Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2016, 12:56 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I don't predict the ratings will get any lower, I'll be surprised if that happens since I don't think that happens very often on RT. Chances are it might drop back to the 60's, but I somewhat doubt it.

I'm really not inclined to buy into the belief that studios pay critics to give good reviews, that's the kind of conspiracy theorist schlock that BvS fanboys try to throw out in order to shit on well-received Marvel films.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:41 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I don't predict the ratings will get any lower, I'll be surprised if that happens since I don't think that happens very often on RT. Chances are it might drop back to the 60's, but I somewhat doubt it.

I'm really not inclined to buy into the belief that studios pay critics to give good reviews, that's the kind of conspiracy theorist schlock that BvS fanboys try to throw out in order to shit on well-received Marvel films.
It's not that they are paying critics for good reviews. It's that Sony is inviting favorable outlets who are more likely to give the movie a good review to the early screenings. Look at what I posted as an example. They didn't invite very many listed as "Top Critics" (i.e. well know, well respected critics) but instead a lot of liberal blog sites like Vox, Polygon, etc (as well as a bunch of nobodies). Basically, they are polluting the early reviews with a high amount of favorables to get people to see it.

I suspect after opening that number will start to hover back down towards a 50%-ish spot.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
It's not that they are paying critics for good reviews. It's that Sony is inviting favorable outlets who are more likely to give the movie a good review to the early screenings. Look at what I posted as an example. They didn't invite very many listed as "Top Critics" (i.e. well know, well respected critics) but instead a lot of liberal blog sites like Vox, Polygon, etc (as well as a bunch of nobodies). Basically, they are polluting the early reviews with a high amount of favorables to get people to see it.

I suspect after opening that number will start to hover back down towards a 50%-ish spot.
Yeah, earlier I noted how a lot of the reviewers were some of the same ones that made a giant stink over James Rolfe so I wouldn't be too skeptical of the idea that they made up their minds before seeing the actual movie.

I'm still of the mind that critics are just going to love the absolute shit out of this, but what I really wonder is if it'll still make a truckload of money despite the garbage the cast and crew have spewed at its fan-base and target audience.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah, earlier I noted how a lot of the reviewers were some of the same ones that made a giant stink over James Rolfe so I wouldn't be too skeptical of the idea that they made up their minds before seeing the actual movie.

I'm still of the mind that critics are just going to love the absolute shit out of this, but what I really wonder is if it'll still make a truckload of money despite the garbage the cast and crew have spewed at its fan-base and target audience.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Yeah that's also likely too.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:18 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Old 07-14-2016, 04:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
The continuing existence of Five Night's at Freddies is proof that there is no God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:42 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

I've been hearing it's a decent film, though I'm not yet moved to watch it myself. Keeping in mind that I don't go to see very many films in theaters...

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 07-14-2016, 09:57 PM

Elune

From what I heard, every male character in this movie is either an idiot or evil.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 07-14-2016 at 10:01 PM..
Old 07-15-2016, 06:03 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
From what I heard, every male character in this movie is either an idiot or evil.
Are you triggered?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
The continuing existence of Five Night's at Freddies is proof that there is no God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:15 AM

Banished

Feminism is grounded in man contempt.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:27 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I'm almost certain it'll be a middling-mediocre movie
Can I say "Called it!" yet, or is that still too soon?
Old 07-15-2016, 05:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Can I say "Called it!" yet, or is that still too soon?
Yeah.

It's funny because I've never seen so much euphoria over such a mediocre reception to the movie. I mean, the people who were expecting it to be another Fant4stic were wrong but it's still hilarious how overblown people are making the reception to be. ("OMG THE TROLL HATERS WERE WRONG, THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!!!")

Granted the opposite side doesn't look much better, this whole thing has made an ass out of everyone who honestly cared way more about it than they needed to.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:56 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Just got back from it,

I went in ambivalent to cautiously optimistic, came out loving it. Honestly it's one of the best movies I've seen this year.

What I really liked is that it tried to be its own thing in many ways. While there are plenty of nods to the original they were brief (for example the firehouse headquarters and Stay Puft Marshmallow Man are actually fake outs that appear for only about a minute each), it has a drastically different tone and characters. You can't just go "oh that's the female!Peter or female!Egon." The humor and movie overall is a lot more light-hearted and not really slapstick, but, the closest I can come to describing it is "a dialogue heavy live-action cartoon." And that works because the dialogue is hilarious. Rick and Morty is a good example of what I mean by that.

That it does diverge from the tone of the original is perhaps its greatest strength. It makes me see this Ghostbusters as its own thing, and as its own thing its really good.

The female cast also is pretty neat, they're good characters that are distinct from the original ghostbusters and hilarious in their own right, and just seeing an all female hero team dealing with this kind of sci-fi plot is really refreshing just for how, at the moment, unique it is.

Leslie Jones as Patty even surprised me. The trailers greatly overplay her being a loud black woman stereotype. That's still there a bit, but she actually has a lot of depth, and more characterization than Winston from the original. For example, she doesn't join the Ghostbusters to be "the street smart dumb one" that the trailers suggest. When she says "You guys know that science stuff but I know New York" she actually means she's an amateur historian with near encyclopedic knowledge of New York's history from Colonial times to present day. This comes in handy in discovering the villain's plan.

Chris Hemsworth as their receptionist Kevin absolutely steals the show. He's a genderswapped parody of the "guys hire a dumb receptionist just because she looks pretty" cliche (a problem which notoriously hit The Real Ghostbusters cartoon and the writers are still angry about).

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 07-16-2016 at 12:56 AM..
Old 07-15-2016, 08:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Leslie Jones as Patty even surprised me. The trailers greatly overplay her being a loud black woman stereotype. That's still there a bit, but she actually has a lot of depth, and more characterization than Winston from the original. For example, she doesn't join the Ghostbusters to "the street smart dumb one" that the trailers suggest. When she says "You guys know that science stuff but I know New York" she actually means she's an amateur historian with near encyclopedic knowledge of New York's history from Colonial times to present day. This comes in handy in discovering the villain's plan.
I've heard this as well, and the information definitely improved my disposition toward the film. Honestly, I still don't really feel like spending the money on a ticket, but I might go see it if some friends do.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 07-15-2016, 11:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
When she says "You guys know that science stuff but I know New York" she actually means she's an amateur historian with near encyclopedic knowledge of New York's history from Colonial times to present day. This comes in handy in discovering the villain's plan.
how much whining would have stopped if they had just outright admitted that in the press info....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:54 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
"This caters to idiots."
Old 07-16-2016, 09:44 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
how much whining would have stopped if they had just outright admitted that in the press info....
I'm pretty sure the entire marketing plan around this movie was centered on making it some big feminist statement or some bullcrap.

Also, I liked this review:
Old 07-16-2016, 12:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

I love how it's being marketed and defended as a strong statement of feminism - and starts out with a joke about queefing, and ends with the big bad from the first movie being zapped in the nuts.

Maybe people will now learn that it doesn't matter which foot the shoe is on in Hollywood, it will nevertheless be a mind-numbingly dumb cash grab either way, devoid of any actual wit or depth.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:53 PM

World Builder

Quote:

Chris Hemsworth as their receptionist Kevin absolutely steals the show. He's a genderswapped parody of the "guys hire a dumb receptionist just because she looks pretty" cliche (a problem which notoriously hit The Real Ghostbusters cartoon and the writers are still angry about).
Just saw it, enjoyed it.

I agree with the Rick and Morty vibe.

I do disagree on Kevin though, felt a bit -too- dumb and random.

Pleasantly surprised that zany engineer whose name I can't spell was not gratingly random though, she was pretty good.

The opening was great except for the word-art title, but the second half felt a bit disjointed / rushed, though I did like how they gradually worked up tech and experience over time rather than montaging it.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-18-2016, 11:44 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Didn't see it in the theaters and I likely won't.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...busters-911836

It's a disaster.

Unlike Warcraft, it won't have an enormous foreign take to make up the difference. Sony's going to take a bath on this one.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:07 PM

Banished

Social Justice wins again.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdus View Post
Social Justice wins again.
How? The movie is a financial failure so far both domestically and international. Warcraft is very popular outside the states and it made a small profit. Ghostbusters isn't popular at all outside the states. And it won't even be released in China.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Didn't see it in the theaters and I likely won't.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...busters-911836

It's a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
How? The movie is a financial failure so far both domestically and international. Warcraft is very popular outside the states and it made a small profit. Ghostbusters isn't popular at all outside the states. And it won't even be released in China.
I think he was being sarcastic.

On another note, couple of silly bits in this video but it still manages to be on point.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:54 PM

Elune

Tags
duplicate thread, entertainment