Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 03-25-2017, 11:44 PM

Elune

Default Starcraft Remastered

Seems it was announced just a little while ago. Due to the time right now, I imagine it was in South Korea.

Official Site.

Features include:

-Remastered Graphics
-Revised Dialogue and Audio
-Blizzard Friends and Matchmaking
-Classic StarCraft Gameplay

And yes, apparently its all like it was back then, stacking and all.

Additionally, original Starcraft and Brood War are now free to play, though you'll have to pay for the HD upgrade if you want it.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:53 AM

Chimaera

Ah, yes. The game I've wasted so much time on playing LANs as a teen.
Might check it out.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:13 AM

Eternal

All I'd want from a remastered version of Warcraft II. Well, that, and a better editor.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:57 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
All I'd want from a remastered version of Warcraft II. Well, that, and a better editor.
Agreed.
Best thing they could add to the editor is materials import, most importantly sprites.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:17 AM

Another interesting detail: Classic and HD will work with each other, including matches and replays.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:03 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

I really can't help but wonder how much they can really charge for this super minor HD upgrade (that looks put together by an intern). Funny enough most people I think would have been happy if they just released it in the SC2 engine which is to say, a number of projects by fans they shut down. This just looks like slightly fewer pixels in a 20 yearold game, can you really honestly charge for that?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
I really can't help but wonder how much they can really charge for this super minor HD upgrade (that looks put together by an intern). Funny enough most people I think would have been happy if they just released it in the SC2 engine which is to say, a number of projects by fans they shut down. This just looks like slightly fewer pixels in a 20 yearold game, can you really honestly charge for that?
Uhm, yes? They remade all assets, including the unit sprites, structures, tilesets, UI interface, upped the resolution, added a zoom functionality, re-recorded the soundtrack and dialogue. All of that costs ressources and are valid reasons for charging for the remaster. On top of that, the classic game will be updated as well to benefit from the non-cosmetic changed but be free to play.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:25 AM

Owl Scout

I think they had to recreate all the sprites from scratch, as it will be in 4k resolution. Also they recreated all the sounds and added new features, the site also state "Stylized Briefings:Race-themed comic book interludes tell the original story with a fresh coat of paint." I don't mind paying for this, even more if it means they may remake Warcraft 2 too.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:29 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Blizzard! EVerything is forgiven!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:49 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post

Blizzard! EVerything is forgiven!
I dunno about everything, this is like... 30-45% forgiveness at best imo.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-26-2017, 10:26 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Now do WarCraft 2
Old 03-26-2017, 10:47 AM

Hmm, I can only imagine them remastering Diablo 2 and maaaaybe Warcraft 3.

While I wouldn't mind a remaster of WC2, blizzard did give the impression to not being interested in that or WC1. :/

Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM

Eternal

So apparently Dragoon pathfinding will still be as dumb as it was, because it would upset the meta. And control groups would have a max of 12 as well.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:37 PM

Elune

looking forward to original Infested Kerrigan sprite in HD.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:36 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Old 03-27-2017, 05:19 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
Hmm, I can only imagine them remastering Diablo 2 and maaaaybe Warcraft 3.

While I wouldn't mind a remaster of WC2, blizzard did give the impression to not being interested in that or WC1. :/
I think about the only way we'll see this is if people do a campaign with Staredit and custom reskins.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:27 PM

Arch-Druid

If they had added additional features (things like being able to upgrade your tech, or speaking to characters between missions) I'd like it. That is one thing that I unambiguously enjoyed in both Heart and Wings (I'm finally getting around to playing Legacy in April). It broadened the world and fleshed out the characters being able to talk to them between missions and getting to know them. In the original campaign you kinda have to look in the manual for backstory and a lot of development occurs offscreen. Imagine if in the first game Raynor and Kerrigan converse on the Hyperion and become friendlier with each other.

I won't go into a debate about story but in presentation? SC2 ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY blows SC1 out of the water.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
If they had added additional features (things like being able to upgrade your tech, or speaking to characters between missions) I'd like it. That is one thing that I unambiguously enjoyed in both Heart and Wings (I'm finally getting around to playing Legacy in April). It broadened the world and fleshed out the characters being able to talk to them between missions and getting to know them. In the original campaign you kinda have to look in the manual for backstory and a lot of development occurs offscreen. Imagine if in the first game Raynor and Kerrigan converse on the Hyperion and become friendlier with each other.

I won't go into a debate about story but in presentation? SC2 ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY blows SC1 out of the water.
I'll grant you this, I'd have liked to actually see the Magistrate return from his dinner party to find new messages in that one briefing. It was a nice bit of dialog from my adjutant, and seeing it in navigable gamespace could have been fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:02 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Seems it was announced just a little while ago. Due to the time right now, I imagine it was in South Korea.

Official Site.

Features include:

-Remastered Graphics
-Revised Dialogue and Audio
-Blizzard Friends and Matchmaking
-Classic StarCraft Gameplay

And yes, apparently its all like it was back then, stacking and all.

Additionally, original Starcraft and Brood War are now free to play, though you'll have to pay for the HD upgrade if you want it.
This is... weird. I don't understand this decision at all.

They already have SC2, and they should be interested on promoting it, not SC1. Remaking SC1 in SC2 through an official mod (there's fan mods already) would have been a better idea, trying to bring back nostalgia players that left because they didn't like SC2's setup.

Speaking of leaving players, the reasons were Blizzard killing the eSports scene, and then just better eSports games rising in the spot they left.

Overall, this is a stupid idea. A waste of resources that doesn't really lead anywhere at all. Yeah, it's nice to have, I guess, but that's not my point. My point is, why? What do they get for this? Why not try alternate approaches with more benefits?

Since HD won't be free, they aren't doing this just for the sake of art and respect towards the fans, if that was your excuse.

What puzzles me the most is that they seem to have given up on SC2. They built a really good engine with a really good editor (albeit too complicated and not very user-friendly) and they aren't using it for anything at all (HotS might use it or not, but it's a separate title so wasted opportunity). The SC2 arcade could be a game on its own with just a bit of love, for fuck's sake.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 03-28-2017, 07:59 PM

Priestess of the Moon

It doesn't take a huge team to get this done. It's efficient and easy to monetize. It's also exactly what fans want out of a 1:1 remake, not some asset conversion into 3D with new physics and altered gameplay. Look at the Diablo 3 Old Tristram event to see what I mean by that.

This is likely handled by a small crew with most of the art assets outsourced to cheaper companies in India or China. It's not a huge blow to existing resources, nor does it conflict with anything going on with SC2. They are doing this because they can, and it's exactly what fans want.

Alternate approaches with more benefits would involve more resources poured into things that fans don't want changed anyways. As long as this new game can support all the old maps and features of classic SC, I think many fans will be pleased with a simply facelift. That is, as long as it's decently priced.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 PM

Arch-Druid

I actually found a comment by Total Biscuit, what he believes is the real reason for the remaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit
"Brood Wars" gah

The reason this is being remastered is a pretty simple one and it's South Korea. SC2 despite uninformed belief to the latter did not take off in South Korea with the fans, despite most of the pro-scene switching over (more-so because they had no real choice, that was where the money was, that was where the tournaments were and Broodwar had taken a lot of damage from the SAviOr match-fixing scandal that scared off a lot of sponsors). Brood War continued to be a more popular game in PC Bangs than SC2 by a large margin (mostly due to UMS and the Fish server), efforts to convert fans to watching SC2 were for the most part a failure, even with brief spikes of interest when Broodwar stars like Flash and Jaedong switched. They have since gone back to Broodwar and recent Broodwar tournaments have had massive spikes in viewership on Afreeca (South Korean streaming service) and at times are eclipsing Starcraft 2 events even without much viewership in non-Korean countries.

There's basically no hope of ever getting Korea to accept SC2. Starcraft Remastered is the answer to that, giving South Korea exactly what they've been asking for over a decade and putting in the necessary features and support to encourage large-scale Broodwar competition in South Korea again. In short, it's not made for us. It's made for them. If we buy it (and some will) then great, but that's not their concern. South Korea will buy it. Any changes made to the game that in any way affected the way it is played or its balance would not be tolerated. People who want modern changes such as UI improvements, unlimited groups, multi-building hotkeys, auto-rallying workers, then go and play Starcraft 2.

Anyone complaining about the way this remaster is being done has fundamentally misunderstood what and who it's for. Blizzard wants South Korea back, they want Starcraft to be loved over there again and this is the only way they can make that happen.
Here more on why Brood War is still way more popular than SC2 in Korea.

http://kotaku.com/starcraft-brood-wa...016-1755023194

Last edited by Vineyard; 03-30-2017 at 02:49 PM..
Old 03-31-2017, 11:19 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
I actually found a comment by Total Biscuit, what he believes is the real reason for the remaster.

Here more on why Brood War is still way more popular than SC2 in Korea.

http://kotaku.com/starcraft-brood-wa...016-1755023194
Yeah, that's the only explanation to all of this, cause Blizzard doesn't give a damn about fan wishes, because they are not profitable. "What the fans want" my ass.

Still, it's damn sad. Koreans don't love SC1 because of the graphics, they love it because the balance and the gameplay. Blizzard has neglected SC2 balance forever (back in the day tournaments refused to use official maps, and used a few tricks and custom changes because they didn't like balance, like the infamous burrowed neutral supply depot next to ramps and such), everyone was telling them they were going to fuck up, and didn't bother fixing many of the problems until years after release, when no one was playing anymore.

They could just remake SC1 gameplay and balance in SC2, and it would be fine. It would make people interested in SC2 as well, and open the way for monetization through skins and such, which SC1 can't be adapted for.

What I see here is that Blizzard doesn't even understand why people doesn't like SC2 to begin with.

And even then, SC has no potential as a franchise anymore, not without changes so heavy the new title would be SC only in name. The story from SC1 was pretty basic, and they didn't expand shit with SC2, instead cutting down storylines and plots from the first game, in rather unsatisfactory ways to make things even worse. New races and cultures (even if not playable) were necessary for the growth of the franchise, and they didn't happen.

SC2 has always been a clusterfuck of how to do things wrong from dozens of angles, and they haven't learned anything from it. If something, this move to refresh interest in SC1 will only help to kill SC2 further.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 03-31-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Old 04-01-2017, 07:41 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, that's the only explanation to all of this, cause Blizzard doesn't give a damn about fan wishes, because they are not profitable. "What the fans want" my ass.
This is still totally what a ton of fans want too.

SC2 in large part (for the NA audience) was kind of a failure in tone. The music was really different, characterization had more emphasis, and yes there were issues with the gameplay. (Too clean, too smooth, too much deathball.)

I don't even think it's really an issue with the UI improvements -- i.e. Worker Rallies, multi-building selection, macro play. That's impressive, but it's not as exciting.

Like SC2 is just not as well designed on every level as SC1 was. The technology they used to make it is better, their capabilities are better, but the heart and soul of the game is weaker. And I really, really don't think it's the lack of new races that hurt it.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:19 PM

Arch-Druid

Okay I'm sorry but that's nostalgia talking. BW and SC1 often had "build up army, send it to enemy base, blow the fuck out of them." in missions. SC2 missions had more variety to them. Single player missions in SC2 were more varied and were not only well constructed but technically superior. And though it had rough patches the increased emphasis on characterization was NOT a flaw, but rather a strength. Blizzard ALWAYS wanted to convey an epic space opera storyline so saying "they just didn't care" is a load of crap. Whether you agree with their direction they certainly gave it their all and took it the way they wanted.

BW and SC1 were limited by the tech of their era, so they couldn't characterize as much. They also couldn't have as much variety in their message or flesh things out (you had to rely on the manual if you wanted to know the backstory).

Case in point: if you made SC1 now you could have Kerrigan and Raynor interact, with Raynor actually learning about her past and getting closer (whether in love or just as a comrade). As a result Mengsk's betrayal hits a lot harder. The Cutscene of New Gettysburg hits far harder than the original one because you see Kerrigan realize she's been betrayed and abandoned, hear the panic in Raynor's voice, and see the tragedy unfold.)

Presentation wise SC2 VASTLY surpassed BW (I won't discuss story merits).

Let's put it this way. When you're on Aiur and encountering the Overmind's corpse it looks like an ancient blasted entity. The atmosphere is creepy as hell and you can see this as some ancient entity that's dead. In SC1...it was a single unit building.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:31 AM

Arch-Druid

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/4295...raft-2-pathing

This Team Liquid article, which was also featured in the Kotaku article, emphasizes in a lot more details about the differences between BW and SC2.

It mostly featured on how the limited tech of BW created a completly different gameplay than featured in SC2, which seamingly alienated BW "veterans".

SC2 plays much more faster than BW and is in many ways much more unforgiving to mistakes.

Also apparently, BW has a "hard to master" feeling, that greatly appeals to this playerbase. (Since, yeah, it took them years to master the game and they couldn't really use their experience in SC2.)

And the casting addon issue sadly is true. It's quite easy to predict the outcome of a game in SC2, when you see how one of the players has fallen back in terms of ressources, minutes in advance.

Tags
blizzard, starcraft