Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,273
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Alliance Flag High Elf Implementation and Integration Thread

I don’t need to see dozens of posts about high elves. Should they be playable? Should they be different from the blood elves? How? Are allied races the way to get them, or should we wait for something larger?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegrune View Post
I looked into Blizzard's heart and saw only retcons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
The continuing existence of Five Night's at Freddies is proof that there is no God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 31,947

Default

I just don't get the appeal, they'd need something to alter them, merge with dragons, lightning magic, ice


Making void elves belfs was silly
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:10 PM
Apep Apep is offline

Warden
Apep's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Posts: 727

Default

All Blizzard needs to do is make customization options for Void elves that can pass as High elves. So long as they're indistinguishable from High elves, who cares? Is it really too much a stretch of the imagination to pretend the blue-eyed Void elf is a High elf?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-11-2017, 04:00 AM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,206

Default

Quite honestly elves are the race we need the least playable sub-races and variants of, considering come B4A the number of playable elves would've doubled, outnumbering any other race by far.

Not only will there be four different types of elves, but they'll be evenly distributed between the Horde and Alliance, making sure you can't escape their presence.

No, we don't need High Elves, we never did. It's never made sense for them to make up a playable race lorewise, and shoving them into the roster will nearly be as nonsensical as trying to shove in Void Elves.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:28 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,242

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
No, we don't need High Elves, we never did.
And what races do we "need"?
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-11-2017, 07:09 AM
Aram Aram is offline

Faerie Dragon
Aram's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 143

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
And what races do we "need"?
We don't need new playable races actually, maybe just few other sub-races and it's definitely not another elves.

Last edited by Aram; 11-11-2017 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2017, 07:40 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,242

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aram View Post
We don't need new playable races actually, maybe just few other sub-races and it's definitely not another elves.
That's the thing: races are not needed. They are flavor. They help players create the character that looks like what they want. No race is "needed", the only reason we have them is to make (some) people happy. And high elves would do just that.

Of course, you may want something else, but that's just personal opinion.

You don't see people asking for murlocs, vupera or even ogres as much as you see high elf threads. There's a lot of demand for that. I bet there would be more people playing high elves than goblins, worgen, pandaren or maybe even draenei.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2017, 07:44 AM
Crazyterran Crazyterran is offline

Eternal
Crazyterran's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,803
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Default

I say we make Warcraft... pure again. Just Humans and Orcs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Gromak Gromak is offline

Eternal
Gromak's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,926

Default

I'm there with Anikin. We already have 4 different flavours of elves, we don't need another one. Especially because High Elves would add nothing that is already covered by the other elf-races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Of course, you may want something else, but that's just personal opinion.
We could very well say the same about High Elves.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Aram Aram is offline

Faerie Dragon
Aram's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 143

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
That's the thing: races are not needed. They are flavor. They help players create the character that looks like what they want. No race is "needed", the only reason we have them is to make (some) people happy. And high elves would do just that.
I mean, we already have overhelming amount of playeble races. BC and Cata was ok, but Mists was already too much, like Pandarens was really good and well-developed race, but do we need them to be playable?
Now we have sub-races and they should either brings something new and interesting or just new cool visuals, High Elf can't do any of this, so they need to be redisigned, but then they wouldn't be a High Elfs that their fans demands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
You don't see people asking for murlocs, vupera or even ogres as much as you see high elf threads. There's a lot of demand for that. I bet there would be more people playing high elves than goblins, worgen, pandaren or maybe even draenei.
I bet there would be more people playing murlocs than any race you listed. High Elves fans just vocal, like stupidly vocal most of the time, but that means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Of course, you may want something else, but that's just personal opinion.
I have gnomes, I don't need anything else

Last edited by Aram; 11-11-2017 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:25 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,242

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
I'm there with Anikin. We already have 4 different flavours of elves, we don't need another one. Especially because High Elves would add nothing that is already covered by the other elf-races.
Actually, we now have five flavors of elves, and the fifth was totally uncalled for. High elf fans would be very happy if we stayed with only four.

Quote:
We could very well say the same about High Elves.
Of course. So, how about you ask for what races you want, instead of trying to say to others what they should or shouldn't want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aram View Post
I mean, we already have overhelming amount of playeble races. BC and Cata was ok, but Mists was already too much, like Pandarens was really good and well-developed race, but do we need them to be playable?
We don't "need", but it's nice to have them. The more the merrier.

[quote]Now we have sub-races and they should either brings something new and interesting or just new cool visuals, High Elf can't do any of this, so they need to be redisigned, but then they wouldn't be a High Elfs that their fans demands.

Quote:
I bet there would be more people playing murlocs than any race you listed. High Elves fans just vocal, like stupidly vocal most of the time, but that means nothing.
Lol. "Stupidly vocal" is just a way to dismiss that people wanting high elves are fairly common. They get "stupidly vocal" because whenever the subject is brought, there's a lot of people echoing them.

The only other race that is often asked for is ogres, and it still can't be compared.

Quote:
I have gnomes, I don't need anything else
Then be happy and stop trying to police what other people want.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Aram Aram is offline

Faerie Dragon
Aram's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 143

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
The more the merrier
Nope. Game can easily become overloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Then be happy and stop trying to police what other people want.
It's cool, how you ignore the only line that really matter -- High Elves can't bring anything new to the game. That's why HE fans often look "stupidly vocal".

And you're the only one here who tells others what they should to do.

Anyway, I'm going to leave this topic and not pass through HE nonsens once again. Aalmost 10 years, I say that they will never add High Elves to Alliance, and I'm glad that I was right.

Last edited by Aram; 11-11-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,242

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aram View Post
Nope. Game can easily become overloaded
So what? Bring 30 races for all I care. If people are happy and keeps them playing and rerolling, who's losing with that? Why having options would be a bad thing?

Quote:
High Elves can't bring anything new to the game.
Says you.

Quote:
And you're the only one here who tells others what they should to do.
When did I (or we) ever do that?

I don't go to every vupera/murloc/ginyu/hozen/whatever thread just to pester people. I may say why I think it wouldn't work and leave at that, no need to keep coming back and repeating myself over and over just to bother the guys. Those threads always die out.

What bothers you is that high elf threads always return. Every year, every time an expansion is near. There's a demand to that, but you dismiss it as "stupidly vocal".

Anti-high elf people are as vocal and annoying, if not more, than high elf fans. Half of such threads are the same "anti-" people insisting in the same old tired arguments.

"High elves are blood elves". False. Even a NPC like Elisande knows the difference is not just eye color.
"They'd use the same model as blood elves". Uh... void elves?
"There's no population, no capital, no lands." So what? Void elves have such a big population, uh? And having capital or lands hasn't been a necessity since Cata, all you need is a story, and high elves have plenty of that.
"They bring nothing new". Maybe you lack imagination. Or maybe people want traditional things. What's wrong with that?
"Everyone and their mother will race change to high elves". So, they are not a vocal minority anymore, uh?

If you didn't bother so much, most of the threads would die out naturally. It's as if it was forbidden to express wants and desires if you don't agree with them.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm going to leave this topic and not pass through HE nonsens once again.
Good for everyone, specially you.

Quote:
Aalmost 10 years, I say that they will never add High Elves to Alliance, and I'm glad that I was right.
People also used to say the same race wouldn't be available to both factions. That you couldn't create toons on both factions in a PvP server. That Blizzard would never do a vanilla server. Heck, two weeks ago there were people denying "subraces" or that nightborne would go Horde.

I think there were people denying the nightborne or highmountain by saying they brought "nothing new" to the game as well... hmmm...

Every single "anti-high elf" argument would apply to void elves, and yet there they are.

So, yeah, the threads will keep appearing. Every year, in every forum. Because there's demand. If that bothers you, it's better to stay away from them.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Falarson Falarson is offline

Arch-Druid
Falarson's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Asuncin, Paraguay
Posts: 1,963
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

Default

I've liked the High Elves ever since WC2, just for the Tolkien-esque flavor. It was cool to see them sided with the Alliance and, as silly as it might sound, I've always associated them with the color blue. I've learn to like Blood Elves as well, but to many that's not the impression that really struck us at first sight.

I'll always remember the High Elves as an ally to the human kingdoms and partners in the Troll Wars. Even the Zul'Aman trailer kinda makes me wanna see both races working together again (spoilers: they still do, constanly. Only player characters can't).

So yeah. If they wanted to keep the desire of High Elves off Alliance players they should've made it so ALL of them went Horde or something, but that's not the case, and as long as it makes sense within the boundaries of the game world I think there will be some that want to embody that old idea of the noble elves that fought alongside the humans for generations.
__________________

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Menel'dirion Menel'dirion is offline

Arch-Druid
Menel'dirion's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)
Posts: 2,233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I just don't get the appeal, they'd need something to alter them, merge with dragons, lightning magic, ice


Making void elves belfs was silly
I somewhat disagree, but it’s not a hill I’d want to die on. Void Elves very much remind me of the TFT Blood Elves: dark and edgy, and yet Alliance. Given how Liadrin is steadily pulling Blood Elves towards the Light, these are very much what Blood Elves used to be. They probably are going to pull Blood Elf Players (like me) back towards the Alliance more so than give Alliance High Elf fans what they want.

On the other hand, their Sin’dorei origins are probably the easiest and most likely part to change, seeing as how it’s really just a quest line. If it were me, I’d just make it a group of High Elven refugees/guerrillas who have been quietly holding out/hiding in the Ghostlands, and who have been getting desperate. I’d also change the name to either Grey Elves or Ghost Elves. Void Elves is a little too much on the nose.

That said I don’t think their relationship with the void is negotiable at this point. Alleria’s transformation built up to this.

And Deicide, you are right, these guys are wholly new, but I wouldn’t call them out of nowhere. This is just the next stage in Elven Evolution. You see the thing is, High Elves and Blood Elves really aren’t a different race. It’s a different ideology to be sure, you could easily argue a different culture, but genetically speaking they are the same. Void Elves seem to be something......... more.

The question now is if there’s room for one more playable species of Elf. Personally, I think we might have 1 to many. I’m wondering if we might not see Night Elves (and maybe the Nightborne with them) slowly die out.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,242

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And Deicide, you are right, these guys are wholly new, but I wouldn’t call them out of nowhere. This is just the next stage in Elven Evolution. You see the thing is, High Elves and Blood Elves really aren’t a different race. It’s a different ideology to be sure, you could easily argue a different culture, but genetically speaking they are the same. Void Elves seem to be something......... more.
My opinion could have been different if the void elves had already made their debut in lore and developed on their own, like Blizzard did with the nightborne. Right now, they feel like a forced addition, some "rule of cool" race without a proper background. I may review my opinion once I have played their introduction and seen on how customizable they may be.

Quote:
The question now is if there’s room for one more playable species of Elf. Personally, I think we might have 1 to many. I’m wondering if we might not see Night Elves (and maybe the Nightborne with them) slowly die out.
There is one elf type too many. But if they are going to kill off one type, it will be the high elves (after all, they are not playable). If they do that, however, I'll be very pissed.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-11-2017, 10:01 PM
Nefias Nefias is offline

Glaive Thrower
Nefias's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 58

Default

Void Elves are like Alliance being given High Elves only in Corrupt-a-wish form.

What they really should do is make High Elves playable but give them blue eyes, different hair styles, a different voice, and a different (less cocky) stance.

And there you go.

As for lore, just say that high elves have begun to become more cohesive with eachother after the restoration of the Sunwell and the different threats Azeroth has faced in recent years.

The population argument is dead in the water when void elves 'make sense' on that front to Blizzard somehow.

I don't really understand the resistance to it at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-12-2017, 05:00 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,242

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
From an interview with WoWChakra:

-The Artifact Weapon sendoff will take place just before the expansion.
-There are some preliminary requirements to starting the quest chains for Allied races - such as getting exalted with highmountain tauren before you can proceed.
-There might be some story for the Void Elves in 7.3.5.
-The team is hoping to start beta early next year.
-The goal is to have Battle for Azeroth launch before the end of 2018.


So no allied races in 7.3.5 and likely a year of Antorus. =(
"Might be some story for the Velves in 7.3.5?"
"Might"?

My impression is that void elves will have a half-assed story in a short storyline, then will be forgotten for years.

I really doubt Battle for Azeroth will give any attention to allied races besides Zandalar (a lot) and Dark Iron (a little).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefias View Post
Void Elves are like Alliance being given High Elves only in Corrupt-a-wish form.

What they really should do is make High Elves playable but give them blue eyes, different hair styles, a different voice, and a different (less cocky) stance.

And there you go.

As for lore, just say that high elves have begun to become more cohesive with eachother after the restoration of the Sunwell and the different threats Azeroth has faced in recent years.

The population argument is dead in the water when void elves 'make sense' on that front to Blizzard somehow.

I don't really understand the resistance to it at this point.
- Give them blood elf model with imported night elf animations. Eyes that don't glow, but have very bright noticiable colors (can change color between blue, silver and violet), different skin tones (the darkest colors around the lightest of the blood elves), different hair colors (high elves in game often have a light blue hair color not available to non-DK blood elves, for instance). Body paint option (like Alleria, or WC2's upgraded rangers), with green, blue, violet variations.

- The Silver Covenant leaves Dalaran because they can't trust the Horde, and another Horde treason against the city could be the doom of their entire people.

- They settle in Seradane, making a small town there and getting closer to the Highvale elves and Wildhammer dwarves.

- This new settlement also attracts more high elves that have been living in human lands.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 11-12-2017 at 05:13 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,242

Default

Can I double post if it's one day apart from last post and I have new info?

Hope this is not against the rules...

---------------------------------

Here's an interesting speculation, from Teerack in the MMO-C forums:

Quote:
So i saw this on the front page.
Quote:
There might be some story for the Void Elves in 7.3.5.
And it got me thinking about how that might go down. The i started thinking about the various voice acted conversations you can listen to on the Vindicaar and they all have relevance to the lore of BFA.

There is just one that caught my eye since its the only one that doesn't seem to mean anything for the lore for BAF.
Quote:
<Aethas seems to be bothered by something.>

Gossip <Stay awhile and listen.>
Aethas Sunreaver says: I have never seen anything like this place, Khadgar. The powers at play here...
Archmage Khadgar says: I know, archmage. It can be... overwhelming at times. Difficult to focus.
Aethas Sunreaver says: I confess I am relieved to hear you say that. I feared I was the only one experiencing such sensations.
Archmage Khadgar says: Nonsense. We are in the presence of primal powers that shaped the very cosmos. The fact that you feel the tug of their influence is not a sign of weakness. It shows that you are highly attuned to them.
Aethas Sunreaver says: Then I shall relish the experience while I have it. Thank you for your counsel, Khadgar.
It was reported by the red shirt guy on his twitter.
Quote:
The Void Elves aren't high elves, they're blood elves that were kicked out of Silvermoon and decided to rejoin the Alliance, as well.
So just combined the information here and i think that maybe this is meant to be foreshadowing Aethas Sunreavers dabbling in the void and maybe even the majority of the Sunreavers doing it and that leads to them being kicked from Silver Moon by Lor'Themar and then eventually being recruited by Aleria into the alliance.
What do you think? I don't expect Aethas to turn sides, but if there's one blood elf that has been constantly being accused of not being "blood elf" enough, it's him. Also, that dialog does seem purposeless right now, unlike all other triggered dialogs in Vindicaar.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Marthen's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Far, far away...
Posts: 4,534

Default

I expect the Void Elves to be the same wave of exiles Ranger Lord Hawkspear's elves were, but sure, anything is possible.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 PM
Tilgath Tilgath is offline

Eternal
Tilgath's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,607

Default

I guess it can be Aethas and a group he leads, though I'm not sure if blizz would be willing to have the leader of a Horde rep faction switch sides to the Alliance.

This just makes my problem with them even more stark, though. I'm not interested in playing as characters who for years have been Horde and have been trying to kill my Alliance characters. I'm especially not interested in having Aethas come over. It was bad enough that my mage had to help him get the Sunrevers back into Dalaran, but then I had to help him cover up the fact that one of his Sunreavers betrayed Dalaran AGAIN. I absolutely do not want that idiot in the Alliance. Especially since it wouldn't be because he chose to leave the Horde and join up, but because he was kicked out for being worse than the normal Blood Elf fel addicts.

I'll repeat here the plea I made on the official forums: pls gib High Elves blizz.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-15-2017, 07:34 PM
MyWholeLifeIsThunder MyWholeLifeIsThunder is offline

Druid of the Talon
MyWholeLifeIsThunder's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 77

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I expect the Void Elves to be the same wave of exiles Ranger Lord Hawkspear's elves were, but sure, anything is possible.

That's an interesting concept right there; It would have been rather interesting seeing Hawkspear trying to "revert" the afflicted elves of Quel'Lithien trough some void magic source. Makes me wonder it would have been a cool concept to have the "wretched" rehabilitated through the void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
"Might be some story for the Velves in 7.3.5?"
"Might"?

My impression is that void elves will have a half-assed story in a short storyline, then will be forgotten for years.

I really doubt Battle for Azeroth will give any attention to allied races besides Zandalar (a lot) and Dark Iron (a little).



- Give them blood elf model with imported night elf animations. Eyes that don't glow, but have very bright noticiable colors (can change color between blue, silver and violet), different skin tones (the darkest colors around the lightest of the blood elves), different hair colors (high elves in game often have a light blue hair color not available to non-DK blood elves, for instance). Body paint option (like Alleria, or WC2's upgraded rangers), with green, blue, violet variations.

- The Silver Covenant leaves Dalaran because they can't trust the Horde, and another Horde treason against the city could be the doom of their entire people.

- They settle in Seradane, making a small town there and getting closer to the Highvale elves and Wildhammer dwarves.

- This new settlement also attracts more high elves that have been living in human lands.
While I pretty much agree with you everywhere about mostly everything, the notion that high elves would have the "lightest skin tones" really doesn't sit well with me. At the most harmless is that tolkienesque vestige of how elves should look like, but there's nothing in the lore that say high elves would be fair skinned, even more than blood elves.

And yet this is an in game issue, because that's exactly what happens with the npc skins for high elves, they are all very pale. And this is an issue with wow overall that goes deeper into fantasy tropes... Alas, I really wish that blizz started doing better at that, but that's not here nor there.

Personally I'd give every race just a wider skin tone palette, yet independent to that, perhaps I'd give High Elves cooler/duller/ashier shades, contrasting to the tans/goldens/warmer colors of the blood elves. That to show their contrast, and a way to visibly portray their separation from Quel'thalas and the Sunwell: Even if they are still connected to it, the physical distance is still noticeable, playing a bit more literal on the Sunwell thing.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-16-2017, 02:42 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Marthen's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Far, far away...
Posts: 4,534

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
That's an interesting concept right there; It would have been rather interesting seeing Hawkspear trying to "revert" the afflicted elves of Quel'Lithien trough some void magic source. Makes me wonder it would have been a cool concept to have the "wretched" rehabilitated through the void.
I did not mean Hawkspear’s group necessarily, remember, there were many elves exiled for refusing Rommath’s teachings.

Let’s look at a potential scenario (as in an extremely hypothetical scenario meant to illustrate what I am talking about). We know that when Rommath arrives, many of the blood elves refuse his teachings, as they do not want to siphon magic from living beings and items directly, preferring to soothe the withdrawal effects. In turn, they are exiled by Theron, a Regent Lord who does not want to rule the nation divided, having to leave Quel’Thalas. As there are too many of them and the lands south are ravaged, these elves splinter into many groups (and many, in spite of Kael and Theron, reassume the name high elves). One of those settles somewhere in northeastern Lordaeron, their situation not unlike that in Quel’Lithien. They have to scrape a living, barely gathering enough resources to survive, searching for magical items that would soothe the effects of their withdrawal. Until one day, they find an artifact so powerful it could endure for years. What they do not know is that it is an ancient relic from the times of the Black Empire, lost in the north towards the end of the Aqir and Troll War. Soon, strange whispers start clouding their thoughts, just as happened to their kin in Tirisfal ages past…

Last edited by Marthen; 11-16-2017 at 03:01 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-16-2017, 04:36 AM
Cacofonix Cacofonix is offline

Owl Scout
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
I somewhat disagree, but it’s not a hill I’d want to die on. Void Elves very much remind me of the TFT Blood Elves: dark and edgy, and yet Alliance. Given how Liadrin is steadily pulling Blood Elves towards the Light, these are very much what Blood Elves used to be. They probably are going to pull Blood Elf Players (like me) back towards the Alliance more so than give Alliance High Elf fans what they want.
They do look like Old Blood Elves don't they? Really makes you notice how hard they changed from TFT to now...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-16-2017, 07:01 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,242

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
While I pretty much agree with you everywhere about mostly everything, the notion that high elves would have the "lightest skin tones" really doesn't sit well with me. At the most harmless is that tolkienesque vestige of how elves should look like, but there's nothing in the lore that say high elves would be fair skinned, even more than blood elves.

And yet this is an in game issue, because that's exactly what happens with the npc skins for high elves, they are all very pale. And this is an issue with wow overall that goes deeper into fantasy tropes... Alas, I really wish that blizz started doing better at that, but that's not here nor there.
I'm sticking with what's in lore. While it does not say outright that high elves are paler, they are portrayed as paler. Like highborne night elves are usually portrayed in-game with white skin and silver hair, so we usually associate them with paler skin.

I wouldn't mind having other skin colors, but whenever I'm talking about them I try to stick to what is known and commonly accepted about them.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
knife-ears, world of warcraft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.