Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 07-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Problemsolver

Default Penguins on the northern hemisphere?

A thing has been bugging me for a while in the World of Warcraft; Penguins reside on the northern hemisphere. This is to me very illogical, so I had to get to the bottom of this.

I wrote a ticket to speak with a Gamemaster of WoW. The result was truly amusing, and I feel it would be fun to share it with you people!

We didn't really find out where the penguins did get their food, but we can always hope Tirion is the one who is kind enough to bring them food.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:34 PM

Arch-Druid

I can't believe you actually ticketed a GM about this. And actually got a proper response. That's awesome Great conversation!

Last edited by Dark Avenger; 07-08-2009 at 04:37 PM..
Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

This just makes me pissed that it seems Azeroth's equator is not along the middle of the planet, but the south fucking pole.

Unless Azeroth's magnetic field is screwy and what is north to them is south on Earth.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 PM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Avenger View Post
I can't believe you actually ticketed a GM about this. And actually got a proper response. That's awesome Great conversation!
I mostly ticket GMs when I really feel like I can get an awesome conversation out of it. Like the time I mention in this conversation; I visited the empty furbolg-camp at the roots of Teldrassil, or so to say. I presumed they were on a vacation, so I asked the GM if he could name the place Danzigland so I could raise my family there. If the furbolgs were to return I'd slaughter them, of course.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I mostly ticket GMs when I really feel like I can get an awesome conversation out of it. Like the time I mention in this conversation; I visited the empty furbolg-camp at the roots of Teldrassil, or so to say. I presumed they were on a vacation, so I asked the GM if he could name the place Danzigland so I could raise my family there. If the furbolgs were to return I'd slaughter them, of course.
lol

I really should try something like that.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Problemsolver

I also contacted a GM when I visited the area west titled Quel'Danas west of the Plaguelands. He told me horrible spirits possessed that land, and that I must flee. After that he teleported me to Orgrimmar.

Then once when I was up climbing the mountains above Gnomeregan I asked if I could call THAT place Danzigland, and I could raise a family there, but nope... Teleport back to Orgrimmar.

I've also contacted a GM when I was in the area north-westish of Stonetalon Mountains. I couldn't live there either. The GM was more interested in how I got there then about my wish for making the land my own. He said I'd better get away from the place before a less mercifull GM came and banned me. And then he teleported me to Orgrimmar.

Then once I was at the end of the world in Durotar (can't get there anymore). There was this piece of land east of Sen'jin Village. I had full Bloodsail-gear on and spoke pirate-like. That GM teleported me away to Orgrimmar aswell after a little pirate-speak with eachother.

So basically I've gotten caught several times for exploiting and visiting prohibited areas. I'm lucky I've met kind GMs.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Seems like it. And nice conversation there.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:38 PM

Keeper of the Grove

One time on a troll hunter in Durotar I literally got stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hearthstone was 55min cooldown still. so I ticketed. The GM literally came out to see that I was indeed stuck between a rock and a hard place (if those are interested, check the SE side of the rock grove SSW of Tiragarde Keep, just east of the road S from Razor Hill). he was a troll warrior decked out in a full red gear set (all cloth). He ported me out and gave me some 2% hp5 fish.

And then, like all my GM interactions, I asked him to spawn Ragnaros. I've gotten some rather shocked reactions from that...one day it will happen, and the world shall burn.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

That ticket is just stupid!

They can't climb?

For god's sake, everyone knows that...

Penguins can fly!!!!

Anyway, Aneurysm, you're my personal WoW god since this day xDDD.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 07-09-2009 at 03:40 AM..
Old 07-09-2009, 04:53 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

I once ticketed a GM about an exploit. It seems my character was repeatedly being rooted indoors, which was a problem and was giving the opposition an unfair advantage. The GM came on sincere enough and asked me if I could give him the name of the offending player. When I said Sunseeker Herbalist the only response I got was a sigh and they closed the ticket.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 AM

Eternal

Lol yeah it has boogled my mind too. As there are no penguins on the northpole, like there arent any polar bears on the southpole. Also Penguins dont fly. And there are Penguins in South Africa.

And the ecuator (lol) in WoW makes sense. Dun Morogh would look like the Badlands if it wasnt for the high heights. Or thats what I think. Or Azeroth just has a more distant sun then ours, making it colder.

And in the south I think there are powerful ley-lines warming up the lands.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:29 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Ok that made me laugh
Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 PM

Arch-Druid

The blue dragonflight has always looked after the welfare of the penguins. I even had Sapphiron there to safeguard the Penguin King, but in the end Arthas managed to coerce my rare ring from the penguin.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:42 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Unless Azeroth's magnetic field is screwy and what is north to them is south on Earth.
What's north on Earth now wasn't always north. Every few thousand years, the field strenght slowly declines, then reverses poles and rapidly builds up the strength again. Based on current data, this should happen on Earth again around year 3000 - 4000 (estimate, of course, as a lot of data is still subject to debate).
Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malygos View Post
The blue dragonflight has always looked after the welfare of the penguins. I even had Sapphiron there to safeguard the Penguin King, but in the end Arthas managed to coerce my rare ring from the penguin.
Hey! I thought to have killed you?

What now, Eye of Eternity was merely a setback or wtf?

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufy View Post
What's north on Earth now wasn't always north. Every few thousand years, the field strenght slowly declines, then reverses poles and rapidly builds up the strength again. Based on current data, this should happen on Earth again around year 3000 - 4000 (estimate, of course, as a lot of data is still subject to debate).
That's exactly what I was alluding to.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Elune

The magnetic poles and the geographic poles are different. I don't think the magnetic field reversing causes the Earth to flip on its axis.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
The magnetic poles and the geographic poles are different. I don't think the magnetic field reversing causes the Earth to flip on its axis.
No, but it would cause compasses to point the other direction.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:20 PM

Elune

Well, yes, but if you're standing on the north pole, your compass points south anyway. If I recall, magnetic north is somewhere in the Hudson Bay. What I'm getting at is that the magnetic north pole has only a small bearing on the "north pole." Even when the poles switch polarities, we'll still be calling Antarctica the "south pole."
Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Well, yes, but if you're standing on the north pole, your compass points south anyway. If I recall, magnetic north is somewhere in the Hudson Bay. What I'm getting at is that the magnetic north pole has only a small bearing on the "north pole." Even when the poles switch polarities, we'll still be calling Antarctica the "south pole."
Well, that's also because we have more advanced technology than the compass.

Azeroth doesn't.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:54 PM

Elune

Hasn't the geographic North Pole been set as such since they started putting longitude on maps? I think Azerothian navigational technology is somewhat more advanced than having your navigator stare through a lens DIRECTLY IN TO THE SUN.

Yes, if they switched polarity during the Age of Sail, people would be confused, but I don't think people are going to mistake Tierra del Fuego for Iceland. England would still be referred to as being north of Europe's mainland.

Last edited by Fordragon; 07-13-2009 at 04:56 PM..
Old 07-14-2009, 02:57 PM

Sentinel Queen

I'm insanely bugged by that nobody's shot off the Doesn't-Have-To-Work-As-In-Our-World card yet. It ruins the fun, but really...
Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
What do you call north geographic pole on Uranus, which has an axial tilt of 97 degrees (Earth's is around 23 degrees)? "North" and "South" have no meaning in space, geographic north pole on Earth is simply called that because we defined it as north. Currently, the north magnetic pole is close to it, slowly traveling towards syberia, but when magnetic poles switch, we'll have north magnetic pole next to south geographic pole and south magnetic pole next to north geographic pole. So it all depends on definition. Hell, geographic pole varies a bit as well (tilts a few meters on a periodic basis), yet we define it as a fixed point for purposes of navigation and mapmaking.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

For all we know, Azeroth's axial tilt might be similar to that of Uranus - with one pole constantly being exposed to sun, and another one constantly away from it. If that's not the case, it's magic!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 AM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
For all we know, Azeroth's axial tilt might be similar to that of Uranus - with one pole constantly being exposed to sun, and another one constantly away from it. If that's not the case, it's magic!
If one pole was tilted toward the sun, day and night would each last half of the year.