Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default So, Thrall might not be the next warchief after all

I know what was said during the press tour, but don't be so sure yet that you know who the next warchief will be. The information provided during the press tour was... not entirely accurate.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...5205?page=4#64

What'cha think? Did people report the press event wrong, or has Blizz changed their minds since? Who else, beyond Garrosh or Thrall, could become Warchief?

Hell, do we even know the office of the Warchief will be continued? I say we move the Horde to a republican system and elect Gamon First Consul of the Horde Federation.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Chimaera
Send a message via MSN to Valius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I know what was said during the press tour, but don't be so sure yet that you know who the next warchief will be. The information provided during the press tour was... not entirely accurate.

What'cha think? Did people report the press event wrong, or has Blizz changed their minds since? Who else, beyond Garrosh or Thrall, could become Warchief?

Hell, do we even know the office of the Warchief will be continued? I say we move the Horde to a republican system and elect Gamon First Consul of the Horde Federation.

Who knows, but....I'm not sure if I can take the end of your post seriously.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:

I still see Thrall picking up as interim Warchief until the official "new guy" is found. The only other established Horde leader is Vol'jin, and seeing a Troll on the throne (while I'm all for it) isn't all that likely. On the other hand, we might be seeing a return of characters Cata missed like Saurfang or Jorin.

The last option is to throw Baine into the mix throughout MoP, but I really don't see him as established enough to pick up that mantle. Granted this seems to be the fruition of Generation Y Warcraft heroes, but at the same time Baine's really been sidelined in comparison to almost all the other heroes on the block. The two who shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole are Galliwix (we all know why) and Sylvanas (because the amount of in-game inconsistency and fan rage that would produce would probably collapse the entire franchise).

The Mad Admin
Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valius View Post
Who knows, but....I'm not sure if I can take the end of your post seriously.
Well maybe not Gamon but technically the Horde is already a federation, albeit a dictatorial one.

Frankly. I'm rooting for either a republic or have the Horde be run by the MASTER COMPUTER.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 PM

Chimaera
Send a message via MSN to Valius

Quote:
Well maybe not Gamon but technically the Horde is already a federation, albeit a dictatorial one.

Frankly. I'm rooting for either a republic or have the Horde be run by the MASTER COMPUTER.

For the sake of discussion how does a Republic work anyways. Why do they even call it a Republic.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

I think Thrall might kick the bucket and be replaced by someone new.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Metzen would never kill off his Pokemon.

NEVARRRRRR!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valius View Post
For the sake of discussion how does a Republic work anyways. Why do they even call it a Republic.
A republic is just a state with multiple leaders, essentially anything that isn't a monarchy or dictatorship. Due to the fact such a state has multiple leaders, there is the implication that elections occur, though whether or not there's universal suffrage or not is not necessary.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

The council of Thrall and his omnipresent balls will now begin rule... now!

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
Metzen would never kill off his Pokemon.

NEVARRRRRR!!!
Silly Grimtale, Pokémon don't get killed, just knocked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 05-04-2012, 10:52 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm hoping that the overall rulership of the Horde would be split up with no absolute dictators ruling over all.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 PM

Elune

I bet Metzen is laughing his ass off right now. Master troll
Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

I'll believe it when I see it.

If they start giving possible candidates unexpected screen time, I might change my mind, but until then, I'm loathe to admit Thrall is the most likely outcome.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.

If they start giving possible candidates unexpected screen time, I might change my mind, but until then, I'm loathe to admit Thrall is the most likely outcome.
Well, we have one year till the change is done. I hope dearly Thrall will not be the warchief.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 PM

Arch-Druid

I actually have had a hard time seeing anyone but Thrall as warchief since I first played Warcraft III. Seeing Garrosh in the role diminished this slightly at first, but then he ended up (from what we can tell) becoming a loot pińata.

If Baine got the job many people would whine. I've already seen some of it on the story forums. If Vol'jin got it many people would also whine, but he would get more support. Fojar would firebomb Blizzard if they gave it to Sylvanas because that would give her and Forsaken Lordaeron more attention... and Lor'themar is still a question mark for too many people.

...and even if one of them took the throne, the Orcs would still need their own leader. Who amongst the Orcs is developed enough and prepared for such a position? Etrigg, Drek'thar and Saurfang are almost ready to take a stroll with their ancestors, fan fave Orc gals Zaela and Gorgonna are far from developed enough, and others like Reghar Earthfury, Palkar or Nazgrel have either never appeared in-game or are just minor parts.

There's an Orc that comes to mind, actually.

One who has seen three expansions of development and has soared through the ranks of the Horde.

And he's already pissing off the Alliance.

Behold your new warchief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.

Last edited by Anasterian; 05-04-2012 at 11:27 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 11:28 PM

Loremaster

I'm wondering if maybe the purpose of the Warchief could somehow be changed, removing the need for it in times of relative peace, but keeping it in reserve - almost like a "Guardian" of the Horde - to be filled by an individual selected to carry out the will of the Horde only when necessary.

Kind of like how the Alliance never seemed to really appoint a new Supreme Alliance Commander after Turalyon, probably because without an active Horde threatening them, there wasn't a call for the joint armies of the Alliance to remain assembled under a centralized command structure.

Making the Warchief a position that's invoked and filled by an appointee for the duration of a crisis could justify leaving it unoccupied for the time being, leaving room for the assembled racial leaders of the Horde to select a Warchief to lead their combined armies in battle the next time the Burning Legion, Old Gods or whatever other massive threat arises, while otherwise leaving control of the Horde as a nation in the hands of a council comprised of the joint racial leadership.

It would kind of fit the theme, really. Since its implementation with Blackhand, the rank of Warchief has fundamentally combined political leadership with supreme military command, with emphasis on the former. The orcs in particular have - even under Thrall - been led by one whom they perceive as basically their general. Hence they've remain perpetually under the authority of an office that at its core was created to keep the clans united on a wartime footing. Which means as long as the Warchief is the ultimate seat of authority, the Horde may forever be defined by the need to continue waging war, as even his title's wording is pretty much literally "a chieftain who leads the other chieftains into war". The name itself carries an implication of demanding conflict to justify its existence. It was basically a role made to command a war machine, rather than to lead a nation in times of peace.

After all, we've even seen in real life the potential for disaster when the political ruler of a nation also holds absolute and unchecked military authority. It can lead to said nation engaging in reckless and strategically catastrophic behavior like, say...invading Russia in the winter. Despite another autocratic military dictator being known partly for having made the same disastrous mistake.

Really, it could add a whole new facet to the title of Warchief if it became a position of conditional military power and privilege. Instead of a holdover from the Old Horde passed down to the next guy in line to rule, it could become a strictly defined responsibility granted for a time to a champion who's been deemed worthy, and only in times of dire requirement, when the Horde most needs its greatest hero leading its armies into battle, and which is vacated once the threat has passed.

If one thinks about it, it might be suggested be that having a Warchief unequivocally in charge is part of what has the Horde constantly seeking war whether it's wise for it to do so or not, as it has the orcs constantly expecting their Warchief to lead them to glory and conquest. The Warchief is at its most basic level a chieftain empowered to lead the other chieftains into war. After all, if a kingdom named its ruler the Imperial Conqueror of Blood, they're bound to expect some bloody conquest out of him (Imperiously, that is). Being ruled by the Warchief amounts to the Horde basically having a supreme general as Emperor at all times; as such, it's expected by the populace that problems will be crushed by force, which could prove to be one of the root problems that keeps leading the orcish culture to lean back toward the old ways, and why they had such a hard time dealing with a Warchief who's not leaping at every opportunity to start another war.

It could even sync up with the way the Pandaren developed, as when they stopped doing things the way they used to, they stopped having an Emperor as well.

Last edited by ARM3481; 05-04-2012 at 11:30 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 PM

Elune

Better give him some decent gear. A Warchief must look unique.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 PM

Priestess of the Moon

What if they let fans decide? In some sort of weird, poll-vote contest?
I'm of the opnion that Blizzard should stop pandering to the fanbase' every whim and desire, but I guess they're getting tired of us crying about everything
Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrise View Post
What if they let fans decide? In some sort of weird, poll-vote contest?
I'm of the opnion that Blizzard should stop pandering to the fanbase' every whim and desire, but I guess they're getting tired of us crying about everything
Or maybe they realized Thrall is not that liked among the community anymore. A change is more than welcome.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Or maybe they realized Thrall is not that liked among the community anymore. A change is more than welcome.
But if the fans re-elected him, that wouldn't be true. Not that I disagree
Old 05-05-2012, 12:08 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Speak for yourself.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:20 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Aggra will be your new warchief.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:20 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I like Thrall, hes awesome.

Unfortunately his likability was diminished the moment he got plugged into a plot that wasn't exactly a good compliment for his character. That and having Garrosh as the warchief and the massive amounts of Horde subplots that are constantly being shoved down everyone's throat.

We really need new nuetral characters.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 AM

Elune

More neutral characters ? I hate you...
Old 05-05-2012, 12:26 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
More neutral characters ? I hate you...
I said NEW neutral characters as in completely original. Blizzard gets to flex more of their creative muscle and build something up and our beloved Horde/Alliance heroes will be left to do what they do best for their own people and not go neutral.