Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 05-10-2012, 11:41 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
You missed this part:

It also affects low pop zones in general.
Let's be realistic: the only time they'd ever have to flag a zone is during an expansion's launch when people swarm the start zones (So in this case, Wandering Isle and Jade Forest), and maaaaybe the first few weeks after a patch in a zone that has a new daily hub. After a month it'll be a non issue.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Let's be realistic: the only time they'd ever have to flag a zone is during an expansion's launch when people swarm the start zones (So in this case, Wandering Isle and Jade Forest), and maaaaybe the first few weeks after a patch in a zone that has a new daily hub. After a month it'll be a non issue.
So? It's great nonetheless.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
So? It's great nonetheless.
I was supporting the fact that it's great, some people are butthurt about it for some reason
Old 05-11-2012, 12:23 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I was supporting the fact that it's great, some people are butthurt about it for some reason
I think they're reasoning is that it was poorly used in other mmo's. Rift in particular had a huge problem with people all going to seperate "channels" so people were never involved with each other. Made the world feel very empty.

This is under Blizzards control though so I hardly see the issues potential in Wow.

tl:dr: Idiots assuming the worst.
What matters more, Ashenvale or Lordaeron? The debate of 2013 between Financial Adviser Archdruid Sentinel Kyalin Raintree the Tree Hugger of Ashenvale and Supreme Commander Archmage Fojar von Lordaeron the Highlord of Undead Slaying.

Two enter...and both probably will leave but everyone will be facepalming.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 AM

Loremaster

I wonder if the ability to distribute players to instanced "copies" of zones could lead to an eventual end to the dual-entry-level zones they've utilized since WotLK. If they can use an instancing mechanism to temporarily split the localized players and thereby lessen overpopulation-based performance issues, they might theoretically go back to funneling everyone through a single starter zone again like we had back in Hellfire Peninsula instead of providing two same-level zones at the start to spread us out during the early expansion rush.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
I wonder if the ability to distribute players to instanced "copies" of zones could lead to an eventual end to the dual-entry-level zones they've utilized since WotLK. If they can use an instancing mechanism to temporarily split the localized players and thereby lessen overpopulation-based performance issues, they might theoretically go back to funneling everyone through a single starter zone again like we had back in Hellfire Peninsula instead of providing two same-level zones at the start to spread us out during the early expansion rush.
Potential is there but (forgive my lack of servor expertise) wouldn't that put great strain on the servers?

If not then this could also alleviate issues like Toc being forced to be in Icecrowne because of Dalarans server strain.
What matters more, Ashenvale or Lordaeron? The debate of 2013 between Financial Adviser Archdruid Sentinel Kyalin Raintree the Tree Hugger of Ashenvale and Supreme Commander Archmage Fojar von Lordaeron the Highlord of Undead Slaying.

Two enter...and both probably will leave but everyone will be facepalming.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Potential is there but (forgive my lack of servor expertise) wouldn't that put great strain on the servers?

If not then this could also alleviate issues like Toc being forced to be in Icecrowne because of Dalarans server strain.
Well, they do specifically cite one of the functions being the alleviation of zone overpopulation problems. It isn't exactly made clear whether that's simply a reference to player numbers in new zones overwhelming mob and quest objective spawns, or if it also includes the performance issues that stem from so many people being in one zone at the same time.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 AM

The Digger

There's more reason to keep the dual starter zones than just server load. They provide for variety when leveling alts too, which is really nice when you're going through a given range for the umpteenth time.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 AM

Eternal

but Jade Forest is already the only entry zone in MoP?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:45 AM

Elune

We get choices later in questing with Valley/Krasarang and Townlong/Dread Wastes. Every zone has tons of optional quests as well.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
There's more reason to keep the dual starter zones than just server load. They provide for variety when leveling alts too, which is really nice when you're going through a given range for the umpteenth time.
Volkrin! YES! I loved that in Wrath I could do different zones than I did with the last toon I played through it with. Cata failed to include a second 84-85 zone, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
AndyJP is indisputably superior to me in every way.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:39 AM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Volkrin! YES! I loved that in Wrath I could do different zones than I did with the last toon I played through it with. Cata failed to include a second 84-85 zone, though.
Tell me about it. I can't stand going through Deepholm. Admittedly that's primarily because my lung imploded the night that zone was released on the alpha and I still can't do the Alliance airship quests without my chest aching, but whatever the reason choice would be nice.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:46 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Nope. It's called Uldum. If you do all zones before it you're 85 LONG before you even finish the Rammelkatzen-questline.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Well, far as I understand, there's only one entry zone in Pandaria, no? Or, at least you're shunted to one zone, and have to trek your way to the other if you want an alternative path. right?

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrRotalHenricsson View Post
Nope. It's called Uldum. If you do all zones before it you're 85 LONG before you even finish the Rammelkatzen-questline.
You misunderstand. It has always taken three zones for me to get to 85. Cataclysm only includes five new leveling zones. Leveling with two characters, I'm going to have to repeat a zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
AndyJP is indisputably superior to me in every way.