Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Overwatch Discussion

Old 11-03-2017, 12:56 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default New Hero Moira and the Reinhardt Short

Well I gotta say, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Moira's skins, wasn't expecting a Irish villain really, but I'm glad we are getting more Talon members. I'm glad they didn't Irish stereotype her up on the base skin. It's good to have another damage dealing mobility support as well in the roster. One of the biggest downsides about her announcement though is unlike the last few heroes it didn't come along with an Animated sort of any kind. Hopefully we get one just before her launch or something.

The Reinhardt short was one of the weakest ones, but it picked up at the end.

The Blizzardland map thing was so weird and awkward, I thought they were legitimately announcing them actually doing that thing... even through the trailer I didn't clue into it. It's just so... left field. I'm not sure I like them making a map not really "in" the Overwatch world. It effects nothing obviously nor is it particularly weird for Overwatch to do non cannon stuff since the entire game exists in non cannon... but theres a certain oddness about it I just can't say I like.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 11-03-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Old 11-06-2017, 02:36 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post

The Blizzardland map thing was so weird and awkward, I thought they were legitimately announcing them actually doing that thing... even through the trailer I didn't clue into it. It's just so... left field. I'm not sure I like them making a map not really "in" the Overwatch world. It effects nothing obviously nor is it particularly weird for Overwatch to do non cannon stuff since the entire game exists in non cannon... but theres a certain oddness about it I just can't say I like.
They've talked about Blizzard World since the Blizzcon where Overwatch was announced. Originally it was called "Blizzney Land." Also I'm not sure it's non-canon, given that D.Va is canonically a Starcraft streamer.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:13 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
They've talked about Blizzard World since the Blizzcon where Overwatch was announced. Originally it was called "Blizzney Land." Also I'm not sure it's non-canon, given that D.Va is canonically a Starcraft streamer.
From the original cinematic trailer where a security guard was playing Hearthstone, up until D.va's reveal where her mech has Blizzard's logo on it, we knew that Blizzard existed in the world where Overwatch takes places. Since that world is intended to be the Earth of the future, it makes sense that Blizzard, a game studio on Earth, would also be there.

That being said, I can see some people reacting differently to Blizzard making something to overtly self-referential as a theme park about their own properties.

For me, acknowledging that Team 4 may have kept BlizzardWorld under wraps for awhile and then revealed it (internally, prior to BlizzCon, for testing purposes) as a love letter to their fellow teams is what keeps me from thinking of it as too self-congratulatory. It's Team 4 paying tribute to the games they worked on before they started Titan/Overwatch, and/or games that have become a part of the same family since.

So my take is "this is pretty cool." YMMV, ofc.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.

Tags
blizzard tf2, heroes