Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #57476  
Old 04-08-2018, 05:47 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,011

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I take it you're not very familiar with the American Revolution.
Two hundred years out of date, but no matter. Observe the bit about 'splitting the military forces enough.'
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #57477  
Old 04-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,108

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Two hundred years out of date, but no matter. Observe the bit about 'splitting the military forces enough.'
You mean like in the American Revolution? The regulars did most of the actual heavy fighting. The militia didn't even fight the British regulars head-to-head except for a few times. The militia was mostly just a bunch of random guys with fowlers and sometimes rifles and couldn't really match up to the artillery and warships of the largest military in the world (though there are some instances of those being in possession of militia types).
The tactics the militia used were generally referred to as "Indian warfare" or "skulking" and constantly harassing the British using their greater knowledge of the local area. Catching them with their pants down and engaging in hit & run tactics. Pretty much what we would call guerrilla warfare today.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #57478  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,006

Default

Quote:
Militias in the US will never win versus the government, unless they can somehow split the military forces enough
Most studies done on the subject has the majority of the United States Military join the people. Thats including ones who stay in their posts to screw around the other side.

On top of that, modern weapons wont be used by the US government. First one would make it an international issue.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #57479  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:19 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,004

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Most studies done on the subject has the majority of the United States Military join the people. Thats including ones who stay in their posts to screw around the other side.

On top of that, modern weapons wont be used by the US government. First one would make it an international issue.
To me it seems there is a growing gap between the soldiers and the public. The soldiers are all payed professionals, sent into distant battlefields for fairly abstract reasons. They have little in common with the relatively pampered civilians, some civilians may claim to love the troops but they don't get the situation the soldiers are in. Add in political divergences, wealth inequality and classism and a bunch of other things one of you Yanks would be more familiar with and the gap grows day by day. To me it is not at all inconceivable that in the not so distant future some US official may order the soldiers to shoot and that they will obey. Some of them anyway, and it only takes some since after you shed blood there is no way to unshed it. Violence will breed violence and things can spiral out of control very easily (i.e. someone shoots civies, civies lynch some soldiers, soldiers shoot more civies...).

All great empires fell because of deep institutional faults most could perceive but no one had the capability or desire to fix. Thinking that just because something has not happened yet or hasn't happened in a long time that it is impossible is a pretty sure way to enable that thing to happen. Take nothing for granted and dynamically solve problems, that is how a state remains healthy.
Reply With Quote
  #57480  
Old 04-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,006

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
To me it seems there is a growing gap between the soldiers and the public. The soldiers are all payed professionals, sent into distant battlefields for fairly abstract reasons. They have little in common with the relatively pampered civilians, some civilians may claim to love the troops but they don't get the situation the soldiers are in. Add in political divergences, wealth inequality and classism and a bunch of other things one of you Yanks would be more familiar with and the gap grows day by day. To me it is not at all inconceivable that in the not so distant future some US official may order the soldiers to shoot and that they will obey. Some of them anyway, and it only takes some since after you shed blood there is no way to unshed it. Violence will breed violence and things can spiral out of control very easily (i.e. someone shoots civies, civies lynch some soldiers, soldiers shoot more civies...).

All great empires fell because of deep institutional faults most could perceive but no one had the capability or desire to fix. Thinking that just because something has not happened yet or hasn't happened in a long time that it is impossible is a pretty sure way to enable that thing to happen. Take nothing for granted and dynamically solve problems, that is how a state remains healthy.
Some absolutely will stay and side with the government. Its the reality of the situation. Even more will sit it out completely.

I dont think its impossible for soldiers to shoot citizens, and there are deep institutional rifts within the United States. I wont deny that.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #57481  
Old 04-13-2018, 06:02 PM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,810
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

The easiest way to have soldiers shoot civilians is to have the soldiers be from somewhere else in the country. Like the Chinese soldiers who crushed the Tienanmen Square protests were from the country, and thus had a bias against city people. Or all the stuff about US police patrolling areas where they don't live in.

Similarly, the soldiers who would shoot civilians would not be from that area at all. A generic white Trumper from Mississippi would probably shoot at Californians or New Yorkers. Similarly, some liberal from California probably wouldn't mind shooting at southerners they perceive as being lesser by virtue of seeming racist, ignorant, etc.

Beyond that, there's no way any one side will ever truly take over, with or without the Second Amendment.

If Obama declared himself president for life back in 2016, he'd be taken down before any anti-government militia put on. Similarly, if Trump were to declare himself president for life now, he'd also be taken down rapidly.

Trump Pardons Scooter Libby in a Case That Mirrors His Own

So much for the party of personal responsibility.
__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #57482  
Old 04-16-2018, 02:00 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,108

Darkmoon Card: Elementals


Those looking for an NRA alternative may also be interested in Gun Owners of America, the Liberal Gun Club, or the Socialist Rifle Association.

In related news, the Democrats' advantage for this year's elections is dwindling in concert with their push against gun rights.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1cc_story.html
__________________
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 04-16-2018 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #57483  
Old 04-22-2018, 01:07 AM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,810
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

Watch this judge brutally berate a woman in a wheelchair. The woman died. The judge has quit.

I shouldn't read the news before bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
In related news, the Democrats' advantage for this year's elections is dwindling in concert with their push against gun rights.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1cc_story.html
Shame.
__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #57484  
Old 04-24-2018, 06:59 AM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,810
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #57485  
Old 05-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Reinhardt Reinhardt is offline

Arch-Druid
Reinhardt's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,005

Default

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...r-north-572296

Because when I think about "responsible gun ownership" the first thing that comes to mind is "Islamic republic of Iran" and "Contras".
Reply With Quote
  #57486  
Old 05-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,006

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...r-north-572296

Because when I think about "responsible gun ownership" the first thing that comes to mind is "Islamic republic of Iran" and "Contras".
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #57487  
Old 05-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,108

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

I've been talking shit about the NRA for years. Personally, I've always been more of a fan of GOA. There's also the LGC.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.