Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 05-20-2012, 12:57 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

HP Lovecraft was incredibly racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 05-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Not only that, but we have the naga- reptilian race, with great hulking Myrmidons and sinister, cunning sea witches, lead by Aszhara, so powerful that even the great lords of the burning legion were impressed...

And they're afraid of a bunch of little turtles? Seriously? I know superstitions are meant to be daft, but that just goes beyond plain superstition and into silly. It's going to be harder to take the naga seriously if they're that afraid of turtles. It's like having the average army in the middle ages being terrified of rats or mice to the point of avoiding them. You just wouldn't take them seriously, and it'd be hard be afraid of somebody so terrified of something so small.

(I mean, yes rats were a major nuiscance, but you just got on with it, you didn't just cower from them... Right?)
Turtles are fucking badass.

As are rabbits. [Insert Monty Python joke here]

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
For the era he lived he was as racist as almost everyone else.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
He was born in the 19th century though
"D'ya think that thing wanted to be an animal? No dogs make it a thousand miles through the cold! No, you don't understand! That thing wanted to be US! If a cell gets out, it could imitate everything on the FACE OF THE EARTH! AAAAND NOTHING can stop it!"
Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Nah.
Yes.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Wisp

I like the subtlety of the Horde balloons description. Affixing an anti war song reference to something belonging to the more aggressive faction. Nicely done.

Or, I'm reading too much into it and Blizz just did it cuz it's a red balloon and weren't even thinking about 99 Luftballoons being an anti war protest song.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
For the era he lived he was as racist as almost everyone else.
He was actually significantly more racist than was the norm at the time.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
No.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Maybe he was raped by a black man as a kid

Now seriously, I think that in this one, you can blame the parents (The Mother), specially if Wikipedia is right and he had those issues when young
"D'ya think that thing wanted to be an animal? No dogs make it a thousand miles through the cold! No, you don't understand! That thing wanted to be US! If a cell gets out, it could imitate everything on the FACE OF THE EARTH! AAAAND NOTHING can stop it!"

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 05-20-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Ya know... based on his works and what I know of his personal life I'd say he was more misanthropic than anything. He disliked the religious, he disliked men of industry, he disliked land owners, he disliked african americans, he disliked natives and orientals. In reality, I honestly don't think he was more racist than others of the time, looking at the big pool of history of Massachusetts during that period and America in general suggesting that folks were less racist is pretty naive. He wasn't exactly forming lynch mobs but certainly harbored the same resentment that has been and still is indoctrinated into American society. It's really only the last 70 years or so that we have really softened up and become sensitive to the ideal of racism. Have you ever talked to the currently elderly? I mean... god damn, thats some awkward racist stuff and we are talking about people born in the 40s...
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM

Elune

Hey, at least he married a Jew.

.... and then ranted about Jews in front of her, and she was like "you do know I'm a Jew, right?", and then he probably said she was one of the good ones or something.

Then again, as long as the artists are dead, what does it matter if they were racist? If you go back far enough, you'll find all sorts of unsavory characters, so might as well enjoy their good points. It's not like you're going to make them rich by buying their stuff now.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 05-20-2012, 01:35 PM

Elune

Millenia has a point. I'm proud of you, delusional person
Old 05-20-2012, 01:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Millenia has a point. I'm proud of you, delusional person
Your approval fills me with shame, Nazi.

=P

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
Your approval fills me with shame, Nazi.

=P

Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Then again, as long as the artists are dead, what does it matter if they were racist?
Oh, it doesn't, it's just fun to look at his stories with that in mind and seeing how thinly veiled the racist sentiment he wrote into them was. Like the Shadow over Innsmouth is basically a tale about how interracial breeding is bad.

Quote:
Old 05-20-2012, 01:51 PM

Ranger
BattleTag: Pvarron#1601

Here are some more pet descriptions. I tried to only get ones that talked about different races. If I see anymore I'll post them in a second post. I don't want this one to get to big.

Argent Gruntling - These young orcs strive to embody the Argent Crusade's virtues: valor, strength and integrity.

Argent Squire - Many of Stormwind's youth joined the Argent Crusade as squires, hoping one day to serve the Holy Light in battle.

Bandicoon Kit - Some druids say the pandaren and raccoons are distant cousins, but never when a pandaren can hear them.

Blighted Squirrel - Undead squirrels have acquired a taste for the strange berries and mushrooms that now grow in Silverpine Forest.

Clefthoof Runt - For ogres, comparing a female's hair to a clefthoof's shaggy coat is a term of great endearment.

Creepy Crawly - These beetles often make their homes in quarries abandoned by the Horde war machine in Durotar.

Fjord Worg Pup - There's an old vrykul saying that goes, "Let sleeping worgs lie, unless you don't want your face anymore."

Giraffe Calf - The barbaric centaur over-hunted giraffes for decades, but it was the tauren who saved this species from extinction."

Gold Beetle - Tiny, autonomous machines created by the Titans to clean and maintain their mighty edifices.

Edit: This post looked a lot longer in the reply page.

Last edited by Edoll; 05-20-2012 at 01:53 PM..
Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
The Shadow Over Innsmouth is a novella by H. P. Lovecraft. Written in November–December 1931, the story was first published in April 1936; this was the only fiction of Lovecraft's published during his lifetime that did not appear in a periodical.[1]

The story describes a young man's discovery of a strange hybrid race, half-human and half an unknown creature that resembles a cross between a fish and a frog, that dwell in Innsmouth - a coastal town that had seen better days, and the waters offshore. The townspeople worship Dagon, a Philistine deity incorporated into the Cthulhu Mythos.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 PM

Elune

True enough.

Also, he basically described the people he hated in the same manner he described Cthulhu and its ilk.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 05-20-2012, 01:57 PM

Elune

Quote:

innsmouth is referenced with the fishing town in tol barad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
love you too, neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you as a poster. But i hate you because you are alliance.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:01 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoll View Post
Argent Squire - Many of Stormwind's youth joined the Argent Crusade as squires, hoping one day to serve the Holy Light in battle.
Heh. Maybe you do have a point about the AC usurping the Alliance's "Holy Light" thing...
Old 05-20-2012, 02:05 PM

Ranger
BattleTag: Pvarron#1601

Here's another one:

Scourged Whelpling - Kel'thuzad once nursed a plague-infected whelp to adulthood, feeding it only the finest liquefied remains.

By plague-infected, does it mean was undead? If so that means undead things still mature physically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
Heh. Maybe you do have a point about the AC usurping the Alliance's "Holy Light" thing...
I'm not sure that was me, but I do happen to agree with it. And I do think that pet description supports it.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:11 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoll View Post
By plague-infected, does it mean was undead? If so that means undead things still mature physically.
Plagued dragons are infected, but not undead yet. Compare with other corrupted animals, like plagued bears.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:22 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

The diseased squirrel lore was cool. Instead of nuts it now hordes human flesh
Old 05-20-2012, 02:25 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
The diseased squirrel lore was cool. Instead of nuts it now hordes human flesh
Sounds familiar.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Is that... Alleria?

Tags
chen stormstout, mists of pandaria, panda power, thornby was here, world of warcraft