a duplicate copy.

The Mad Admin
Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Let me reiterate, time is the issue. At the end of the day you cannot spend your time on both WoW and D3, so you're spending money on game time that you won't be using. Therefore, the annual pass is only useful if you're either A) Looking for the other perks or B) plan to postpone playing D3 until after the AP sub is finished. You think you're saving money, right up until you look at the actual entertainment hours per unit price.

Not to mention, this is the digital version of D3, so if you want to snag a collector's edition kit you're forking over more money now for a duplicate copy.
1. Why is time an issue? On Monday, I play WoW. On Tuesday, I play Diablo. Where is it written that I have to play nothing but one game for an extended period of time? This offer gives gamers (who usually play more than one game) a chance to try both. If you sample them for a month or two, and then decide on one or the other, it's still a fantastic value. The only way you lose money on this deal is if you cancel Annual Pass after 9 months and THEN pay full retail for D3. Otherwise, the math tells you to just get Annual Pass.

2. You can get the collector's edition for the price difference if you maintain Annual Pass, I believe... regardless, I'm arguing from a point of bargain-consciousness... and economical gamers don't pay extra for frilly crap that comes with collector's editions. But, whatever.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:49 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
1. Why is time an issue? On Monday, I play WoW. On Tuesday, I play Diablo. Where is it written that I have to play nothing but one game for an extended period of time? This offer gives gamers (who usually play more than one game) a chance to try both. If you sample them for a month or two, and then decide on one or the other, it's still a fantastic value. The only way you lose money on this deal is if you cancel Annual Pass after 9 months and THEN pay full retail for D3. Otherwise, the math tells you to just get Annual Pass.

2. You can get the collector's edition for the price difference if you maintain Annual Pass, I believe... regardless, I'm arguing from a point of bargain-consciousness... and economical gamers don't pay extra for frilly crap that comes with collector's editions. But, whatever.
Time is money, the less time spent on it, the less efficient the purchase is. I'm not saying that you have to play WoW, but that at some point the efficiency of the purchase begins to wane.

If your lifestyle is fairly stable and you know you're going to play both games at a reasonable level of monetary efficiency, it's not a question, get the pass. If on the other hand there are potential problems accessing these things (internet access, other time/money obligations, etc) purchasing the AP becomes a questionable choice. That's why I haven't gotten it, I can't guarantee the kind of efficiency that's necessary to make it a worthwhile investment. If I could, I would have, but to each their own.

The Mad Admin
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

You get four free months of WoW if you get the collector's edition while subscribed to the Annual Pass.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.