Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 03-26-2018, 12:45 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I don't think trying to explain things with science will work in a universe in which you can breathe in space and gravity is often neglected.

The two most likely explanations for the larger kul tirans are drust lineage or a particular kul tiran tradition to raise some of their people under special circunstances. Both are kinda flawed, thought, since we see normal and big humans side by side everywhere in kul tiras, instead of the larger ones being part of a separate ethnic group.
I don't think that saying the humans are a species that comes in a large variety of shapes and sizes is really trying to explain things with science.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:01 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I don't think that saying the humans are a species that comes in a large variety of shapes and sizes is really trying to explain things with science.
I'm just talking about the later island dwarfism vs. island gigantism talk. It feels needlessly complicated.

Of course humans come in a large variety of shapes and sizes. Of course, in lore, there are fat humans, slim humans, agile humans, muscular humans, tall humans, short humans and so on. It's a pity this is not reflected in-game. I'd love to be able to select body type, of humans and others. Instead, we are bound to a general body type that shows the "general feel" of the fantasy behind that race.

So, I presume we are trying to understand why the "general feel" of kul tirans is what it is. And I think that explanation will boil down to one of the two I suggested, thought I also showed the flaws behind that thinking.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 03-26-2018, 01:10 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I mean, it's not science per se but observation can teach us A LOT about the Warcraft universe's take on evolution.
Let's take, just for a random example, the elfs. In the playable character races alone we got the following to choose from:
1.) Night Elfs
2.) Blood Elfs
3.) Void Elfs (ugh)
4.) Nightborne
5.) the original species, the Trolls, who come in a hulking form as well
6.) Zandalari Trolls
7.) and quite probably Goblins

And that's not even counting the myriad other near-elf creatures and / or elfish curses, mutations and so forth.

Now let's look at humans. We got
1.) Stormwind / Gilnean Humans
2.) Forsaken
3.) Kul'Tirans
4.) and the original Vrykul.
And, frankly, if we count the Vrykul, as we should, we should probably count the other fleshcursed-Titan Construct races as well. I mean, what's the difference aside from body type?
5.) Gnomes
6.) Dwarfs
7.) Darkiron Dwarfs

and if we're REALLY cheeky about it we'd be sitting here for days listing all the Titan Construct-offshoots too; they're almost as bad as elfs.

Now let's look at something with a lot less cursing or magic involved. Tauren seem to be the OG settlers besides Anquir and Trolls; there's some magic buffoonery here and there but looking at just the Tauren and the Taunka we see an astonishing difference in their entire facial structure. (I'm not a big fan of headcanoning but given the male's faces i feel like it's fair to assume the female Taunka look closer to them than female Tauren and it's just Blizzard being mercyful for bringing in a female option at all.)

My point is: if there even IS such a thing as genetics inside this setting, it's INCREDIBLY easy to manipulate, and not even just by magic, but more mundane outside circumstances as well. Real World Science may or may not laugh at the idea of Island Gigantism among Humans(frankly, i don't know, but i'd recon lifespan has more to do with it than physical size); in-universe observation says that humans developing the occassional strongman-bodytype and evolution running with it (and / or recalling some random Vrykul-traits that just cought on) is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, and in fact should be expected.

(For a related example recall the convoluted evolution of Orcs over on Draenor.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:20 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
That's an amazing model. He looks just like a Vrykul. The branches thing would be just from the undead state, and not natural. Maybe "Drust" is the name of a "nation", not of a race?

Changing the subject, apparently it has been datamined that Gazlowe is going to be part of a Horde affiliated NPC team in the Island Expeditions... What does that mean for the Steamwheedle Cartel's supposed neutrality?
Hasn't he always preferred the Horde? Besides, he's not the leader of the cartel is he?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:39 PM

Eternal

Alright, just to be clear, I wasn't making an argument that there's a case of island gigantism present (the only reason I brought that up was to counter Genesis' argument about island dwarfism) on Kul Tiras, my whole argument was and is that humans come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, hence there's no necessary need for a specific drust heritage. I'd also like to point out that not only does Kul Tiras have these larger humans next to those we are used to by now, there are also very thin models present, so I somehow doubt Blizzard is attempting some sort of half-vrykul (although I agree with Rotal that certain very large humans could easily be a product of the vrykul heritage all humans have), it is more likely they are simply giving Kul Tiras several new human shapes.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:45 PM

Arch-Druid

I agree with Marthen. There's no comments either in game or from a dev that give us any reason to think the humans of Kul Tiras have drust or vrykul heritage. It's just new body types.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:32 PM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Hasn't he always preferred the Horde? Besides, he's not the leader of the cartel is he?
Yes, he has, but "being more favorable to the Horde than to the Alliance" is quite a distance from "being willing to kill Alliance (or die to them) for the sake of Horde possession of uncharted islands".

Also, he's not the leader of the cartel, but he's the leader of Ratchet, which is an important Steamwheedle base. I think that means he's pretty high up in the cartel hierarchy.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:47 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
Yes, he has, but "being more favorable to the Horde than to the Alliance" is quite a distance from "being willing to kill Alliance (or die to them) for the sake of Horde possession of uncharted islands".
This kind of argument doesn't make sense in the world of Warcraft. Never did, and never will.

Last edited by Krainz; 03-26-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Old 03-26-2018, 04:52 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

look it might be my sleeping pills but you motherfuckers better listen to me whern i post my pics on the discords ass. coz i already posted what he says gazzy guy say he want to sell shizzles to the alligizzle.sdqpo,-.
A
sdS
S
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Chimaera

I guess we're just gonna dance around the "We just though it'd be cool" style answer that tends to be the more commonly used one with regards to anythig Blizzard does?
Old 03-27-2018, 05:39 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
I don't think trying to explain things with science will work in a universe in which you can breathe in space and gravity is often neglected.

The two most likely explanations for the larger kul tirans are drust lineage or a particular kul tiran tradition to raise some of their people under special circunstances. Both are kinda flawed, thought, since we see normal and big humans side by side everywhere in kul tiras, instead of the larger ones being part of a separate ethnic group.
Whatever the case may be, Kul Tiras has killed my interest in this expansion.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Why is that?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Reclaiming Lordaeron, possibly Gilneas, fighting for Stromgarde, and general Kul Tiran lore ain’t enough for you? Also Dark Irons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:18 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I agree with Marthen. There's no comments either in game or from a dev that give us any reason to think the humans of Kul Tiras have drust or vrykul heritage. It's just new body types.
They describe the physiques of Kul Tirans and Drust with the same terms. Drust use distinctly human models ingame. Also,the Druids certainly look like their magic forms are related. The dots are there, if Blizzard ever intends to connect them.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:39 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Reclaiming Lordaeron, possibly Gilneas, fighting for Stromgarde, and general Kul Tiran lore ain’t enough for you? Also Dark Irons.
Gilneas is dead; Kul Tiras killed it and stole its stuff.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:50 AM

Elune

Quote:
Gilneas is dead; Kul Tiras killed it and stole its stuff.
Considering how much they said that they loved the Gilnean style, it's not surprising that they would try to bring it back in a more bigger way.

It really makes me wonder how much things would be different if they hadn't decided to completely abandon Gilneas after lvl 20.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:15 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Hearthstone is doing more with Gilneas than Warcraft is, lol.

But all will be forgiven if they ever consider adding that Blackwald/Witchwood concept as a new max level zone later on just to give Gilneans something to fight and reclaim the kingdom over.

For now though, Gilneas will stay the Hufflepuff House of the human kingdoms that are still Alliance until something cool is done with it.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:16 PM

Elune

New build, there's a Forsaken Felbat mount in the files. Curious.

edit:

Last edited by Arakiba; 03-27-2018 at 05:37 PM..
Old 03-27-2018, 06:13 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm glad that they are adding new character customization options. I'd love if they constantly did that, even if only tiny additions at a time.

But I find very strange that Blizzard hasn't talked about that at all.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:12 PM

Troubadour

Battle for Azeroth Warfronts - Alliance Plate Armor

https://imgur.com/a/DNfnN
Old 03-27-2018, 09:22 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
I'm glad that they are adding new character customization options. I'd love if they constantly did that, even if only tiny additions at a time.

Probably because they don't want to do the "Sure we'll do it" then get people clamoiring at their gates when they don't deliver for one reason or another

Better to just either not say anything or just be like "here" and then leave
Old 03-28-2018, 12:48 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:

Considering the shit they'll get for only giving stuff like that to the Horde they probably hoped people wouldn't notice. Especially if they plan something for the Alliance too.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:48 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sylvanas
Ever used an azerite bomb before? Want to witness true power? Brace yourself for impact, champion. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
All right, that's enough. Let's save some for the grand finale.
Hmmm

http://bfa.wowhead.com/news=283081/b...broadcast-text
Old 03-28-2018, 04:07 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Considering the shit they'll get for only giving stuff like that to the Horde they probably hoped people wouldn't notice. Especially if they plan something for the Alliance too.
That's one reason I find it strange they didn't talk any of this. Every interview they've been asked about old races, they could just have said something like: "No big plans. We will add some minor things, like a few golden eyed blood elf options or <insert something for Alliance>. But don't get your expectations high, our priority are the Allied Races."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
I was expecting that such a device would be the reason for Teldrassil's fire.

Also, I'm thinking this Captain Delaryn may be the wounded elf in the pictures.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:23 AM

Eternal

Quote:
That's one reason I find it strange they didn't talk any of this. Every interview they've been asked about old races, they could just have said something like: "No big plans. We will add some minor things, like a few golden eyed blood elf options or <insert something for Alliance>. But don't get your expectations high, our priority are the Allied Races."
When you look at their communication in the past months, it gets rather clear they've changed their approach to giving any hints, probably because they grew tired of all those "but you promised" and "cut, cut, cut" memes.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, quilboar bias, world of warcraft