Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Default Cenarion?

After much procrastination I finally completed the revamped Desolace quests. Uniting the centaur was very fun, but I noticed something strange. They keep talking about "Cenarion". Saying things like

-"For our father, Cenarion!"
-"May the blessings of Cenarion rain down upon you as it has this land, <race>."
-"We stand united as the sons of Cenarion thanks to you!"
-"Long live the children of Cenarion!"

Who is "Cenarion"? Is it some misspelling of Cenarius? A centaur name for Zaetar? Some sort of centaur-god? It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere else.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
After much procrastination I finally completed the revamped Desolace quests. Uniting the centaur was very fun, but I noticed something strange. They keep talking about "Cenarion". Saying things like

-"May the blessings of Cenarion rain down upon you as it has this land, <race>."

Who is "Cenarion"? Is it some misspelling of Cenarius? A centaur name for Zaetar? Some sort of centaur-god? It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere else.
I always assumed he was some unspecified Centaur historical figure or possibly god (just like, say, Ageon). Etymologically it's pretty much between "Cenarius" and "Centaur".
Old 04-28-2012, 06:33 PM

Trade Baroness

Quote:

Most of the druid organizations have the word Cenarion in their name. I guess it is another way to say Cenarius or a mixture of Cenarius and Malfurion (the founders of the Cenarion Circle). If it is the later I guess having the Centaurs use the name Cenarion might just be an error.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I always assumed he was some unspecified Centaur historical figure or possibly god (just like, say, Ageon). Etymologically it's pretty much between "Cenarius" and "Centaur".
Most likely, I'm still surprised its never been brought up before. Even Ageon has had some discussions here and is talked about on Wowpedia.

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 04-28-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 PM

Elune

It could be that, considering the centaur dont have scripture (I think), "Cenarius" eventually degraded into "Cenarion"
Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Most likely, I'm still surprised its never been brought up before. Even Ageon has had some discussions here and is talked about on Wowpedia.
Not all of us are cut out to be fact finders.
Discussing the lore is enough for him. A master of facts and reason. Words are his weapons of choice. He deftly posts snide comments with deep-biting cynicism. His ego is healthy enough that he does not need to take online tests and post the results in his signature to gain a sense of identity or self-worth. He also probably did not take this test over again until he got the results he wanted. The Guy Who Didn't Take the 'RPG Personality Test' strives for logic, truth, and sanity above all else.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Oh shit you already know what Ageon is!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Not all of us are cut out to be fact finders.
Did you know Geomancers can control Troggs?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM

Trade Baroness

I'll repost my theories in an extended format in hopes that someone will read them... Here we go:

We've got the Cenarion Circle and Cenarion Expedition. What do those organizations have in common with Centaurs? They are all related to Cenarius. This implicates that Cenarion a synonym for Cenarius.

Then there's also the fact that the Cenarion Circle was founded by Cenarius and Malfurion which would lead credence to my second theory. If this is the case, and Cenarion is a combination of the founders names, then the usage of the word Cenarion in this quest line is an error.

Omacron, if possible, find out what Cenarion stands for. (Unless they don't allow you to tell us )

Last edited by Nazja; 04-28-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I had always thought of it as an adjective meaning "-relating to/of Cenarius", like the "Thuzadin" necromancers in Stratholme.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
I had always thought of it as an adjective meaning "-relating to/of Cenarius", like the "Thuzadin" necromancers in Stratholme.
This. Thats why I thinks its a bastardization of Cenarius in the Centaur case
Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I'm guessing it is a typo, or them being poetic.

I've always assumed that Cenarion was the adjective from of Cenarius.
The Green Shirt Guy: Hello. I have- I just finished reading stuff yesterday... and I noticed something. It said that Kul Tiras was going to be in the Alliance, but in the beta it's gone, and Kul Tiras is not in the game at all. What happened to it?

Chris Metzen: Isn't Kul Tiras burning in slag? ...from, uh, Blood of Our Fathers? ...No?

The Green Shirt Guy: No, it survived, and, in fact, it is- was around off-screen in vanilla WoW and through Wrath of the Lich King.

Chris Metzen: Right, of course. Uh. Yeah, Fargo, what's up with that?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:52 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post

I've always assumed that Cenarion was the adjective from of Cenarius.

Yeah. I'm guessing whoever wrote those lines confused Cenarius and Zaetar and thought that Cenarion was his name instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Yeah. I'm guessing whoever wrote those lines confused Cenarius and Zaetar and thought that Cenarion was his name instead.
Then Bridge Brilliance would apply as Zaetar is a Cenarion

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 04-29-2012 at 05:58 AM..
Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM

Elune

As far as Elven organizations called up after actual people goes, it's always struck me as odd that the Elves chose "Cenarion" and not "Cenari".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Did you really just politicize toilet paper flushing?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:21 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
As far as Elven organizations called up after actual people goes, it's always struck me as odd that the Elves chose "Cenarion" and not "Cenari".
Cenari just sounds weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 AM

Elune

Well, it's how elves typically call themselves once they become followers. Followers of Illidan became Illidari. Azshari. Illusiari.

The Cenari wouldn't sound odd if it was named that from the get-go.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Well, it's how elves typically call themselves once they become followers. Followers of Illidan became Illidari. Azshari. Illusiari.

The Cenari wouldn't sound odd if it was named that from the get-go.
What are "Illusiari?"

Of those three, I can only find Illidari and Azshari in-game, and the latter's only used for an inanimate object in a quest and the second half of the name of the Highborne capital. The moniker for Azshara's followers was Quel'dorei, which at the time was the literal ford for "the Highborne", and being Highborne inherently made them hers. Some of her followers having some cultish name like "the Azshari" would be kind of redundant, since their very existence as naga (and before that Highborne elves) already bears the built-in assumption of being their queen's personal caste of special snowflakes.

Plus hypothetically, if Cenarius' name were similarly adapted, it would probably be "Cenarii" with two i's, since Illidan's followers were the Illidari and not the Illidi. Nonetheless, the druids don't really call themselves "Cenarions" the same way the Illidari associated themselves with Illidan. "Cenarion Protectors", for example, is more a reference to them being "Protectors of the Cenarion Circle" rather than naming them "Protectors of Cenarius Himself".

Last edited by ARM3481; 04-29-2012 at 02:11 AM..
Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
What are "Illusiari?"
A so called joke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke) for my personal brand of possibly non-existant man-bitches, as my own toon is named Illusiel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Nonetheless, the druids don't really call themselves "Cenarions" the same way the Illidari associated themselves with Illidan. A "Cenarion Defender" is more a reference to them being "Defenders of the Cenarion Circle" rather than naming them "Defenders of Cenarius".
Well, the achievable in-game title for hitting exalted with both factions would be "Defender of Cenarius". I state once more that I believe that Cenarii wouldn't have sounded so odd had it been implemented from the getgo.

I must also have assumed too much when I believed -ari to be a purely elven suffix. It appears to occur within Eredar/Draenei society as well, such as with the Man'ari or the Sha'tari. There's also the Hakkari.

Technically, one could argue that such naming conventions does occur in the name. Cenarion Circle. It could very well be that its meant to be a merger of the circle's two founders, though in which case I'd assumed it to have been named something along the lines of Cenurion.

But that's just my mind wandering.

Quote: