Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Default Multi-Classing in World of Warcraft

So Bolvar has this crazy idea on how the next tier of hero classes in World of Warcraft could work in a way that makes them challenging and fun to unlock.

With Death Knights, you could roll one as soon as you had a character over level 55. Presumably, this was so you would have some degree of experience with in-game mechanics before getting to play a new and powerful class that starts at a higher level.

I think, fundamentally, this is still a good idea. It gave veteran players a nice bonus when the expansion dropped, and new players something to work toward.

The class fit the lore theme of the expansion, and it addressed an in-game need for more tanks. I think future hero classes should follow this design model.

Assumptions:
  1. This obviously can't be implemented for Mists of Pandaria. I will assume it could be implemented in the next expansion. I assume the next expansion will raise the level cap to 95.
  2. Character slots will be an issue. I will assume Blizzard will finally remove the realm-based character slot cap, and simply limit each account to 50 characters, on one realm, or on many realms, period.
Objective:

Since I don't know the theme of the next expansion, I'm going to present four options. One or more could be implemented at a time. The idea is to give the game more high-level hybrid classes that can tank and/or heal in addition to filling a DPS role.

Premise:

The new hero classes will be presented as an amalgam of existing classes. They will be logical "multi-classes" that, in fact, have already been presented in-game in the form of various NPCs, and are now available to player characters.

They will require the player to level one character of each amalgamated class to level 85. Once they have unlocked the class level requirements, they will be able to create the new hero, which will have a similar starting zone experience to the Death Knight, and which will begin at level 85 and leave the starting zone at or around level 90.

The new multi-class hero will be comprised of classes that only fill a single or dual-role. In other words, there's no point multi-classing from a Druid, Paladin, or Monk - they already can fill every role.

New Hero Classes:

Demon Hunter

Requires a level 85 Warlock and Rogue to unlock.

An obvious amalgam of the Rogue and Warlock class, the Demon Hunter combines two pure DPS classes into a Hero class that can tank, heal, and DPS. Perfect for an expansion featuring the Burning Legion as an antagonist.

In-Game NPC Examples: Illidan Stormrage, who clearly demonstrates the abilities of both a Warlock and a Rogue in-game.

Armor Class: Leather - Agility gear for tanking/dps, Intellect/Spirit gear for healing.

Weapons: Dual-wields swords, maces, and axes. DPS, Healing, and Tanking versions of these weapons already exist in-game.

Roles: Dual-wield tanking with emphasis on evasion and stamina for mitigation, dual-wield melee DPS, and healing via fel energy.

Races: No Tauren, Draenei, or Pandaren

Notes: Obviously, this class gives up most of the ranged caster abilities of the Warlock, but can maintain many of the affliction-based damage mechanics and ability to enslave demon mobs. This class should not maintain a full-time demon minion, but should probably summon one on a cooldown. With regards to Rogue abilities, it should maintain the ability to use stealth and vanish, and should replace poisons with the affliction spells from the Warlock class. Lockpicking should be abandoned.

Necromancer

Requires a level 85 Death Knight and Mage to unlock.

A natural progression towards the pinnacle of Scourge-based power, the Necromancer is a well-established class that has evolved from both Mages and Death Knights in lore but has previously been forbidden from players. It is a natural fit in an expansion featuring the Scourge.

In-Game NPC Examples: The Lich King, Kel'thuzad

Armor Class: Cloth

Weapons: Staves, 1h Swords, Daggers, and Maces, and Off-hand items

Roles: Unholy tanking - assumes the form of a lich for mitigation and threat modification, ranged DPS, shadow healing

Races: All but Pandaren

Notes: The Necromancer has shed the plate armor of the Death Knight and instead draws his strength from a more complete embrace with the powers of undeath. He retains the ability to raise undead allies, and, in fact, does so with greater frequency and variety than a Death Knight. Combined with his studies of the arcane, he can rain death and destruction on his foes from afar, and then raise his vanquished enemies as allies. He can heal himself and his companions through a combination of shadow energy and necrotic spells, as well as transferring life energies from his opponents.

Sentinel

Requires a level 85 Hunter and Priest to unlock.

An elite warrior and guardian class that has served the oldest races of Azeroth for millenia, the Sentinel combines the deadly ranged abilities of the Hunter with the potent light and arcane-based magics of the Priest. It is a natural fit in an expansion heavy with Elvish lore; perhaps one based around Azshara as an antagonist.

In-Game NPC Examples: Tyrande Whisperwind, Shandris Feathermoon

Armor Class: Mail - Agility gear for Tanking/DPS, Int/Spirit gear for Healing

Weapons: Tanking: Dual-wield maces, axes, and swords. DPS: Ranged weapons. Healing: 1h maces, axes, swords and shield off-hand

Roles: Tanking via dual-wield melee, emphasis on parry and dodge for mitigation, DPS via ranged weapons, and light/arcane based healing

Races: All

Notes: There are ample examples in Warcraft lore to draw from for this class, and there is the added bonus of giving another class a reason to use Int/Spi mail armor besides the Shaman. The Sentinel will abandon the full-time pet abilities of the Hunter in an exchange for the restorative arcane and light-based abilities of the Priest.

Gladiator

Requires a level 85 Warrior and Shaman to unlock.

The perfect blend of melee combat and elemental power, the Gladiator is born from the Orcish arena tradition and represents the apex of martial combat. This class can fit in just about any expansion, but would work well in one where Horde and Alliance animosity is emphasized.

In-Game NPC examples: Varian Wrynn, Thrall, Magni Bronzebeard, Rehgar Earthfury

Armor Class: Plate - STM for Tanking, STR for DPS, INT for Healing

Weapons: Dual-wields - 1H swords/axes/maces for tanking, 2H swords/axes/maces for DPS, 1H swords/axes/maces for Healing

Roles: Dual-wield Tanking, emphasis on parry, dodge and stamina for mitigation, Dual-wield "titan's grip" for melee DPS, and Dual-wield healing, with emphasis on keeping combat-triggered buffs up for elemental healing, similar to the holy Paladin haste buff from casting Judgement.

Races: All

Notes: The Gladiator may have abandoned the totems of the Shaman, but has himself become a force of nature, using the strength of the elements to enhance his martial prowess. As a healer, he is expected to be in the thick of combat, and will be most efficient healing his allies while he metes out damage to his enemies.

"If you come back in here, I am gonna hit you with so many rights you are going to beg for a left."
Old 06-01-2012, 01:51 PM

Trade Baroness

I really like this idea and am surprised that nobody has replied yet...

If the Zandalari don't get annihilated completely in MOP, Shadow Hunters would also make sense as a Hero Class. I'll have to bribe someone now so your idea gets realized and my beloved Shadow Hunters are made playable.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:51 PM

Elune

Blood Mages (Mage+Warlock, fel healing, dps and something related to fire for tanking?) and Dark Rangers (Hunter+DK, bow dps, necromantic healing and melee dps? valkyr blessed tanking? they are though like Sylvanas tanking?) could work like that too
Old 06-01-2012, 01:52 PM

Echo of the Past

I feel too ignorant to comment on this, but I wanted you to know that I enjoyed the read and would enjoy seeing these classes.

"Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse."
Old 06-01-2012, 01:56 PM

Elune

Well, Vol'jin is a Shadow Hunter and Rokhan are SH. It could still be done Hunter+Warlock?

Quote:
Gladiator

Requires a level 85 Warrior and Shaman to unlock.

The perfect blend of melee combat and elemental power, the Gladiator is born from the Orcish arena tradition and represents the apex of martial combat. This class can fit in just about any expansion, but would work well in one where Horde and Alliance animosity is emphasized.
If they pulled something like a less brutal Hunger Games for PVP in interfactional peace xpacks it would work too
Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 PM

Trade Baroness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Well, Vol'jin is a Shadow Hunter and Rokhan are SH. It could still be done Hunter+Warlock?
Hunter + Shaman but with a focus on loa rather than elements.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 PM

Elune

SH have always gave me a...darker vibe closer to Warlocks. But yeah, you're right, they serpent totem and and the healing wave thing
Old 06-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949
Send a message via MSN to Xarthat

That is not what I call multi-classing. Under that name, I'd assume something more of a "get abilities of a first level warrior this time".
Old 06-01-2012, 02:20 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
That is not what I call multi-classing. Under that name, I'd assume something more of a "get abilities of a first level warrior this time".
It's not D&D-style multi-classing, but the idea is born from the appearance of NPC's in-game that have obvious traits from two classes. The two-class requirement is really just a gating mechanism, similar to the level 55 Death Knight requirement, with the hope that leveling two similar classes will make the transition to the accompanying hero class a little smoother, as the in-game mechanics should bear some familiarity.

And, obviously, as others have so aptly suggested, it works for more than just the four examples I gave - those are just the ones that came to mind, and fit what I thought was a need to add more tanks and healers, as well as maybe give a few more classes reasons to roll on obscure armor like spell chain and plate.

"If you come back in here, I am gonna hit you with so many rights you are going to beg for a left."
Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949
Send a message via MSN to Xarthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
It's not D&D-style multi-classing, but the idea is born from the appearance of NPC's in-game that have obvious traits from two classes. The two-class requirement is really just a gating mechanism, similar to the level 55 Death Knight requirement, with the hope that leveling two similar classes will make the transition to the accompanying hero class a little smoother, as the in-game mechanics should bear some familiarity.

And, obviously, as others have so aptly suggested, it works for more than just the four examples I gave - those are just the ones that came to mind, and fit what I thought was a need to add more tanks and healers, as well as maybe give a few more classes reasons to roll on obscure armor like spell chain and plate.
And I think all of those can work without messing around with existing classes. Demonology warlocks are already as close to DHs as we will ever be, and other ideas can potentially be their own, independent classes.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:29 PM

Echo of the Past

There's also the element of fun, flavorful affiliation. For example, the Death Knight is the only class affiliated with the Scourge?

Well, the Demon Hunter could similarly become affiliated with the Illidari. The Gladiator could become affiliated with some rebel faction within the Horde, disagreeing with whoever the current Horde leadership is.

Etc., etc.

"Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse."
Old 06-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Trade Baroness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
And I think all of those can work without messing around with existing classes. Demonology warlocks are already as close to DHs as we will ever be, and other ideas can potentially be their own, independent classes.
Doing it his way makes the classes feel more heroic, since you have to fulfill certain criteria to get them, and reduces the amount of people who have no idea of how their class works.Unless you want to force everyone to start a new level 1 character or have people, with no idea of how their class works, ruin your dungeon runs this is the way to go.

It's a shame Blizzard didn't make a monk starting area, which continues where the pandaren starting area ended. I don't want to do BC again!

Last edited by Nazja; 06-01-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 02:37 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Doing it his way makes the classes feel more heroic, since you have to fulfill certain criteria to get them, and reduces the amount of people who have no idea of how their class works.
That's sort of the idea.

The problem with the Death Knight model is you can level any class to 55 and get a DK. But leveling a Priest to 55 does nothing to prepare you for playing a Death Knight.

In this case, the pre-requisite classes contain enough mechanical similarity to the new hero class that, presumably, new players of the hero class would be better equipped to play them at a high level right away.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:11 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

I was going to come here and poop on the party and post about why this system wouldn't ever be implemented.

But I'm no party pooper.

Lets see Druid + Shaman = Witch Doctor!

Last edited by Porimlys; 06-01-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Demon Hunter

I don't think they would introduce so many classes all at once. And I don't think they will require you to level so many characters to 85. If you want to play all those classes, that's a lot of time you have to invest before you get to play the new classes. And then what? Level a Rogue and Warlock to level 85 just to never play them again after that? I personally would like it, I always liked the idea of turning my Paladin into a Death Knight. But it's just not casual enough.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Elune

Bolvar is not saying that they would put them all at once. And Blizz is encouragin making multiple characters. I dont see why not
Old 06-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

I like this idea. It's a fresh way of getting new classes in. Might I suggest another:

The Dreadlord: Yeah, it's a Demon, not a class, but hear me out. Requirements: sufficient leveling as both a Warlock and a Priest.
Lore Functionality: You are a Demon, but you are possessing a humanoid host (just like Westwind and Dathrohan) (which is the race your choosing). Perhaps you'd start as a human cultist, and then you screw up and summon a Nathrezim to possess you.

Might I also suggest that a few Hero Classes could be unlocked with simply one class getting to the appropriate level. The ArchDruid, Archmage, and the Farseer all fit that category. The purpose would be for you to be able to start on a new realm with friends at something other than base level.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Bolvar is not saying that they would put them all at once. And Blizz is encouragin making multiple characters. I dont see why not
They wouldn't encourage us to level 2 characters just to unlock a new class. Lots of players would just never play those classes again after they unlocked the new class, and it could force them to play a class to level 85 that they dont like. It's also unfair because some players already have those classes at level 85, and those players could start playing this class directly at launch while others would have to invest weeks of time to get there. Unless they announce their plans before launch. But then everybody would just level those characters beforehand, and most people can play the new class when the expansion launches. Then they can just as well remove the requirement altogether. The only reason the Death Knight had the level 55 requirement was so people couldn't get a high level character right away. They even dropped the idea of having a quest chain to unlock the Death Knight, they would not make us go through something like that. I hate to be the party pooper, but I just see too many flaws in it.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:48 PM

Trade Baroness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
They wouldn't encourage us to level 2 characters just to unlock a new class. Lots of players would just never play those classes again after they unlocked the new class, and it could force them to play a class to level 85 that they dont like. It's also unfair because some players already have those classes at level 85, and those players could start playing this class directly at launch while others would have to invest weeks of time to get there. Unless they announce their plans before launch. But then everybody would just level those characters beforehand, and most people can play the new class when the expansion launches. Then they can just as well remove the requirement altogether. The only reason the Death Knight had the level 55 requirement was so people couldn't get a high level character right away. They even dropped the idea of having a quest chain to unlock the Death Knight, they would not make us go through something like that. I hate to be the party pooper, but I just see too many flaws in it.
People who don't want to play certain classes will probably also not want to play the combined class made by mixing them. If I dislike Hunters and Shamans, I wont try out a Shadow Hunter.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
People who don't want to play certain classes will probably also not want to play the combined class made by mixing them. If I dislike Hunters and Shamans, I wont try out a Shadow Hunter.
Maybe you like one class, but not the second one. Or maybe you like both classes, and you would play them, but you just don't have the time. There are some classes, that I like to play, but I just don't do raids with them, so no reason to levell them to Level 85. And even though a class might have the same theme as another class, like Death Knight and Necromancer, they would still play very differently. Or Rogue and Warlock don't have to be like Demon Hunter at all. If they just feel like already existing classes Blizzard will probably not add them. They want to add something, that doesn't feel like an already existing class. Look at the Monk.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:28 PM

Hypersensitive

Quote:
SH have always gave me a...darker vibe closer to Warlocks. But yeah, you're right, they serpent totem and and the healing wave thing
I've always seen them closer to shadow priests than warlocks.

"Huh. I didn't know you could do *that* in Mexico City."
Old 06-02-2012, 02:39 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

This idea would be amazeballs if it got in game .
Old 06-02-2012, 02:52 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphemialibritannia View Post
I've always seen them closer to shadow priests than warlocks.
Its a straight up shaman with the thematics of a shadowpriest and the ability to throw stuff.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

I'll admit that's a very interesting concept you've presented there.

Minor correction, your Necromancer wouldn't be available to Tauren, given the fact they can't be mages at the moment. Similar qualms with racial restrictions of hunters, shaman and priest.

That's not a complaint, mind you, the examples you provided actually work nicely in including some of the obvious candidate races while eliminating other more less convenient ones.

Tauren don't really fit the bill for necromancers, but they make plenty of sense as gladiators, for example.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:34 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
I like this idea. It's a fresh way of getting new classes in. Might I suggest another:

The Dreadlord: Yeah, it's a Demon, not a class, but hear me out. Requirements: sufficient leveling as both a Warlock and a Priest.
Lore Functionality: You are a Demon, but you are possessing a humanoid host (just like Westwind and Dathrohan) (which is the race your choosing). Perhaps you'd start as a human cultist, and then you screw up and summon a Nathrezim to possess you.
Oh, you opened the door to new race-classes!

The Ogre-Mage
Requirements: Sufficient leveling as both a Warlock and a Paladin.