Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 29,476
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
You missed this part:



It also affects low pop zones in general.
Let's be realistic: the only time they'd ever have to flag a zone is during an expansion's launch when people swarm the start zones (So in this case, Wandering Isle and Jade Forest), and maaaaybe the first few weeks after a patch in a zone that has a new daily hub. After a month it'll be a non issue.
__________________
"The soul is a terrible reality. It can be bought, and sold, and bartered away. It can be poisoned, or made perfect. There is a soul in each one of us. I know it."
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17,407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Let's be realistic: the only time they'd ever have to flag a zone is during an expansion's launch when people swarm the start zones (So in this case, Wandering Isle and Jade Forest), and maaaaybe the first few weeks after a patch in a zone that has a new daily hub. After a month it'll be a non issue.
So? It's great nonetheless.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 29,476
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
So? It's great nonetheless.
I was supporting the fact that it's great, some people are butthurt about it for some reason
__________________
"The soul is a terrible reality. It can be bought, and sold, and bartered away. It can be poisoned, or made perfect. There is a soul in each one of us. I know it."
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Sa'danak Sa'danak is offline

Arch-Druid
Sa'danak's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,456
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I was supporting the fact that it's great, some people are butthurt about it for some reason
I think they're reasoning is that it was poorly used in other mmo's. Rift in particular had a huge problem with people all going to seperate "channels" so people were never involved with each other. Made the world feel very empty.

This is under Blizzards control though so I hardly see the issues potential in Wow.

tl:dr: Idiots assuming the worst.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
What matters more, Ashenvale or Lordaeron? The debate of 2013 between Financial Adviser Archdruid Sentinel Kyalin Raintree the Tree Hugger of Ashenvale and Supreme Commander Archmage Fojar von Lordaeron the Highlord of Undead Slaying.

Two enter...and both probably will leave but everyone will be facepalming.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 AM
ARM3481 ARM3481 is offline

Loremaster
ARM3481's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,475

Default

I wonder if the ability to distribute players to instanced "copies" of zones could lead to an eventual end to the dual-entry-level zones they've utilized since WotLK. If they can use an instancing mechanism to temporarily split the localized players and thereby lessen overpopulation-based performance issues, they might theoretically go back to funneling everyone through a single starter zone again like we had back in Hellfire Peninsula instead of providing two same-level zones at the start to spread us out during the early expansion rush.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Sa'danak Sa'danak is offline

Arch-Druid
Sa'danak's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,456
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
I wonder if the ability to distribute players to instanced "copies" of zones could lead to an eventual end to the dual-entry-level zones they've utilized since WotLK. If they can use an instancing mechanism to temporarily split the localized players and thereby lessen overpopulation-based performance issues, they might theoretically go back to funneling everyone through a single starter zone again like we had back in Hellfire Peninsula instead of providing two same-level zones at the start to spread us out during the early expansion rush.
Potential is there but (forgive my lack of servor expertise) wouldn't that put great strain on the servers?

If not then this could also alleviate issues like Toc being forced to be in Icecrowne because of Dalarans server strain.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
What matters more, Ashenvale or Lordaeron? The debate of 2013 between Financial Adviser Archdruid Sentinel Kyalin Raintree the Tree Hugger of Ashenvale and Supreme Commander Archmage Fojar von Lordaeron the Highlord of Undead Slaying.

Two enter...and both probably will leave but everyone will be facepalming.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 AM
ARM3481 ARM3481 is offline

Loremaster
ARM3481's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Potential is there but (forgive my lack of servor expertise) wouldn't that put great strain on the servers?

If not then this could also alleviate issues like Toc being forced to be in Icecrowne because of Dalarans server strain.
Well, they do specifically cite one of the functions being the alleviation of zone overpopulation problems. It isn't exactly made clear whether that's simply a reference to player numbers in new zones overwhelming mob and quest objective spawns, or if it also includes the performance issues that stem from so many people being in one zone at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Volkrin Volkrin is offline

The Digger
Volkrin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 8,786

Default

There's more reason to keep the dual starter zones than just server load. They provide for variety when leveling alts too, which is really nice when you're going through a given range for the umpteenth time.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 AM
RobLore RobLore is offline

Eternal
RobLore's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden!
Posts: 4,149

Default

but Jade Forest is already the only entry zone in MoP?
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17,407

Default

We get choices later in questing with Valley/Krasarang and Townlong/Dread Wastes. Every zone has tons of optional quests as well.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 AM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,984
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
There's more reason to keep the dual starter zones than just server load. They provide for variety when leveling alts too, which is really nice when you're going through a given range for the umpteenth time.
Volkrin! YES! I loved that in Wrath I could do different zones than I did with the last toon I played through it with. Cata failed to include a second 84-85 zone, though.
__________________
...as some ancient astronauts theorists believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
AndyJP is indisputably superior to me in every way.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 05-11-2012, 02:39 AM
Volkrin Volkrin is offline

The Digger
Volkrin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 8,786

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Volkrin! YES! I loved that in Wrath I could do different zones than I did with the last toon I played through it with. Cata failed to include a second 84-85 zone, though.
Tell me about it. I can't stand going through Deepholm. Admittedly that's primarily because my lung imploded the night that zone was released on the alpha and I still can't do the Alliance airship quests without my chest aching, but whatever the reason choice would be nice.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 05-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Rotal Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,289

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Volkrin! YES! I loved that in Wrath I could do different zones than I did with the last toon I played through it with. Cata failed to include a second 84-85 zone, though.
Nope. It's called Uldum. If you do all zones before it you're 85 LONG before you even finish the Rammelkatzen-questline.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 AM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,909
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

Well, far as I understand, there's only one entry zone in Pandaria, no? Or, at least you're shunted to one zone, and have to trek your way to the other if you want an alternative path. right?
__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 PM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,984
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrRotalHenricsson View Post
Nope. It's called Uldum. If you do all zones before it you're 85 LONG before you even finish the Rammelkatzen-questline.
You misunderstand. It has always taken three zones for me to get to 85. Cataclysm only includes five new leveling zones. Leveling with two characters, I'm going to have to repeat a zone.
__________________
...as some ancient astronauts theorists believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
AndyJP is indisputably superior to me in every way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.