Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Question The Novice Sanctuary (Simple Q&A on Azeroth)

The place to ask all those questions typically answered by "go look it up on wowwiki." A safe, flame free environment for the lore uninitiated.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.

Last edited by Shaman; 03-20-2015 at 12:23 AM..
Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 AM

Elune

Hey this is a really good idea, it avoids spam and so forth.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:49 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Odd we never thought to put it up before.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 AM

Ranger

hey before i ask questions here i always look at wowwiki first to get the facts i've been using wowwiki for over a year now lol.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:56 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Yeah, that's what we're hoping people do, but we may as well keep a place for those who don't take the time for it. Not to mention, some articles on wowwiki have been known to push the boundaries on what's actually canon, so it's better to have a place to answer questions like "Are Hakkar the Houndmaster and Hakkar the Soulflayer related?" (A resounding no for any lurkers out there.)

Old 05-03-2009, 11:00 AM

Chimaera

So would this be like a SoL version of Diablofans' Ask Lore Questions Here (No Theories)? Or would we make a new Sticky similar to this?

I was about to suggest the idea here on the Spam thread.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Yep, that's exactly what this is for. We tend to theorycraft everywhere else, so this thread is dedicated to answers that can be directly cited from canon sources.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

There are no sources claiming their age, but they're at least several hundreds of thousands of years old, since they infected Azeroth around the time of Azeroth's ordering, more than 120,000 years ago.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Pretty Old.

They fought the titans at the Ordering of Azeroth, 147.000 years before the first war.

More info here: http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Old_Gods_...ing_of_Azeroth

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Hippogryph

I read something about a pentagon theory on the Old Gods' locations. Ulduar, Darkshore, Silithus, and then 2 other locations (STV--Hakkar? + Quel'thalas?--??).

Any idea where I can find more discussion on this? Wowwiki yields very little, and even a google search is mostly useless. Thanks!

Last edited by Wickedpissah; 05-04-2009 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: to put "?" after Hakkar
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 AM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

There isn't realy much about it, but it was thought that it would fit, and the location of Yogg-Saron only strenghtens the theory.
The other locations would be where the highelves/highborn first landed (tirisfal I think) and maybe an island near stranglethorn^^
Old 05-04-2009, 10:21 AM

Hippogryph

Ah, Tirisfal. I vaguely remember reading about something like that. The only weird thing going on there though, are the Worgen. Has there been any discussion on possible links between Worgen and Old Gods?

As for Hakkar--hasn't there been speculation that Hakkar may have been an Old God, though? I hope he wasn't, because he wasn't billed as such, and it would cheapen the idea of them as the ultimate bad guys--in that we killed him, one of only five, without ever realizing that he was one.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Eternal

Pentagon theory is just a theory, there are no sources backing it up.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
Pentagon theory is just a theory, there are no sources backing it up.
Not looking for sources. I'm more looking to be pointed to other relevant discussions/theorycrafting.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 AM

Eternal

This thread was created for statements based on official lore. We have enough theorycrafting everywhere else.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedpissah View Post
Ah, Tirisfal. I vaguely remember reading about something like that. The only weird thing going on there though, are the Worgen. Has there been any discussion on possible links between Worgen and Old Gods?

As for Hakkar--hasn't there been speculation that Hakkar may have been an Old God, though? I hope he wasn't, because he wasn't billed as such, and it would cheapen the idea of them as the ultimate bad guys--in that we killed him, one of only five, without ever realizing that he was one.
I haven't heard that one before, but no, he's not an Old God. Merely a very blood thirsty and evil Loa.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:41 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
I haven't heard that one before, but no, he's not an Old God. Merely a very blood thirsty and evil Loa.
Go to WoWWiki. They base it on the fact that he's called "The Facelees One" once.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Owl Scout

Undead Icon (War3)

can anyone tell me the status on half elves in warcraft universe...?i read that they are not much liked..but Varessa seems to love her children..but Alleria's son seems to be forgotten in Outland..
If this is not a question for novices then dunno..move it to a proper place...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:48 AM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
This thread was created for statements based on official lore. We have enough theorycrafting everywhere else.
And that's what I'm asking to be pointed to--not to engage in it here.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfang View Post
Go to WoWWiki. They base it on the fact that he's called "The Facelees One" once.
Ah, that...the theory wasn't that he was an Old God, but rather he was a minion of them. Still, the answer is the same, he was just a very vicious, very gluttonous Loa with a penchant for wicked deeds.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:59 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
It would appear that Hakkar is not the only blood thirsty Loa out there, if the ones mentioned in the old Magic & Mayhem books are to be believed. The troll religion appears to be built upon superstition and dark mysticism. I can easily imagine a troll village practicing ritualistic sacrifices when a drought has come upon the area. Cannibalism too seems prevelent amongst the more savage of the species, especially the Drakkari and Dark Trolls.

Can you honestly imagine how it would look to see an emanciated, starved, half crazed troll crawling after you? It only makes things worse when you realize that he's going to eat you....
Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

There's a common theme of the serpentine Loa being evil, very biblical, but the Trolls themselves ritualistic practices aren't inherently evil. Their morals are definitely on the extreme end compared to the other races, but the act of canabalism, sacrifice, or dark mysticism is more bound to alignment of why the act occurred. For instance, canabalism can be part of a celebration of a great leader, non-human sacrifices probably occur, and mystic ritual could be used to bind evil spirits from harming others. I can't remember the citation, but I do know that Witchdoctors use head shrinking for just that purpose.

In any case, this isn't the place to theorycraft, just straight up answer questions that aren't always quite clear.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineX23 View Post
can anyone tell me the status on half elves in warcraft universe...?i read that they are not much liked..but Varessa seems to love her children..but Alleria's son seems to be forgotten in Outland..
If this is not a question for novices then dunno..move it to a proper place...
It really depends on the parents. As the half-elves themselves say, "elves grow arrogance like a forest, while humans dine on the dust and stench of their cities". Elves are often too arrogant to accept their hybrid offspring, as humans are too conservative about their ages-old culture. However, few elf-human parents are responsible enough to keep up their children, like Vereesa or Alleria who supposedly kept her son until she disappeared along the kid's father.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

And here I was thinking this thread would receive no posts.

Excellent. A haven for the uninitiated at last. Good thinking Cantu'.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:48 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
It would appear that Hakkar is not the only blood thirsty Loa out there, if the ones mentioned in the old Magic & Mayhem books are to be believed. The troll religion appears to be built upon superstition and dark mysticism. I can easily imagine a troll village practicing ritualistic sacrifices when a drought has come upon the area. Cannibalism too seems prevelent amongst the more savage of the species, especially the Drakkari and Dark Trolls.
The Serpent Loa it would seem are all quasi-evil, or at the least completely amoral, as evidenced by Quetz'lun's torment in her personal hell of an afterlife of all those who attempted to draw her power.

edit: sense no I make!

Tags
isn't taran zhu dead?, lore, newbie, where are illidans pants