Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 02-17-2017, 09:33 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUmfsvegMRo

This celebrity actually started an organization to stop human trafficking and apparently has been successful.
I don't think Hollywood is in a position to talk about child abuse.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
I don't think Hollywood is in a position to talk about child abuse.
Hollywood has issues with pedophilia but I don't think Ashton Kutcher does.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHnjlQC6Puw

Sometimes PJW is both fun to listen to and on point, this is one of those times.

Those rich cunts deserve to be slammed.
Stupid lefty communists, attacking capitalism- Oh wait.

Who are the bad guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
The media attack against PewDiePie follows the exact same strategy they've followed against Trump, and many other "problematic people" before.

They just redpilled all 50 million followers of Pewds. Zero self-awareness. You can't make this shit up.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 02-17-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Hollywood has issues period. Scientology wasn't the first cult to take in celebrities. Mel Gibson wasn't the first Christian Extremist to pop-up from there.

It's not a "Hollywood" thing though, it's a money and power thing. You see these same issues in corporate boards and mega-church purveyors (see prosperity gospel and the fleecing of the underclass).

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:12 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post

The media attack against PewDiePie follows the exact same strategy they've followed against Trump, and many other "problematic people" before.

They just redpilled all 50 million followers of Pewds. Zero self-awareness. You can't make this shit up.
I'm a little surprised at this, the media isn't 'attacking' him or trump, they did / said stupid things and then act like it's unreasonable that anyone calls them out on it or that there be any consequences for their actions.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 02-17-2017, 11:13 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Hollywood has issues period. Scientology wasn't the first cult to take in celebrities. Mel Gibson wasn't the first Christian Extremist to pop-up from there.

It's not a "Hollywood" thing though, it's a money and power thing. You see these same issues in corporate boards and mega-church purveyors (see prosperity gospel and the fleecing of the underclass).
Some of the problems are Hollywood things.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Some of the problems are Hollywood things.
They're not "Hollywood things" so much as power-trips and abuse through the lens of what Hollywood celebrities would be known for. At the root of it is still the idea that higher-ups are insulated from the masses and descend into debauchery because of it.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I'm a little surprised at this, the media isn't 'attacking' him or trump, they did / said stupid things and then act like it's unreasonable that anyone calls them out on it or that there be any consequences for their actions.
And now that media thats demanding "consequences" for someone doing something they didnt like is facing consequences of its own.

I mean, honest question..

Do you not understand how sinister "I dont like your actions, so I demand consequences" is?

They didnt break any laws. They said some stupid shit. In both cases, media twisted what was said and done.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:18 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHnjlQC6Puw

Sometimes PJW is both fun to listen to and on point, this is one of those times.

Those rich cunts deserve to be slammed.
I've said it before: she's a cunt.

This chap does a fine job of showing that.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:29 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
And now that media thats demanding "consequences" for someone doing something they didnt like is facing consequences of its own.

I mean, honest question..

Do you not understand how sinister "I dont like your actions, so I demand consequences" is?

They didnt break any laws. They said some stupid shit. In both cases, media twisted what was said and done.
That's not sinister that's natural public opinion.

The youtube guy faced that when Disney kicked him and Trump faces it every day when people point out how he's catering to people who softball questions for him and colluding with a hostile foreign power.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 02-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Watch the media/tumblr start calling his 12 year old fans The Hitler Youth. They're not above going after children, just remember the attacks on Barron Trump unironically implying he's mentally retarded for acting awkward on stage.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Elune

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
That's not sinister that's natural public opinion.

The youtube guy faced that when Disney kicked him and Trump faces it every day when people point out how he's catering to people who softball questions for him and colluding with a hostile foreign power.
Lets take Trump out of the picture.

Enough people voted for him that "public opinion" is split at best.

Lets focus on Pewdiepie.

How was this "public" opinion, when it didnt become a public issue until a journalist reported him to disney and wrote a story about it, in many cases twisting things out of context?

How is this any different than when Gawker tried to out a CEO at cande naste, other than some people (but by no means all) think being gay is ok?

The answer is its not.

Everyone has missteps and does jokes or shit that someone will find offensive.

Are you now condoning (this is a rhetorical question, because you are, even if you dont realize it) the act of journalists hunting down anything someone even remotely tied to "public" life that can be considered "wrongthink" and posting it so they can face the "consequences of their actions"?

Jesus Christ mutters, your essentially advocating for Journalists to hint down people they dont like to start a moral and public outrage for no other reason than they did something said journalist didnt like.

And EVERYONE does bad jokes and shit.

But, ive got a feeling you wont care because right now, you think its ok to be done, and youll find some gymnastic to seperate the Conde Naste incident from this one
Old 02-17-2017, 12:57 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Jesus Christ mutters, your essentially advocating for Journalists to hint down people they dont like to start a moral and public outrage for no other reason than they did something said journalist didnt like.
He was advocating for violence towards ''nazis'' a few weeks back, are you surprised? Which if now would have made an innocent man a target to both physical violence and ruining his life (ostracized from his community).
Old 02-17-2017, 01:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
He was advocating for violence towards ''nazis'' a few weeks back, are you surprised? Which if now would have made an innocent man a target to both physical violence and ruining his life (ostracized from his community).
Look, im not saying Mutters is one, but extremist types on both sides have a "no bad tactics, only bad targets".

Even some of the super progressive sites were advocating not to punch nazis, not because it was "wrong" but because it was a bad tactic due to media attention of the target.

Thats fucked up.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:06 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

PDP's error was in not providing context for the joke within the concept presented. He oversimplified the humor and thus left out crucial parts that are necessary to definitively show it wasn't a random promotion of racism. It's like bad performance art.

Should we be worried he's actually anti-semitic? No. Should Disney be worried that he's too inept at black humor to not cause excessive controversy? Yes.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
They could always try stopping ISIS or doing humanitarian things for the majority of the victims that are still trapped in the country the migrants are fleeing from. It may not be as trendy but it is far more helpful than what they are doing.
That's literally wacis.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 02-17-2017, 01:11 PM

Elune

Quote:
PDP's error was in not providing context for the joke within the concept presented. He oversimplified the humor and thus left out crucial parts that are necessary to definitively show it wasn't a random promotion of racism. It's like bad performance art.

Should we be worried he's actually anti-semitic? No. Should Disney be worried that he's too inept at black humor to not cause excessive controversy? Yes.
Exactly. Pity the media and other folks do the total opposite.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:33 PM

Elune

Quote:

But they're okay with Sarah Silverman being in their movies despite being equally inept at black humor.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
But they're okay with Sarah Silverman being in their movies despite being equally inept at black humor.
Did I ever say anything of the sort or are you putting words in my mouth?

Try asking that question again without making it accusatory or situated on a false premise.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
I don't know if you knew this, but the master sleuths over at The_Donald are about to blow pizzagate wide open and Hollywood is implicated as but only one piece of the sordid puzzle. Did you know Bill and Hillary use the Clinton Foundation as a front for human trafficking?? Any day now, we'll be seeing the arrests!

But seriously, I can go browse The_Donald on reddit for about 15 minutes and have a pretty solid idea what people like Mertico are going to be saying for the next couple days.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Did I ever say anything of the sort or are you putting words in my mouth?

Try asking that question again without making it accusatory or situated on a false premise.
I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just pointing out an inconsistency in Disney's thought process.

The fact that they're wound up about this, admittedly understandable, but they don't seem to be wound up about hiring someone who joked about killing Jesus.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 02-17-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just pointing out an inconsistency in Disney's thought process.
And by virtue of your phrasing it was an equal refutation of my own argument implying that they were being biased in their support for one individual and not another.

Silverman's humor is childish and disturbing, but she's also not tweeting "I want to suck Hitler's dick" without any context. PDP's was, again, not provided within the functional context of an immediately discernible joke.

Here's the difference between Silverman and PDP (note neither of these individuals have said this joke to my knowledge, I'm making shit up):

PDP:
A: I want you to carry around a sign saying "I love sucking Hitler's dick."
B: What the fuck?
A: Yeah, wouldn't it be totally hilarious if someone wrote that on a sign. I'll pay you to do it.
B: Why the fuck would I do that?
A: Because no one wants to suck Hitler's dick. So, it's so wild, why would you want to suck his dick? I mean, people would ask questions!
B: That's retarded. But money is money. Just make sure people know I don't actually want to suck his dick.
A: Yeah, sure, we'll add that to the description text.

Silverman:
A: I want suck Hitler's dick.
B: What the fuck?
A: No, totally, because then I'd be able to bite his dick off.
B: WHAT THE FUCK!?
A: Are you telling me you wouldn't bite Hitler's dick off? Cause who wants to follow a phallusless fuherer? I'd be the girl that saved germany. And I'd get a Rammstein song out of it!
B: That's fucked!
A: So you don't want to be heavy metal?
B: Jesus christ you're crazy!
A: What about just the balls? Then we could bronze them and give him back to him for earrings after his sudden sex change!
B: Okay...okay...where the fuck did I leave that time machine?

Old 02-17-2017, 02:25 PM

Eternal

Pewds response.
Isn't an issue with being pissed at jokes, it's the smear campaign of tarring him a Nazi.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:04 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

1) He still fucked up and he needs to do a breakdown and full analysis of where and how it occurred.

2) I don't care about his little war with the media, he's producing content that I personally find utterly retarded. That's why they're portraying him as they are. His content. It's not a misunderstanding, it's a statement that he's dumbing down America.

3) If he really doesn't want to be seen like a Nazi, he needs to stop going bleach blond and close-cropped. That's an Aryan haircut if I've ever seen one.

Tags
realspace, serious business