Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Question The Novice Sanctuary (Simple Q&A on Azeroth)

The place to ask all those questions typically answered by "go look it up on wowwiki." A safe, flame free environment for the lore uninitiated.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.

Last edited by Shaman; 03-20-2015 at 12:23 AM..
Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 AM

Elune

Hey this is a really good idea, it avoids spam and so forth.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:49 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Odd we never thought to put it up before.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 AM

Ranger
Send a message via MSN to Lob_SG

Horde Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayreyy View Post
are you cereal
I'm sure not are you? Please stop asking that lol

EDIT: Jamma:
"I believe that dark shamans use a twisted, perverted form of shamanism. Instead of requesting the elements for their aid, the dark shamans force their powers to manifest. Kinda like Blood Knights before the Sunwell patch."

Yep I can see that it. Hmm twisting the elements and natural flow to your will and have it do your bidding, instead of asking the elements for their permission? Kinda sounds like something else the Horde had going for them at the time. ie Warlocks.

And while on the topic of Deathwing and his raping escapades, was anyone else kind of caught off guard by his new art? Namely the over the top lava floage from that face and the ice breaker of a chin? I know he the big new baddie but damn. And these aren't exactly new changes are they? I mean he had the whole "Molten Plate Skin" surgery waaaay back in WoTA right? Like 10,000 years ago right? Featured in many books like DotD and they didn't put much, if any, emphasis on his lava-y roar-y side. Bulkin' him up a bit for the new X-pac or did I miss something? Here's a pic from the man behind the lore, Chris Metzen's sketch of him circa 2004. It's not even that long ago and he was more of a sinister plotting insane dragon than a big rawr machine. Also this may just be me getting nostalgic but whatever happened to the orc's working with (enslaving in the case of reds) dragons? I kind of miss that aspect and hope to see more on this subplot soon. Also on a waaaay sidenote doesn't Alezstraza seem just a bit forgiving if you play an orc character? Like alright I guess you're not too mad that we enslaved your race and raped you to create flying mosters for our war machine. Probably our bad. Either way...

FOR THE HORDE!
Attached Images

Last edited by Lob_SG; 11-04-2009 at 02:02 AM..
Old 11-04-2009, 04:12 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

I like the new Deathwing model. The other picture from '04 was cool...but not threatening at all. Cool looking models are more fun to beat up than skinny, lame ones.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 AM

Ranger

hey before i ask questions here i always look at wowwiki first to get the facts i've been using wowwiki for over a year now lol.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:56 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Yeah, that's what we're hoping people do, but we may as well keep a place for those who don't take the time for it. Not to mention, some articles on wowwiki have been known to push the boundaries on what's actually canon, so it's better to have a place to answer questions like "Are Hakkar the Houndmaster and Hakkar the Soulflayer related?" (A resounding no for any lurkers out there.)

Old 05-03-2009, 11:00 AM

Chimaera

So would this be like a SoL version of Diablofans' Ask Lore Questions Here (No Theories)? Or would we make a new Sticky similar to this?

I was about to suggest the idea here on the Spam thread.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Yep, that's exactly what this is for. We tend to theorycraft everywhere else, so this thread is dedicated to answers that can be directly cited from canon sources.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

There are no sources claiming their age, but they're at least several hundreds of thousands of years old, since they infected Azeroth around the time of Azeroth's ordering, more than 120,000 years ago.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Pretty Old.

They fought the titans at the Ordering of Azeroth, 147.000 years before the first war.

More info here: http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Old_Gods_...ing_of_Azeroth

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Hippogryph

I read something about a pentagon theory on the Old Gods' locations. Ulduar, Darkshore, Silithus, and then 2 other locations (STV--Hakkar? + Quel'thalas?--??).

Any idea where I can find more discussion on this? Wowwiki yields very little, and even a google search is mostly useless. Thanks!

Last edited by Wickedpissah; 05-04-2009 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: to put "?" after Hakkar
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 AM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

There isn't realy much about it, but it was thought that it would fit, and the location of Yogg-Saron only strenghtens the theory.
The other locations would be where the highelves/highborn first landed (tirisfal I think) and maybe an island near stranglethorn^^
Old 05-04-2009, 10:21 AM

Hippogryph

Ah, Tirisfal. I vaguely remember reading about something like that. The only weird thing going on there though, are the Worgen. Has there been any discussion on possible links between Worgen and Old Gods?

As for Hakkar--hasn't there been speculation that Hakkar may have been an Old God, though? I hope he wasn't, because he wasn't billed as such, and it would cheapen the idea of them as the ultimate bad guys--in that we killed him, one of only five, without ever realizing that he was one.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Pentagon theory is just a theory, there are no sources backing it up.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
Pentagon theory is just a theory, there are no sources backing it up.
Not looking for sources. I'm more looking to be pointed to other relevant discussions/theorycrafting.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedpissah View Post
Ah, Tirisfal. I vaguely remember reading about something like that. The only weird thing going on there though, are the Worgen. Has there been any discussion on possible links between Worgen and Old Gods?

As for Hakkar--hasn't there been speculation that Hakkar may have been an Old God, though? I hope he wasn't, because he wasn't billed as such, and it would cheapen the idea of them as the ultimate bad guys--in that we killed him, one of only five, without ever realizing that he was one.
I haven't heard that one before, but no, he's not an Old God. Merely a very blood thirsty and evil Loa.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:41 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
I haven't heard that one before, but no, he's not an Old God. Merely a very blood thirsty and evil Loa.
Go to WoWWiki. They base it on the fact that he's called "The Facelees One" once.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:59 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
It would appear that Hakkar is not the only blood thirsty Loa out there, if the ones mentioned in the old Magic & Mayhem books are to be believed. The troll religion appears to be built upon superstition and dark mysticism. I can easily imagine a troll village practicing ritualistic sacrifices when a drought has come upon the area. Cannibalism too seems prevelent amongst the more savage of the species, especially the Drakkari and Dark Trolls.

Can you honestly imagine how it would look to see an emanciated, starved, half crazed troll crawling after you? It only makes things worse when you realize that he's going to eat you....
Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 PM

Critter

Jotun the Curse Bearer- Titan Level 80 elite

Anyone know his purpose in the game?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutalize View Post
Jotun the Curse Bearer- Titan Level 80 elite

Anyone know his purpose in the game?
Nah. I'm pretty sure he's something blizz never got around to- probably intended to be an outdoor raid boss before they realized that outdoor raids don't work and they shifted philosophies to making raiding more accessible.

It could be that the "curse" refers to the curse of flesh and he was one of the first titanic creations affected by it.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
It could be that the "curse" refers to the curse of flesh and he was one of the first titanic creations affected by it.
He's still stone though, so I don't know how accurate that speculation is. We have no idea what curse he bearing.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Loremaster

It's kind of a shame about Jotun. If ever there were a chance to make use of him, it was with the release of Ulduar. Yet true to form with raids these days, Ulduar exists in a bubble of time and space entirely cut off from the actual quest mechanics and sense of linear story progression in the outside world.

Of course, the same could be said of the Explorer's League. Ulduar could've been their time to shine as a faction, but instead they're shoehorned into the Alliance Vanguard when at this point they should probably just be a neutral faction, since the players in both the Horde and Alliance are basically raiding Ulduar at their behest (not to mention they were indirectly involved in helping both factions in Silithus as well).

If Blizz really wants outdoor raid bosses, they should just make them outright unbeatable to begin with. Anchor them to a tether to prevent kiting, give them an insanely high boss level, massive health/armor/avoidance, unprecedented damage output and resistances, and no loot table (to start with). Render them unkillable, and let them stomp around for an expansion or two (or more. why not?), daring guilds to try the impossible and challenge them. Then gradually sync their stats and behavior toward the player levels with each expansion, until when Blizz finally decides to end the whole thing, they render the bosses killable and allow max-leveled and geared players to take a crack at them in the last expansion.

Just imagine, a dozen or so mysterious Titan constructs each roughly the size of Wyrmrest Temple, spread out and marching at the bottom of the sea around the entire perimeter of the known continents. Untouchable for years and years (literally) by even the most powerful players and raining doom upon any foolish enough to try their hand at it with each progressive increase in gear and stats as expansions bring higher levels and ever-stronger loot and encourage guilds to try, vain though it is. Then the final expansion pack comes along, and at long last the world's champions are expected to confront these monolithic behemoths as part of a quest involving an endgame raid. And with each one that falls, those within a certain proximity gain a sizable timed debuff preventing overly-aggressive farming by any single guild.

...ok, got a little bit carried away there...

I just miss the days of the occasional grossly over-leveled elite laying waste to entire groups of questing players, keeping people on their toes even in zones they outlevel. Lvl 35 Mor'ladim, how I miss you. Even as a lowbie alt, Duskwood just isn't as frightening these days.

But hey, there might still be some hope for Jotun. If they really try to bring things together in the end of WotLK, we may not have seen the last of the Titans' children in this expansion. Arthas just might end up with a pissed off army of Earthen, giants and Watchers knocking on Icecrown's door alongside the mortal races as payment for the debt to the players for defeating Loken and Yogg-Saron. After all, seems like when he reappears to confront Arthas (and it seems likely he will), Muradin might at least bring some Frostborn along.

Or maybe someday they'll toss in a few class-specific quests like the old-school hunter ones back in the days of MC and BWL, and have players go kill him for some quest drop that goes into building an epic weapon.

Or not.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

We still don't know where watcher Tyr is, after all. For all he know, he's Jotun.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 PM

Eternal

I think we will see him in Uldum.
Its really the only place I could see him fit into.

Tags
isn't taran zhu dead?, lore, newbie, where are illidans pants