Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Okay then, just know that I'm still willing to make a new thread on this if you feel the need to later.

There are several issues I see as limitations, the first being plate armor can only have the appearance of another plate armor. So let's say if a warrior wants to run around in the Scarlet Crusade armor and be effective, it's not going to happen since some of its pieces are mail. Furthermore, this restriction was put in because Blizzard doesn't want people being difficult to distinguish, but looking like pirates, ninjas, or skeletons have been fine since vanilla.

There is also the personal issue of me wanting my character to be a topless badass. That won't happen either through this method of customization.

As far as weapons go, the article didn't mention anything about whether or not I can transmogrify different weapon types such as swords to axe, as long as they are both 2h or 1h. If not, then I won't be able to use my Pigsticker. So there goes two of the three customization options I want on my main, the third being going without shoulder armors.

And then I have to pay for it. This is the same problem I had with dual spec, paying for something that should have just been an UI feature that is meant to improve gameplay.

In comparison, AoC, has an appearance tab that allows players to use any armor they have without charging game currencies, anywhere in the world. Instead of having to visit an NPC and pay a fee.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:55 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
No, go deeper than that. Limited how? And if you don't like paying virtual gold for virtual goods, then I don't think you appreciate how the RPG genre or game design works.
Obviously, it's meant to be a vanity gold sink.

And I'm fine with that.

I think what it will also do is compel the art department at Blizzard to get off their asses and design cooler gear, because when everything they make is re-skinned to look like something someone else made 5 years ago, it's got to be kind of embarrassing.

Honestly, it's a damned shame that some of the great armor and weapon models of the past were made obsolete and useless in the first place - they deserve a chance to have new life, and I'm completely cool with it.

I really hope it works on heirlooms.

And I think from a role-play standpoint, it just kicks ass. You can have your character carry the same sword and shield indefinitely; simply upgrade its stats when you get a better drop. It will go a long way I think to making each character have a more unique and easily identifiable look.

I mean, I know my warrior will be the guy rolling around with his Tankatronic Goggles, King's Defender, Level 60 PVP shoulders, and the Royal Crest of Lordaeron.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:02 PM

World Builder

Runes

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
As far as weapons go, the article didn't mention anything about whether or not I can transmogrify different weapon types such as swords to axe, as long as they are both 2h or 1h. If not, then I won't be able to use my Pigsticker. So there goes two of the three customization options I want on my main, the third being going without shoulder armors.

And then I have to pay for it. This is the same problem I had with dual spec, paying for something that should have just been an UI feature that is meant to improve gameplay.

"Similarly, they won’t allow you to change weapon or armor types. Sneaky death knights can’t make that breastplate look like a cloth robe, and you can’t make a one-handed axe look like a two-handed axe, or transform a sword’s appearance into that of a mace."

Dunno what you've read but the article is pretty clear on that.

And paying a nominal fee to make your set look like something else is sooooo expensive these days in WoW, amirite?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:15 PM

World Builder

Runes

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM

Ranger

I do believe I will be sporting the fabulous Purple Tier 2 set on my Paladin

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Foppish/simple

http://www.wowhead.com/item=27748#screenshots:id=67536

And my DK will be sporting:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=10845
(lol it covers the most vital spots!)

Along with some other interesting DK type gear that I farmed up a while back (ToC, Strat, Scholo) or kept from the starter area.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Lauriel/simple

Finally all the countless hours I've spent looking at WOW Modelviewer, composing outfits, and farming lowbie gear will have paid off! Then again, it was mostly at the end of Wrath during the long stretch after ICC till Cata, so it wasn't really time wasted.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM

Arch-Druid

I must have missed the part about weapon appearances then. So basically, I won't be able to use my Pigsticker again, nothing's changed.

Oh yeah, ranged weapons are excluded from this restriction. This is ridiculous.

And it's not the fee that I have a problem with, it's with Blizzards inclination to stick with outdated design philosophies where everything has to be a time sink or money sink, and not just purely for fun.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Okay then, just know that I'm still willing to make a new thread on this if you feel the need to later.

There are several issues I see as limitations, the first being plate armor can only have the appearance of another plate armor. So let's say if a warrior wants to run around in the Scarlet Crusade armor and be effective, it's not going to happen since some of its pieces are mail. Furthermore, this restriction was put in because Blizzard doesn't want people being difficult to distinguish, but looking like pirates, ninjas, or skeletons have been fine since vanilla.
The concept is in it's early stages. Of course there are going to changes to it as time goes on, just look at how the Real ID dungeon tool changed after customer feedback.

And yeah, in your example a LV41+ tank won't be able to use the Scarlet armour because it's Mail and not Plate. A technicality. An oversight. But that is more the fault of the seven-year old item set than the system. And who's to say Blizzard won't change it to allow Warriors and Paladins to transmogrify gear that was once mainstream for them? Blizzard are gathering feedback right now, so go explain that to Blizzard instead of just saying "fuck Blizzard".

Quote:

There is also the personal issue of me wanting my character to be a topless badass. That won't happen either through this method of customization.
Boom, problem solved: http://www.wowhead.com/item=59253. And if that isn't good enough, just take off your chestplate?

Quote:
Umm ... that's just not true. This is taken straight from the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard

Similarly, they won’t allow you to change weapon or armor types. Sneaky death knights can’t make that breastplate look like a cloth robe, and you can’t make a one-handed axe look like a two-handed axe, or transform a sword’s appearance into that of a mace. Guns, bows, and crossbows will be the exception to this rule. You will finally be able to retain your dwarf’s racial gun bonus while appearing with all the splendor and elegance of a bow wielder (or at least the relative silence of one).
Quote:

In comparison, AoC, has an appearance tab that allows players to use any armor they have without charging game currencies, anywhere in the world. Instead of having to visit an NPC and pay a fee.
Transmogrification is not an appearance tab. They have the same function, but they are not the same so that method doesn't apply here. And if we're going to pick and choose features we like from different MMOs ... okay. In Age of Conan, you buy heirlooms with real money "Funcom" points. In WoW, I only have to spend JP.

And really, you're complaining that it costs gold? The same gold that dilutes almost every single part of the game? Did you call barber shops or respecs a terrible idea because they cost a couple of gold? Bottom line is that transmogrification is a good idea that needs a few adjustments.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

One complaint that I have is that plate and chain are not interchangeable. I think that every class that transitions between two armor types should be able to use the previous one as well. So Warrior, Paladin, Shaman, and Hunter.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
And who's to say Blizzard won't change it to allow Warriors and Paladins to transmogrify gear that was once mainstream for them?
About the only change I would actually endorse to the present system, because while I'm saddened about the Legendary restriction, I ultimately understand. But this? Yeah, this I support.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Sha of Disappointment

They allready said they want to push it out as soon as possible and upgrade it's possibilities down the line. I don't have any problem with that besides probably having to wait three to four months for it. Plate to plate? That's fair. Possibly plate to everything in the future once they have more time to work on it? awesome. Better than what we have now? Yessir. Costs gold? I know people with 70k without even TRYING. Also, how many slots are important for that, really? Head, Shoulders, Pants, boots and weapons. That's the bare basics if you REALLY want to be cheap. But let me tell you, bub, if they stick with "slightly more costy than reforging" than it'll be a hell of a lot more expensive to rep after a whipe-full raid than to transmorph a decent set of armor into something worth looking at. Also, as said before, this isn't even alpha, beta nor ptr yet. It's just announced. You got stuff to say about it? Take it to their forums. They'll gladly take your say as i'm sure they have indeed overlooked the issue of armor type transition in their plans.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Arch-Druid

Heh, preemptive complaint. With the case of real ID, it was more of a community backlash than feedback. If it had simply been feedback it'd be more likely that nothing would have changed. Not enough people are complaining hard enough for Blizzard to want to do anything about it.

The restriction also extends beyond old sets. What about hunters that want to wear hoods to look like a ranger, or rogues that want to to the same for an assassin vibe? Speaking of which, the invisible vest is a leather armor and can't be transmogrified into plate for plate class. Taking the armor off as a solution is not any different than now where players are confined in cities at the cost of customization.

As far as AoC goes, I was only pointing out that a crap game like that can have a better customization option, while WoW is still dicking with a limited system. Their methods are better, while transmogrification is a half assed attempt to please all the people who have spent time and effort putting in input in several threads, and it's insulting.

Last edited by TerrorhoofMayo; 08-17-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Old 08-17-2011, 05:13 PM

Arch-Druid

Don't forget about Armageddon, the most badass sword around!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
I must have missed the part about weapon appearances then. So basically, I won't be able to use my Pigsticker again, nothing's changed.

Oh yeah, ranged weapons are excluded from this restriction. This is ridiculous.

And it's not the fee that I have a problem with, it's with Blizzards inclination to stick with outdated design philosophies where everything has to be a time sink or money sink, and not just purely for fun.
Oh give me a break, like the 10 gold per item it probably will be will break you. Even if its 200 gold per item that's nothing.

Anyway the problem I'd see going for a T2 set like Judgment would be the fact that T1/T2 drop rates are uhhhh....not so nice to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrRotalHenricsson View Post
They allready said they want to push it out as soon as possible and upgrade it's possibilities down the line. I don't have any problem with that besides probably having to wait three to four months for it. Plate to plate? That's fair. Possibly plate to everything in the future once they have more time to work on it? awesome. Better than what we have now? Yessir. Costs gold? I know people with 70k without even TRYING. Also, how many slots are important for that, really? Head, Shoulders, Pants, boots and weapons. That's the bare basics if you REALLY want to be cheap. But let me tell you, bub, if they stick with "slightly more costy than reforging" than it'll be a hell of a lot more expensive to rep after a whipe-full raid than to transmorph a decent set of armor into something worth looking at. Also, as said before, this isn't even alpha, beta nor ptr yet. It's just announced. You got stuff to say about it? Take it to their forums. They'll gladly take your say as i'm sure they have indeed overlooked the issue of armor type transition in their plans.
Honestly the plate can only be plate thing is likely more due to design philosophies rather than just a limitation they wanted. They probably still prefer you to be able to somewhat tell what the class is from a distance rather than have a warrior run up to you in robes and suddenly whipping out 2 swords.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Arch-Druid

I never said gold was an issue.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I predict a thousand clothies trying to look sexy with the sex to be using this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-17-2011, 07:12 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I'm probably going to get the pieces that make up Thassarian's armor when he was in Icecrown.

(Minus the dual 2hand swords, heh)

Matches excellently with the Gilneas tabard.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

I'm debating if it's worth trying to convince people to get Tier 2 with me.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: IliyaM#1840

Dallanna the Elder has Judged you and you have been found wanting and in Judgement you shall pay!

I am Dallanna Stoneweaver, Destroyer of Threads, Logic, and Lawns.

Tip for writers: The "Rule of Cool" does not a good story make!

Dorf R 4 Fite!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garotar View Post
I'm debating if it's worth trying to convince people to get Tier 2 with me.
I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard. It shouldn't be that hard to clear that stuff anyway nowadays, right?

Anyway, for myself, I'm settling on Lasherweave for my druid. I know others hated it, but I loved the set. It always exuded a sort of...malicious wildgrowth to me.

I'm putting together the recolored Judgment for my draenei paladin, too. I mean, I like the red/gold original, no question (and probably will get it anyway) but the purple recolor seems a bit more suitably draeneic, y'know?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard. It shouldn't be that hard to clear that stuff anyway nowadays, right?
It's more of a "How many times will I need to convince them to do this" and less the difficulty.

Unless Blizzard changed the drop rates, which I doubt.

But I've always loved the Tier 2 shaman, so I probably should.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garotar View Post
It's more of a "How many times will I need to convince them to do this" and less the difficulty.

Unless Blizzard changed the drop rates, which I doubt.

But I've always loved the Tier 2 shaman, so I probably should.
Ahh, gotcha. Yeah that's true...

Lucky for me my pet tank is currently obsessed with getting the mats for Sulfuras so he's happy to run it as often as possible (and as I'm his pet healer, with promises to heal whatever WotLK raid he wants to run later, he'll do what I want first).

Good luck
Old 08-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post

I predict a thousand clothies trying to look sexy with the sex to be using this.
And they'll succeed.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

If you're a leather wearer and want to go around topless (I'm guessing demon hunter?) you should really check out this shirt.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=59253

Of course I'm fucked since my main RP gear was the original Robes of Arugal, a cloth robe, on my druid. I've compromised by combining a kilt with the Cadaverous set from Strath but it's not the same.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Here is how my DK will look, IF blizzard restores my Acherus Knight's Legplates.

Tags
i'm fabulous dahling, vanity, world of warcraft