Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Arch-Druid

Default Battle for Azeroth - The Official Lore Thread

While faction war is raging in the BfA thread, let's go over what we know of the lore in the two new continents. Here's what I've gathered/remember:

Kul Tiras
-Was founded by Gilneans about 2,700 years ago (pretty sure Chronicle said this too).
-The kingdom is run by Katherine Proudmoore, Jaina's mother. There are four noble houses: Proudmoore, Stormsong, Waycrest, and one we don't know yet.
-There was a race called the drust in Kul Tiras before the humans lived there, and the settlers wiped them out. But the drust continued to live as ghosts, and now they have witch cultists in the present day and the Waycrest nobles of Drustvar have allied with them for power.
-The region of Drustvar provides weapons and sausages.
-The region of Stormsong Valley is where the ships are built. The sea priests devoted to the sea live here and bless all the ships made. They are under attack by dark forces from the sea (cough naga cough).
-There is a large pirate organization in the main region of the island, Tiragarde Sound, and they may be conspiring with another noble house.
-Also quilboar are on the island.

Zandalar
-Zuldazar is facing an insurrection by Zul's followers. We will work with Rastakhan's daughter.
-Atal'Dazar on Mount Mugamba is the ancient tomb complex for the Zandalari. Zul and his lieutenant Yazma are trying to resurrect the first Zandalari king. Yazma has taken Shadra's power.
-Nazmir used to be a jungle but is sinking into the sea as of Cataclysm, and has become a swamp. Bwonsamdi and other loa are here.
-Uldir is a titan complex in Nazmir where they researched and tried to find a way to stop the Old Gods. They accidentally greated a blood god named G'huun and so sealed him away.
-G'huun has corrupted and conquered the blood trolls, which the Zandalari see as bogeymen, as well as some loa like Hir'eek. Blood trolls are extremely primitive and extremely matriarchal.
-The desert Vol'dun used to be a jungle but the plantlife was devoured by aqir in the Aqir-Troll War. It is home to vulpera (fox people) and sethrak (snake people). The sethrak are a budding empire that magically spread sand wherever they go to change the environment for their comfort.
-Also tortollans are on the island.

Last edited by Asterisk; 11-05-2017 at 03:20 PM..
Old 11-05-2017, 03:30 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Kul Tiras:
  • Lady Waycrest made the pact with the drust to gain more political influence.
  • A female Waycrest (may be the lady herself or her daughter) gets accused of witchcraft. We interrupt her execution and try to prove her innocence.
  • The witches commit suicide after they've gained enough power and turn into a new kind of banshee.

Zandalar:
  • The Zandalari left Nazmir once their own people also started to worship blood gods.
  • The Zuldazar kings had a devilsaur loa, Rezan. It was also the mount of the first king. Unfortunately, Yazma stole its soul.
  • Yazma used to be a priestess of Shadra and a member of the Zanchuli Council.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:16 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
[*]The Zandalari left Nazmir once their own people also started to worship blood gods.
Do we know how long ago this was?
Old 11-05-2017, 09:29 PM

Arch-Druid

This "first king" you mention may or may not be Zulathra.

Also, there's a C'thulu temple in Stormsong.

Anyway, I theorize that Kul Tiras looks so broken because of the Cataclysm moving it around. Also, I theorize that the Zandalar we see is actually just half of what it used to be, and the Cataclysm sank the northern half.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:37 PM

Arch-Druid

I think they said in the dev commentary video the king's name was Dazar actually, so he'd be namesake of Zuldazar and Atal'Dazar. Zulathra was a high priest (which to me implies Zanchuli Council, not king) when the Zandalari allied with the mogu, which I'm pretty sure came quite a while after the Zandalari first began.

And yeah I agree Kul Tiras's big hole in the middle was Cataclysm damage. I disagree with Zandalar only being half of what there used to be though. I'd wager that the fissure through the middle of Zandalar is the same one that one of the MoP lore books mentions that divided the forum in Zuldazar and slanted Rastakhan's throne.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Do we know how long ago this was?
It wasn't mentioned.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Arch-Druid

My thread's all sticky now. We don't know where its hands have been.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:11 PM

Old 11-06-2017, 12:20 PM

Arch-Druid

Wait so the Kul Tiras witch druids are using death magic? I thought it was just a darker-looking take on life magic. That's really interesting.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Arch-Druid

Do you think the sethrak could be another aqir variation? They're not bug people, but Vol'dun where they live was turned into a desert by the aqir.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Do you think the sethrak could be another aqir variation? They're not bug people, but Vol'dun where they live was turned into a desert by the aqir.
A troll subrace that worshipped one of the many snake loa!
Old 11-09-2017, 01:39 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
A troll subrace that worshipped one of the many snake loa!
This is what I was thinking, especially after it was revealed that the desert is where the Zandalari send their criminals. The Zandalari criminals called and the snake loa answered, "moshi moshi."

-

One important thing I've noted regarding the Kul Tirans is that they're renowned sea monster hunters. I'm excited to see how they've earned that reputation.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:56 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
One important thing I've noted regarding the Kul Tirans is that they're renowned sea monster hunters. I'm excited to see how they've earned that reputation.
Same here. I envision the parts in The Wind Waker when you fight Big Octos in a whirlpool.

It's hard for me to get as excited about Kul Tiras because we know so much more about Zandalar thanks to MoP. I really want a good, long look at Tiragarde Sound.

Tags
battle for azeroth, world of warcraft