Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 04-21-2012, 05:04 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

Blizzard Someone Bump My Thread!

The world is at steak here! If people don't bump my post on the WoW forums, the WORLD AS WE KNOW IT WILL END! If Blizzard does not fix Monks then too many people will play them! WE CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN!

Quote:
Yesterday I began the Mists of Pandaria Beta and I can genuinely say that the game is shaping up well. After playing through the Pandaren starting zone as a Monk I would like to conclude several feelings I have for low level Monks:

1. Monks are very fulfilling to level due to the immersion brought by the "high level-styled" quests; they naturally work very well for the Pandaren starting zone.

2. Jab is very balanced in terms of how often you can use it.

3. Roll is a great mechanic, but I've noticed the distance traveled varies quite drastically; in addition, it lacks any sign of a cooldown on its tooltip.

4. Tiger Palm and Blackout Kick are very unique in the way they work, but I feel they are very clunky. Blackout Kick feels like an Execute-like ability, but isn't one; I believe making it only work on targets below twenty percent health will the ability more appropriate.

5. Towards the end of the starting zone I finally understood what the floating white orbs were: Chi! The learning curve was to strenuous for myself to understand their purpose, even though I have yet to understand their cause.

6. I noticed while choosing my specialization that I would not be able to have all three stances on my action bars. Being a Windwalker Monk, I feel that my stance serves no use to me on my bars because I will never have multiple stances learned.

I may have a solution pertaining number 6. Looking into the Monk's core abilities, I can only find abilities that would not be used by the unintended specialization. For example, Healing Sphere is obviously intended for Mistweaver Monks; it serves little to no use for other specializations (in combat).

Monks should feel more hybrid-like since they are in fact a hybrid class. If each stance is nerfed and given as a core ability, Monks would be able to switch stances and feel versatile. In order to compensate for the loss of specialization-specific stances, certain stances could be buffed depending on the specialization (ex. Stance of the Sturdy Ox reduces damage taken by 10% without being specialized as a Brewmaster; once specialized as a Brewmaster, it reduces damage taken by 20%, with the effects it currently covers either turned into separate passive abilities or included in the stance).

Monks should be able to feel a bit like Druids in that they can do a little bit of healing (although very ineffective) and act as a tank (as much as a Enhancement Shaman) even if they aren't specialized into those roles.
Source
Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbmitch View Post
The world is at steak here! If people don't bump my post on the WoW forums, the WORLD AS WE KNOW IT WILL END! If Blizzard does not fix Monks then too many people will play them! WE CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN!

Source
You didn't criticize the fact there are no unarmed weapons to a unarmed class

I'm mad now
Old 04-21-2012, 05:16 PM

Arch-Druid

I don't even want to think about that... I was just so pissed off at the fact that they're throwing weapons at you every which way... YOU SHOULD SAY THAT!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: MayhemInc#2519

I think the stance mechanic has been cheapened up enough with DK presences, no need to further dilute it.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:44 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I think the stance mechanic has been cheapened up enough with DK presences, no need to further dilute it.
What, you never once complained about Druid forms or Warrior stances?

Either they change the core abilities or stances WILL be diluted (you'll only ever have access to one stance).

Bump the post so this will get noticed!

Last edited by mjbmitch; 04-21-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 PM

Elune

I'm more pissed that there isn't a Red Crane stance.

MY IMMERSION!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:51 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I'm more pissed that there isn't a Red Crane stance.

MY IMMERSION!
How can you be immersed if you don't even play the game? It is only recently that you even got a trial account.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
How can you be immersed if you don't even play the game? It is only recently that you even got a trial account.
It's a bad joke.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
What, you never once complained about Druid forms or Warrior stances?

Either they change the core abilities or stances WILL be diluted (you'll only ever have access to one stance).

Bump the post so this will get noticed!
My point is that DK presences and warrior stances are considerably similar (while druid forms are way more complex and hunter aspects are way more simple, so neither count) and what ever the case adding what you want would further cheapen warriors.

If I am following you right, currently the rule is that each spec of monk has one stance in which it operates. This imo is different enough from warrs and co. to feel at least somewhat fresh.

And if I could I would bump your thread even if I disagree, sadly I no longer play WoW.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Elune

Quote:

Source
Mmmmm steak.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:08 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Mmmmm steak.
I fucking love steak
Old 04-22-2012, 03:35 AM

The Sun King

Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
My point is that DK presences and warrior stances are considerably similar (while druid forms are way more complex and hunter aspects are way more simple, so neither count) and what ever the case adding what you want would further cheapen warriors.

If I am following you right, currently the rule is that each spec of monk has one stance in which it operates. This imo is different enough from warrs and co. to feel at least somewhat fresh.

And if I could I would bump your thread even if I disagree, sadly I no longer play WoW.
You do realize that having a stance mechanic for any class should at least require player interaction? Currently, Monks cannot choose any other stance as they only have one. That means the stance mechanic for monks is completely useless since it is equivalent to a specialization-specific passive ability that strengthens their roles (because of the complete lack of player interaction with it); instead of putting a non-interactive button on player's action bars, Blizzard should either follow their non-interactive route and convert stances into a passive ability for each specialization, or make stances so that they are more versatile and can be swapped to fulfill multiple roles in the way Warriors and Druids can.

There is no way that you would think that players should have a button that serves absolutely no use of having on their bars (since it is automatically turned on for you and cannot be toggled off -- thus containing no interaction); it is akin to a passive ability.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I love fucking steak.

Wait, what?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
We'll bang, okay?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:26 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

I have excepted steak as my own personal lord and savory. I shall rarely falter, its well be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
I love fucking steak.

Wait, what?
Stupid sexy tauren...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 04-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
You do realize that having a stance mechanic for any class should at least require player interaction? Currently, Monks cannot choose any other stance as they only have one. That means the stance mechanic for monks is completely useless since it is equivalent to a specialization-specific passive ability that strengthens their roles (because of the complete lack of player interaction with it); instead of putting a non-interactive button on player's action bars, Blizzard should either follow their non-interactive route and convert stances into a passive ability for each specialization, or make stances so that they are more versatile and can be swapped to fulfill multiple roles in the way Warriors and Druids can.

There is no way that you would think that players should have a button that serves absolutely no use of having on their bars (since it is automatically turned on for you and cannot be toggled off -- thus containing no interaction); it is akin to a passive ability.
Again I am talking from the dark here, but if the monk stances are very powerful or meaningful then perhaps Blizzard thinks that they need to be seen as buffs by players of other classes. Or simply as a tool to differentiate between differently specced monks, because apparently Blizzard wants it so.

Though if you ask me, I would say those stances could be worked over so that they are very beneficial to the monk, except in a few rare cases in which the monk should, and needs to be able to, toggle the presence off.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Arch-Druid

You can't toggle off the stance; it's literally like a buff that you cannot interact with.