Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you choose a race to play mostly based on the appearance or the lore?
Appearance. 9 18.00%
Lore. 30 60.00%
Depends. (Please elaborate.) 9 18.00%
Other reasons. (Please elaborate.) 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Hmm, out of the five you mentioned I'd relegate vrykul and naga to the less likely list. Both have distinctive traits (their height or lack of feet) which would have to be changed in order to make them playable, taking away most of their charm.

Instead, I'd add Drakonids/Saurok/Lizardmen and Mogu. Both are or were somewhat popular races, have two legs and don't lose any charm even at reduced sizes.

Unless I remember other likely candidates, my list would be the following:
  • Ogres
  • Arakkoa
  • Mogu
  • Ethereals
  • Drakonids/Saurok/Lizardmen

While Ethereals are popular enough to warrant an higher spot, I think that they're less likely than the three races above them simply due to the fact that they might be difficult to design.

Honourable mentions:
Satyr, Saberon, Gnolls and Light Dreadlords. I didn't add them to the list because I think that they're not popular enough, lack a culture or ought to be too rare to be made playable.

However, Blizzard already surprised us when they made a race that had even less culture than the Saberon into one of the classiest, so who knows? We might yet see playable Saberon.

Last edited by Nazja; Yesterday at 07:02 AM..
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Given their current relevance, I think jinyu, saurok and hozen fall on the same category of lesser races like gnolls and furbolg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterius View Post
Nah. We're the Good Scourge. The Ebon Blade is at least raising dead people into unholy mockeries of life so they can go kick demon ass, as opposed to Sylvanas "I need to create a bunch of meat shields to protect me because otherwise I might suffer consequences for my actions" Windrunner.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Given their current relevance, I think jinyu, saurok and hozen fall on the same category of lesser races like gnolls and furbolg.
True, but we've already had one instance of a "mongrel" race being elevated to playable status, so it's not unprecedented.

Looking at the way Virmen were portrayed in Hearthstone, even they wouldn't be completely surprising as a playable race. They (as seen in Hearthstone) are not only intelligent but also cultured enough, and they don't look bad in pants. Can't really say the same about Murlocs, who look dreadful when wearing pants.
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
True, but we've already had one instance of a "mongrel" race being elevated to playable status, so it's not unprecedented.
Different situations. We can consider the Worgen case a quasi-form of fanservice, because of the big popular demand over the race. I see similar demand regarding the Ethereals and the Arakkoa, but not Jinyu or Saurok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterius View Post
Nah. We're the Good Scourge. The Ebon Blade is at least raising dead people into unholy mockeries of life so they can go kick demon ass, as opposed to Sylvanas "I need to create a bunch of meat shields to protect me because otherwise I might suffer consequences for my actions" Windrunner.
Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
I'd actually say Furbolg have been more requested than those other races, which puts them at a bit of a higher status. (Though not by that much.)

I think part of that is helped by the RPG giving them some lore background and before BC there actually were some ideas floating around by players on how they should be playable.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Furbolg_ideas

Quote:
Different situations. We can consider the Worgen case a quasi-form of fanservice, because of the big popular demand over the race. I see similar demand regarding the Ethereals and the Arakkoa, but not Jinyu or Saurok.
Which is ironic since Worgen are not what I'd consider a popularly played race, they're even under Orcs, Tauren, and Undead in overall player pop.

But this still holds up, whatever race has the most player requests and gets the most ideas spawned from players on the plausibility of it being playable are what I'd consider factors for a new race to be likely.

That does also, however, lead me to asking if others here think races that are made playable through Ascended Fanon is a good thing. Personally, I don't mind if the race concept itself is cool.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ain.SureWhyNot

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; Yesterday at 08:46 AM..
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Saurok actually seem to have a compelling reason to be playable, namely they're a great race to have culture growth with. You're really fighting to prove that you're not just a valid member of a faction, but even a valid species at all. Imagine the horror of knowing that you're not a "chosen" race, but specifically bred by a god's underlings as slave labor.

Jinyu are too bland from a story growth standpoint. They have their ways and they stick to them. Breaking out from that culture wouldn't feel all that special because it was already played through in the Night Elves.

Ethereals, as biased as I am towards them, have that same issue. Their raison d'etre is mostly that they're refugees (vs. Draenei) fighting a horrifying universal force (vs. Legion) that corrupts them (vs. Sargeras) and are now thrifty nomadic traders (vs. Goblins). Seeing them as a major NPC group would be amazing, but from a story standpoint they're just not going to go anywhere after they help/hurt the cause against the Void Lords.

Maybe if there was time to explore other worlds beyond Azeroth, I could see Ethereals becoming a PC group, but the current story bent just doesn't give them the driving force necessary for us to jump inside it. We'd need either major external lore additions we never see directly or retcons to do it right.

The Mad Admin
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Saurok actually seem to have a compelling reason to be playable, namely they're a great race to have culture growth with. You're really fighting to prove that you're not just a valid member of a faction, but even a valid species at all. Imagine the horror of knowing that you're not a "chosen" race, but specifically bred by a god's underlings as slave labor.
Which, and this might just be me being a broken record, would make them a great fit with the Horde's sub-theme of self-determination/emancipation: The Orcs broke from the Legion, the Forsaken broke from the Scourge, the Blood Elves killed their prince for selling them out to the Legion, the Goblins... are kind of an outlier in that they were enslaved, stopped being enslaved and then still let their slavemaster run the show, but still.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

WarCraft 3 B.net Eyeball

Quote:
True, and I completely agree that Jinyu probably won't be made playable anytime soon. As far as I am aware, the only appeal to niche groups and aren't too compelling to start with. I'd rather have murlocs than their version of night elves, thank you very much.

Saurok, on the other hand, I wouldn't discount as quickly. Dragon-/lizard-like races have been popular since vanilla, and as Cantus mentioned, they have a compelling backstory and narrative hooks.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Arch-Druid

High. Elves.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
High. Elves.
Speaking of high elves, am I the only one who thought "these elves look Dutch" when first seeing Quel'Thalas in WC3? Their houses kinda look Frisian, imo.
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

World Builder

Quote:
High. Elves.
We have enough elves as is.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Speaking of high elves, am I the only one who thought "these elves look Dutch" when first seeing Quel'Thalas in WC3? Their houses kinda look Frisian, imo.
Totally. I'm glad they changed it out for tBC, it felt tacked on to keep a "human" feel to the architecture between campaigns. The new look is much more "intrinsically magical" in scope/feel. Wouldn't be a bad thing to see more High Elf villages though. It's the variety that keeps human buildings feeling alive, and without that homesteader vibe in the Elves it makes everything feel a little too magical past Quel'thalas' borders.

The Mad Admin
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
High. Elves.
My vote is on two more elf races. It's a win-win deal for Blizzard. They add something popular that will change the race demographic among players and that will also lessen some of the complaint they keep on getting each and every year.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Elune

All this talk of Saurok and Jinyu, and nothing said for Hozen....

You wikkets are really dookin my jimmies.
Why would I want to play some cunt in a dress with hands softer than a baby's belly when I can be a hulking motherfucker wearing spiked pauldrons the size of your mother's sweet ass and a loincloth that barely conceals the massive erection I'm rocking?
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post

Hozen had nice potential but they're just a bit too much of a joke race imo, at least the horde ones were, *sigh*

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post

Hozen have actually seemed to be well-received by the overall Warcraft community, probably even moreso than Jinyu who arguably just weren't very interesting when introduced. (Although I liked certain cultural concepts they had such as watersmithing.)

Saurok are cool by virtue of being literal dinosaur-humanoids but I think their potential is already out the window due to the fact that they're just a disposable mob race that don't seem to think beyond the will of the Mogu. They're like Saberon where they're humanoid but they're treated like animals.