Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Anne_Neritas Anne_Neritas is offline

Hippogryph Rider
Anne_Neritas's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 216
BattleTag: Namica#1257

Default

Back on the topic of Ivar Bloodfang:

Couldn't he just be a combat rogue?

Yeah, the whole class system doesn't apply to many things, like how most Orc warriors as done by the art team look more like rogues than Warriors, but if you needed him to have a proper class, that'd be it.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 28,694
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

He could in theory, but he does wear plate shoulders and, I dunno, his fight style seems to me like it'd involve rage, and that puts him more in the Warrior camp
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 PM
mjbmitch mjbmitch is offline

Arch-Druid
mjbmitch's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Crofton, MD
Posts: 1,186
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

Default

Classes don't exist in the lore. There, I said it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 19,393

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbmitch View Post
Classes don't exist in the lore. There, I said it.
They do, but they are not as rigid as the game would have us believe.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 10,904

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne_Neritas View Post
Back on the topic of Ivar Bloodfang:

Couldn't he just be a combat rogue?
I think Fury Warrior would fit more, since it fits the raging berserker theme. (Seeing Worgen dual wield 2handers would be pretty damn cool, as well.)
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,264
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

He's a member of the NPC-only "fuck you, I'm a werewolf" class.
__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:43 PM
mjbmitch mjbmitch is offline

Arch-Druid
mjbmitch's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Crofton, MD
Posts: 1,186
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
They do, but they are not as rigid as the game would have us believe.
Actually, if anything, they'd be as rigid as they are in the game. In lore, "classes" and their specializations function as one or more of the following: jobs, militaristic roles, hobbies, uses of study or knowledge, and crafts.

In the lore, today's classes would only describe people by grouping. You might have a GOBLIN ALCHEMIST in the lore that sure isn't a class itself in-game, but might is categorized by profession. A mage, through his or her studies, could master the arts of heavy armor and melee weapons, allowing his or herself to utilize two forms of combat together, becoming a BATTLE MAGE. Even so, a mage is only a term to describe a magic user, and could be used to describe a warlock, mage, or priest.

Specializations are truely what they are. You won't see many lore characters go from prot to holy to ret because it doesn't work like that. It takes years of study to become viable in these fields. Thrall may have shed some armor and left his melee ways behind, but he still fulfills his role as a shaman. This change wasn't instant as he had to master his new shamanistic powers.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 19,393

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbmitch View Post
Actually, if anything, they'd be as rigid as they are in the game. In lore, "classes" and their specializations function as one or more of the following: jobs, militaristic roles, hobbies, uses of study or knowledge, and crafts.

In the lore, today's classes would only describe people by grouping. You might have a GOBLIN ALCHEMIST in the lore that sure isn't a class itself in-game, but might is categorized by profession. A mage, through his or her studies, could master the arts of heavy armor and melee weapons, allowing his or herself to utilize two forms of combat together, becoming a BATTLE MAGE. Even so, a mage is only a term to describe a magic user, and could be used to describe a warlock, mage, or priest.

Specializations are truely what they are. You won't see many lore characters go from prot to holy to ret because it doesn't work like that. It takes years of study to become viable in these fields. Thrall may have shed some armor and left his melee ways behind, but he still fulfills his role as a shaman. This change wasn't instant as he had to master his new shamanistic powers.
Sure the change wouldn't be instantaneous, but at the end of the day if someone put enough effort into it changing "classes" is possible and he'll still have his expertise in his former "class". I'm studying informatics a.t.m. if I decide to work as something else I'd have to put in the effort to learn a new career, but I'd still be able to work computer scientist. This is also true for most "classes" you fin on Azeroth. Sure there are exceptions because some of those "classes" don't depend solely on the individual, like for example shamanism which also depends on the elements, but as a whole changing "classes" is manageable and "classes" also overlap.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM
mjbmitch mjbmitch is offline

Arch-Druid
mjbmitch's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Crofton, MD
Posts: 1,186
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Sure the change wouldn't be instantaneous, but at the end of the day if someone put enough effort into it changing "classes" is possible and he'll still have his expertise in his former "class". I'm studying informatics a.t.m. if I decide to work as something else I'd have to put in the effort to learn a new career, but I'd still be able to work computer scientist. This is also true for most "classes" you fin on Azeroth. Sure there are exceptions because some of those "classes" don't depend solely on the individual, like for example shamanism which also depends on the elements, but as a whole changing "classes" is manageable and "classes" also overlap.
If the person is active in combat, the only thing they'll ever do is inch their way to their "new" expertise and use both. Tyrande is a good example of a hybrid. She is a "Priestess of the Moon", yet wields a bow and acts more like a ranger class with magic abilities (her in Warcraft 3). A mage will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER become a warrior. Period. However, a mage can use a warrior's fierce combat tactics and become some sort of hybrid. If given the opportunity to have powers, people will always choose to keep two asesome types of powers instead of one.

"Rogue" doesn't mean much more than the fact that a person can stealth around, with the class being someone wno can. You can have a ROGUE-WARLOCK, ROGUE-HUNTER, ROGUE-PALADIN, etc. Hunters are similar in that the word they ard based off of is an action. Does that mean anyone who hunts is a hunter? By definition, yes (if said person hunts more than once). That means you CAN have a MELEE HUNTER or a petless hunter, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:40 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 19,393

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbmitch View Post
If the person is active in combat, the only thing they'll ever do is inch their way to their "new" expertise and use both. Tyrande is a good example of a hybrid. She is a "Priestess of the Moon", yet wields a bow and acts more like a ranger class with magic abilities (her in Warcraft 3). A mage will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER become a warrior. Period. However, a mage can use a warrior's fierce combat tactics and become some sort of hybrid. If given the opportunity to have powers, people will always choose to keep two asesome types of powers instead of one.

"Rogue" doesn't mean much more than the fact that a person can stealth around, with the class being someone wno can. You can have a ROGUE-WARLOCK, ROGUE-HUNTER, ROGUE-PALADIN, etc. Hunters are similar in that the word they ard based off of is an action. Does that mean anyone who hunts is a hunter? By definition, yes (if said person hunts more than once). That means you CAN have a MELEE HUNTER or a petless hunter, etc.
So how is that more rigid than wow?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.