View Poll Results: Did you enjoy the story in Diablo 3
Yes 22 55.00%
No 11 27.50%
Don't care about Diablo 3 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Default Did you enjoy the story in Diablo 3?

Mostly just a genuinely curious question.

Despite the problems that you have with the story, did you enjoy it?
Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Needs more options... I'm luke warm about the story, I enjoyed some aspects and abhor others.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 PM

Eternal

I'm not exactly a huge fan of the story so far BUT it's only fair for me to wait until all of the expansions have been released before I pass judgement. For now, I shall abstain from voting.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Slowpokeking

Diablo series were not amazing because of its story, what I heard from my friends is that the main plot is still not good compare to RPG like DAO or KOTOR, many details are cool.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Diablo series were not amazing because of its story, what I heard from my friends is that the main plot is still not good compare to RPG like DAO or KOTOR, many details are cool.
Diablo 1 kicked ass but I think the problem is that your character became more important while the universe seemed to shrink in response. Just my opinion.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasarax View Post
Diablo 1 kicked ass but I think the problem is that your character became more important while the universe seemed to shrink in response. Just my opinion.
Yes, it's still cool when I played it in 2009, some quests are pretty good.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
I think it's best we just let it talk and not respond.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 PM

Elune

I enjoyed it fine enough but maybe that was because I was playing it as a Demon Hunter. The enemies just remind me too much of the same shit that WoW has with its main bad guys, not much nuance but it's still passable imo.

I'll just go with yes, I'm also just lukewarm about it. What keeps me sane is the personality of the classes and how they mesh up, the game's setting is much more welcome for more ruthless characters like the Demon Hunter so that's great in itself.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:21 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Liked it like I like StarCraft II's, but didn't like it too much.

6/10

W3 had 9/10 for me, by the way, so you compare.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I think it's best we just let it talk and not respond.
You think Diablo 3's story is better than DAO and KOTOR? Seriously?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:48 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Didn't pack the same punch as SC2, but still pretty good. The structure was all there.

Last edited by Porimlys; 06-08-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Eternal

Was no where near as interesting as Wings of Liberty was, but I did enjoy Act 1 a lot, and was interested in seeing the plot go forward. The acts after act 1 seemed rushed/almost forced and there were things that didn't match up with the previous lore. I didn't end the game with a feeling of "That was great!" But I didn't end the game thinking "Wtf!?"
Old 06-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

The overall idea, while not stupendous or original, was definitely in the right ball park. Act 1's intro made sense, a nice refresher on D1 as well as a neatly tied introduction to what Sanctuary has become (as well as who Leah is). Then it went off the rails.

Having Magda taunt us throughout the search was pointless, a one and done intro for her would have been fine, followed by messengers and mini-bosses detailing who she was through quips and small chunks of dialogue. The Butcher as a boss was unnecessary nostalgia fodder, they could've gone with literally anything on that fight and it'd have been just the same. They created zero ambiance for the intro to it (in direct contrast to the Kulle and Cydaea fights where you get exactly who these people/demons are) as well as no real lead up to what we were facing (again in contrast to Belial and Azmodan). The Butcher was a roadblock, Belial was a boss.

Act 2 could also have been far more interesting. The start made sense, but only so far as it asked you to get a sense of Caldeum. After you walked through one desert though, it all became a slog. Finding Adria should have been the overarching goal of the Act with Belial as the watchdog standing over her (leaving his brother screwed out of half an army). This would've also given the act's theme (lies and deceit) more impact, because the entire purpose of saving Adria and reuniting the two was in fact a ruse on Adria's part. To do this, again have Adria leave messages (with Belial/the Emperor trying to dissuade you from following the path she sets up) and using Kulle's soul stone as the lynch pin to the plan. The idea that Adria would've been caught trying to mark Belial (considering Azmodan was aware of the plan) isn't completely out of the question, and it's also fairly obvious that she would be leaving crumbs for Diablo/Leah on the way there. The environment overall (with the exception of the aquaducts/oasis) was bland, and contributed to the stark and forgettable plot with the exception of Kulle.

Act 3 was a complete wash, a needless repetition of Lord of Destruction. I don't mind defending a keep, nor going down into hell, but the two together created one long, boring storyless slog. We should have been fighting to get to the keep, not fighting our way out of it. The first third of the act would have been better served as a tour of Arreat's destruction and getting to the keep on the edge of the crater. The second part should have been the keep's defense (which inevitably fails). Finally, the third part of the act should have been stopping Azmodan's bid to open a hell gate at the Keep's top.

Act 4 was far and away too short, as well as too focused on Hell for its length. Having to jump through the Hellgate Leah/Diablo creates after her resurrection and kill the Sin Hearts makes more sense here and gives us a better sense of what's to come once we head into heaven. It also makes more sense story wise as having Adria being the only one onboard for Diablo's plans doesn't jive with his sudden control over the hordes of Hell.

Once the Sin Hearts are destroyed we head up to heaven in the 2nd part and seek out the Angiris Council (saving more than just one of their number and showing more of Imperious) as well as destroying the corruption that's fouled it. Finally, once the Angiris Council is together and aware of Diablo's plans (as well as explaining what the hell the Arch is to new comers), then we go up and face Diablo by moving the Council members into place to stem the tide of Diablo's reinforcements. Both game flow and story flow wise this makes the most sense (we aren't diving back into hell randomly and we're seeing Diablo make a grand gamble, not an assured victory), as well as giving us a better sense of seeing heaven as a thing to be saved, not a corrupted wasteland to be purged.

At least that's my 2c.

The Mad Admin
Old 06-08-2012, 05:41 PM

Guru of Gilneas

I second Cantus's assessment.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:07 PM

Eternal

Another thing, when Diablo reaches the arch, we are inside a building, all we see is the angels fall over and clutch of their heads. We don't see him doing anything until the very end. We are being told throughout act 4 he is climbing towards the arch, then we slog through endless monsters that somehow appeared in a bunch of cramped halls, and get to the room where we find out he has reached the arch.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 PM

Arch-Druid

Lots of good points brought up, but Id like to agree completely that the second half of the game felt rushed and very short, and I fail to see how that's possible after over a decade to work on this game.

Last edited by Ardeiute; 06-08-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorns View Post
Lots of good points brought up, but Id like to agree completely that the second half of the game felt rushed and very short, and I fail to see how that's possible after over a decade to work on this game.
They even pushed the date back several times. I thought they did that to make it as amazing as possible, but instead they cut so much.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshadowz View Post
They even pushed the date back several times. I thought they did that to make it as amazing as possible, but instead they cut so much.
Obviously not as much to the same degree, but I kind of see how Duke Nukem fans felt after Forever finally launched.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:35 PM

Ashbringer
BattleTag: Montoya#1769

I enjoyed it, but think it should have consisted of more dialogue and cut-scenes. I'd apply this especially to the angels, I think more should have gone on between our character and angels as well as the angels with each other. Act 2 I think most of us would agree had very little going for it as far as the big picture is concerned. When I beat the game and saw the ending, I couldn't help but feel very excited... and my mind was all over the place because of

SPOILERS....

Imperius, Malthael... so rich with potential.
Montoya = Tauren Arms/Prot Warrior
Felbane = Blood Elf Demo/Destro Warlock

Last edited by Montoya; 06-08-2012 at 10:41 PM..
Old 06-09-2012, 06:32 AM

Priestess of the Moon

The characters and the plot is way too clichéd and stupid. I like the setting and the backstory of Sanctuary and it's civilizations however
Old 06-10-2012, 03:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

If the final act was longer and had more depth to it then i would have gave the game's story a 9/10 (i give it a 7/10) for myself. It just felt rushed in the end after the entire third act siege (which i loved).

I enjoyed it just as much as i did Wings of Liberty (i have a feeling that the expansions are going to be amazing with there focus more on the story rather than mechanics etc).

Imperius was indeed my favourite character as i felt with him not getting major screentime we still got a feel for the character and surely know how his mind works.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Story? What story? When i played it the first time with my clone, one of his homeys joined in and proceeded to skip all the cut scenes. And i mean ALL of them. Granted, i don't give two shits about Diablo in general and the story in particular, but someone just skipping them cutscenes is just rude, no matter if you actually intend to watch them (had he asked i'd have agreed).

Now that i know the story i gotta say: boring. Stupid and boring.

Quote:
Would you rather have a new raid or a new raid?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:26 PM

Critter

I have to say of it some small toriies moved me.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:05 AM

Trade Baroness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
Story? What story? When i played it the first time with my clone, one of his homeys joined in and proceeded to skip all the cut scenes. And i mean ALL of them. Granted, i don't give two shits about Diablo in general and the story in particular, but someone just skipping them cutscenes is just rude, no matter if you actually intend to watch them (had he asked i'd have agreed).

Now that i know the story i gotta say: boring. Stupid and boring.
You keep mentioning your clone, who is he? (Yes, I enjoyed the story. It might not have been great or surprising, but I still found enjoyment in it.)