Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 PM

Hippogryph Rider
BattleTag: Namica#1257

Back on the topic of Ivar Bloodfang:

Couldn't he just be a combat rogue?

Yeah, the whole class system doesn't apply to many things, like how most Orc warriors as done by the art team look more like rogues than Warriors, but if you needed him to have a proper class, that'd be it.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

He could in theory, but he does wear plate shoulders and, I dunno, his fight style seems to me like it'd involve rage, and that puts him more in the Warrior camp
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

Classes don't exist in the lore. There, I said it.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Trade Baroness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbmitch View Post
Classes don't exist in the lore. There, I said it.
They do, but they are not as rigid as the game would have us believe.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne_Neritas View Post
Back on the topic of Ivar Bloodfang:

Couldn't he just be a combat rogue?
I think Fury Warrior would fit more, since it fits the raging berserker theme. (Seeing Worgen dual wield 2handers would be pretty damn cool, as well.)
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

He's a member of the NPC-only "fuck you, I'm a werewolf" class.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
They do, but they are not as rigid as the game would have us believe.
Actually, if anything, they'd be as rigid as they are in the game. In lore, "classes" and their specializations function as one or more of the following: jobs, militaristic roles, hobbies, uses of study or knowledge, and crafts.

In the lore, today's classes would only describe people by grouping. You might have a GOBLIN ALCHEMIST in the lore that sure isn't a class itself in-game, but might is categorized by profession. A mage, through his or her studies, could master the arts of heavy armor and melee weapons, allowing his or herself to utilize two forms of combat together, becoming a BATTLE MAGE. Even so, a mage is only a term to describe a magic user, and could be used to describe a warlock, mage, or priest.

Specializations are truely what they are. You won't see many lore characters go from prot to holy to ret because it doesn't work like that. It takes years of study to become viable in these fields. Thrall may have shed some armor and left his melee ways behind, but he still fulfills his role as a shaman. This change wasn't instant as he had to master his new shamanistic powers.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Trade Baroness

Quote:
Actually, if anything, they'd be as rigid as they are in the game. In lore, "classes" and their specializations function as one or more of the following: jobs, militaristic roles, hobbies, uses of study or knowledge, and crafts.

In the lore, today's classes would only describe people by grouping. You might have a GOBLIN ALCHEMIST in the lore that sure isn't a class itself in-game, but might is categorized by profession. A mage, through his or her studies, could master the arts of heavy armor and melee weapons, allowing his or herself to utilize two forms of combat together, becoming a BATTLE MAGE. Even so, a mage is only a term to describe a magic user, and could be used to describe a warlock, mage, or priest.

Specializations are truely what they are. You won't see many lore characters go from prot to holy to ret because it doesn't work like that. It takes years of study to become viable in these fields. Thrall may have shed some armor and left his melee ways behind, but he still fulfills his role as a shaman. This change wasn't instant as he had to master his new shamanistic powers.
Sure the change wouldn't be instantaneous, but at the end of the day if someone put enough effort into it changing "classes" is possible and he'll still have his expertise in his former "class". I'm studying informatics a.t.m. if I decide to work as something else I'd have to put in the effort to learn a new career, but I'd still be able to work computer scientist. This is also true for most "classes" you fin on Azeroth. Sure there are exceptions because some of those "classes" don't depend solely on the individual, like for example shamanism which also depends on the elements, but as a whole changing "classes" is manageable and "classes" also overlap.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Sure the change wouldn't be instantaneous, but at the end of the day if someone put enough effort into it changing "classes" is possible and he'll still have his expertise in his former "class". I'm studying informatics a.t.m. if I decide to work as something else I'd have to put in the effort to learn a new career, but I'd still be able to work computer scientist. This is also true for most "classes" you fin on Azeroth. Sure there are exceptions because some of those "classes" don't depend solely on the individual, like for example shamanism which also depends on the elements, but as a whole changing "classes" is manageable and "classes" also overlap.
If the person is active in combat, the only thing they'll ever do is inch their way to their "new" expertise and use both. Tyrande is a good example of a hybrid. She is a "Priestess of the Moon", yet wields a bow and acts more like a ranger class with magic abilities (her in Warcraft 3). A mage will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER become a warrior. Period. However, a mage can use a warrior's fierce combat tactics and become some sort of hybrid. If given the opportunity to have powers, people will always choose to keep two asesome types of powers instead of one.

"Rogue" doesn't mean much more than the fact that a person can stealth around, with the class being someone wno can. You can have a ROGUE-WARLOCK, ROGUE-HUNTER, ROGUE-PALADIN, etc. Hunters are similar in that the word they ard based off of is an action. Does that mean anyone who hunts is a hunter? By definition, yes (if said person hunts more than once). That means you CAN have a MELEE HUNTER or a petless hunter, etc.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:40 AM

Trade Baroness

Quote:
If the person is active in combat, the only thing they'll ever do is inch their way to their "new" expertise and use both. Tyrande is a good example of a hybrid. She is a "Priestess of the Moon", yet wields a bow and acts more like a ranger class with magic abilities (her in Warcraft 3). A mage will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER become a warrior. Period. However, a mage can use a warrior's fierce combat tactics and become some sort of hybrid. If given the opportunity to have powers, people will always choose to keep two asesome types of powers instead of one.

"Rogue" doesn't mean much more than the fact that a person can stealth around, with the class being someone wno can. You can have a ROGUE-WARLOCK, ROGUE-HUNTER, ROGUE-PALADIN, etc. Hunters are similar in that the word they ard based off of is an action. Does that mean anyone who hunts is a hunter? By definition, yes (if said person hunts more than once). That means you CAN have a MELEE HUNTER or a petless hunter, etc.
So how is that more rigid than wow?